• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 329 posts
  • LocationGBG, Sweden

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

I am, personally, only moderate warden.
And I will try it. That is a promise :)

No idea what I would do with it though.
I might let you, as my bondsman, polish it up and get it back to operational status (after I shot you out of it, it will be pretty banged up)
and then IF YOU ARE NICE, I might make you an abtaka, and let you pilot it.

Not likely, though.
You jags always had a hard time to adapt B)

#22 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

NEG, Colonel Tseng!
Well...I accept the challenge and i really hope your skills are as good as your words. :)

#23 Vincent Hall

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Some other clans had some but yes only the Jags use em for front line because they were EXPENSIVE and the jags were to feral to worry bout throwing all that money away (I suspect the cost in the wiki page is incorrect as it contradicts its own description).
"Bringing awesome firepower, those machines cannot be used effectively by commanders because they cannot afford to lose one."

#24 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

Well, I might just snag that piece of shiny hiney out of your collective, dirty paws IF you dare to cross the border in 3050. I know you can't resist a challenge anyway. Freebirth scum like me totally deserves a dedicated crew of trueborn 'Techs' seeing to the needs of their former steeds hehehe

Oh and fetch me a coffee if you can be bothered, once you are finished replacing the myomer bundles that you have ruined in your pathetic attempts to get away from me :)

/RP

#25 Fugu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Make it reeeeaally expensive and hard to get if you have to but impliment it!
Just being able to field that beauty would let everyone know that the pilot means business!

However, isn't it an unseen one? Wouldn't that make things more complicated?

#26 MarauderDeuce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Interestingly enough, according to the wiki the planet Tokasha - where the Stone Rhino is built - has the following ownership during the current period- Seems to me that Clan Ghost Bear would have access to the mech should they want it - course I could be wrong. <_<

That said, I believe the ground for a batchall has been laid down.

If GB_Krubarax would like to clarify exactly what Stone Rhino assets he wishes to claim then the Clan Smoke Jaguar may state their initial defending forces bid.

#27 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:54 AM

View PostMarauderDeuce, on 11 March 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

Interestingly enough, according to the wiki the planet Tokasha - where the Stone Rhino is built - has the following ownership during the current period- Seems to me that Clan Ghost Bear would have access to the mech should they want it - course I could be wrong. ;)

That said, I believe the ground for a batchall has been laid down.

If GB_Krubarax would like to clarify exactly what Stone Rhino assets he wishes to claim then the Clan Smoke Jaguar may state their initial defending forces bid.

Those Clans might hold the planet, but Clan Smoke Jaguar might hold the factory.

#28 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:02 AM

View PostStormwolf, on 12 March 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

Those Clans might hold the planet, but Clan Smoke Jaguar might hold the factory.

Can't be, Tokasha Mechworks Alpha was always in the possession of the Bears after they took it from the Horsemen during the golden century. The Jags were dead when the factory changed hands again..

#29 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 12 March 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

Can't be, Tokasha Mechworks Alpha was always in the possession of the Bears after they took it from the Horsemen during the golden century. The Jags were dead when the factory changed hands again..

I don't have access to my books right now, but I'll look into it later.

#30 MogCarns

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

People, you are forgetting...

ALL BATTLETECH SOURCEBOOKS ARE WRITTEN IN A POINT OF VIEW. Usually, it is Comstar, and frequently, the info is wrong, or skewed by the point of view of the writer.

In this case, Comstar only saw the Mech in CSJ. This is because CSJ brought in PGCs earlier than the other three Clans to help quell the unrest. CJF prefers faster, lighter designs on average, CGB has a superior second line, and totemetic, replacement, and CW did an excellent job of keeping Comstar distracted while appearing transparent.

The Mech's rarity is open for debate. The need for such a design in a second line force is debatable, and even if present, the design is hardly effective at population control. The Comstar acolyte may not have understand the distinction between the Frontline/PGC forces or Standard mech/OmniMech in the initial phases of the invasion. Many did not. Mech "rarity" is also extremely subjective. After all, the Atlas is rare, by some accounts. According to William Kieth, it would seem any Mech over 50 tons was "rare". In Battletech, it mostly seems that rare indicates that you can have one if you want it, but you are unlikely to see three of them in the same battle.

