#61 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Asian Quarter,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:30 Hours

While she was still processing this, Juri slumped to the ground, her eyes unfocused, her breath ragged.

Alexi's eyes widened brightly as her hero and saviors fell to the to the ground beside one another, and she broke from cover to join them. It wasn't until she had half swing hug tackled Juri that she realized what had happened.

“Alexi! Call for paramedics!” Adrianna called out as she started checking Juri’s airways.

"Oh crap! Right!" Alexi hurriedly hit the emergency one button on her PA, connecting instantly to the nearest 911 hot spot, in this case a impish and small Asian voice answered speaking first in Mandarin "Huh?" Alexi said as the operator then switching over to a bad new to English accent "ninie won won emergency Ah prease state the nature of your call." Alexi would have laughed at the woman's butchery normally but completely missed it as she focused on the seriousness of the situation. "Yes we need an Ambulance to Emporium by the Grand Dragon 'Mech exhibit. Multiple injuries, one head trauma, another girl had been poisoned I think and my friend is going into so type of convulsions and possible alcohol poisoning." the woman on the other end seemed a bit slow in her proceesing. "ah say again prease. Two poisoning and a head trauma, corwreck?" Alexi sighed "Yes and convulsions from one of the poisons." The imp spoke again, "I transfer you now to super. Ambulance on way."

Alexi looked at Adrianna now tears filling her eyes. "They're on their way. Is she going to be ok?" she stroked Juri's hair "she gotta be you guyz came to save me and this just isn't right for her to be like this." she began to ball though it quickly turned into a sniffle "Oh Juri, This is all my fault, please be alright. I'll even give you Mei Chan for you 'Mech, just be ok. please." THe voice was louder now, coming from her PA "HELLO! HELLO! is anyone There?!" Alexi picked back up the phone, almost automatically and listened "HELLO. HELLO?" she started responding in kind "Yes?" The voice spoke back to her, calmer now "yes mam, I understand that there has been a poisoning in your area, the medtechs are inbound now and should be there shortly. Do you have any or have access to charcoal tablets?" The voice droned on and and one as Alexi did her best to listen and not loose it.

Ambulance Interior,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:50 - 20:05 Hours

A short time later the paramedics had arrived with a group of local police. Unfortunately amidst the chaos the pink haired Asian had disappeared and the lone Blaze member had passed, apparently from some form of narcotic overdose. [likely induced from the small needle tip dart that the agent conveniently failed to put in their report] The girls were all crammed into an ambulance now speeding off towards the nearest hospital. Juri was stablized but mostly sedated. Alexi drapped over her listening to her breathing and whispered drug induced pleas. With a start Alexi jumped up and and headed to the front near the driver, plopping down in the passenger seat beside him. "I.. I.. I really hate to do this, but um... We can't go to the hospital now.. You need to take us to the spaceport instead.." The driver looked over at her like she was crazy but let the girl continue as he tried to watch the road. "Umm You see Juri can't go to the hospital right now, cause if she does, she'll miss our Op.. So um yeah.. If you would please.. just take us to the ship.. I can promise we'll make it worth your while.." She tried to smile and look as cute and seductive as possible. "Besides it's the only way I know of where we will all be happier.. then.. um if I have to use.. this." She pulled Juri's pistol from her side and pointed it nervously from her right side at the driver. "I promise you guys will be well compensated, and paw paw pay's real well... you can even have part of my paycheck if you decide to stay on and don't report us.."

Space Port, Terror's Dropship
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 20:30 Hours

Twenty minutes later at the ship, a lone mobile rescue unit approached, it's lights off and moving silently against the dimly lit tarmac. It continued on course all the way up to the ship and across it's cargo gantry tongue. There to be swallowed whole as it disappeared inside.

Edited by Oni Storm, 15 October 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#62 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

Juri's Quarters, Terror's Dropship
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 4:27 Hours

The lights hurt Juri's eyes as she came to. It didn't take long before she realized she had been moved to a small private quarter, looked like a CO's bunk, which left her confused. Guess someone thought it best to not have her with the rest of the crew in her state, and she didn't have to look in the mirror to know what she looked like, with that horrible taste of vomit in her mouth. Giving herself a moment, she started tensing her muscles one at a time, trying to find out what still worked. The hurt was dull, so it clearly wasn't so long ago, perhapse they had her stomach pumped.

So why wasn't she in the hospital? Sitting up, she looked around. Her gear and belongings had been hastily thrown in. Juri cringed thinking what was broken... She hoped her equipment was fine.

