Which Fictional Universe Would you Live in?

86 replies to this topic

Poll: Which universe? (96 member(s) have cast votes)

Which fictional setting?

1. Star Trek (TNG-era) (11 votes [11.46%])

Percentage of vote: 11.46%

2. Star Wars (after movies) (13 votes [13.54%])

Percentage of vote: 13.54%

3. Halo (pre/post-Covenant) (2 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

4. EVE Online (most recent update) (1 votes [1.04%])

Percentage of vote: 1.04%

5. Stargate* (see thread) (1 votes [1.04%])

6. Mass Effect (pre-Reaping) (9 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

7. Firefly 'verse (post-Unification) (5 votes [5.21%])

Percentage of vote: 5.21%

8. Babylon 5 (pre/post-war) (4 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

9. Warhammer 40k (r u srs?!) (3 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

10. Battletech (pre-Jihad) (28 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

11. Battlestar (pre-Holocaust) (2 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

12. Macross (5 votes [5.21%])

Percentage of vote: 5.21%

13. Andromeda (before the Long Night) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. Farscape (1 votes [1.04%])

15. Other (please explain) (11 votes [11.46%])

What would you do?

1. Join the military (note, I doubt VERY highly you will be a starship captain) (42 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. Illegitimate space-man (pirating, black market and the like) (9 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

3. Legitimate space-man (trading, transport and the like) (14 votes [14.58%])

Percentage of vote: 14.58%

4. Scientist/engineer (technobabbler's wet dream) (11 votes [11.46%])

5. Farmer (assume hovering tractor) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Civilian (simple life, simple job) (10 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

7. Other (please state, don't be picky with above choices) (10 votes [10.42%])

Where would you live?

1. Earth/Terra/Human Homeworld (urban) (18 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. Earth/Terra/Human Homeworld (rural) (11 votes [11.46%])

3. Colonist (highly populated) (18 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

4. Colonist (low population) (13 votes [13.54%])

Percentage of vote: 13.54%

5. Space station (Citadel/Forerunner megastructures = colonies) (10 votes [10.42%])

6. Space ship (not as cool as it sounds, believe me) (26 votes [27.08%])

Percentage of vote: 27.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 ShoveI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

I picked the star trek universe, living on terra as a holodeck games/program tester!

#62 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

I doubt anyone on this forum would be a capsuleer on eve, they are incredibly rare individuals and a tiny percentage of the population. Only the very best people become capsuleers- not your average joe, not even your average fighter pilot or general is high skilled enough. Capsuleers are like the Da Vinci's and Steve Job's and Neil Armstrong types- genius/savant prodigy types, just to be eligible to become a capsuleer you have to be in the rarest tiniest percentage of the population that is smarter and faster and better than even the top performers.

#63 Leonardo Monteiro

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGalatea, Island of Skye

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

For "real"

Star Trek Universe:
Probably the most peaceful of them all, no real material issues
I'd be a farmer (hovering tractor assumed), which is something i'd live IRL

For "trully insane":
Fallout Universe:
Yes sir, i'd be a happy BoS trooper, with a happy trigger, too!
Target rich environment!

#64 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

I do have to ask... in star trek, if there is no money, and if holodecks are commonly available sources of entertainment where you can basically experience anything you could ever want.... why does anyone turn up at work?

#65 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostLongsword, on 27 February 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

I do have to ask... in star trek, if there is no money, and if holodecks are commonly available sources of entertainment where you can basically experience anything you could ever want.... why does anyone turn up at work?

Well there is money (Trek is inconsistent here, but it definitely exists), it's just that many goods/services are free. Are holodecks? Probably not 24/7 for each and every person.

Besides "work" has a slightly different meaning in the Federation. My grandad doing volunteer trail maintenance in CA, for instance, a recreational activity, would be closer to a job in the Federation than what you have today. Sure, I'd be spending time relaxing, a lot more than I do now, but even the free entertainment that wasn't scarce (holodeck time), I'd get pretty bored of that pretty fast. There's not exactly a whole lot of meaning or accomplishment to activities in a holodeck :D

#66 Jack Gammel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

View PostCatamount, on 27 February 2012 - 07:31 AM, said:

Well there is money (Trek is inconsistent here, but it definitely exists), it's just that many goods/services are free. Are holodecks? Probably not 24/7 for each and every person.

Besides "work" has a slightly different meaning in the Federation. My grandad doing volunteer trail maintenance in CA, for instance, a recreational activity, would be closer to a job in the Federation than what you have today. Sure, I'd be spending time relaxing, a lot more than I do now, but even the free entertainment that wasn't scarce (holodeck time), I'd get pretty bored of that pretty fast. There's not exactly a whole lot of meaning or accomplishment to activities in a holodeck :D

I would honestly get bored in Trek. Sure, if you're mathematically inclined you can join up with Starfleet, but for those individuals without strong math skills your whole existence is just wandering around doing stuff to try and keep yourself busy or just relaxing until you finally die. I imagine it would be like being retired for a century or more, except there wouldn't even be a lifetime of work for someone to relax from. After all, producing goods or offering services, even if they are superior, probably doesn't bring any significant material gain. It doesn't seem like there's any real motivation to produce anything. Maybe some people would have some inborn desire or love for something, but it is my experience that the vast majority of humans only have an inborn desire to sit on the beach and sip rum drinks.

Actually, it's my belief that holodiction is a secret plague within the Federation, and the full extent of this condition on the general populace is kept confidential by the government to avoid a general panic.

