Old vets sound off

810 replies to this topic

#361 RiffWrath

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

AOL MPBT nearly cost me my marriage until gamestorm stepped up and saved me :rolleyes:

I've always been Davion ever since recruited by The Wild Bunch and my proudest moment in BT was when Col. Walker made me a cpl and I began to command lances. 3025 was a great upgrade, TWB became the 1SOG tasked with defending Anjin Muerto.

I love all things BT, even wizkids clickytech tabletop game and XBOX Steel Battalions.

It's great to see it all coming back.

#362 Relic1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

And there was me thinking I was one of the older guys on here.....

Been playing the TT since about '87, along with other tactical combat games like SFB, but quickly progressed onto Mechwarrior RPG, where your character stats transferred directly into the TT game, which was when we started using 2'x2' maps made from polystyrene (we could have had map sizes up to 8'x4' with the amount we had) complete with hills, trees & water features and using tape measures for LOS & distance...some pretty epic matches ensued because you didn't want your 'character' to die, or your mech destroyed (was a bit expensive :rolleyes: )

#363 Bad Electric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChantilly Va

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostRiffWrath, on 28 July 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

AOL MPBT nearly cost me my marriage until gamestorm stepped up and saved me :rolleyes:

I've always been Davion ever since recruited by The Wild Bunch and my proudest moment in BT was when Col. Walker made me a cpl and I began to command lances. 3025 was a great upgrade, TWB became the 1SOG tasked with defending Anjin Muerto.

I love all things BT, even wizkids clickytech tabletop game and XBOX Steel Battalions.

It's great to see it all coming back.

wow! TWB, now that brings back memories! are they in on this new version? be great to see them come back together.

~S~

Bad Electric

#364 MEGATRAV

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hey guys. Been playing Mechwarrior since the early 90's. Played all the console games, and most of the computer games. Never got into the tabletop games. Super stoked about MWO!!! Cant wait to get out there and serve up some hot lead!!!

#365 Bonebiter

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

39 - MW1 started this horrid addiction and now, well, here we are. The board games were fun to play as well - will likely pull out the table top to teach my son (9) the dynamics of movement before he enters this virtual realm.

#366 Charlic Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm only 16 which makes me feel young and wet eared. But, I can say this, I've been playing the good stuff since i can remember, being taught the old mechwarrior/commander games around the age of five. Course I wasn't any good till i was around seven.
I remember when I was like eight or something i got super excited about mechassault, only to be horribly disappointed in a traumatizing manner.

Edited by Peachy Davion, 31 July 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#367 swordsman

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hello, all. I've been playing Battletech in one form or another since about 1986, at the age of 12. I've taken long breaks, but have kept my hand in most aspects of it from time to time. I'm looking forward to riding into battle alongside some of the best and bravest MWO will have to offer, and it's a pleasure meeting you all.

#368 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hello All. I am 41...good to see I am really not that "old" here. Been playing since thd mid-80's..TT and yes, I remember Crescent Hawks Inception. Have played pretty much every MW PC game since. My 19YO son pointed this new iteration of MW out to me so I had to sign up...Will have to relearn a lot...but I look forward to it!

Should mention that this is my first MMORG. I played LAN parties and several online games a lot in the 90's and 00's...but became disolusioned with the way the online gaming community was going...hoping this will be different. Seeing a bunch of us old guys here gives me hope! :)

Edited by DeaconW, 31 July 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#369 Droggy

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Greetings All,

I played the old Crescent Hawks games...I also was a VERY avid player of the Multiplayer Battletech EGA on Genie back in the early 90's...and I hope and pray that is what this turns out to be....and updated version of that. Some of my best gaming memories EVER came from my time spent in that game.

If they can recapture that game here? The devs will have it made...People will go nuts.

Here's to us old-timers....40 yrs old here and ready for some NEW Inner Sphere wars! :)

Droggy

#370 Cynide

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCalloway VI, Duchy of Oriente

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'm 45...Cut my teeth on the board game in '84, played cresent hawks on my Amiga 500, then joined Kurita in Mechwarrior2 multiplayer, played all of Mechwarrior 3, Then Marik Guards for Mechwarrior 4. Never lost my love of Battletech, I have framed blueprints of Warhammer, Locust, and Battlemaster in my office ( these ROCK!, never get tired of looking at em!). i have been waiting for a contemporary incarnation of Mechwarrior to show up for a long time, so I'm really stoked about MWO, and will do what I can for this to succeed. I noticed quite a bunch of whiny children on this site, trying to spread misery, and I see alot of decent people displaying the maturity and passion and helpful nature this endeavor will need to survive... I'll count myself amongst the latter, thank you... Got no use for whiners, no sir, none at all...