Pulling the covers away, she could see her chest bare, stripped down, looking at long red lines along her skin where scissors hastily cut across the clothing. Must have been serious. Twisting her body to let her legs hang off the edge of the bunk, she felt dizzy. She could really use some water to wash this taste of sick out of her mouth. Reaching to the side, she grabbed her water bottle. The liquid sloshed in it's clear plastic purple container, and as she sipped, she smiled. Thanks Adrianna.

Spitting the water into the waste bucket, she stood up, gripping the bed. Staggered steps brought her to her bags, and she started pulling out odd medical equipment, until she pulled out a small machine. She grabbed a small box labeled 'filter', and took it's contents and switched it in the device.

Taking a moment struggling to hook it up, she had it set up on the desk beside her. Nodding after inspecting the tubes she went to another bag, and pulled out a white kimono, the sleeves and elbow joints stained with droplets of blood. As she unfolded it, a set of needles and syringes were laid out in a clean leather satchel. Pulling out a pair of needles and resting them aside, she placed on the kimono, and her muscles relaxed, it was a softness that made her feel safe.

Rolling up her sleeve, she pulled out a rubber tube from the needle satchel, and wrapped it around her upper arm. It tightened, that uncomfortable pinching on her skin being the all too familiar herald to the punctures that came after as she forced the needles into her veins. Two punctures, two needles, two tubes on the device.

Once she hooked the machine up and removed the air from the tubes, she taped down the tubes and pulled the kimono sleeve where a few droplets of fresh blood now joined the collage. Dialysis was a headache, but there was going to be questions... There always are, probably be yelling and stern talking to.

"They are going to think you're weak Juri. They're probably right... You might have just cost yourself your credibility. Well, you're on the dropship, so you wouldn't be here if they fired your backside. Guess I am the one with more questions...."

Juri laid back with her upper body being held up by pillows behind her, the blankets pulled up to her abdomen, folded clean, everything put back in the bags. She didn't want to presume these would be her actual quarters, after all, who would trust an addict.

Reaching to the side table with the equipment, she placed her hand in her bag and shuffled some stuff around. after feeling the small cardboard box, worn and familiar, she pulled out the deck of cards. At least her hands seemed to have steadied, even if she was light headed.

Shuffling the cards, she tried turning one over the other, then double-lifts, fake-cuts, one-handed cuts, false-counts with four cards, then seven, then ten. She was waiting for the blood to purify. Juri was waiting for the pain to come back. Yet there was something more on her mind, and it gnawed at her, it gnawed at her since she first looked at the ceiling.

"Are you ok, Alexi?" She asked the dark.

#63 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

May 18th, 3059
1450 hours
Eksander’s Swamp, Southern Continent
Tarazed

“Outlaw 2-4, this is Outlaw Actual. You are to move to waypoint Bravo Bravo immediately over.”

“Outlaw 2-4, do you copy? Outlaw 2-4 come in over.”

Leutnant Andrew Wheeler ignored the radio strapped to his belt as he frantically ran through the dense underbrush towards the downed Blackjack omnimech smoldering before him. Explosions and gunfire rumbled in the distance, and machineguns chattered away much closer than Andrew would have liked.

“Outlaw 2-4, you are to proceed to waypoint Bravo Bravo and rally up with Outlaw 1-3 for immediate evac. That’s an order!”

Autocannon fire and static hissed through the radio in the background, lending emphasis to his commander’s order that he evacuate the area immediately, but instead, Andrew was outside of his mech and in the open…exposed. As he ran through the brush, Adam Scott, another member of his lance, met him at the downed mech. Frantically; he climbed through the shattered cockpit glass of the mech and began screaming for him.

“Oh God, oh God oh God DOCCC”

With his small kit in his hand, Andrew raced to the mech, tossed his bag through the cockpit and heaved himself into the shattered cockpit of his lance commander. Adam was furiously shaking the body of Lola Scott, his wife. Her left arm had been torn away, she had shrapnel wounds all over her body, and the majority of her skin had been blackened. She had been killed instantly. Minutes earlier he had watched an SRM detonate directly over her cockpit, unceremonially dropping the mech on its side, with smoke pouring from the wound. Andrew had known there had been little hope, but he had to try. His lancemates depended on him.

“Come on Adam, we have to go now.” Andrew was gently tugging on his arm as he continued to shake her limp body. His voice was quiet, but insistent, as the radio clipped to Andrew’s belt crackled to life again.

