Steel and Snow

104 replies to this topic

#21 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

Conference Room,
Rogue's Armoured Irregulars Recruitment Office,
Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 14:42 hours,

"The Green Hearts will be doing the majority of the hauling, depending on what remains will depend on whether or not you'll need to try and drag anything out. There will be...considerable collateral damage breaking in." Vantas cocked his head at Sukhanov. "I am still quite looking forward to watching you arrange that by the way." Looking back to Thom, he waved a hand dismissively. "Your Akuma is slow, but it shall be enough. Ideally, there really won't be anything left capable of fighting when you arrive, but it does not pay to be reckless. Still, you shouldn't need to hurry."

#22 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 22 September 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

Conference Room,
Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 14:42 hours,

"The Green Hearts will be doing the majority of the hauling, depending on what remains will depend on whether or not you'll need to try and drag anything out. There will be...considerable collateral damage breaking in." Vantas cocked his head at Sukhanov. "I am still quite looking forward to watching you arrange that by the way." Looking back to Thom, he waved a hand dismissively. "Your Akuma is slow, but it shall be enough. Ideally, there really won't be anything left capable of fighting when you arrive, but it does not pay to be reckless. Still, you shouldn't need to hurry."

Thom nodded. It was good enough for him, now he just had to remember the details for his band of cut-throats and hope that the Green Hearts would be willing to work alongside his Terrors.. He suddenly stood up and extended a hand to his longtime friend, Vantas.

"Well's buddy, it was agood seeing ya's again. See you's asoon, hopefully." With that he about faced and headed off to inform his corp about the deal, he hoped the Green Hearts would be willing to work along side his low-lives. With that he chuckled to himself.

Low-lives... I like that one.

-------------------------------------------------------
Conference Room,
Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 14:45 hours,

"Not so fast my friend!" Vantas hurriedly caught Thom's wrist as he was turning. "The Green Hearts will be here momentarily, if they are not here already. If you can spare just a few moments, I can introduce you both now. Or as soon as they arrive. They should be here - they're rarely ever late." He let go of Thom's arm and headed for the door himself.

"Uh... Okay's." Thom offered as he returned to his seat. It would be good to see one of the Green Hearts again. He sat there stewing on the thoughts of the infantry unit. Good guys all in all, even if they were nothing but a bunch of mud munching PBI's.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 15:13 Hours

It wasn't a long walk over to the Loft, infact it took longer to get out of the office building in which his interview took place. Jogging across the street, doing his best to avoid puddles, he brought himself up short outside the door of the Raven Loft to look up at the stormfilled sky and give it a withering glare as rain fell onto his face. Thom hated the rain, always had ever since Verfaren and the Windborn Raven.

Rain and Ravens... He turned about to look upon the bar that his warriors were eagerly awaiting his arrival, and skeward the sign scribbled down in Old English lettering upon an ancient looking slab of oak. A chill crept up his spine at the memories of that fateful day in the FRR where the Dalian Guard rose up to plunder everything they could lay their grubby hands upon and how he could have easily died a dozen times over. Thom was no believer in omens or phrophecy, but a small part of him was questioning that belief at that moment.

Too many coincidences....

With a shrug he dismissed those old dark memories and pushed his way into the bar that he would henchforth only refur to as 'The Loft.' Shaking his mohawk out when he got in, spraying water about in all directions. Thom then gratefully undid the Warlock Stable tie and undid the buttons of the dress-shirt which he whipped off revealing yes, more tattoos, as well as a black wifebeater with the word 'Thug' and the picture of a set of brass knuckles enblazed across the front of the under shirt.

With a sigh he tossed the two articles of clothing upon a hook on the inside of the door and made for the bar. Reaching the bar her rubbed at his neck where the dress shirt had 'chafed' at his skin.

Stupid monkey suit...

He hated playing dress up, it always made him feel like a wolf in sheeps clothing. But he quickly kicked that thought to the side as the bartender approached.

"Yeah's could I's a get a couple of pitchers of's dat black stuff an a shot of black label for da table over der?" He motioned to the corner table in the back with his head. He then fished into one of his pockets and tossed down a blackened card with the Warlock Stables logo emblazed across it. Smiling like he was the only one that caught onto a joke, he headed in the direction of the table.

"Okay's ladies, everyone bring's it in. We's got some talking to do."

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 23 September 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#23 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

Conference Room,
Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 14:45 hours,

"Not so fast my friend!" Vantas hurriedly caught Thom's wrist as he was turning. "The Green Hearts will be here momentarily, if they are not here already. If you can spare just a few moments, I can introduce you both now. Or as soon as they arrive. They should be here - they're rarely ever late." He let go of Thom's arm and headed for the door himself. I do hope they're here, Thom never was the most patient and Sukhanov will go spare if I break out the whiskey again...

#24 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

"Odd little fact for you Thom..."

Juri took a seat after Thom called them over, and in a somewhat bumbling of a manner managed to rest her cheek in her hand as she leaned on her elbow. "Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and doesn't mix well with particular substances, as they are also the same, and the effects can actually do some strange things to your liver, tolerance for alcohol, and could actually suppress the nervous system functions to the point of having your body shut down on you."

She proceeded to giggle to herself. "But it's one hell of a buzz." That soft, silly smile crossed her lips, as she sipped on what was almost a half-empty can of Zoom Lite. It had been a while since she had taken to the drink, and Juri was quickly remembering the reasons why. The last time resulted in her being pulled out in an ambulance. She made a half-hearted promise to herself not to let it get out of hand, as she looked around for the others to begin joining up.

"Kanpai!" Raising the can to Thom and bringing the cheap beer to her lips.

#25 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

Jon took a position in the corner over looking the table, the thought of ingesting the vile liquid almost made him sick to the stomach. Jon paid little attention as Juri ranted on about the alcohol that she was currently downing at a almost alarming rate at least to Jon standards.

Jon looked over at Thom “So do we have a job or not my coffers are getting a bit low.”

#26 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Conference Room,
Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City, Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 14:35 hours

“Thank you. Elevators on your left, sir. Seventh floor, it's the only room on the floor, you can't miss it.” The security guard offered as he handed Sanders his identification card back.

Nodding as he pocketed the small piece of plastic, Captain Martin Sanders stole a quick glance at his watch. Typical he thought, so very typical they were late again and the CO was nowhere to be seen.

“You know you really should dress up more often Captain, you make quite a dashing figure wearing your regimentals.” He heard from behind him and turned to see his commanding officer, Major Redmond, grinning mischievously in his general direction. “It's a shame the men aren't here to see this. They would be so proud to see that even "old man Sanders" can clean up nicely when he so chooses. Come to think of it, maybe it is high time we alter the company regulations a bit and bring some class to the unit as it were,” she continued playfully.

