New Original Mech Designs?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Malkenson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Plenty of topics about what Mechs people would like to see in game.

But what about some brand new, never seen before, original Mechs? Not just new art work for original stuff, but actual totally new designs

First, I have no idea if that could be done. There may be many reasons why it can not. But I think having some new Mech added to the lore of Mechwarrior would be a good thing. I also trust that the devs would design Mechs that would fit their vision of their game.

Thoughts?

#2 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

I'm opposed to anything not already in the canon. There's a lot there, and I'd much rather see them explore that than add a bunch of stuff that will need to get retconed in later.

#3 GDL Irishwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostHayden, on 28 February 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

I'm opposed to anything not already in the canon. There's a lot there, and I'd much rather see them explore that than add a bunch of stuff that will need to get retconed in later.

Agreed - there are already so many 'Mechs in canon that a lot of them are essentially just visual redesigns of each other. There's literally tons (very punny, eh? :D ) of material to work with, and there is no need to go adding new designs in.

#4 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostGDL Irishwarrior, on 28 February 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

View PostHayden, on 28 February 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Agreed - there are already so many 'Mechs in canon that a lot of them are essentially just visual redesigns of each other. There's literally tons (very punny, eh? :D ) of material to work with, and there is no need to go adding new designs in.

...Old farts are really adamant about their old stuff aren't they?

I'm personally alright with a couple original mechs showing up with the help of Smith & Tinker. But, that is AFTER a bunch of the already existing mechs are added.

#5 GDL Irishwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostMautty the Bobcat, on 28 February 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

I'm personally alright with a couple original mechs showing up with the help of Smith & Tinker. But, that is AFTER a bunch of the already existing mechs are added.

Old fart my arse - I'm only 18 lol

#6 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostMautty the Bobcat, on 28 February 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

Old man is old. Get off my lawn.

Eh, my beef is really just that I don't see a reason for it. They could just as easily use any number of existing designs and people who aren't versed in the wider universe out side of the MW computer games (i.e. the table top stuff, source books, novels) will essentially be getting "new" 'mechs.

ED: As opposed to adding in new designs, which means stepping away from the canon, or having to add them into the canon later.

Edited by Hayden, 28 February 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#7 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

If anything is already too many mech designs out there and not counting the variants (there is even an Awesome variant that thought it was a Mad Dog / Timber Wolf , 2 large lasers and twin LRM-15s), SL variants, SL royal variants and even Clan IIC variants. :D

And some mechs never saw the light of the day at all in fact. Devastators, Caesars, Thunderhawks, Pillagers, Blackjacks etc

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 28 February 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#8 Knt Maverick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Corporal
  • Corporal
  • 111 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 28 February 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

If anything is already too many mech designs out there and not counting the variants (there is even an Awesome variant that thought it was a Mad Dog / Timber Wolf , 2 large lasers and twin LRM-15s), SL variants, SL royal variants and even Clan IIC variants. :D

And some mechs never saw the light of the day at all in fact. Devastators, Caesars, Thunderhawks, Pillagers, Blackjacks etc

i resent that.... the blackjack was rather upity... it's only downside was that it was considered a baby version of the Jagermech. Either way, Both worked out as great snipers. Similar role as the Rifleman. Anti-Aircraft/Sniper/Balistic Fire Support.

#9 Psyco88

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

What are design limitations in size? Mech from the video seems huge if thats to scale with everything else in the game,,..topple thru buildings? in full detail?

Design is fun, thats the part I enjoyed the most out of the other mech games. Its like lego's =)
Can you make a mech assemply station where you can equip and unequip (and store) other parts so you can build your own custom mech? perhapse a dev kit for mech componients? If I design it do I get to put it in my arsenel? If provided the tools and direction im sure I could help.

#10 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostKnt.Maverick, on 28 February 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

i resent that.... the blackjack was rather upity... it's only downside was that it was considered a baby version of the Jagermech. Either way, Both worked out as great snipers. Similar role as the Rifleman. Anti-Aircraft/Sniper/Balistic Fire Support.

The BJ-3 used DHS, twin PPCs and 4 med lasers while the BJ-2 used twin ER Large Lasers and 4 Streak SRM-2s.

Not too bad imo for the plinking role.

#11 Psyco88

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

Getting the SDK

#12 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

View PostPsyco88, on 28 February 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

Getting the SDK

Why? If you don't happen to own your own models, only thing it is good for is to toy around in the forest level. :D

#13 Knt Maverick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Corporal
  • Corporal
  • 111 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 28 February 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

The BJ-3 used DHS, twin PPCs and 4 med lasers while the BJ-2 used twin ER Large Lasers and 4 Streak SRM-2s.

Not too bad imo for the plinking role.

personally.. i was think'n of the BJ-1 ... but yeah those also sound pretty sturdy too..:D.. --sadly, i can't remember which carries jump-jets for extra mobility, if any.

#14 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea... but don't feel comfortable with it either, at least as long as there are numerous designs out there already. And you could play many designs in MW2:Mercs... but never again after (e.g. the Rakshasa, an IS rebuild of the Timber Wolf, or the Grim Reaper), but I'm not up to date on the MekTek 'Mechpacks, though.
I'd like to see the devs implement the MW2:Mercs stock first (or an equal amount of designs fitting the timeline and scope of the game), before considering new designs that aren't canonical.

Edited by El Loco, 29 February 2012 - 12:14 AM.

#15 Maris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

There are literally hundreds of mechs in the era MWO will be set in. This is not counting variants, that will give you multiple times that. And then the Clans arrive...

So I don't see the point of making new mechs when there are so many that have not been seen in any mechwarrior games ever.

Stick to Battletech, this is what the game is all about. If they add new mechs, what's next? New weapons? New factions? What game are we playing again?

#16 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

ild rather have my hunchback II with its dual shoulder lbx 20's then new designs hehe, too bad its a variant that was not around yet in 3049, and then the IIc with an ac 20 on either shoulder, although that little ******* was too slow and didnt have any other weaponry so outside of a brawl range fight he got smoked bad.

#17 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:22 AM

This has already been discussed to death, much like almost everything else.

The consensus from that thread was that a majority of people prefer to just use canon mechs, since there are literally hundreds of options available and there is absolutely no reason to make new ones. The minority wants to have new mechs because of various reasons that range from 'TTers have an advantage because they know all the mechs' to 'Piranha is making the game they need to put a mech in to make their mark on battletech/mechwarrior.'

There ya go.

Might wanna search up the old thread, lotsa discussion in there, even had a poll attached.

#18 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

I am not opposed to it; I think MW:O represents an opportunity to grow the canon as much as the table top.

That said, there are so many sweet rides out there already at this point in the history, I can't see the point in allocating resources to inventing brand new stuff when it's there on a plate. And I would rather see as many of the classics as possible.

If it was to happen, maybe Solaris 7 will give them a chance to create, unusual, custom mechs, designed solely for the arena, with out disrupting the apparently untouchable lore too much.

#19 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

I did this topic last week LOL XD

#20 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

I don't get the feeling that's the direction Piranha is going to be taking the game. When you consider how many Battlemechs there are, there are not going to run out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users