“Outlaw 2-4 this is Outlaw Actual. Answer me ******* it! We have confirmed Elemental activity in your area. Get the hell out of-“ Without warning a man’s voice screamed from the background.

“MADCAATT! Oh Jesus they found us!”

Outlaw Actual’s voice came back on the radio, speaking to the man in the background rather than Andrew.

“Get the hell out of here! Move to Phase Line-“ A tremendous explosion cut off the rest of what Outlaw Actual was saying, and the radio went dead afterward. Andrew reached down to turn off the radio and silence the static before grabbing Adam’s arm with both of his.

“Adam you have to leave her. She’s gone and we have to go. She wouldn’t want you to die out here because of her. We have to go!”

Angrily, Adam wrenched his arm away from Andrew.

“Get the hell off of me.” Adam then turned to cradled Lola’s lifeless body and spoke in soothing tones to her. “Doc’s going to fix you up baby. Everything is going to be all better. Don’t you fret. Doc is going to make it ok. Aren’t you Doc? Doc? DOC!”

Ambulance Interior,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
24th February, 3063, 19:58 Hours

Andrew shook his head groggily as the ambulance bounced over a particularly bad pot hole. A very young and very attractive pink haired girl was staring at him as if expecting an answer. Andrew stared blankly back at her.

“Doc? You are gonna fix her right Doc? She’s going to be ok right?”

Andrew stared down at the motionless body of the woman in front of him, her limp form gently rocking with the motion of the ambulance. Another attractive woman sat further back in the ambulance and stared expectantly at him. Swallowing hard, Andrew took a breath breath and closed his eyes for a moment. Tarazed did not reappear in his mind’s eye. Gently he rolled her on her side as a small amount of vomit appeared on her lips, causing most of the fluid to dribble down her cheek. Andrew reached for his scissors before looking up to make eye contact with the pink haired girl.

“Can you tell me what happened? She looks like she’s been poisoned or is ODing. Has she taken any substances tonight? Anything at all? I don’t care if it’s illegal.”

The pink haired girl shook her head meekly as Andrew began cutting away her shirt to listen to her heartbeat. “We need to get her to the hospital ASAP. I can’t do much without knowing what I’m dealing with here.” As he put the stethoscope in his ears to listen, the pink haired girl suddenly popped up out of her seat and went towards the driver.
“"I.. I.. I really hate to do this, but um... We can't go to the hospital now.. You need to take us to the spaceport instead.."
Andrew and the driver both looked at her, aghast. Andrew opened his mouth to protest but the girl cut him off. "Umm You see Juri can't go to the hospital right now, cause if she does, she'll miss our Op.. So um yeah.. If you would please.. just take us to the ship.. I can promise we'll make it worth your while.."

Taking the stethoscope out of his ears, Andrew’s eyes widened as the girl produced a pistol from her clothing. "Besides it's the only way I know of where we will all be happier.. then.. um if I have to use.. this. I promise you guys will be well compensated, and paw paw pay's real well... you can even have part of my paycheck if you decide to stay on and don't report us.."

Seeing he had no choice, Andrew recommenced working on the young woman, now known as Juri.

When we get to wherever we are going, I’m going to have a word with this “paw paw.”

Edited by Listless Nomad, 16 October 2012 - 07:16 AM.

#64 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Interior, Terror's Dropship
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 01:10 Hours

Alexi and Adrianna had made sure "Doc"'s companion driver had found his way to his new quarters besides Juri's own rather quickly and unceremoniously having basically thrown him in and telling him to page them via the ship with anything he needed, then pretty much locked in him til they could get more of a commitment from him.

The next four hours were spent watching helplessly as the Doctor went to work doing his thing and helping Juri anyway he could. Alexi's tear stricken eyes were dry now and felt like they had even been trying to cry blood at least a couple of times. She stared in immense awe of the Doctor and was somewhat amazed at anyone that would put their life on the line and continue to help out another regardless of what the end pay might be. She wondered the halls of the ship beside him now, showing him the somewhat ramshackle way they lived as they traveled from space port to spaceport trying to ply their ways of warfare in trade.