“Right...thank you Ma’am,” Sanders replied with a matching amount of sarcasm as he rolled his eyes. “What a wonderful coincidence it is that you were the one who suggested that I wear something “charming” for this joyous occasion. In fact I recall that when I attempted to argue that my combat uniform was more than enough for this little gathering, you altered your "recommendation" to a direct order... The Irregulars have already hired us, I hardly think they will revoke our contract if we don't show up in our Sunday best.”

“Now, now Sanders, let's not get testy. You know how it works, you dress nicely, speak some friendly words and then you can go back to your dreary combat fatigues. We can't have you leaving a bad impression on our employers is all. Understood?”

“Certainly, Major,” Sanders replied, “Business as usual.”

“Quite.” Redmond affirmed as she hit the button on the wall for the lift, before winking conspiratorially at Sanders. “Relax my friend, this meeting is strictly a formality, it should only take a moment.. It just so happens that we know Mr. Frankfurt quite intimately, Captain Morton even went so far to call him "a lovely fellow." Not that I understand why or when that spook decided to start making friends in such strange places. However, that is beside the point, we see that things are in order, then we give them the old nod and the wink. Make some small talk, say something nice about their Mechs(you know how they love that) and then we can get back to the work at hand."

Sanders felt less than convinced and interrupted Redmond before she could launch into an inevitable monologue, "Indulge me for a moment if you will Major...Why exactly do we need this Frankfurt and his Terrors? It is not as if Outreach isn't swarming with mercenaries looking for work and from what I hear they certainly aren't a first-rate company. Not meaning to offend, of course, but the Irregular's could easily hire a more reputable or experienced group."

"That's right, they aren't the Wolf Dragoons or the Gray Death Legion but don't underestimate Mr. Frankfurt and his merry band of miscreants. Despite his crude mannerisms and irregular career path he has a knack for attracting some quality pilots. You know who his father is Sanders, if he is even half the pilot that he was then we have nothing to fear. Besides Captain, so long as they create a big enough distraction it doesn't matter either way to us, if they survive then so much the better...if not then well, we all take risks in this line of work," She added cynically.

"Well, Ma'am I suppose we will find out soon enough. After you Major," Sanders offered as the pair of officers entered the elevator."

“However, let us discuss more pressing matters," Major Redmond began as the lift shuddered to life and slowly climbed upwards. "How are things proceeding with the third company?”

“Ready for operations, Ma'am,” Sanders answered without missing a beat. “Weapons, ammunition, equipment, vehicles and supplies; everything is accounted for and safely stored aboard Rorke's Drift. It's a bit of a tight fit but we've certainly had it worse.Passenger quarter's are well above military standard and we even have some extra room in the vehicle bay, we'll see if we can find something useful to bring along."

“Excellent, ahead of schedule even and the troops?”

“They are as ready as they ever will be, these last weeks of extra training were well worth it. Even the greenhorns are at an acceptable level of readiness." Martin stated proudly. “Of course, we are running through the usual routines. PT, target practice, combat scenarios and weapon maintenance. No use in getting sloppy this close to deployment."

“Funny that you should mention that," Redmond causally remarked. "As I was passing by the infirmary I had a most pleasant discussion with one of the local doctors concerning the fact that one of my men was being treated for a dislocated shoulder and a broken nose. Care to explain how that happened when we are still planet side?

“Ah! You mean Private Mir,” Captain Sanders said bursting into a wide grin. “I am afraid he committed a grave strategical error."

“Oh, I see and what exactly constitutes "a grave strategical error" when on Outreach?” Redmond asked.

"Apparently he felt it necessary to engage in a debate with Lieutenant Weber regarding the merits of training and maintaining a state of readiness so close to deployment. Of course Weber is a very convincing man as we all know...”

"Weber. Weber..." She muttered shaking her head slightly from side to side. “Naturally, Weber was involved...”

"He's a good man, Major. Crazy *******, will charge a Mech by himself if you tell him to. Strictly old school however, doesn't take kindly to insubordination and certainly doesn't shy away from a physical discussion" Sanders related with some humor.

“Yes, yes, I know Lieutenant Weber all too well,” she replied chuckling. “Do me a favor however, tell the good Lieutenant that I would be most appreciative if he stopped sending quite so many of the greenhorns to the hospital. It looks bad on paper and it doesn't exactly improve morale...even if they do seem to frequently earn it.”

“Will do, Ma'am."

Stepping out of the elevator the two Greenhearts' officers found themselves in a small but tastefully decorated waiting room. There were some seats but considering they were already late, Sanders expected they wouldn't be making themselves too comfortable.

"Greenhearts Company, Captain Vantas expects us I believe." The major announced to the plain looking secretary hiding behind an impressively large counter on one side of the room.

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 23 September 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#27 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

Conference Room,
Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February 3063, 14:45,

Vantas opened the door to reveal Major Redmond of the Green Hearts sitting and fidgeting with her service dress. "Victoria Major Redfield! A pleasure to see you again!" He cried as he strode out to meet her, eyes running over the rich green piping on her navy jacket and the green stripes of her trousers. Legs to die for.
She frowned and smiled coyly as she took his hand. "It is customary to simply use rank and surname, Captain Strider."
"Of course, but I did not initially actually see your subordinate," Replied Vantas smoothly, with no trace of shame whatsoever. "If I may be introduced?"
"Lieutenant Martin Sanders, commander of our third company." Vantas surveyed the new infantryman, noting the man's height, blonde hair, blue eyes and shaven face. His beard itched in sympathy. What a strange plight it is to inflict upon oneself, not to wear a beard. "This is Captain Vantas Strider, of the Rogue's Armoured Irregulars, commander of 'Angelus' Company."
Vantas grinned good humouredly at Sanders, "Ahhh, you hear that? She's finally warming up to me, she remembered my full rank this time. If only she would remember my new titles. Or perhaps she is being discreet. Who knows?" He lowered his voice to a whisper and leaned in conspiratorially, "She will know." He smiled up at her, and saw the twinkling eyes of amusement and the stern face of 'Behave', and chose to do so. Clearing his throat gently, he put a hand lightly upon her upper arm and gestured into the common room for her to enter. "Major Redmond, have you met Mr. Frankfurt of Thom's Terrors and Captain Sukhanov of the Myrmidon?"

#28 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

Conference Room,
Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February 3063, 14:45

Thom was bored. Never known for being patient, Thom drummed his fingers along the desk top while humming a tune he couldn't place while he waited for the Green heart rep(s) to show up. He stopped humming to look up as Vantas headed for the door and noticed that he was being blessed with a rather annoyed look from the Irregular spacer, Captain Sukhanov. Continuing to drum his fingers, Thom looked him squarely in the eye and smirked.

