120 replies to this topic

#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

Continuing the "most disliked" theme for today...

Battlemechs... we know them and love some and hate some... Let us all sit in a circle and sway to an fro rhythmically, while we share our feeling about out most disliked Mechs.

:D

Innersphere
  • Jagermech - I'm sorry.. I know I'm being superficial but IMHO this is if not one of the ugliest mech designs. To me it looks like like someone gave is a super-wedgy.
  • Ostscout - While I realize a dedicated scout Mech has it's place... but REALLY... a single mLaser? Okay, fine.. it's other weapon it the fact that it looks like like it was beat with an ugly stick and had it's hands amputated so it could not cover its face out of shame.
Clan
  • Fire Moth / Dasher - While functionally this is a good Mech design, it just looks sillier than all get out... I mean really what's the point of the reverse jointed arms? (yeah, I know pods) but really... put your arms down dude... your pits stink! To me, visually it looks like a little kid reaching with both arms over a counter top... Not exactly a design that exudes fear.
  • Stormcrow / Ryoken - Okay, another function over form design by our test-tube buddies... Okay Mech that looks like it's lost it's head. That and the arms simply look like an after thought... Almost as if right before the end of their shift at the Mech plant, someone found a pair of arms laying around and stuck them on as a lark for the next shift and nobody noticed...
These are mine... Let's hear yours!

:(

Edited by DaZur, 15 February 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

ugly doesnt usually bother me, but bad design does. while there are several i dont like, the firestarter is the worst on my list.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firestarter

4 flamers, 2 med lasers, 2 machine guns on a light mech. its like the designed it on purpose to suffer an ammo explosion. :(

#3 HATER 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

i have quite the list..... but the first that comes to my mind is the Falconer, from TRO 3055. Just a very strange, unappealing drawing that made no sense. next is the original Phoenix Hawk IIc. Lame drawing, lame figure, poor name choice, awesome design.

EDIT: firestarter made sense for me, it was designed as purely anti infantry and crowd control, same with the vulcan.

Edited by HATER-1, 15 February 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#4 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I always am one to like 'bad mechs' like the Charger or the Banshee since they fill out some interesting story/history space. On the other hand by the time the later TROs rolled out with brand new mechs having a mech like the original Fireball was unacceptable. Heck it was even reprinted that the variants sold better than the original with it's terrible Streak 2 and Machine Gun setup.

Fireball is my least favorite mech of all time.

#5 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

I had a problem with the Jagermechs looks as well as its abilities in the tabletop game. Unless you could keep the thing at distance from every enemy on the board, its paper thin armor was a serious issue. It had good constant damage at range, but very very low total output. Worst of all, first 10 years I played BT I played as House Davion, and our in house rules included your opponent picking one mech in every lance you fielded.

Damn my best friend and my own father for making me take a Jagermech every single fricking time.

Then, when I was finally not playing the table top, they introduce a Jager that was fully armored, with two rac-5s and a targeting comp. OH THE INJUSTICE!!!!

#6 Storm McIntyre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hmm... Okay, I'll take a stab at this one, although I'm probably going to catch a lot of flack for it...

Inner Sphere: For the record, I like the Jagermech. Ostroc and Ostsol were the ones I couldn't stand. Eggs with legs. Not the intimidating image I think the designers were shooting for, but that's what they always looked like to me.

Clan: Yeah, I agree with you on the Dasher. Its just... comical. To see one running across a battlefield reminded me of someone who had just put on deoderant and was trying desperately to get it to dry.

The rest of the clan mechs just look alien to me, which I think is what they were shooting for.

#7 Graefin Zeppelin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationHunting pirates at Sisyphus's Lament

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Yeah well the Jaegermech is a nightmare for aerotechs but against other mechs its sub par.

#8 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

For me appearance is everything. I hate the Panther, Wyvern, Hitman and a few other mechs of similar ugly design. The old Centurion, the new reseens are pretty hideous as well. The Kraken is ugly as hell and nopt in a good way, its like someone let an ork(another game reference) on the design team and it started bolting on more dakka.

#9 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Actually Ryoken isnt that bad ....
I used it alot

#10 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostStorm McIntyre, on 15 February 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Clan: Yeah, I agree with you on the Dasher. Its just... comical. To see one running across a battlefield reminded me of someone who had just put on deodorant and was trying desperately to get it to dry.