Alexi continued walking him to their make shift 'Mech bay, before turning to him with serious eyes and tone, "So Doc, I never have asked you for your name yet. What is it anyway? .. [she slid a finger beneath her collar, showing off just a hint of flesh and the slight mound hidden beneath her violet bra] I Guess what I really getting at, is if you have decided to allow us the opportunity to get to know all that and more about you? In other words, I was wondering if you have decided to join us or not? I mean I could take you to meet Paw Paw if that will help any??.. Umm but do you mind, terribly to umm.. not mention the whole gun thing :blink: please.. I'm not sure Father would approve of me playing with gun, or grabbing people off the street either, regardless of how cute they are [batting eyelashes] Soooo.. If you don't mind could you maybe leave.. Umm that part out, pretty please :rolleyes: Oh and before I forget." Alexi grabbed the man close and then jumped up to kiss him and hold it for a second on his cheek. "Thank you sooo MUCH!!!.. for saving Juri!! regardless of what you decide, I'll never ever ever forget what you did for her and us all for that matter... You're just one of the greatest guys ever..." :wub: So what say I show you our bridge? It's nothing special but it's got the best view of the stars and the surrounding spaceport." :D

Edited by Oni Storm, 17 October 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#65 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Interior, Terror's Dropship
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 01:10 Hours

Andrew was exhausted. After being shanghaied onto a, what turned out to be, military dropship, he spent the next few hours just trying to save the poor woman’s life. Not knowing what he was dealing with, he simply tried to make her comfortable and stable, hoping that her body would be able to recover on its own. After a nerve-wracking wait, her heart rate slowly returned to normal, as did her breathing although she remained unconscious. Along with the slightly older woman, Andrew carried Juri to a nearby room and placed her belongings next to her. The young pink haired girl then took him by the arm and began walking him through the interior of the dropship, explaining where all the different stations were located. It seemed a strange thing to do with someone that you had just kidnapped at gun point, but Andrew detected no malice from the young woman, and it seemed right now that she needed him more for reassurance and comfort, than any desire to be a good host. Eventually, the young girl seemed satisfied that everything was going to be ok, and let fatigue get the better of her. She showed him to his quarters, and turned to face him.

"So Doc, I never have asked you for your name yet. What is it anyway?”

She slid a finger beneath her collar, showing off just a hint of flesh and the slight mound hidden beneath her violet bra.

“M-My name is Andrew Wheeler. Everybody just calls me Doc though.” He pulled his cap down over his eyes as the pink haired girl batted her eye lashes at him.

“I Guess what I really getting at, is if you have decided to allow us the opportunity to get to know all that and more about you? In other words, I was wondering if you have decided to join us or not? I mean I could take you to meet Paw Paw if that will help any? Umm but do you mind, terribly to umm.. not mention the whole gun thing please? I'm not sure Father would approve of me playing with gun, or grabbing people off the street either, regardless of how cute they are.” She batted her eyelashes at him again and played with the belt loops on her shorts. “Soooo.. If you don't mind could you maybe leave.. Umm that part out, pretty please Oh and before I forget." Andrew was shocked as the young girl pulled him close and then jumped up to kiss him and hold it for a second on his cheek. "Thank you sooo MUCH!!!.. for saving Juri!! Regardless of what you decide, I'll never ever, ever forget what you did for her, and us all for that matter... You're just one of the greatest guys ever!” Andrew was taken aback by the whole event. He was happy to have helped, even under dubious circumstances, but the attentions of this girl was something he was not used to. Women had never been his strong suit. “So what say I show you our bridge? It's nothing special but it's got the best view of the stars and the surrounding spaceport."

Andrew hesitated as the girl lightly tugged on his arm towards the bridge. The primal part of his brain wanted him to go with her and see where the night led. The more rational part of his brain told him to be cautious. He’d just been held at gun point by this woman, and he was now on a strange and obviously military dropship. It was best to keep his wits, and his clothes about him.

“Reluctantly, I must decline. I am rather exhausted and can’t stay awake another minute. As for joining your merry band…forgive me if I ask to sleep on it? I have a lot on my mind…”

The young girl relinquished his arm and stepped back, a small pout appearing on her face.

“Fineeee… Rain check?” she asked expectantly. Andrew sheepishly smiled back.

“We’ll see.” and with that, the two of them parted ways for the night.

Upon closing the door to his room, Andrew let out a long sigh of exhaustion and unzipped his paramedic’s coveralls, letting the top half hang around his waist. He flopped onto the bed and immediately closed his eyes, falling asleep without so much as removing his boots.

