Steel and Snow OoC Thread

576 replies to this topic

#521 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

There's bits of that I like and bits of that I don't I'm afraid Shepherd. Little too 'big' of a character - how does a Davion war hero, friends with the First Prince, end up with a ragtag unit like the Terrors?
I also have a dislike of the Wolf's Dragoons. The Win button they received in the fluff and how a lot of folk seem to write them tends to bore me. If you want to keep the WD association that's cool but you're going to need to be at the top of your game when you write him.
At the end of the day, I want to like him but there's too much uber soldier and not enough depth. Beating a clan pilot to death after losing your mech? You're also a combat commander - are you expecting to come in and lead?
Have you read the rest of the RP? Try and work Cees down to a level where he fits with the unit. For example, Thom is a war hero, technically speaking. He's been everywhere and fought everything - usually more than once. So his character is fully capable of fighting the clans - and winning too if he's smart about it. But his character is balanced by the fact that his character is fundamentally a bum. Even when he's up on his luck, he's down on it. He finished the last RP, Windbourne Raven, a local hero. Freeloaded off them so much they kicked him off world with little more than his mech and the clothes on his back. So he still ends up the underdog and that makes him fun to read. Half the fun is...okay, a quarter of the fun is his winning, a quarter of the fun is his inevitably losing it all and the other half is trying to decipher that inhuman accent.
Basically what I need from you is a background that shows why Cees would end up with the Terrors and makes him life size. It is a well written bio, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

#522 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Dude... I'm laughing so hard right now I'm tearing up.

#523 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Why so?

#524 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Your fine description of my neigh knuckle-dragger of a character.

#525 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

At some point we need to have D and Jack have a public conversation **** drunk. Where neither of them can actually understand each other. And neither can anyone else. I think it'd be a lot of fun.

#526 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Well I was planning on D smuggling in some vodka and popping some pain meds he gets from the Dr's.... :wub:

And speaking of which, are you gonna be posting up that fight of yours soon?

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 17 March 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#527 The Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 215 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

Fair points all, thanks for the feedback. I knew I'd be pushing what I could get away with interlacing with planetary history like that :wub:

What I was going for with the character was a real clash of cultures between himself and Thom, being forced to work with him out of circumstance, rather than want. He'd be really stand-off-ish with the Terrors, perhaps less so towards Adrianna, but they’d be working towards the same goal. I believe I can do as you advise while keeping the bones of his personality, though perhaps by humbling his backstory more than a little bit.

As for command intentions, I thought that given the lack of team confidence in Juri as XO, Thom might want a viable third party option. Not angling for anything here, to be honest I’d be nervous writing a command character. I just thought you’d like the option on the table.

However, as a counterpoint, would you prefer a character that would mesh easily? I can understand if there’s already enough conflict in the group. I thought that coming from Coventry, and especially given the turbulent history of the planet, the character would have to be either tough as nails, or very young and naive as h3ll. Neither really fitting with the group all that well. Thought best to err on the side of caution and give him the experience he’d need to take on clanners.

Agree with you on the Dragoons. If you haven’t read the novella Hector by Jason Schmetzer, it’s a good little read. Dragoons effectively getting their a55es kicked by Lyrans. If it weren’t for the fact that they’re Lyran, I’d have almost cheered for them :blink:
Tied them in as it was a good excuse to give him a call sign and that given they were the spearhead in the re-taking of Coventry, it was hard to leave them out. I’ll cut his involvement with them though and work around it.

Finally, are you Ok with the Uziel and its loadout?

P.S: oh dear god... that accent :D it’s hilarious, but jesus.

#528 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

*Thom looked genuinely confused, then got annoyed as the realization that they were all talking about him dawned.*

Wat accent? Hey's you's all da guys wit da funny voices!"

Serious question though, What the h3ll does 'cheeky' mean?

