• LocationAnatolia

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Why House Steiner?
Tell me your reasons fellows

#2 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

While I inherently disapprove of a thread solely dedicated to self-aggrandizement, especially since multiple other threads address this question with more subtlety and Sarna.net has all the info you could want about why the Lyran Commonwealth is attractive, I will refer you to a slightly edited version of a post I made earlier today, in response to the notion that Assault Mechs are too expensive to waste on noobs.
---

My friend, you have much to learn about House Steiner. The Lyran Commonwealth excels at placing noobs within Assault Mechs.

The reasons for this are threefold:

1) Survivability. Unlike other empires, we in the Lyran Commonwealth value our soldiers. They are our collective sons and daughters, and they are far less expendable than some hunk of metal. We place our mechpilots in the mechs that we think will bring them home safely, and let them gain experience without undue risk of life and limb.

2) Non-Aggression. The Lyran Commonwealth is more concerned with keeping its borders safe than with territorial expansion. We have a defensive combat doctrine, centered around guarding our many industrialized worlds. To that end, an Assault Mech is the finest choice for area denial. Should the situation grow more dire, they are nightmares to face in urban combat. They mesh very well with our objectives.

3) Excessive wealth. The fact is, the Lyran Commonwealth is filthy rich. Everything we touch turns shiny and valuable. What's a House to do with all this wealth? Well, build exotic ice castles on frozen worlds, of course! But after we built a sufficient number of Bond villain igloo palaces, it seemed the next best thing would be to spend it on giant robo-men, so that we could have massive, real-life Rock 'Em Sock 'Em free-for-alls. And, um, defend ourselves.

Edited by revanus, 13 February 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#3 Valcoer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII Silesia

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

There is only one reason I have played lcaf for so long. Because I was born into it and all my friends seem to be here. I would sure hate to have to blast away at Rab, woolf, Dragon, wild hog, GI Joe, Castor, Zen, RipTide, and countless others I consider to be my brothers. Is there a better reason? not even remotely possible. The real question should be how could anyone play some other house knowing they would have to face us?

#4 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

I think what revanus is saying can be summed in one sentance:

we haz ALTAS!

#5 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

I prefer AYBABTU:

All Your Battlemechs Are Belong To Us.

#6 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

Why House Steiner

Because Atlas. and because you get to buddy up with the coolest mechwarriors on the block- House Davion.

#7 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Steiner?
Scout Lance weigth: 80 tons
Medium equiped Lance: 85 tons
Heavy Lance: 90 tons
Assault Lance: Haz Atlas ^^

#8 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostHenry Pride, on 15 February 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Scout Lance weigth: 80 tons

I still think those chargers are too light. We should replace them with something that has actually battlemech weight. Stalkers perhaps.

Also, +1 to revanus.
I could not have said that better.

#9 Sammy D o C

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostBluey, on 13 February 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Why House Steiner?
Tell me your reasons fellows

The consistent character of it's officers, of which I was never a part and always gladly served.

#10 Death Blossom

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Because the first Mechwarrior game was as a merc unit affiliated with Steiner. And I like that fist.

Hail fist!

#11 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

Arc-Royal just happens to be here.

PS. Could you guys cut it out with the "miss-fires" already. The "trash-born" thing doesn't really bother me. But the shooting-me-in-the-back-for-no-reason thing is starting to **** me off. Thank you.
*goes back to fending off yet another Jade Pigoen raid*

Edited by Nathan K, 18 February 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#12 Henry Pride

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWorms, Germany

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostDFDelta, on 16 February 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

I still think those chargers are too light. We should replace them with something that has actually battlemech weight. Stalkers perhaps.

Stalkers, are u kiddin me? Dont tell me u wanne drive a Submarine with legs....
I would pick a Zeus.....

#13 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

Because we get a ton of great 'mechs, by either purchase or production. That and we generally don't have people gunning for us all the time like Davion does. ;)

#14 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Because I'm into courtly intrigue, and (from a RP perspective) I like the idea of a social and military structure where one needs both political and military skill to truly prosper.

Edited by Lina Thoren, 20 February 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#15 Prince Ian Davion

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Australia

;)

#16 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:01 AM

Because all the cool Kids are in house Steiner... Morgan Kell and ... actually Morgan Kell is enough the man is so cool he makes spending a decade in a Catholic Monastery seem cool.

Who else can manage that.

Steiner also employs the most mercenaries and treat them well, which is great from our point of view as semi-independent military contractors. Which fits in well with my Character concept.

#17 KANE LIVES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 108 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTOTALLY not somewhere worshiping a toaster.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Atlases

#18 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

@General
as is was said to choose the Lyran Commenwealth means to get healthy supply and heavier mechs. To say its assaults only is a lie because one of the more iconic Lyran Battlemechs is the lacklustering Commando.
In every argumentation why Steiner I read: Atlas, Atlas Atlas it gets on my nerves. The AS7-D is a formidabl mech, but only in the right hands and only in a handful of battles. The right use of an Atlas means more than dropping 100t on a enemy position - heck the Atlas is a command vehicle no classical assault.

However thanks to the current and the last member of the royal family House Steiner sufferd a lot. Thats why a clever pilot tries to get into the Mark Tamar or Mark Skye while Tamar is safe thanks to political manouvers...ignoring the blood spiled by soldiers of the LCS the Mark Skye is important for Mechs, Dropships and Scotch

@Adridos
The ConCap is also known for loving Davions and presenting him more worlds than his army would ever be able to conquere. Not to forget brand new Black Jacks with double heatsinks...i hope you see your failure in argumentation although in some cases you are right.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 21 February 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#19 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostAdridos, on 21 February 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Only reason a man has to join Steiner is because he's a noob.

Only mechs you use are the biggest and the ones with most "DAKKA, DAKKA,..." effect in them. Becoming a mechwarrior, or (help God) commander is through "butt kissing" as we call it.

And teaming up with Daviots?! You watched as they've stolen all your money and then kicked you out.

In my opinion, Lyrans are the dumbest of the IS, with no real skills. And that is quiet an accomplishment, since "Being stupid is hard, because competition is always high.", and Daviots are really tough opponents. :P

Also a quote: "The Lyran Commonwealth is also classically known for inept military commanders, who gain their status through social settings and favors rather than training and skill – often hailing from rich families. This has been known as a crippling factor for the Successor State, as their equipment and technology easily outpaced their rivals in the first three Succession Wars. The trend of poor commanders continued into the Federated Commonwealth era and continued into the civil war, doubtlessly leading to their eventual defeat."

*Turns his throttle for the smallest possible speed and laughs at the angry mob of assaults trying to catch him, but failing at it*

Don't have to catch you, you're still at short range for my UAC/20, and you have exposed your back armor. Have a good day. *BLAMBLAM*

#20 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostEvinthal, on 21 February 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Don't have to catch you, you're still at short range for my UAC/20, and you have exposed your back armor. Have a good day. *BLAMBLAM*

And thats the reason why other houses think that Steiner pilots are dumb.
To travel in to the back of an enemy and get loose some shots is inefficient - actual it is a waste of ammunition because most mechs don't have such a strong rear armor. SRMs, lighter ACs, medlaser , possible under some circumstances even the large laser are for shoting into the back.
AC 20 is for frontal use...therefor it was made
however the UAC20 is a development of the '60s actual we have the 50's so good luck to find a UAC20. The next weapon to this is the AC20 - and is widely used by the ConCap (urbanmech, charger, highlander...) hope you see the ironies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users