May 19th, 3059
1710 hours
Eksander’s Swamp, Southern Continent
Tarazed

Andrew was sweating. The heat in his cockpit was almost unbearable, but he had to keep fighting if he wanted a chance. They were dead. They were all dead. Everyone in his lance, command, all of them killed by the Smoke Jaguar. Andrew had heard on comms that dropships were coming in with the rest of the 3rd to relieve him, and he was working his way toward the landing site through the dense jungle that made up most of the southern continent. His blackjack had been savaged. His right arm hung limp at the mech’s side and several heat sinks had been destroyed. He also suspected his reactor might have been damaged as excessive heat washed over him simply picking his way through the trees. Then he saw it again. Lumbering cautiously through the trees, its mottled grey and green camouflage making it hard to discern in the background.

The MadCat.

It was the same MadCat that had been stalking him for an hour now; toying with him. He snapped off a medium laser at it, and felt the rush of hot air wash over his body. The laser struck home, melting a gouge out of one of the missile pods of the clan mech, but doing no significant damage. It did not fire back. Andrew could feel the sweat pouring off his face. He was afraid. The MadCat rarely fired, but when it did it crippled one sub system or another. It was as if the clanner wanted to pick him apart piece by piece, until there was nothing left but a cockpit to crush. No matter how Andrew tried to maneuver, the enemy mech always matched his movements, drawing ever closer to him.

Andrew looked through his cockpit viewscreen at the enemy mech, bobbing up and down, it’s body alternately hidden and illuminated by shafts of light through the trees. Like a shark.

Andrews's Quarters, Terror's Dropship
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 4:25 Hours

Andrew awoke with a start, nearly hitting his head on the unoccupied bunk bottom above him. Wiping his forehead, he discovered that his face and hair were soaked with sweat. Sitting alone in the dark, he took another deep breath and shook his head, running his fingers through his hair.

You are alive and you made it. Your dreams can’t make it otherwise. You won.

Pushing himself up out of the bed, he headed into the corridor, squinting at the bright light of the passageway. Looking for the head so that he could wash his face, he wandered off down the hallway.

Should have spent the night with that cutie. She probably would have given me better dreams…

At four in the morning there wasn’t much activity, so the ship was pretty quiet, just a light humming from the idle reactor.

“Well…I’m awake and probably not going to get back to sleep any time soon, so I might as well go check on my patient.” Andrew mumbled to no one in particular. He walked for a few minutes before finding her room. Gingerly he pushed open the door and looked into the dimly lit room. He couldn’t see all that well, but he could make out the form of Juri, and she appeared to be awake.

“Come on in. Don’t be shy…” came the voice from the darkness, and it startled Andrew.

“S-Sorry to just walk in. I thought you might still be asleep. I just wanted to check on you and see how you were doing. Maybe you could shed some light on what happened? My name is Andrew Wheeler by the way. But everyone just calls me Doc.”

At that he gave kind of a sheepish grin and closed the door behind him, as he could tell the harsh glare from the hallway was affecting her eyes.

“Mind if I sit down and we can chat?”

Juri gestured for him to take a seat at the desk adjacent to her bed. As his eyes adjusted from the brightness of the passageway, he noticed that she was practicing card tricks on the bed in front of her.

“Hey neat! I never could follow card tricks.” She smiled wanly at him, obviously still weakened from her ordeal. It was only then that Andrew noticed the two small tubes snaking their way to a small machine, which emitted a small purring noise. Andrew’s eyes narrowed slightly.

Andrew’s voice took on a slightly harder edge. Beyond his natural concern for her well being, he now suspected more than ever that he had been taken on by a group of convicts or pirates. Andrew had worked very hard to stay out of that life.

“Your friends didn’t want to take you to the hospital. It’s clear that you need one. Care to explain why?”

#66 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Harlech City,
Outreach,

"Friends didn't want to take me to the hospital huh?" Juri looked up and about as she continued to over-cut the cards in her hands repeatedly. This stranger who she invited into her room looked a little familiar, maybe it was from one of those moment where she almost regained consciousness.

"Well... It would seem to me that we are on a tight scheduled. Since you're concern in your voice was high when mentioning a hospital, I am going to guess you were some how involved in me being here. Not sure if that's direct or just a passer by, but never the less, thank you. You're giving me a distraction, and sometimes that's just really valuable unto itself."
Juri's hands placed the deck beside the dialysis machine, the tubes running read as they drained her life through it's filters and back into her body. She hated the idea that she was having to force herself in a very desperate means to sober up, but she could not take the risk of more things getting out of hand.

"Never caught your name. They call me Juri, Juri Kutsuu. Trust you do not speak Japanese, do you? That's alright, might be better off. Something tells me that you're not exactly keen on being here, us 'dubious' types. I trust running into a woman who's poisoned herself on painkillers and alcohol isn't going to give you much confidence when you hear she'll be operating a battlemech sometime in the next couple of days."