View PostRogueSpear, on 25 September 2012 - 05:55 AM, said:

Conference Room,
Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February 3063, 14:45,

Vantas opened the door to reveal Major Redmond of the Green Hearts sitting and fidgeting with her service dress. "Victoria Major Redfield! A pleasure to see you again!" He cried as he strode out to meet her, eyes running over the rich green piping on her navy jacket and the green stripes of her trousers. Legs to die for.
She frowned and smiled coyly as she took his hand. "It is customary to simply use rank and surname, Captain Strider."
"Of course, but I did not initially actually see your subordinate," Replied Vantas smoothly, with no trace of shame whatsoever. "If I may be introduced?"
"Lieutenant Martin Sanders, commander of our third company." Vantas surveyed the new infantryman, noting the man's height, blonde hair, blue eyes and shaven face. His beard itched in sympathy. What a strange plight it is to inflict upon oneself, not to wear a beard. "This is Captain Vantas Strider, of the Rogue's Armoured Irregulars, commander of 'Angelus' Company."
Vantas grinned good humouredly at Sanders, "Ahhh, you hear that? She's finally warming up to me, she remembered my full rank this time. If only she would remember my new titles. Or perhaps she is being discreet. Who knows?" He lowered his voice to a whisper and leaned in conspiratorially, "She will know." He smiled up at her, and saw the twinkling eyes of amusement and the stern face of 'Behave', and chose to do so. Clearing his throat gently, he put a hand lightly upon her upper arm and gestured into the common room for her to enter. "Major Redmond, have you met Mr. Frankfurt of Thom's Terrors and Captain Sukhanov of the Myrmidon?"

Thom stood and smoothed down the front of his dress shirt again. He hated the damned thing, but it was the nicest shirt he owned. One had to dress for success during interviews on Outreach. And as he turned around he had to admit that the two immacuately dressed infantrymen standing in the doorway to the confrence room blew whatever impression that Thom was hoping to make right out of the water.

Damn, those outfits must have set them back a couple bucks...

"You's know's, to dis day whenever I'sa hear da name Mr. Frankfurt, I'sa look around for my's pop." Thom took a few steps forward and extended his hand in a greeting.

"Please, call's me's Thom." Thom eyeballed the Major. She looked familar, but he couldn't place her face.

"Have we's amet before? You's a-go to NAIS?" Thom's brow crinkled up in honest confusion.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 27 September 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#29 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

An amused look passed over the Major's face as she shook Thom's hand. "No, perhaps you are confusing me with someone else, Thom? I've never attended the NAIS or any other military academy for that matter. I've been in the infantry since I was eighteen so I didn't really have much time for a proper education."

"Everything I know I've learned from the army or in the field, the school of hard knocks as it were. I wouldn't have it any other way however. Or what do you say Captain?" She added looking in the direction of Sanders.

"What you need to know to survive in combat they don't teach you in any school, Ma'am," Sanders offered shrugging his shoulders. "Besides, I was never the studious sort and I doubt I would have been very welcome at the Nagelring. Of course, that doesn't mean that one doesn't find a couple of well educated infantryman, but it seems we tend to attract the more practical type of candidates,"

"Not that it is of any great importance, an educated man dies just as easily as a fool." he concluded chuckling slightly to himself. Following suit, Sanders offered his hand to Thom, "Fear not Mr...Frank...I mean Thom, we certainly don't hold a grudge against our more educated colleagues."

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 29 September 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#30 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostVodkavaiator, on 29 September 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

An amused look passed over the Major's face as she shook Thom's hand. "No, perhaps you are confusing me with someone else, Thom? I've never attended the NAIS or any other military academy for that matter. I've been in the infantry since I was eighteen so I didn't really have much time for a proper education."

"Everything I know I've learned from the army or in the field, the school of hard knocks as it were. I wouldn't have it any other way however. Or what do you say Captain?" She added looking in the direction of Sanders.

"What you need to know to survive in combat they don't teach you in any school, Ma'am," Sanders offered shrugging his shoulders. "Besides, I was never the studious sort and I doubt I would have been very welcome at the Nagelring. Of course, that doesn't mean that one doesn't find a couple of well educated infantryman, but it seems we tend to attract the more practical type of candidates,"

"Not that it is of any great importance, an educated man dies just as easily as a fool." he concluded chuckling slightly to himself. Following suit, Sanders offered his hand to Thom, "Fear not Mr...Frank...I mean Thom, we certainly don't hold a grudge against our more educated colleagues."

Thom shrugged at the major's statment about not ever being on New Avalon. Maybe she just reminded him of someone else.

Too much booze and stims...

Thom pumped Sanders' hand firmly.

Good grip, callused and rough... a working man's hand.

"Hey's no worries. You's adon't sees me wearing any spurs do you's?" He held his right leg up so all could inspect his mirrior shined combat boot. "I's a flunky. As is Ace Darwin, Phelan Kell-Wolf-Ward-Whatever's hes agoing by now a days... an who's know how many others. And I's agree, no degree is gonna stop da bullet wit your's name written on it. But's it's someting dat da big name units an all da house units want."

He pauses while putting his foot down then smoothing down his tie.

"I's athink dat we all agree dat a rough an tumble soldier with no education is a's more prized possession dan a well educated, wet behind da ears over indulged brat from's a wealthy family... Now we's gonna exchange titles an pleasantries an philophacies on wat da idea solider is or wat?"

#31 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

“Oh, Thom, things were going so well...I was hoping that we could get to know one another. I mean after all, you can't expect us to trust someone we don't know. “ Redmond said with a playful tone of voice as she winked in the direction of the Capellan mechwarrior.

Then the eyes of the major lit up as she spotted the Holovision monitor still showing the information about Thom and his terrors. “However, I suppose if you are already tiring of our company then we should get down to business. I hope you don't mind if I take a look Vantas.” She added as she deftly spun the monitor around before the other officer had time to object.

“Komodo, Catapulot, Wraith, Stalker, Centurion, Vulcan and an Akuma. Hmm. Well, you will not exactly be winning any races with those mechs, but at least we won't be lacking in firepower." The Major neutraliy stated as she turned towards her subordinate, "Sanders any thoughts? You and your company will be the ones operating with the "Terrors" after all."

Sanders walked around the table until he stood next to the Major and then quickly scrolled through the technical details, particularly in regards to armament of Thom's Terrors. He let out a brief whistle before looking up at Thom with a grin, “Oh, I think we will manage Ma'am. Assuming of course these pilots can aim, they should be able to bring some fear of God into any potential problems. Besides it wouldn't do well if the mechs could outrun our poor infantry now would it? First in, last out, I believe the saying about the infantry went in the 21st Century.”