In any case, you would not expect to see one in any of the first four Clan's front line Clusters.

#31 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

After some fact checking I can tell you the following:

1. TRO 3055U states that the Smoke Jaguars were producing this mech, the factory where this happened was never mentioned in the original TRO3055.

2. The Stone Rhino 2 was confirmed to be produced at Tokasha MechWorks , TRO 3055U mentiones that the Goliath Scorpions obtained the plans for Stone Rhino after the destruction of their Clan.

So in short, we don't know where the original Stone Rhino was produced, but I'll bet that it wasn't at Tokasha.

#32 Maurice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEasthampton Ma.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

i think the inner sphere house units would like it to be later not sooner i vote sooner

#33 Zarkan

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Only if I can salvage one before the Innersphere gets done kicking the clans in the daddy bags! ;)

#34 KBone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationYOUR FACE!!!

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 04 March 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

Its also a second line clan mech. Second line mechs were mostly used for garrison duties, which why it wouldn't be seen until late into the invasion.Though I suspect that the stone rhino might have been used by some front line units. Still, its a rare mech. Im still not sure how MWO will handle canonically "rare" mechs in-game.

Correct, as a second line mech, it would not appear during the initial invasion of the Inner Sphere as it would only appear on a world that had been pacified and the front line troops moved offworld to be replaced by second line or solhama troops. In the description of the mech in the technical readout the design is very rare and even rarely used due to the sheer cost of operating or especially losing one in combet. I have palyed with the Stone Rhino configuration in several versions of the game, and while I will agree that it is an awsome looking mech, it;s performace is quite acking for a 100 ton assualt mech (the large pulse lasers will easily oveload the heat dissipation of the relatively few heat sink the mech is equipped with).

View PostThe_Birdeater, on 05 March 2012 - 07:03 AM, said:

The Stone Rhino was originally developed in the inner sphere and was named "Amaris Behemoth" but the project failed. The clans completed this failed IS-design. Canonically, only the Smoke Jaguars use this monster. Like other rare mechs, the Stone Rhino also should be exclusive to its faction.

Not entirely correct, it was know as "Amaris' Folly" as, according to the technical readout its "leg actuator actually shut sown during it's inital trials" the readout does not confirm that the project was successful during the time of the Campaign to retake Terra (conversely, it eludes that the projest was a failure and was scrapped), but it can be assumed that the designs were take by Gen Kenrensky during the Exodous and the design flaws were corrected by Clan technicians...

#35 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Is it just me or does that thing look a lot like a Marauder

#36 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Don't tell Harmony Gold.

#37 geck0 icaza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

so long as rare mechs aren't more effective than they can be earned as event prizes. This will encourage community participation as well as mark out individuals that earned them.

#38 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

As a MechWarrior fan, I'd love to see this monster on the battlefield. As a MechWarrior, I'd hate to see this monster on the battlefield. Since all our tidbits from ISN are Inner Sphere info, and the devs are being hush-hush about the Clanners, there's no telling what sort of things they have planned. I mean, all we got was concept art and ideas, then BOOM, teaser trailer, BOOM, gameplay trailer. I have a hunch there's already a few Clan designs at least partially ready, but since they've given themselves a year after launch to get them up and running, I doubt anything's solid yet. And since there's a solid dozen of very iconic (and more common) Clan 'Mech designs out there, I think the Stone Rhino will have to wait in the wings. I'm always going to be a Daishi/Dire Wolf fan first, but this is a neat machine.

#39 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostAlistair Steiner, on 15 March 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

As a MechWarrior fan, I'd love to see this monster on the battlefield. As a MechWarrior, I'd hate to see this monster on the battlefield.

My tip, get a fast light or medium and try to stay behind this mech, it is slow as hell so it shouldn't be all that hard.
You should concentrate on the rear LT and RT, those 14 points of armor won't last very long.

#40 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 15 March 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

My tip, get a fast light or medium and try to stay behind this mech, it is slow as hell so it shouldn't be all that hard.
You should concentrate on the rear LT and RT, those 14 points of armor won't last very long.

Do you honestly think that's a good idea when this monster packs jump jets and a pilot with two working brain cells?
Don't get me wrong, it may work, but if the pilot is awake and able it amounts to suicide.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users