Juri chuckled to herself, bringing her hand to her lips and jesturing for a moment, 'pardon me' approach. "The absurdity of it is pretty funny, but that's the case. Most we can do right now is try to drink alot of water, eat well enough to regain the energy and nutrients I probably threw up... Was that on account of you or my own? I guess it doesn't matter. I guess in a dark room, a woman hooked up to tubes in a bloody dress must look like a horror movie."

She leaned over slowly, that stabbing sensation began slicing into her back and she winced, taking in a deep breath and trying to relax herself as much as possible. "So let's get the awkward out of the way. Not sure if you are familiar with CRPS, but basically it means I am in a lot of hurt, all the time. I think you can imagine then how a gathering can go horribly wrong if I don't manage myself. I have no doubt I would have been fine if Alexi didn't need help. I am assuming you know who Alexi is, pink hair, energetic, eccentric. Well, for me I kinda needed to be operational and over-estimated the current mix along with the alcohol I was trying not to over-do. I don't make it a habit mixing, but I do make it a habit to manage my intake of painkillers."

Tilting her head sideways, she took in Doc's responses that were written in a look rather than words. "And none of this comes as a shock to you in the slightest.... Tells me that you've seen something like this, or understand the implications. You're sitting tells me you've taken in alot of briefings, so it's looking more and more like.... Combat Medic? Am I right?"

Leaning back, she tried to relax. "So Doctor... I guess this is where you tell my unit commander that I am unfit for duty and should be taken off the mission immediately? Wouldn't blame ya, and I doubt any amount of begging or threats are going to change what you have to say. I will say this though, somehow my 'friends' convinced the situation to get me here, so it might say something to how much they need me here, be it in combat or other situations. I personally wish I was better at it, but we do what we can."

"As it stands, I need to be sharp, can't do that without sleep. There is a bag of about 800cc of Morphine in the brown and black-striped bag at your feet, would you be kind enough to help me set it up so I can get some rest and give us enough time to clean up before the op? OH! Also, sugar-cookies in the side pouch, those are good, want one?" Juri grinned like a child.

Edited by MacabreDerek, 17 October 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#67 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Harlech City,
Outreach,

"So Doctor... I guess this is where you tell my unit commander that I am unfit for duty and should be taken off the mission immediately? Wouldn't blame ya, and I doubt any amount of begging or threats are going to change what you have to say. I will say this though, somehow my 'friends' convinced the situation to get me here, so it might say something to how much they need me here, be it in combat or other situations. I personally wish I was better at it, but we do what we can."

The remark took Andrew by surprise. As she'd been speaking, he'd simply nodded, taking a fair few mental notes. Her condition seemed much improved, likely due to the homemade dialysis machine she was currently attached to. She was obviously in a lot of pain, and her explanation as to why made sense, if it wasn't a little unusual. He'd studied the disorder briefly during his time at medical school, and had seen similar cases while in the field - although those had been caused exclusively by injuries. In Andrew's mind, it was more likely she was just an addict who's pain was of a more phantom variety. Still, she seemed sincere enough. He'd take her at her word for the time being. More troubling was her account of mixing painkillers and alcohol. She was obviously aware of the risks that carried, but she didn't seem to worry all that much. In fact, she didn't seem to worry about anything, lest of all her career. She was obviously involved in some kind of military outfit or operation, and seemingly he held her ability to carry out the mission in his hands. Internally, he dismissed that notion. He had no right to keep her from doing what she loved, especially something as dangerous as being a mechwarrior.

Being a mechwarrior...Isn't that what you've been trying to get back into all this time? That pink haired girl, Alexi apparently,offered me a job. This could be my big break...

"As it stands, I need to be sharp, can't do that without sleep. There is a bag of about 800cc of Morphine in the brown and black-striped bag at your feet, would you be kind enough to help me set it up so I can get some rest and give us enough time to clean up before the op? OH! Also, sugar-cookies in the side pouch, those are good, want one?" Juri grinned like a child.

Andrew smiled back. With a slap of his thighs as he rose, Andrew headed towards the bag Juri had indicated.