"Lovely, then let us have a look at what sort of pilots Mr. Frankfurt has managed to acquire," Redmond continued positively beaming at the opportunity to grill Thom further.

“Yu, Henderson, Auburn, Kutsuu, Delfino...and Azman. Disgraced former soldiers, test pilots and of course cut-throat mercenaries. You certainly picked an interesting group of pilots.” The major said smiling slightly. “Sanders, you recognize a certain name here?"

"I can't say that I do Major, but I like it. They look to be an unorthodox bunch, exactly the sort of Mechwarriors I prefer to work with." Sanders replied, nodding approvingly in Thom's direction. "Speaking for Third Company, I can say that we are happy with this group of mercenaries. I very much doubt we shall be finding anyone more suitable within the given time-fame. Furthermore, it has been some time since I saw an Akuma and a Stalker in action." He finally mused grinning slightly as he recalled the Major's advice, "say something nice about their Mechs."

"Wonderful!" Redmond purred before turning to Vantas and adopting a much more formal manner, "Captain Strider, the Greenhearts Company hereby accept Thom's Terrors as an integral element in the successful completion of this contract."

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 30 September 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#32 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Conference Room,

Mercenary Hall,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February 3063, 14:47

View PostVodkavaiator, on 30 September 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

“Oh, Thom, things were going so well...I was hoping that we could get to know one another. I mean after all, you can't expect us to trust someone we don't know. “ Redmond said with a playful tone of voice as she winked in the direction of the Capellan mechwarrior.

Then the eyes of the major lit up as she spotted the Holovision monitor still showing the information about Thom and his terrors. “However, I suppose if you are already tiring of our company then we should get down to business. I hope you don't mind if I take a look Vantas.” She added as she deftly spun the monitor around before the other officer had time to object.

“Komodo, Catapulot, Wraith, Stalker, Centurion, Vulcan and an Akuma. Hmm. Well, you will not exactly be winning any races with those mechs, but at least we won't be lacking in firepower." The Major neutraliy stated as she turned towards her subordinate, "Sanders any thoughts? You and your company will be the ones operating with the "Terrors" after all."

Sanders walked around the table until he stood next to the Major and then quickly scrolled through the technical details, particularly in regards to armament of Thom's Terrors. He let out a brief whistle before looking up at Thom with a grin, “Oh, I think we will manage Ma'am. Assuming of course these pilots can aim, they should be able to bring some fear of God into any potential problems. Besides it wouldn't do well if the mechs could outrun our poor infantry now would it? First in, last out, I believe the saying about the infantry went in the 21st Century.”

"Lovely, then let us have a look at what sort of pilots Mr. Frankfurt has managed to acquire," Redmond continued positively beaming at the opportunity to grill Thom further.

“Yu, Henderson, Auburn, Kutsuu, Delfino...and Azman. Disgraced former soldiers, test pilots and of course cut-throat mercenaries. You certainly picked an interesting group of pilots.” The major said smiling slightly. “Sanders, you recognize a certain name here?"

"I can't say that I do Major, but I like it. They look to be an unorthodox bunch, exactly the sort of Mechwarriors I prefer to work with." Sanders replied, nodding approvingly in Thom's direction. "Speaking for Third Company, I can say that we are happy with this group of mercenaries. I very much doubt we shall be finding anyone more suitable within the given time-fame. Furthermore, it has been some time since I saw an Akuma and a Stalker in action." He finally mused grinning slightly as he recalled the Major's advice, "say something nice about their Mechs."

"Wonderful!" Redmond purred before turning to Vantas and adopting a much more formal manner, "Captain Strider, the Greenhearts Company hereby accept Thom's Terrors as an integral element in the successful completion of this contract."

Thom nodded as the two Green Heart officers shot back pleasentries, he had a distinct feeling that their replies to one another and praises for him were already planned.

"...Furthermore, it has been some time since I saw an Akuma and a Stalker in action."

Odd statement considering how new of a design the Akuma was, just five years.

"Yeah's I's a know, we's not gonna be breaking any land-speed records.. well dat TR1 maybe, but da rest of us...it ain't happening. But if you's need us to hold some spit o' land we's can's do it."

Disgraced former soldiers, test pilots and of course cut-throat mercenaries. And I'd have it no other way...

"Fantasic! I's a look forward to working wit'cha Green Hearts." He started shaking everyone hands, well except the Spacer. "Now's if you's a excuse me's I's have my ahhh..." He suddenly got a look of concentration upon his face. "Ah dat's it, 'Disgraced former soldiers, test pilots and of course cut-throat mercenaries,' or's my's bunch of merry misfits informed dat we's got a job. See you's around."

Thom then hurried out of there. He had work to do, and not much time to do it.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 30 September 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#33 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

[[Repost yes, but I'm trying to fix the hole in the space time continualim (however you spell it)]]

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,

Outreach,

It wasn't a long walk over to the Loft, infact it took longer to get out of the office building in which his interview took place. Jogging across the street, doing his best to avoid puddles, he brought himself up short outside the door of the Raven Loft to look up at the stormfilled sky and give it a withering glare as rain fell onto his face. Thom hated the rain, always had ever since Verfaren and the Windborn Raven.

Rain and Ravens... He turned about to look upon the bar that his warriors were eagerly awaiting his arrival, and skeward the sign scribbled down in Old English lettering upon an ancient looking slab of oak. A chill crept up his spine at the memories of that fateful day in the FRR where the Dalian Guard rose up to plunder everything they could lay their grubby hands upon and how he could have easily died a dozen times over. Thom was no believer in omens or phrophecy, but a small part of him was questioning that belief at that moment.

Too many coincidences....

With a shrug he dismissed those old dark memories and pushed his way into the bar that he would henchforth only refur to as 'The Loft.' Shaking his mohawk out when he got in, spraying water about in all directions. Thom then gratefully undid the Warlock Stable tie and undid the buttons of the dress-shirt which he whipped off revealing yes, more tattoos, as well as a black wifebeater with the word 'Thug' and the picture of a set of brass knuckles enblazed across the front of the under shirt.

With a sigh he tossed the two articles of clothing upon a hook on the inside of the door and made for the bar. Reaching the bar her rubbed at his neck where the dress shirt had 'chafed' at his skin.

Stupid monkey suit...

He hated playing dress up, it always made him feel like a wolf in sheeps clothing. But he quickly kicked that thought to the side as the bartender approached.

"Yeah's could I's a get a couple of pitchers of's dat black stuff an a shot of black label for da table over der?" He motioned to the corner table in the back with his head. He then fished into one of his pockets and tossed down a blackened card with the Warlock Stables logo emblazed across it. Smiling like he was the only one that caught onto a joke, he headed in the direction of the table.