#529 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Working as a potential XO works for me, be interesting to see how that could work between Thom/Juri/Cees.
For meshing with the unit, as long as you can talk to everyone at fight alongside them when push comes to shove then go for it! My main thing is more 'If he's personal friends with Victor and a Davion war hero, why doesn't he just join them? Why does he end up with a ragtag bunch of misfits like the Terrors?'
Because you're jumping into the RP just before we hit dirt, I'd prefer if you could integrate relatively swiftly. A prior association with Thom perhaps, something that would get you into the unit straight away with a minimum of fuss. Purely just because you're not going to have much time to do it. But again, it is up to yourself.
I'll need to see if I can find that novella - I'm a Steiner man myself :wub: Space Germany-Scotland? That's hilarious! You can do WD if you want, it's certainly not a sticking point for me, I simply wanted to point out that hints of their 'I Win' button will be punished :blink:
As you know, I have reserved the GM right to arbitrarily obliterate characters on a whim - I do tend and try to be nice to my players, but I don't mind forcing 'em back in line either :D
As for the Uziel, I'm perfectly happy with it. It's one of the ones I quite like myself, though I prefer Nomad's Bushwacker :D

Thom, you've really never heard the term 'cheeky?' For realsies? According to the internet it means: Impertinently bold; impudent and saucy. Basically, treading the humorous side of mischief. Just within the rules. Usually applied to kids, sometimes applied to flirty girls. My favourite use of it though is in Hellsing Abridged 3.
"You cheeky d*ckwaffle!"

Edited by RogueSpear, 17 March 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#530 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

I've heard of the term, but have never gotten a definition. It doesn't pop up in American English often if ever. I am in California after all, I hear just about as much Spanish as English.

#531 Spokes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

I think it comes from the phase, "tongue-in-cheek".

#532 The Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 215 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:42 AM

Edited my original Bio post with changes to save posting a wall of text again, keeping in mind your suggestions. Please let me know what you think and If you'd like me to change anything else.

Also, for the major post (if the character is ok), would you like me to correspond with Thom how he encounters Cees?

#533 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I like it. Approved!
All I need from you now is for you to sort out with one of the Terrors how you're going to be picked up. You'll need to save your entrance post until we manage to progress the RP to Coventry, which should hopefully happen this weekend.

#534 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostThe Shepherd, on 19 March 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

Edited my original Bio post with changes to save posting a wall of text again, keeping in mind your suggestions. Please let me know what you think and If you'd like me to change anything else.

Also, for the major post (if the character is ok), would you like me to correspond with Thom how he encounters Cees?

It's a pity I can't like the bio a second time...

@ Mr. Spear, we're to be (hopefully) reaching Coventry this weekend? Alright to post something in the mean time?

Edit: Now that I think about it, it could wait.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 19 March 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#535 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

RP thread, rise from your grave!

#536 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Sorry Thom, I meant to say post away. Right now I need a couple things to happen: First off, I need to finish off a post in the good Mr. Murphey's War Orphans and secondly I need to coord with Nomad for killing off Durgan's character. Unfortunately Nomad and I are quite busy at the moment, so if someone else wants to volunteer I am totally okay with that. My cousin gets married this weekend so I doubt I'll be doing much writing in the next two weeks.
I'm officially moving the restart date for Steel and Snow to June 1st, 2013. I will be doing my best to get posts in before then, I just cannot promise any kind of regularity before then. So that is the official restart. Come the 1st, we'll be back to attempting to enforce the 'Two posts a week' rule and get the show fully moving. In the meantime, I'll do what I can :)

#537 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Good. The Shepard and I have been kicking a convo back and forth for awhile now, (speaking of which I need to answer him) we've got a nice chunk of dialogue between the two of us, and it might take more than a couple of post for us to do everything we're wanting to do on Coventry. Just trying to give you a heads up.

#538 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

That sounds perfectly fine to me. I'll be trying to get the post up where we move the setting to Coventry, you can all do your thing, but June 1st I want us going to war.

#539 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 03 April 2013 - 05:57 AM, said:

That sounds perfectly fine to me. I'll be trying to get the post up where we move the setting to Coventry, you can all do your thing, but June 1st I want us going to war.

Will do! Hey anyone else want to share in some questionably illegal activities when we're on planet side?

#540 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Oooo, Ooooo, can Juri come too?! I am sure between drug abuse and slight of hand, there's got to be something useful she can do! lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users