Old vets sound off

810 replies to this topic

#341 Hybris

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationIn my Atlas flying on Jump Jets... coming for you.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

22 Years old but I have been playing MechCommander (and the Gold version) since 1997-98 along with MechCommander 2 then Mechwarrior 4: Vengence and Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries which really cemented my love of the series and gave me the idea of how a scifi mercenary really should act.

I would have said I have played Mechwarrior 3 but I could never get the game to go past completing the 1st mission it would just lock up and tell me to play the 1st mission repeatedly.

Edited by Hybris, 13 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#342 DutchDreadnaught

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 9 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

32, played everything from the mechwarrior series. But there's a pretty big gap from the last one to now... good to see so many have waited for this as well...

I hope you guys still know how to pilot a mech :D

#343 Viper GK

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Long time player, first time poster. Just another one of those GEnie guys. (I can't believe that system ever closed for as much money as I, and I'm sure many, many others spent playing that game.) I see a few names out there that I remember from those days.

On GEnie I was Maj Gen Viper *GK* (retired), and was Davion House XO while Vector was the House Leader. G stood for Gunslinger, a stable of Davion’s top 12 Solaris fighters, and of course K stood for Knight of Davion. I also ran the Ranking, Challenge and Tournament systems for Solaris on the GEnie BBS system for a long time.

I look forward to catching up with everyone and reminiscing about the good old pay-to-play days! From the sound of it I’ll be seeing everyone online in a few short weeks!

-Viper

#344 Grayer

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Just turned 38 and I first started playing Battletech back in the 80's when I was about 12. I've played many online games over the years, but will always look back fondly to the table-top ones (Battletech and Car Wars being two of my favorites). Battletech has such a long and rich history... I'm looking forward to playing with all of the other old-timers out there... reliving the glory days and creating new ones!

See you on the battlefield!

#345 Littlesoftwalker

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Old, Mechwarrior...
Father of 6 daughters.. Please know that battle wounds are deep..

Started playing this game in the 80s Was more like Mech Commander then in Mech .. but was still at the time the best..

#346 12Bravo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

• If half the guys from FS play MWO then the avg age will jump by 10 years :P

#347 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Closing in on 42.

#348 HuWanSum

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Well I'm 73 and have been playing since Mechwarrior 3 you do the math I'm to old to remember lol

#349 T91

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Looks like a bunch of old men on this thread. I played once or twice myself. Oh wait, mom is calling and she says it is time for bed...

#350 Blue Fox

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostThe East is Burning Red, on 19 June 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Wow, you guys are ancient!!

I'm not old (turning 12 in august, my mom's gonna get me a iphone 4s!) but I've watched every Gundam series so I think that makes me a vet.

looking forward to serving with all of you!

Posted Image

#351 DemonSpawn HHGD

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 32 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCleveland Tennessee

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

View Postt91, on 19 July 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

Looks like a bunch of old men on this thread. I played once or twice myself. Oh wait, mom is calling and she says it is time for bed...

now waht will make ya feel old is..... Now im a married man living on my own and am 31.. back when we played solaris i was a youngin ;)

#352 Bad Electric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChantilly Va

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

started online gaming on aol MPBT in 95 I think? can't remember...
moved to Gamestorm, joined <HH> (and never another unit) in the aftermath.
wore my <HH> tag throughout all versions of battlefield since BF2. just waiting for the day
we would get a chance to reunite on the field of battle in mechs.

51 and counting as of the moment...

Bad Electric <HHGD>

Edited by Bad Electric, 21 July 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#353 Grimmarc

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'm 50. I started playing Battletech around 1990 when I asked the guy behind the counter at Lone Star Comics what all those little metal "robot" figures were... I walked out of the store that day with a depleted wallet and an armload of books, boxes, and "little lead guys" as my wife calls them. The rest, as they say, is history.

#354 Bad Electric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChantilly Va

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

see you in game Grimmarc. looking forward to this version!

#355 Artimus

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

33 and have been playing since the very first MW. Loved that game and always been wanting the same ability to jump around the stars collecting C-Bills, but to play it with friends. Didn't know what an MMO was back then, but it feels like MWO can be THE game that I've always wanted.

#356 William1984

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNetherlands, Noord Brabant

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

28 here... well in 2 days anyway, played battletech games more then half my age... damn that sounds long :) Anyway started around... 10-12ish range I think, can't be to young to start learning how a mech works eh? ;)

Anyway if you old geezers get tired of running around the battlefield in your mech, just let me know, I'll do an extra lap for you ;)

#357 Hindle

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 8 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Ok, Just a sprightly 34 here, I've been playing since i was 8 or so and was pestering the older senior school kids to let me play. one of them lent me the TRO and I devoured it and was able to talk stats and units with them till one of them went "sh*t this kids knows what he's talking about" then i got rofl stomped on the battlefield :)

really looking forward to getting my teeth into this game ;)

also part of the BattleTech-Mercenaries and www.global-pbem.com scene.

#358 Bad Electric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChantilly Va

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

View PostArtimus, on 21 July 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

33 and have been playing since the very first MW. Loved that game and always been wanting the same ability to jump around the stars collecting C-Bills, but to play it with friends. Didn't know what an MMO was back then, but it feels like MWO can be THE game that I've always wanted.

Yeah Artimus, playing with old friends from the 90's battletech is going to be the best part of this version. I for one am looking forward to dropping into battle with <HH>. it seems allot of our core group is on board for this with more signing in regularly.

Look forward to dropping with you after launch!

~S~

Bad Electric <HHG>

#359 Breaker

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

31 years young it seems:-)

Played since the great days of the crescent hawk inception. Awesome game!

#360 The Spider Monkey

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 26 February 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

54 now, you whippersnapper. Started early 80's w/TT

I may not be as old as you, but for an old fart, I used to know you pretty well :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users