"Okay's ladies, everyone bring's it in. We's got some talking to do."

View PostMacabreDerek, on 23 September 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

"Odd little fact for you Thom..."

Juri took a seat after Thom called them over, and in a somewhat bumbling of a manner managed to rest her cheek in her hand as she leaned on her elbow. "Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, and doesn't mix well with particular substances, as they are also the same, and the effects can actually do some strange things to your liver, tolerance for alcohol, and could actually suppress the nervous system functions to the point of having your body shut down on you."

She proceeded to giggle to herself. "But it's one hell of a buzz." That soft, silly smile crossed her lips, as she sipped on what was almost a half-empty can of Zoom Lite. It had been a while since she had taken to the drink, and Juri was quickly remembering the reasons why. The last time resulted in her being pulled out in an ambulance. She made a half-hearted promise to herself not to let it get out of hand, as she looked around for the others to begin joining up.

"Kanpai!" Raising the can to Thom and bringing the cheap beer to her lips.

"You's atalkin about dat time I's passed out in the Davion Peace Park as a cadet?"

He chuckled to himself remembering the small foggy memories he had of that night where he and his 'girl' were poppin anti-anxiety pills (or so she told him) and washed them down with long pulls from a bottle of a black tar rum. The last thing he remembered was her shirt coming off as they fooled around at the base of the Silver Eagle Memorial.

View PostDurgan Carlyle, on 23 September 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

Jon took a position in the corner over looking the table, the thought of ingesting the vile liquid almost made him sick to the stomach. Jon paid little attention as Juri ranted on about the alcohol that she was currently downing at a almost alarming rate at least to Jon standards.

Jon looked over at Thom “So do we have a job or not my coffers are getting a bit low.”

Thom nodded answer to Jon's question, but held up a finger to forestall him till the rest of the mercenaries gathered at the table.

"Let's await for da others, den I'lls fill ya in on da details." Thom added before breaking out in an ear to eat smile as the barwench brought up two frothy pitchers of Timburki Dark and his shot of Glenngary Black Label.

"Tank's" Thom offered to the waitress before whistling a long schrill whistle to the distracted mechs. "Bring's it in. Der's beer!"

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 01 October 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#34 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

The cordiality and freshly mint camaraderie was genuine and sincere. That Azman had no doubt. But between the smiles, and the jokes and the shared war stories, everyone’s eyes were shifting, making evaluations, judgments, gauging one another. These were not newly posted out recruits from the academy. Each bore their scars and wounds from the field and understood that when the day comes, when hellfire rains on all of them, each must depend their lives on the person sitting next to them. A sobering thought between the drinks. They were a crew now. Thom’s Terrors.

A strong crew.

Again Azman shifted his eyes. To the lithe Adrianna Delfino. A striking beauty by any measure. Her words, articulate, her dress immaculate, cool, professional, an accomplished woman in a man’s world. It is no accident that her image inspired the local clan resistance at Sevren. ‘Dove’ they call her. A symbol of hope.

Azman shifted his eyes. To the bubbly Alexi Auburn. As intoxicating as the drinks she holds. Exuberating a spirit larger then her body can contain, more note-worthy considering the roads she travelled. Alexi’s records in the Galahad Stables of Solaris VII speak of her skills in a battlemech. But it is the pilot that was worth remarking. Azman had drifted to many worlds and would be hard-pressed to find another soul like Alexi’s. An Angel.

Azman shifted his eyes to the quiet strength of Jon Lee Yu. Born and raised in the lands of the Dragon. Forged to the way of the warrior and imbued with the steely code of honour and courage. His actions in Damian may have earned Jon a discharged from the DCMS by weaker superior officers but dishonourable his actions were not. ‘Shadow’ now they call him and shadow rests in Jon Lee Yu’s eyes. Shadow and vengeance.

Azman shifted his eyes to the stocky and heavily tanned Garland Alan Henderson-McCoy Jr, also know as Gant, also known as El Huevo. El Huevo’s first breath in life was in the mercenary unit Comacho’s Caballeros. El Huevo’s life since has been to the song of the mercenary. Hard as stone and as reliable as endo steel, El Huevo has proven his mettle on countless worlds. An example to the calibre of men from the Free Worlds League. Grim determination shines in Garland Alan Henderson-McCoy Jr, Gant, El Huevo’s eyes, mirroring Jon Lee Yu’s. A shared purpose in a dark path.

Azman shifted his eyes to the last to arrive, Juri Kutsuu. It is no stretch of the imagination that Juri could be beautiful, on par with Adrianna and Alexi. But her face seemed waned, her eyes shadowed, a grimace, quickly suppressed, would pass her lips. A hidden pain? Juri seems to be a woman who exists in two places at the same time. One half of her exists in her present surroundings, the other half to another place where she is alone. The woman’s battle records will vouch for her, but like that slight-of-hand to her drink, Azman barely caught, there is more to the woman from the Draconis Combine than meets the eye. She is lovely. Azman thought. …Because she kisses Death…

Thom’s Terrors. A strong crew.

…And what does that make you?...

My callsign is Reptile. …A name deserved?...

..“You will kill the people you love. You will betray those who trust you. Because that is what we are.”

..“Yes Sempai.”

Azman looked to his empty cup.

A man can change, can’t he?

The empty cup held no answers.

Azman’s reverie was broken when Thom Frankfurt, leader of Thom’s Terrors entered the bar.

Azman with everyone cheered and raised their cups when Thom joined them, all eager to know if they had work or remained jobless.

Azman shifted his eyes. Thom Frankfurt. Thom Frankfurt. What can he say about Thom Frankfurt…

A memory drifted in…of another bar… of another group of mechwarriors… a long time ago…

They were there in the Windborne Raven – a newly graduated officer of the FRR KungsArme, a high born liaison officer from the Lyran Commonwealth, a lone wolf from Wolf’s Dragoons, a decorated captain of the 1st Robinson Rangers, a veteran merc from the Skjaldborg, a survivor from the Vulkaneers, and Thom. Here, the target was located… The plan was simple…

…One day that man may remember you from the Sack of Rundvik…

Well…that will be an interesting day…

Azman ordered a refill, showing the least interest on the outcome to negotiations with the Rogue’s Armoured Irregulars.

Edited by Nor Azman, 01 October 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#35 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

"Tank's" Thom offered to the waitress before whistling a long schrill whistle to the distracted mechs. "Bring's it in. Der's beer!"

Alexi grabbed one of the bar stools and brought it over to the table to sit behind Azman. Slightly elevated and sitting with one leg tucked beneath her. "Ewwww Ahhhhh OOWwww Beeer" She smiled sweetly and bounced her head back and forth from side to side.

A memory drifted in…of another bar… of another group of mechwarriors… a long time ago...