Edited by Cynide, 31 July 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#371 Kilo33

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Ah... the hours and hours and weekends spent playing BT TT with paper cutouts and geomorphic maps. The frantic dash to get into level 1 water to cool the sinks while trying to core out the elusive 6 pts of back armor...

I was in hog heaven when Battletech came out for the C64... and I was positively drooling when the hightech 'Crescent Hawks Revenge' came out. I knew that we gamers had taken over the world when the Grey Death Legion strode across the bookshelves at the local Waldenbooks... my otherworlders card practically wore itself out buying the novels...

Then the world darkened - Karl Macek revealed himself to be ***** and everything prior to 3075 became verboten or out of fashion. All the young'uns flocked to the clans and fought over modular designs and inner-clan rivalries. Meanwhile, us old veteran innersphere mercs bid our time and watched, and waited...

The wait is over.

#372 Tussock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Wow... The crescent hawks inception and the crescent hawks revenge... in EGA!!! That's dredged up some old memories...

I'm 34 and played B-tech, city-tech & aerotech with paper and dice... Played pretty much all the pc based battletechs and mechwarriors except living legends... Big robots are awesome.

I never really got into the fiction though; most of it sorta seemed like pro-Davion propaganda... Not my cup of tea. I've always been a dirty merc'.

Edited by Tussock, 31 July 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#373 Eshaton

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hello everybody,

I'm 33, and made first contact with BT when "The Crescent Hawks Revenge" came out. After that I absorbed everything the BT-Universe had to offer, from novels to TT to RPG... Though I haven't been playing the TT for a while I did with some friends on a nearly weekly basis for years.
And right now I feel the urge to dust my miniatures, lay out some maps and resurect my old merc unit to start a new campaign.
I think I have to phone some friends after work...

#374 DemonHammer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

LOL - just turned 35 and feel young again after reading this forum. Glad to have something to show the wife that gamers may get old and die but the lifestyle never will :)

#375 viper117

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

33 this aug played mw to mw4 nice to see some gamers that are not 12 i will play games till the day i die

#376 Arkm

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTasmaina

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

Im 44 this year, and have been a player for many years.
I too started with the old d.o.s game The Crescent Hawks then all of the Mechwarrior series up to 4 + the merc n inner sphire exp. Iv also put in a few hundred hours of battletech miniture gaming. I was waiting for the mechwarrior 5 to come out but I was dissapointed when it got canned over copywrite ********.
I'll put my sim cockpit back togeather soon so I hope the stick n peddles work well, might even get the IR headset working too.
Im hoping this game will go far, and not to hard on your pocket.

#377 Orillious Tyr

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

I am neither old nor grizzled, seeing as I am only 17 years old. However I have been playing mechwarriors 3 and 4 since I was about 6. So I guess I could potentially be considered a "veteran" by some standards. My father on the other hand is quit the grizzled old war hero. He's 37 now and has been playing the games since around the time I was born. Speaking of the old man, does anyone out here remember "Krelin the mad"? He was a Soul Hunter if anyone recalls that clan existing.

#378 Orillious Tyr

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostPeachy Davion, on 31 July 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

I'm only 16 which makes me feel young and wet eared. But, I can say this, I've been playing the good stuff since i can remember, being taught the old mechwarrior/commander games around the age of five. Course I wasn't any good till i was around seven.
I remember when I was like eight or something i got super excited about mechassault, only to be horribly disappointed in a traumatizing manner.

I know that feel bro. I'm 17, started playing when i was 5 or 6...can't remember which. Although I didn't get good until I was about 12 hehe.

#379 White Fox

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOKC, OK

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostEnder97, on 26 February 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

only 33 but have bin playing since I was 8.

Similarly I'm 30, but have been playing since I was 8. Started playing the miniture game with some friends, and then played every video game related to the Battletech/Mechwarior universe! Also read most of the books, and I used to watch the cartoon in the 90s as well. Even had some of the "toys" which were horrible representations btw.

So looking forward to this game. Been missing it for a long time.

White Fox

#380 Harlock Fredrick

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationMissoula Montana

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Been a mechwarrior / battletech fan sence 1989 when my brothers friend got me away from doing harmful stuff and been a big fan sence then. More like a die hardfan

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users