BattleMech Technology; an education!

185 replies to this topic

#81 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Postcipher, on 28 June 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

So we magically move mech's arms and finer motor skills of the hands with the cockpit using one stick and a throttle control?

The mech does this stuff itself via the DI computer network; and I already posted the parts about the various ways that 'mech hands have been controllable by the mechwarrior. The sarna link you quoted does not explain the limiting factors on the neurohelmet interface so that people can understand the limits of the NH interface.

Most mecha sci-fi handles this...

I don't care how anything else handles it; the OP is a re-write and reconfiguration of the definitive source material of how 'mechs are built and behave and work in the battletech universe. The OP is not speculation, and I did consult with the person who is the writer for catalyst/fanpro/fasa that wrote the articles that are the basis for the OP.

It's meant to reflect the current state of the lore.

MechWarrior originally chose the latter.

That. Has. Been. Supersceded.

TechManual, pg 35, paragraph 2 said:

Though the gyro system can keep a BattleMech upright fairly well, left to itself, it can be fooled fairly easily. A ’Mech is particularly bad at determining when it should be off -balance, which can be surprisingly useful in combat. This is where the MechWarrior and his neurohelmet come in. In fact, this is the primary purpose of the neurohelmet: telling a BattleMech when it’s okay to be off-balance and to help the BattleMech regain its bearings.

TechManual, pg 40, Paragraph 2 said:

Controls Configurability aside, the controls for a machine as complicated as a BattleMech are actually surprisingly simple. And I’ll say it now: it’s not because the MechWarrior links directly with the BattleMech through the neurohelmet. Leave that notion to the cheap holovids. No, this simplicity is because the BattleMech itself does most of the work.

TechManual, pg 42, right column, paragraph 4 said:

ALIVE! IT’S ALIVE!
Ahem, excuse me. I always wanted to say that. I’m a Frankensteinfan—that’s a story that just gets better with age…

So, you’ve got all these separate components. The structure, actuators and myomers for mobility; the protective armor; the balancing gyroscope; the fusion engine; the commanding cockpit; and the managerial DI computer. If a neurohelmet isn’t a direct brain-machine link, what actually brings all those systems to life? After my last topic, you shouldn’t be surprised: it’s the DI computer.

TechManual pg 43, left column, paragraph 7 said:

The key to remember here is that current neurohelmets are not good enough to deliver real-time “mind reading” necessary for direct control of a BattleMech’s movements. Even the Clans and Star League didn’t manage to produce helmets that good.

TechManual pg 43 right column, paragraph 2 said:

On the other hand, getting information out is a passiveprocess with no risk of fried brains. But while delivering information into the MechWarrior depends on the ever-flexible human brain’s ability to interpret these foreign signals, neurohelmets have no such natural advantage for interpreting human thoughts. As a result, neurohelmets focus on a few specific centers of the brain with easily translated signals rather than trying to interpret the behavior of the entire motor cortex and frontal lobes.

The primary job of the neurohelmet is to help the 'mech balance itself under battlefield conditons and know when to throw itself off of balance. The other jobs that the neurohelmet interface handles are extremely limited by the nature of the neurohelmet interface.

Again, look for the link in the OP, it will take you directly to the original author of the original source material in techmanual; you can ask the man who's job it is to know this stuff and write it for catalyst.

Edited by Pht, 29 June 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#82 00seven

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Great wrap on the technical details, and not just weapons, thanks!

#83 Szember

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

This was a great read thank you for all this information!

#84 TwisTed94

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for posting this...good stuff!

BTW, Pht I recommend not responding to questions from people who OBVIOSLY did not read the data. :)

#85 T A R D I S

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Well... After reading this info, and looking at the photos attached...
:P Still no cup holders!!! :(

I mean, when I go into battle, I need to have to put my cold brew SOMEWHERE!!!!
<---I'm hiding now... :o
Great Info...

#86 rogerramjet

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationMissouri USA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:16 PM

I work for the railroad, alot of our locomotives have the blue chem. toliets on them pretty nasty when they roll over! The vacuum one would be better.

Good read,learned alot. thanks

#87 SteelyDan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 305 posts
  • LocationChicago Ill

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

I agree, with that guy, above Ramjet! :P

#88 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PostT A R D I S, on 11 July 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Well... After reading this info, and looking at the photos attached...
:( Still no cup holders!!! :ph34r:

I mean, when I go into battle, I need to have to put my cold brew SOMEWHERE!!!!
<---I'm hiding now... :ph34r:
Great Info...

Dude, you don't need a cup holder. Did you mention the part about the water cooler?

You could proably dump 5 gallons of ... whatever you like that won't dissolve the jug ... into it. :D

#89 JFlash49

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationKingston

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

whoooa....im taking 5...too much info...great post...but whoa..just whoa,,

#90 Gunhead_

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 16 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJumpship Dunkelzahn

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

Anyone mind if I drop off some technical drawings?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#91 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Where is that madcat cross section from? The second picture in your post between the vulture and the atlas?

#92 Marcus Cvellus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Great article man. It took some time to read, but it was worth in the end.
Nice material to find info on many things that were not so clear.

#93 Machalel

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Awesome post! :huh:

#94 Chiropteran

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

About to do a quick and complete refresh on my childhood, will post results if eyes begin to bleed.

View PostKallarn Banacek, on 17 July 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

Anyone mind if I drop off some technical drawings?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Also, these are beautiful

#95 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

I read it all in one sitting.

Hard sci-fi for the win!

#96 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Here's some more Technical Blueprints for the collection.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#97 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostPht, on 18 July 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Where is that madcat cross section from? The second picture in your post between the vulture and the atlas?