Alexi looked and noticed Azman drifting off, his gaze hollow and morose, (There he goes again, feeling sorry for himself and lost in some stupid past) She watched him for another few seconds and decided she's had enough. With a quick "Thwack" she kicked him with the toe of her stilettos just hard enough to leave a sting in the back of his neck. "Get your arse back here boy, you owe me a drink!.!." She said matter-of-factly with a slight mischievousness grin.

Azman ordered a refill, showing the least interest on the outcome to negotiations with the Rogue’s Armoured Irregulars.

Alexi looked only slightly the bit happier, then locked eyes with him. "I don't know where you keep trying to run off to in your mind, babe, but you are here now. This is your life. not the past. not what you've done or didn't do. So get you head in the game and play before the clock runs out and the buzzer sounds signaling the end of a wonderful game and a wonderful life, id-iot shish." She walked off then [leaving Azman to wonder if she talking to him or herself] and headed to the bar, palming Thom's card as she walked by. Walking back over to the door she grabs up Thom's coat and slides the card into his pocket as she approaches and sets beside him innocently. "Boss man" she said with a pout, "I trust you to lead us in all the right directions and whatever you decide is right by me. That said can I borrow your jacket for a bit? Pretty please with sugar and bubblegum on top? I need to to run out and find some silk for Mei Chan here [she held up the little Geisha, its head bobbling wildly excited] before the stores close. Pretty please..."

Edited by Oni Storm, 01 October 2012 - 02:43 AM.

#36 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

The Raven’s Loft
Harlech City
Outreach
15:OO

The, admittedly small, lunch crowd had begun to file out of the bar in ones and twos. Leaving only a handful of souls aside from the unit members of the recently christened “Thom’s Terrors”. They were an eclectic bunch to say the least. Gant had largely ignored the other Terrors, nursing his beer and waiting for the barkeep to refill his tequila. The man behind the bar had impeccable timing, refilling the shot glass as Thom Frankfurt stepped out of the rain and into The Raven’s Loft.

"Bring's it in. Der's beer!"

As far as cattle calls went, it was rather effective. The gathered men and women of Thom’s Terrors made their way towards the table their new commander had commandeered for the meeting. The collection of oddballs, exiles, and lone wolves each made their way towards the table at their own speed. In a more formal unit the lack of urgency would have been a cause of concern, but it seemed like Thom Frankfurt was taking the lack of coherency in stride. El Huevo killed off his tequila and slapped a handful of C-Bills on the bar before swaggering his way to the table like a true cowboy.

Juri and Jon were already present. Juri sipping on an alcoholic beverage while Jon, in classic Drac fashion, was busy turning his nose at the thought of indulging in the barbaric pastime of “having fun”. Despite their bond of friendship, Gant would readily admit that his comrade had a stick up his rear the size of the Komodo he so skillfully piloted. Claiming the seat to the left of Jon Lee, El Huevo poured himself a drink from the dark pitchers of Timburki Dark.

“Gracias, Captain.” He took a long drink of the beverage, “What’s the word?” Before he could be given an answer, the pink haired Alexi parked herself in the seat closest to Thom and asked for the military equivalent of a Hall Pass, just so she could buy an outfit for a stupid doll. Gant had to bite his tongue to keep from saying anything. The Terror’s still didn’t have an official unit listing; it’d be bad for business for him to chew out his possible future lance commander in front of the rest of the company.

#37 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 15:14 Hours

Juri was doing all she could to keep her nausea under some kind of control. She definitely felt Azman's gaze. If she could blush she would, but the reaction might warrent some violent reaction to the one drink she had been cradling this afternoon.

Moving closer to Azman, the expression in his aloofness was one she saw in the mirror every day. It was the kind of hurt that most try to 'man up' through and end up causing more harm to themselves. It was a liability she wasn't willing to take, and more so the horror of being locked alone with yourself. Her escape was through the drugs she imbined every few minutes to keep herself from screaming and keeling over, but for this man she could not figure out his escape... Perhaps it was in combat, perhaps it was in the hopes of release in a blaze of glory... or worse, there might not be one.

Speaking in a soft voice to him, she kept a faint smile, one that let her relax more so than was to bait him to do the same. "You're cute."

Wondering how much the abrupt forwardness of her comment was going to leave him in a state, the smile grew on her face. The drunkeness was taking it's toll to be sure, but Juri tried to focus on the contract that Thom and signed them up for. She made it a point to look at the questionable elements of the group. It wasn't that she did not trust him to do his job, otherwise he would not be here. It was more the issues that arrised when each participate played themselves to be a lone wolf, when it's the group dynamic that will let them really shine.

"Seen that look in your eye a thousand times. Never sure what to tell myself or the other person. Sometimes, it's better to just let the awkwardness come out and get it out of the way. I tell myself alot of things lately."

She pulled out a deck of cards from her side pocket. He shuffling was sloppy, it was clear her hands were struggling not to cramp in trying to do the simple hand movements to make a rainbow shuffle.

Throwing the top five cards face up showing an Five of Clubs, Queen or Hearts, 3 of Spades, Jack of Diamonds, and Ace of Spades. Putting the deck aside, she picked up the Queen of Hearts and Ace of Spades, turning them face down and put them into the center of the deck and pushed it to the side.

"It's and odd thing. We tell ourselves things. We convinced ourselves of a lot of things. We're killers, sometimes we convince ourselves it's justified, sometimes we convince ourselves we're good people. Sometimes we convince ourselves that we are the worst because we have no redeeming quality. Sometimes we'll even convince ourselves some of the worst and the best things..."

Taking up the the three remaining cards, she turned them face down one by one, her fingers sliding over it as though to caress a lover. She placed one over the other until it was a three card pile and picked it up, gave it a quick dice cut, and laid down the face-down cards side by side.

"But I think it's more important to remember what we want to be. I think I would rather be a good friend, a person who is there for people, than just a gun for hire... And I think what's worse is when you are accepting to what you tell yourself to be rather than challenge it, defining who you are. Me, I'm the person who stacks the deck for people, trying to give them a chance."

Turning the center card over, it reveiled to be the Queen of Hearts. She took the queen and placed it face down ontop of the deck that was set aside.

Taking up the two remaining cards, she tossed one over the other in an easy to follow motion and placed the pile down. Juri's index finger pressed on the top of the two cards and pushes the top aside to the right, then did the same to the second card to push it to the left, and underneath was a third card.

"And if you trust me to do my job..."

She turned one card after another over until all three were revealed to be an Ace of Spades.

"... You'll always come up Aces." Smiling softly, she slid the center Ace to Azman.

#38 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 15:14 Hours

Azman rubbed the back of his head as his eyes narrowed dangerously at Alexi Auburn walking away.