"Combat medic yes, Doctor no. I'm ex LAAF and didn't have a chance to finish my medical school training, though I got enough 'practical' experience in the field." Andrew's voice carried an undercurrent of pain at that last sentence. "I don't have any right to tell your commander what you can and can't do. Seems to me like you've been dealing with this for a while and can handle yourself. CRPS isn't really in and of itself fatal in my understanding, and so as long as you manage your treatment properly you should be fine." Andrew was setting up the IV bag near her bed as she prepped the needle for insertion into her arm. Once the IV was in place, and Juri sighed with the contentment of pain relief, Andrew bent and grabbed a cookie. Headed to the door, he stopped and turned to face Juri as she began to drift toward sleep.

"I have to say that tonight has been one of the weirdest and most interesting nights of my life. I can't say if I'll be here tomorrow, but it's been an experience. Take care Juri." Andrew took a big bite of the cookie and mumbled a "Good Night" through chewing before disappearing through the door.

#68 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 4:35 Hours

The morphine had Juri back down to a nice relaxed state when Adrianna pushed the door open.

“Hi,” she said, as Juri turned to her, eyes slightly unfocused, “The Doc mentioned you’d regained consciousness.”

Adrianna sat down on the bed, worry creasing her brow. “Juri...what in h***’s name were you on? And before you get started, I don’t mean that as a mark of respect for gutsy bravado. I mean, literally, what the f*** drugs were in your system? Frankfurt, for god knows what reason, wants to make you his XO, and you’re setting yourself on fire while hopped up on enough...whatever, that your body d*** near shutdown.”

She sighed, “I’m...sorry, I’d meant that to be softer. But seriously, that s*** you pulled was stu.pid. We’re relying on you. We don't need someone full to the eyeballs with combat stims, that's just a liability.”

#69 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Mechbay, Terror's Dropship
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 6:02 Hours

Andrew looked around at the assembled mechs in the bay. They weren’t standing in their usual positions, but were instead tied down and secured for storage, for what appeared to be a long journey. A few techs and delivery men bustled about, stowing yet more shrinkwrapped gear and consumables. It was clear that that would be leaving soon. Earlier that morning, Alexi had walked him through the bay, pointing out her personal mech, as well as the hulking shape that was Juri’s Stalker. Andrew felt a pull of adventure, the desire to return once more to the life of a mechwarrior. He knew that this ship, and this crew were his chance to get off this rock and finally make enough money to complete his…project. He couldn’t let it pass him by. Just then, the ambulance driver Doug Wilkerson walked up behind him and clapped him on the shoulder.

“Ready to get off this crazy train Wheeler? I sure as frak am. Come on.”

Doug took a few steps toward the exit ramp and waved for Wheeler to follow him. With a bit of a discontented sigh, Andrew reluctantly followed him down the ramp.

On the road to Mechbay 45, Wu Feng’s Mech Emporium and #1 Good Luck Parts
Harlech City, Asian Quarter
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 8:26 Hours

Yes Mr. Feng. Yes…Yes I understand. Yeah I got it. Two days late, I understa- wait WHAT! No that’s bull. You can’t do that! I don’t care that you-“

The line on the other end went dead. Wu Feng, the owner and landlord of the mechbay where Andrew had been storing his bushwhacker and actually living for the past few months had hung up. He was tired of Andrew constantly being late on his rent, and had decided that he would take Andrew’s mech as payment, fulfilling his rent obligations for the next few years. Of course leaving Andrew dispossessed. When Andrew arrived at the mechbay, the security that Wu Feng had hired had dropped all of his personal belongings on the street, where several passing hovercars had splashed water on them from the copious puddles left over from the previous night’s rain. Andrew gathered up his belongings and dropped them off at the Ambulance depot, while he sat and thought about what he was going to do.

Andrew sat with his head in his hands, his fingers lightly massaging his scalp. He was dispossessed and homeless again, and with precious few CBills. He closed his eyes to think and in doing so missed the approach of his friend Doug.

“Hey man.”

Andrew looked up at Doug surprised and waved a hello for leaning back and sighing. Doug pulled up a chair in front of where Andrew was sitting and sat backwards in the chair, his arms resting on the backrest.

“Just go get it back Wheeler.” Doug’s face was calm, with a half smile but Andrew sat forward in annoyance.

“Get go get it? I can’t just go get it. It’s not mine anymore and that’s that.”

Doug held up his hand to forstall any further argument.

“Does he have any papers to prove it’s his? Did he change the security code to the mech? No. As far as anyone is concerned your mech is still yours. So…just go get it.”