Deviant art, it was also posed on the B-tech forms, it's Fan art.

Interestingly I was looking up what kind of fuel mechs used in the old days (as some one i know said that early references used Tritium & Deuterium reactions)...

Well I could not find any reference to what kind of reactor b-tech used in ground vehicles back in the "early days" (i.e. 1986 to say 2000). But I did manage to find a number of references to Dropships and jumpship reactors and their fuels. In fact It seems that their was a lot more information on how a dropship & jumpship operated than how a battlemech worked (or even a B-tech tank for that matter...). The early ones date back to 1988ish (book called Dropship and jumpships).

Dropships have basically two engines a "cruising engine" and a "tactical engine" (basically one for long range operations and the other for combat), as well as a power core (where most of the electrical power), the power core is said not to require much in the way of fuel but can if need be refueled from the fuel tanks for the reaction mass, said reaction mass is described as Diatomic liquid hydrogen. All aerospace units are said to use smiler drive units (though jumpships do not have the cruising drives, warships due though).

It seems it was not until 2002 when the CBT companion was published that we got an in depth look at how a battlemech operated, much of this was later ported to Techmanual (same writer).

As for your argument with cipher he is not entirely incorrect though, the SLDF used a test of donning a basic neuralhelmet and seeing if you could move a "toy" mech, any movement resulted in you being accepted as a mechwarrior or an Aerospace pilot (or at lest got you into the training program). This is mentioned in the new SLDF manual (as well as the older one), While we do know hthat the main perpouse for the neuralhelmet is balance it dose provide experienced uses the abilty to perform limited movements with it, SLDF ones are likely a bit more capable than that...

One thing to note SLDF Infantry helmets provide this.
Detecting EM Transmitions and projecting a vector to where it came from
IR & Low light vision systems
Map displys that tie into squad and platoon level tactical dispotion (I belive many B-tech units and personel have GPS tags)
Built in Radios
And if your in a Royal unit a aming refrence on your "HUD" for your rifle...
Mechwarrior helmets provide similer capabilitys and vehicle ones are similer to them.

ASF helmets either provide helment HUDs or if Royal provide full up vertual reality.

#98 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostNebfer, on 08 September 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Deviant art, it was also posed on the B-tech forms, it's Fan art.

Interestingly I was looking up what kind of fuel mechs used in the old days (as some one i know said that early references used Tritium & Deuterium reactions)...

I belive either the TM or BT:Compaion 'mech technology write ups addressed this. You might check them.

It seems it was not until 2002 when the CBT companion was published that we got an in depth look at how a battlemech operated, much of this was later ported to Techmanual (same writer).

I'll second this. It was a long time in the coming!

As for your argument with cipher he is not entirely incorrect though, the SLDF used a test of donning a basic neuralhelmet and seeing if you could move a "toy" mech, any movement resulted in you being accepted as a mechwarrior or an Aerospace pilot (or at lest got you into the training program). This is mentioned in the new SLDF manual (as well as the older one), While we do know hthat the main perpouse for the neuralhelmet is balance it dose provide experienced uses the abilty to perform limited movements with it, SLDF ones are likely a bit more capable than that...

The real question is, do the rank and file neurohelments give this ability; and I don't see any reason to say that they do. I find the comment about the "toy mech" interesting; I wonder if it's a true down-scale 'mech, with a gyro and all other features that function exactly as it's larger analogue did?

#99 Nebfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

View PostPht, on 10 September 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

I belive either the TM or BT:Compaion 'mech technology write ups addressed this. You might check them.
I have both books... I have also talked to the guy who wrote them on the B-tech forms, on this. And both books mention ground based reactors use the same tech in their space craft, that being the Proton chain reaction (the same as the sun fusing hydrogen to helium) as such uses regular old protium. But I was looking up for any older references, you know pre-companion...

I'll second this. It was a long time in the coming!

So it would seem

The real question is, do the rank and file neurohelments give this ability; and I don't see any reason to say that they do. I find the comment about the "toy mech" interesting; I wonder if it's a true down-scale 'mech, with a gyro and all other features that function exactly as it's larger analogue did?

It was described as 1/72nd scale, so the model mech would be about 17cm tall (about 7 inches), but other than that their is no description out side if they managed to move it at all they passed.

FM SLDF

Those intending
to join the BattleMech or aerospace branches are further tested on
their aptitude to use a neurohelmet. This “skull-cap test” concludes
the initial selection tests; it requires the candidates to don a helmet
and attempt to move a 1/72 scale BattleMech. Any movement by the
’Mech qualifies the candidate for further training.

Star league Source book

Those who wished to become Mechwarriors and Aerospace pilots ended the day long examination with the dreaded "Skull cap" test. A candidate donned a neurohelmet and attempted to move a small model of a battlemech. Those who could where accepted. Those who could not, once they regained consciousness, were offered positions in different branches.

If theirs any more on this I am not aware of it at this time.

#100 Kommunisator

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Great read :)
Also, the old posters brought back a lot of memories. For those who don't know, there were 2 sets of Technical Blueprints, published by FASA. The first one from 1986 featured five inner sphere Mechs (unseen): Marauder, Wasp, Warhammer, Locus, Battlemaster. Apparently the Battlemaster blueprint was also available through different ways. The first edition of these came rolled in a tube, the second one folded.
The second set from 1991 (I think) were clan mechs: The Madcat, Loki, Thor, Vulture. These always came folded.
The size was about Din A1, they were huge and printed on heavy stock paper.
Nowadays, they go for ridiculous sums of money, makes me kinda sad because they were really hard to get here in Europe back then (not that expensive, just hard to come by because back then we had to import most of our stuff ourselves, not many shops carried BT items, and english language items even less so).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users