"I don't know where you keep trying to run off to in your mind, babe, but you are here now. This is your life. not the past. not what you've done or didn't do. So get you head in the game and play before the clock runs out and the buzzer sounds signaling the end of a wonderful game and a wonderful life, id-iot shish."

The old CCAF paranoia kicked in and Azman wondered if the pink-haired woman could read his mind… if so… There are threats everywhere…Everyone can be an enemy…There are enemies everywhere…Everywhere…

Azman pushed the old CCAF conditioning away. Honestly, have you ever met a woman who doesn’t read minds?

Azman was about to launch an inner monologue on the complexity of women when Juri Katsuu slid beside him. Azman blinked. The woman from the Draconis Combine could be so silent at times.

"You're cute."

Azman was caught off-guard. Women.

"Seen that look in your eye a thousand times. Never sure what to tell myself or the other person. Sometimes, it's better to just let the awkwardness come out and get it out of the way. I tell myself alot of things lately."

Juri Katsuu produced a deck of cards and began shuffling.

"It's and odd thing. We tell ourselves things. We convinced ourselves of a lot of things. We're killers, sometimes we convince ourselves it's justified, sometimes we convince ourselves we're good people. Sometimes we convince ourselves that we are the worst because we have no redeeming quality. Sometimes we'll even convince ourselves some of the worst and the best things..."

Azman knew the trick is to keep your eyes at the woman’s hands, as Juri showed five cards and began her illusion. Keep your eyes at the woman’s hands… but it was hard to have your eyes elsewhere when a woman looks you in the eye. Or was it Juri’s voice, soft as silk and captivating?

"But I think it's more important to remember what we want to be. I think I would rather be a good friend, a person who is there for people, than just a gun for hire... And I think what's worse is when you are accepting to what you tell yourself to be rather than challenge it, defining who you are. Me, I'm the person who stacks the deck for people, trying to give them a chance."

Juri produced the Queen of Hearts.

"And if you trust me to do my job... You'll always come up Aces.”

Juri produced the Ace of Spades.

Azman clicked his teeth. He missed the trick. Azman picked up the ace card and looked at it for a moment as if it held some answers, locking Juri's words inside him.

“I will keep this Katsuu-san. As a memory.”

With that Azman put the ace card which Juri produced with her magic into the many pockets of his browncoat. Another item to the bric-and-brac and odd ends he carried with him, memories of people and places.

“Hajimemashite.” Azman bowed his head then held Juri in his eyes for a moment before turning his attention to everyone else at the table.

----------------------------------

(Sidenote – I think ‘Hajimemashite’ is the Japanese phrase you use when you first meet someone. But Juri and Azman already met, recently, prior with Thom’s Terrors forming up for a possible job. I think character azman uses this phrase here because he feels this is the first honest exchange from Juri)

Edited by Nor Azman, 03 October 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#39 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostOni Storm, on 01 October 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

Alexi grabbed one of the bar stools and brought it over to the table to sit behind Azman. Slightly elevated and sitting with one leg tucked beneath her. "Ewwww Ahhhhh OOWwww Beeer" She smiled sweetly and bounced her head back and forth from side to side.

A memory drifted in…of another bar… of another group of mechwarriors… a long time ago...

Alexi looked and noticed Azman drifting off, his gaze hollow and morose, (There he goes again, feeling sorry for himself and lost in some stupid past) She watched him for another few seconds and decided she's had enough. With a quick "Thwack" she kicked him with the toe of her stilettos just hard enough to leave a sting in the back of his neck. "Get your arse back here boy, you owe me a drink!.!." She said matter-of-factly with a slight mischievousness grin.

Alexi looked only slightly the bit happier, then locked eyes with him. "I don't know where you keep trying to run off to in your mind, babe, but you are here now. This is your life. not the past. not what you've done or didn't do. So get you head in the game and play before the clock runs out and the buzzer sounds signaling the end of a wonderful game and a wonderful life, id-iot shish." She walked off then [leaving Azman to wonder if she talking to him or herself] and headed to the bar, palming Thom's card as she walked by. Walking back over to the door she grabs up Thom's coat and slides the card into his pocket as she approaches and sets beside him innocently. "Boss man" she said with a pout, "I trust you to lead us in all the right directions and whatever you decide is right by me. That said can I borrow your jacket for a bit? Pretty please with sugar and bubblegum on top? I need to to run out and find some silk for Mei Chan here [she held up the little Geisha, its head bobbling wildly excited] before the stores close. Pretty please..."

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

Thom smacked his lips in between sips of the Timburki Dark. Alexi's question caused him to arch an eyebrow as he considered her question. The young mechwarrior reminded Thom a lot of himself and that worried him. He could see rifts opening up in the small merc group from him being easy on the carefree girl, but there was no reason for them all to be there when there was much work and recruiting to do. But still order had to be enforced, and he could swear that the anarchy tattoo on his left calf started to itch..

She gave him a hopeful grin and he felt his resolve breaking in.

"Yeah's go ahead if you's atrust me's like dat... But if you's afind any techs, medtechs, or mechjocks out der, be's asure to send dem my way. Dat agoes for da lot of ya when you's a leave heres.."

With a smile and a bounce in her step young Alexi whirled about and skipped out the door, her geisha doll in tow.

Geisha doll... Memories flooded back to him...

[Que flashback!]
..."My's garage has room's for all our mech's. I dunno about's repairs, but we's can atleast add my 45 tons to our cause. Wait, what's dat sound...?"

Thom's dialoge was cut off my the high pitched scream of an incoming missle bombardment. [ha-ha]] The warheads seem to drop out of nowhere, detonating in random locations. Blossoming in red orange explosions the missles reduced the already damaged buildings to rubble.

"S**T, THIS WAY!!"

Thom exclaimed as he floored it. The hovercraft shot off into the direction of the garage passing through raining brick and flying debris. He didn't look back to see if the others were following. He ducked causing the craft to swerve when a brick crashed against the windshield. Sticking his head back up he corrected his course putting the vehicle in the center of the road and held his breath as demolished buildings and debris piles flew by.

The drumming of the missle detonations trailed off leaving an errie silence which was cut off by the roar of an autocannon and a corner store caving in on itself as he zoomed by. Approaching the next intersection he slammed on the brake and turned sharp to the right, the craft sideslipped and fishtailed into a parked sedan with a bone jarring crash.

He shook his head to clear it and stomped on the accelerator. With a keening protest, the craft zipped off on a cusion of dust. Thom tapped on the brakes and took the first left he found into an alleyway. He heard a whoosh as several missiles flew by blasting apart the front of some automotive supply store.

Something big and nasty on my butt... just a little further.