Thanks... That commentary and imagery right there caused an involuntary expulsion of my coffee. Well played... :(

#11 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostDaZur, on 15 February 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

Thanks... That commentary and imagery right there caused an involuntary expulsion of my coffee. Well played... :(

All its need one troll face on cockpit....

#12 Wyzak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 256 posts
  • LocationHartford, Vermont

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

I think my most disliked mech will always be the Cicada. I remember buying one in Mercenaries (MW2) for 4,000,000 C-Bills; I thought it would be so cool because of it's shape and fast speed. Then I found out it only included 1 energy weapon (and some SRMs). Not only was I disappointed on the next mission but the campaign became virtually unplayable due to all the money I spent on it.

Also the Longbow takes runner up because of my experiences in MW4, where all of the missiles were not so great and the Longbow only had missile slots.

#13 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hmmm...

The urbanmech to me is probably top of my list for IS, this is due to its unfounded popularity : \ That and its a walking death trap. Other then that.. there are a slew of awkward and ugly mechs I just dislike! I could go on for hours on just the light mechs alone for 3049

For clan. well.. most look ok, I dislike clan mechs because they present a challenge that got me stuck in games passed. Top of that list is the Thor.. it was one of the few mechs in MW3 that when I saw it, my heart sank because I knew it was going to mess me.. the annihilator for the same reason. After that is the Nova.. which I dislike because it has no torso twist and that is just weird.

#14 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

The Sentinel.
What a waste of tonnage! :(

Ugly too.

Edited by Felix Dante, 15 February 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#15 Neovenator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

For style and looks I would have to agree that the original artwork for the Ost series of mechs (Ostscout, Ostroc, Ostsol) was hideous. Just looking at the pictures made sure that I wouldn't play as these mehcs.

For design again the Ostscout comes to mind, as DaZur pointed out, one medium laser on a 35 ton mech, that's weak even the 20 ton mechs have slightly more weapons. The other mech that I couldn't stand was the Charger, an assault mech that carried 5 small lasers and the mechs armor was fairly weak for a mech design whose sole purpose is to get in close.

Edited by Neovenator, 15 February 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#16 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

Good or bad, BT mechs are all styled from various anime styles and generations that do not match. Robotech, Gundam, Shogun Warriors, and all the various other anime styles and generations. That bugs me personally but it is what it is. So, in regards to appearance and style, I dont like the protomechs much or the one that look like anime space knights, the ones that transform a la Robotech, or the robby the robot looking ones. I prefer the engines-of-war stylized mechs (for the american market) and not the space knights for kids.

In regards to weak or strong configs, each mech is built for an intented mission with the technology at the time. Each one would be great fun in their intended context. Also, some configs are more challenging to pilot requiring the pilot to use more skill and more courage than if they were in other mechs. You have to choose your battles, make do with what you have, and achieve mission objectives with less than ideal equipment. Thats when the pilot earns their name.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 15 February 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#17 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

You think are no ugly 'Mechs, just under-appreciated ones.
Then you meet the Imp.

#18 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Most disliked mech? Mhh... *thinks hard*

Stylewise, some of the more humanoid designs are bordering the uncanny valley.
The MWO version is actually the first version of the Centurion I can somewhat like.

Configs... depends. Lots of mechs have a specific role in which they excel. Unfortunably, there is no 'anti air' role that could be filled in most games, so chassis like the Jagermech or Rifleman are often forced into a sniper role. (Of course, this depends on variants.)

#19 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Sorry... I gotta call some of you out. :)

Anyone who says the "look" of a given Mech is irrelevant is either being disingenuous or is one of the rare few who are capable of separating superficiality from practical application.

Of coarse we are influenced by the look of a Mech! We use the same logic-tree we use when selecting a car: A.) Does it fulfill my basic requirements. B.) Is it stylish and do I look good driving it!

Sorry... I would not be caught dead driving an Ost* anything even if it garnered me full XP and tech-tree fulfillment when I turned on the hideous thing!

Edited by DaZur, 15 February 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#20 KaiserSoze

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationI have left where I was, and I am now where I won't be.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

The Viper Mech its the definition of CHEESE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users