Edited by Jack Gammel, 27 February 2012 - 09:12 AM.

#67 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

I would like to live in the universe where I am an immortal handsome billionaire genius. Possibly Emperor of humanity as well but lets not go overboard.

EDIT: But not in a WH40K way, that would just be miserable.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 27 February 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#68 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostFiachdubh, on 27 February 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

I would like to live in the universe where I am an immortal handsome billionaire genius. Possibly Emperor of humanity as well but lets not go overboard.

EDIT: But not in a WH40K way, that would just be miserable.

So... the primary Marvel universe (Earth-616, IIRC) as Tony Stark?

#69 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

I wouldn't pick any of those, they can only result in horrible deaths in most cases.

I'd pick Futurama, death by snu snu seems like a good way to die. :)

#70 Kip Wilson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon USA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

So I picked Battletech. Always liked the universe because it seemed more real than most others and the handwavium science aspect is minor in comparison. That and no aliens. Never liked how aliens is most universes are always so homogenized.

Firefly is a close second however since space western is something that I can identify with on a personal level, (being a sci fi geek from Montana withthe name Steve Miller lol, some people do call me a space cowboy)

That being said id be a K1 droshuttle pilot, scouting the periphery for work and convincing jumpship captains to give me a free ride.

And the battletech universe (pre 4th succession war and post 2nd at least) was relatively low intensity warfare. Most of the planets in the IS never even seen combat unless they were border worlds. Even then military engagements consisted of dozens of units, which by todays war standards barely equates to a minor incident.

#71 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 27 February 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

I wouldn't pick any of those, they can only result in horrible deaths in most cases.

I'd pick Futurama, death by snu snu seems like a good way to die. :)

you
have
no
idea . . .

#72 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

I love Firefly, but man it would suck. Unless you are in the top 2% of course (which y'know, has a 2% chance of happening). The border worlds are undeveloped, without law, without protection, without true civilization. Pretty much everyone besides the Serenity crew is awful (seriously, everyone is a POS), and the Alliance has got to be the most broken governmental organization ever. Like those blue glove assassins they hire to do jobs? They can kill anyone, for no reason, like all those men in the science lab (what purpose did that serve?). So ya, I love Firefly, but I couldn't stand the people or the planets.

BTech wouldn't be that bad if you aren't Capellan, and living during peacetime. Not ideal of course, but few universes are. Mass Effect still gets my choice, even if being a human colonist means being enslaved/brutalized by Batarian slavers.

You people that are picking WH40k are fkin wacko...

Edited by Zakatak, 27 February 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#73 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 27 February 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

So... the primary Marvel universe (Earth-616, IIRC) as Tony Stark?

I had not thought of that specifically but wouldn't say no. I probably would of picked Marvel Universe if it had been an option and I could have a decent power.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 27 February 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#74 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

What would I do?

Jedi...what else. :)

Edited by Felix Dante, 27 February 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#75 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostStahlseele, on 27 February 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

you
have
no
idea . . .

I actually weighed my options, I only need to stay away from killbots, Santa and suicidebooths.

Just take the W40K universe, nearly everything wants to kill you there; demons, undead terminators, star eating gods, hordes of Orcs, etc.
You're not even safe in Star Trek with a doomsday weapon showing up every couple of weeks. And I'm not even going to mention the diseases, monsters of the week and enemy factions.

Yeah, Futurama is the way to go, just don't forget to turn your house into a fortress during X-mas.

#76 zeether

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Macross, because even if I wasn't a captain I'd at least be piloting a VF-1.

#77 Magnificent Bastard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

Firefly
(Mostly) Legitimate Space-man
Space Ship

I've always found the life of a spacefaring trader to be appealing. Most people find cargorunning in video games to be rather dull but I really enjoy it (especially if the game has space pirates for me to avoid). I say "Mostly Legitimate" because I would probably accept the occasional smuggling job if the money is right but I wouldn't be an outright pirate or thief. In D&D terms I'm sort of a chaotic neutral traveling merchant.

The EVE Universe and the Firefly Universe both have their problems... I'm not too keen on either one to be honest. Don't get me wrong; EVE is a great game and Firefly is a great show but knowing what I know of both neither seems like a good place to live if you can choose. In the end I decided pick the Firefly Universe simply because I don't particularly care for the hypergate system in EVE. Those gates are just too easy for lazy pirates to camp.

#78 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

Besides "work" has a slightly different meaning in the Federation. My grandad doing volunteer trail maintenance in CA, for instance, a recreational activity, would be closer to a job in the Federation than what you have today. Sure, I'd be spending time relaxing, a lot more than I do now, but even the free entertainment that wasn't scarce (holodeck time), I'd get pretty bored of that pretty fast. There's not exactly a whole lot of meaning or accomplishment to activities in a holodeck

Sure, people might turn up to work for starfleet or as an artist or a scientist.... but what about guys in waste management? retail? groceries? Why work if you dont rely on work to provide food and shelter and power to your household, if your job isnt an interesting one?

#79 Ferrox

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationClan Space

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

BT Universe for me!

Mech pilot training and maybe employed by some merc unit.

Where to live ? Just where duty calls!

#80 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

I love it, everyone in this thread is either a jedi, a ship captain or a mechwarrior, even though those are all the rarest types of individuals :)

I would choose the battletech universe, and if I was lucky I would be a mechwarrior or aerospace pilot. In the highly likely event that I would fall short of both of those, I would join the general military and end up as a tanker or an infantryman.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users