Through the alleyways Thom raced, dodging dumpsters and leaving behind a swirling cloud of refuse and old newspapers. He took a left at the next main drag. This area looked familiar, buildings he had grown used to walking or stumbling by on his way to or from bar hoppings. He sped on down the deserted street, the building he so desperately sought lay ahead at the top of a three way junction. With men huddled outside the doors, trying to force their way in?

Try to steal MY mech!

Thom lay on the horn and floored it, the men turned. He wasn't sure if it was the sight of the Dalian hovercraft riding them down or the thought that he was coming to their aid, but they didn't even attempt to dodge..

The last thing Thom remembered before ramming through the garage's double doors was the sound of tortured metal, slightly muffled by the sound of human bodies being pulverized. [End flashback]

Shatter!!

"Funk!"
The sound of a glass shattering upon the bar floor, quickly followed by the bartender's shout snapped Thom out of his reprieve. The sack of the Windborn Raven and Verfaren was long past. Yet Thom found often found himself wandering amongst the smoldering ruins of that city.

Thom then looked at the remaining warriors some cradling their pints, and one with a tall frosty glass of Mudder's Milk. As he looked over the group he sized everyone of them up, they were a tough motley lot, lone wolves that seemed drawn together by the prospect of cash, adventure, or glory. Kind of like the random people, like himself, that gave the Dalian Guard a bloody nose and blackened eye.

(I'm sorry but Mr Derek and Mr Azman's personal views on the other characters were awesome. No need for me to try and add to their epicness.)

"Okay's now if's I's agot everyones attention..." He trailed off laughing on the inside as some of the mercs leaned in with anticipation wanting to hear the news. "We's got a job." He said finally before breaking out in a huge smile. "We's agonna be's aworking wit da Green Hearts. If you's a don't know, dey's a decent bunch of mud munchers... Der's not much dat the Irregular guy was awilling to say, but I's a know it's a smash and grab. We's ahold da ground while da PBI's load up cargo haulers." He paused to let them try to decipher his speech before continuing on.

"I's a don't know's where we's a going, or who we's a gonna be fighting... But's we's acatching a ride on one of dem warships. Da pay is good too, wit full salvage rights. Dat's about all I's agot for right now. Any's questions?" The Warlockian asked before uttering the word 'Dismissed.'

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 03 October 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#40 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

The Raven Loft,
Harlech City,
Outreach,

"Yeah's go ahead if you's atrust me's like dat... But if you's afind any techs, medtechs, or mechjocks out der, be's asure to send dem my way. Dat agoes for da lot of ya when you's a leave heres.."

With a smile and a bounce in her step young Alexi whirled about and skipped out the door, her geisha doll in tow.

Harlech City streets
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 15:13 - 18:56 Hours

Alexi spent the next few hours bouncing from shop to shop. She had that kid in a candy store type of feeling and father Thom had put her on cloud nine with his permission. So much so, she even made sure to use her own money on her outing. She knew better than to go to the expensive and over priced fabric stores and instead decided to check out the small side street shops that carried imported antiquities iteams from places inside the Draconis Combine and Capellan space. She found a couple of kimonos that caught her fancy, long too, down to the just above the ankle. She knew that she could cut a bunch off and hem them into something more cute and skirt like. That way she a Mei Chan could have matching outfits. In one store in particular she found a beautiful pattern of a crane in flight, having been scared away by a tiger in swiping roaring pose. The pattern itself had to be a knock off though, for they had four of them, and each with a different background color of silk. The workmanship and embroidery where quite amazing though, and appeared to be hand stitched, they had a black, a red, a pink, and a emerald green, and try as she might she couldn't resist.

She kept wondering to herself if she hadn't possibly gone a little overboard back there buying them all but after the girl offered them as a bundle for three hundred c-bills the fate of the transaction was sealed. Besides she "just knew" that other two girls of the Terror's would "LOVE" their new gifts and if she was really lucky maybe she could find a forth amidst the street and they could have their own all girl lance. :D She beamed at that thought and it feed her devotion even more to follow up on paw-paw Thom's request, besides it gave her a good excuse to look at a few more stores. :lol:

She wondered too and fro making sure to visit both army surplus stores and the gear-head locations. She even hit up some of the hover bike stores and repair shops, looking for both techs and leathers, both of which she seemed to attract a little too easily. With each she offered them a number and address, having picked up a burn phone especially for the occasion for paw-paw Thom, knowing that it was quite harder to track and easily dumpable should one simply want to "get away from it all" the old ancient Terran song came into mind and she continued to sway to the music in her head as she headed further into the darker side of little Draconis.

As she meet more "potential" employees, she continued with her modus operandi and either wrote them a note on a random piece of paper or even their arm if none was available. For those techs of special note [ones she felt were actually worthy and credible like the ones from her days back in development] she'd put a smiley face down on their paper and write herself a side note. The ones that were "really cute" she'd kiss the paper leaving a lipstick stamp, those she didn't really care if they were boys or girls, but she did make sure they had at least a basic understanding of what they were talking about [green techs, Med-techs and 'Mech-jocks. Oh my] and claimed to know how to do. The medtechs were her toughest job though as she had little experience with them, except for when they patched her up on Solaris, and their apparel was "Sooooo Yuck" that all she could think of was poking her head into various walk-in clinics as she passed by and left them a number for "anyone of medical training or profession looking for side work".

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:17 Hours

It was approaching "Oh-dark thirty" as she made her way to the final store. A huge emporium of all things Asian, right on the boarder of the reflected Draconis and Capellan sectors. The store itself was huge and one could almost get lost for days if they stopped to talk or look at every little shop and stall. It was an Asian cacophony and much like the farmers markets of home that she used to visit with her mom in her youth. She headed into the heart of the place looking for a store known to deal in some of the latest and largest caches of surplus coming in from the Draconis area, and rumored to have a supposed Grand Dragon on display. She figured that had to be as good a place as any to find maybe both another tech or two and perhaps a few decent pilots. That and a man back at the first thrift store told her that they sometimes carried Draconian arms and 'Mech suits. She had just made her way into the line for the "viewing" of this Draconian monster when she noticed the three men that seemed to be eyeballing her suspiciously and with a hint of ill deeds on their minds. They got into the line themselves some fifteen people back and it was enough to give alarm to "poor little Lexi", who had just realized she was out here "all alone". Reaching into her pocket she quickly flipped open her phone and began texting like a wild teenager.

the message was quick and simple: "Please come to the Asian Emporium between Drac and Liao sector. Men following me. Look for the Grand Dragon" and went out to all the regular Terrors. [side note I figure walking it would take about an hour or so to reach there from the bar, but that's up to our kind GM, "please don't rape and or kill me." to quote Dogma] :)

Edited by Oni Storm, 09 October 2012 - 02:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users