New Players Start Here (Pretty Please!)

656 replies to this topic

#641 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

New player here. I've been spending a lot of time in the testing grounds trying to get accustomed to piloting. I've found that MWO is NOTHING like the old MW PC games when it comes to driving, much less weapons employment. I got my joystick working, but it's super slow compared to using the mouse - I'm learning to deal with the mouse.

I think I'll jump into matches when I can at least point a mech in the direction I want it to go before I get ripped open.

#642 GeneraalN

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thank you

#643 Shindj

Clone

• 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:11 AM

I tryed to start a new thread for this but the the saving post page is frozen. Is there a quota before you can start threads?

Question though how do I join community warfare/team games?

#644 Shindj

Clone

• 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:23 AM

Also can you use twist joysticks for torso - Logi 3D Pro

#645 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hi. I want to know how hard it is to get new Mechs. Im saying that because they say the first 25 missions give you bonus money, and in only 3 matches Ive garnered enough money to almost buy one light mech. I really want to buy one mech to toy with it a bit, but Im a bit afraid of buying one and then feeling it was wasted money and a lot of hours of gameplay.

Thanks.

#646 Pewpewzapzap

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Mayhaps add the big team speak community servers?

na1.mech-connect.net

and

NGNG

I know na1 has a large new player help section with folks who prowl there to help new players.

#647 Coanazgul

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

Am I to assume the only way to get a decent mech is to use my real life hard earned cash?becouse if so nice game but not worth it. Thx anyways

#648 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostCoanazgul, on 09 September 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

Am I to assume the only way to get a decent mech is to use my real life hard earned cash?becouse if so nice game but not worth it. Thx anyways

No, you can buy mechs with c-bills as well. The only mechs you can not buy with the c.bill ingame currency, are hero and champion mechs.

While hero mechs are special variants of the normal mechs with an additional 30 % c-bill income boost, they are not actually weaker or stronger then normal mechs. They are just different.

Champion mechs are from the normal mech variants, but with a custom loadout already installed. On top of that, they'll earn an additional 10 % of experience. Any normal mech of the same variant can be fitted just like the champions.

When you enter the mechlab and choose to buy a new mech, you have five types of mechs you can purchase (icons on top of the scroll down mech list). The first is for hero and champion mechs, the second for normal light mechs, the third for mediums, the fourth for heavies and the last for assault mechs. The c-bill mechs will be in the last four sections of those sections.

#649 JesterJim

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 26 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

THx very helpful

#650 AC8

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCentral US

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Good stuff, just what I needed to see.

#651 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

View PostPiney, on 21 August 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

New player here. I've been spending a lot of time in the testing grounds trying to get accustomed to piloting. I've found that MWO is NOTHING like the old MW PC games when it comes to driving, much less weapons employment. I got my joystick working, but it's super slow compared to using the mouse - I'm learning to deal with the mouse.

I think I'll jump into matches when I can at least point a mech in the direction I want it to go before I get ripped open.

Joysticks are awful in this game and you shouldn't use them, there is absolutely 0 dev support for them at the moment, so don't bother, use mouse + keyboard. Other than that it's pretty much exactly like the other MW games minus a few hotkeys.

View PostWarWise, on 29 August 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Hi. I want to know how hard it is to get new Mechs. Im saying that because they say the first 25 missions give you bonus money, and in only 3 matches Ive garnered enough money to almost buy one light mech. I really want to buy one mech to toy with it a bit, but Im a bit afraid of buying one and then feeling it was wasted money and a lot of hours of gameplay.

Thanks.

It's pretty difficult, depending on how much you play it can take anywhere from a day to a week depending on what mech chassis you want to get. So yes, save up your cadet bonus, do NOT buy a light, I wouldn't recommend them at all for a new player on top of the fact that they need really expensive upgrades in order to not be 1-hit KO free kills for everyone else. You'll want to spend your cadet bonus carefully since the mech you buy with it is going to be your "grinding" mech in the long term, so you'll want to make sure it's a good one.

Just toy around with the different trial mechs until you find a weight class and playstyle you like, then try asking again and I'll help you pick a good mech in that class.

#652 The Negotiator

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

I am posting this for all of the new players. Do not play this mech game the company does not listen to the community. If you were looking for a mechwarrior game this is not one of them. It is broken and wont be fixed. This is just a shooting game, where you are a mech now. If you are looking for a good Mech game right now go to hawken it doesn't claim to be mechwarrior but it is better than this fake.
Now I understand this comment will be deleted but I feel it is my duty to say that as long as there is 3rd person in this game it is not a mechwarrior game, and is just one more shooter. don't waste anymore time or money on this game.

-Sincerely a mechwarrior fan who cares and spent money on this game. GG

#653 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostThe Negotiator, on 26 September 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

But I feel it is my duty to say that as long as there is 3rd person in this game it is not a mechwarrior game, and is just one more shooter.

Mechwarrior 2:31st Century Combat - had 3rd person view
Mechwarrior 3 - had multiple 3rd person camera angles
Mechwarrior 4: Vengence - had 3rd person view
Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight - See Above
Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries - See Above

And that is just the ones I own.

#654 AntiKorper

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hey I am not sure if this is the right place for this. (sorry if not) but I could use some help please if anyone can help...
Right now I can not play MWO, because my my Joystick is unsupported, so no matter what I adjust in game it does not help and due to that piloting is very hard... I know it's a bit old, but hoping someone might help me out maybe with a patch so I can play a bit until I can get a new joystick.

My joystick is:Microsoft Force feedback 2...
I am able to get it to work with my Windows 8 and many other games...
but would love any help I can get to get this to work I am a long time Mech Warrior fan!

Any and all help would be great, many thanks!

AntiKörper

#655 St.Ives Lancer

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

How come I can not post or reply in my faction?

#656 JesterJim

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 26 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

Nice :)

#657 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostSt.Ives Lancer, on 05 October 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

How come I can not post or reply in my faction?

Someone else can probably answer it better, but roughly:

We were having a problem with trolls spamming the forum with alt-accounts to "prove" their points ("see? 50+ people agree with me!" type thing)
So for the duration of the "rookie" status (your first 25 matches) you are limited in which areas of the forum you can post in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users