Developer Q&A 4 - Role Warfare

121 replies to this topic

#21 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

I think your opinion is rather SLANTED today Garth.

#22 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Well once more I am perfectly happy with everything I've read.

#23 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

View PostGarth Erlam, on 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

I think GDC will help a lot. We're all looking forward to it :(

As are we sir. As are we. :D

#24 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Great stuff as usual guys :-)

#25 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

As expected........this is going to be alot fo fun......thankx....[s]

#26 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

I think GDC will help a lot. We're all looking forward to it :(

I guess Paul isn't the one making the speech and representing the game, right? :D

#27 Convaras Bloodskorn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTrondheim

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostDihm, on 15 February 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

I think your opinion is rather SLANTED today Garth.

And who says vikings aren't witty.

That being said, overall I was fairly happy with this. I share the sentiments of a few others above insomuch as I think I will have to experience it before I can sort out all of the miscellaneous questions floating around in my head.

#28 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 15 February 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

"Though I still unsatisfied with explanation of Commader Role and its (unbalanced, IMO) skill tree..."

THEORETICAL. EXAMPLES. >:|

Ok, ok, you should not take it so close, I still love MWO and will play it anyway, throwing money into it)) It was enough to say to wait for release and see it with my own eyes (ask Paul to teach you how to tease people, he is infinitely perfect at it :().

#29 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

Sounds a lot like the perk system in Battlefield 3. You can unlock a ton of stuff, but one have so many perks active at a time. Some guns restrict how many/ what types of perks can be installed.

#30 ScrewCityChris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 15 February 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

"Though I still unsatisfied with explanation of Commader Role and its (unbalanced, IMO) skill tree..."

THEORETICAL. EXAMPLES. >:|

We stated those were general guides. Those aren't locked in stone, final, what is going to happen for sure, the be all end all. Etc.

You guys really need to add a version of this emoticon to your list:

Posted Image

Every Wed. I get more an more exited about the game. I am really enjoying the amount of depth that appears to have been built into the game.

#31 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Excellent anwsers to some tough questions!

#32 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

.... *facepalm*...

I've seen numerous conversations about this particular item on the forums so I'm going to nip it in the bud...

Artillery/Airstrikes/Naval Bombardment (Whether it be from a boat or a drop ship) will be very limited in the number of times you will be able to use it in a match. We are not setting the game up to be a carpet bomb-apolooza! The three mentioned support strikes differ only in the pattern/focus of the incoming rounds. For example, in a city environment, you might want to use airstrikes instead of artillery because airstrikes land in a line instead of a circle on the ground.

Now to really hammer it home... THEY WILL ALL SHARE A COOLDOWN TIMER! :( Who woulda thought that?!?! A commander who takes all 3 into combat is going to basically waste 2 module slots.

Please give us the benefit of the doubt that we do know how to balance a game and that the key focus is 'Mech to 'Mech combat, not dropping bags of poo on each other... though that might actually be funny to put in...

Got it? Good.

Thunder out.

#33 Kale Cytair

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

@ Silentwolf:

The Devs stated in either an earlier Q&A or a Dev blog that there was going to be a MechLab.

@ Devs:

Thank you so much for your answers. I'm really getting a good feel for how this stuff is going to work, and I can't wait till beta and beyond to get into the nitty-gritty.

#34 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 15 February 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

No, he will be back at PGI, holding down the fort. It is said that nobody knows how to occupy space and provide nothing to a conversation like Paul can.

Oh hey! It's give Aegis a new status day today!

#35 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 15 February 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

not dropping bags of poo on each other... though that might actually be funny to put in...

They really have to be flaming. Plus it'd give a real reason to have flamers on your mech.

#36 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

"No, he will be back at PGI, holding down the fort. It is said that nobody knows how to occupy space and provide nothing to a conversation like Paul can. "

.... *facepalm*...

I've seen numerous conversations about this particular item on the forums so I'm going to nip it in the bud...

Artillery/Airstrikes/Naval Bombardment (Whether it be from a boat or a drop ship) will be very limited in the number of times you will be able to use it in a match. We are not setting the game up to be a carpet bomb-apolooza! The three mentioned support strikes differ only in the pattern/focus of the incoming rounds. For example, in a city environment, you might want to use airstrikes instead of artillery because airstrikes land in a line instead of a circle on the ground.

Now to really hammer it home... THEY WILL ALL SHARE A COOLDOWN TIMER! :) Who woulda thought that?!?! A commander who takes all 3 into combat is going to basically waste 2 module slots.

Please give us the benefit of the doubt that we do know how to balance a game and that the key focus is 'Mech to 'Mech combat, not dropping bags of poo on each other... though that might actually be funny to put in...

Got it? Good.

Thunder out.

The rare straight answer, thunder from on high.

Edit : Given Aegis' title change - shouldn't that have been a Newfie?

Edited by Nik Van Rhijn, 15 February 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#37 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

.... *facepalm*...

Now to really hammer it home... THEY WILL ALL SHARE A COOLDOWN TIMER! :) Who woulda thought that?!?! A commander who takes all 3 into combat is going to basically waste 2 module slots.

Got it? Good.

Thunder out.

Affirmative.

#38 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Paul.

#39 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Please give us the benefit of the doubt that we do know how to balance a game and that the key focus is 'Mech to 'Mech combat, not dropping bags of poo on each other...

Word.

#40 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostIxxxI, on 15 February 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Maybe you can consider starting second Q&A for Role Warfare?

Lord no.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users