A look of realization dawned on Andrew’s face. What Doug was saying was absolutely true. Wu Feng was a shady enough character. He likely wouldn’t want to go through official channels to claim his mech, and cracking the security code would take some time to do. A plan began to form in Andrew’s mind. Getting up quickly Andrew headed for the bathroom, bringing his clothes with him. When he emerged, he was clad in his combat boots, BDU pants and his cooling vest, with his neurohelmet tucked under one arm. Shocked, Andrew discovered that the rest of his belongings were already packed up in a Harlech Allied Ambulance Company duffel bag. Walking up to him, Doug shook Andrew’s hand firmly.

“Get yourself off this rock buddy. This place isn’t for you. Go get your mech – I’ll bring your stuff back to that dropship. Get going.”

With a silent nod, the two parted and Andrew headed out into the morning sun, breaking out into a light jog towards where his mech was parked.

Just outside Mechbay 45, Wu Feng’s Mech Emporium and #1 Good Luck Parts
Harlech City, Asian Quarter
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 9:30 Hours

Andrew crouched down next to a dumpster, and pulled out his P-Comm, quickly dialing the number for the local police station.

“Hello? My name is…Edgar Roberts. I just came from Wu Feng’s Mech Emporium an- yep, that’s right…and #1 Good Luck Mech Parts. Right. So I just came from there and I saw a large number of illegal narcotics in his storage area. Bring crates, like he was planning to ship them off world or something. I think you need to hurry. They were labeled autocannon rounds, but I’ve never seen an autocannon shoot packages of a white powdery substance. I don’t think he knows I saw them. Right. Wu..Feng. Yep. Alright thanks so much!”

Andrew abruptly hung up and settled down on his haunches to wait. About twenty minutes later, Andrew heard police sirens and gathered up his gear. At least six police cars went screaming by his hiding place, coming to a rest in front of the store portion of the Emporium. Several police officers raced into the building, causing all of Wu Feng’s security to rush over to investigate. As quietly as he could, Andrew walked through the now abandoned gate area and towards Mechbay 45. Andrew could see Wu Feng gesticulating wildly and yelling as the police began pulling apart large crates of autocannon rounds, spilling the deadly explosives on the ground. Andrew picked up speed as he approached the doorway, before quietly slipping through.

The mechbay itself was deserted, save for a few ramshackle mechs sitting idely. Andrew ignored them and made his way up the gantry to his own Bushwhacker. It still bore many of the corportate slogans and endorsements common to Solaris mechs. He slipped inside the cockpit hatch and dogged it closed behind him. As he plopped down in the command chair, Andrew let out an enormous sigh of relief. He clipped in his 5 point restraint harness, but did not hook up his cooling vest. Once he had his neurohelmet in place, he brought only the main reactor and sensors online. When ownership all of the old passcodes and phrases had been left the same, and Andrew hadn’t had time to change them yet. Once the numerical sequence had been entered, the familiar voice of the computer spoke.

“What is the best way to wake up in the morning?”

Andrew sighed heavily. “With a nutritious breakfast of Mechaflakes. Wholesome and delicious, they are the best way to start off any mechwarrior’s day.”

“Passcode confirmed. Welcome back Reginald.”

Andrew rolled his eyes. He’d really have to get that fixed soon.

“Systems: Online. Reactor: Online: Sensors: Online, Weapons: Offline. All systems: Nominal.”

With a satisfied smirk, Andrew activated the button Wu Feng had given him, remotely activating the doors to the mechbay. As the Bushwhacker slowly walked out of the mechbay, he looked out of the viewport to see Wu Feng screaming at the officers. One of them was attempting to open one of the autocannon shells with a hammer. At the sound of the large mech stomping out onto the road, all of the officers and Feng turned to look. Feng instantly identified the mech and opened his mouth to speak, before angrily closing it. Andrew smirked and activated his external speakers.

“Sorry Wu, but I’ve decided to relocate my mech to another garage. It would appear you are involved in nefarious activities and I don’t trust my mech to remain here any longer. It might even get stolen. Have a nice day.”

With that he turned away from the dejected Wu Feng, as the officer resumed trying to open the shell with the hammer. Feng knew better than to alert the police to what Andrew was doing.

In Front of the Terrors’ Dropship
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 10:45 Hours

Sticking to the mech access roads that crisscrossed Harlech for mech transportation, it took Andrew a little under a half hour to reach the spaceport and find the dropship he had been kidnapped to the previous night. Swallowing deeply, he marched his mech right up the loading ramp and into the cavernous mechbay of the dropship, before powering down in a relatively unoccupied space. Climbing down, he noticed his bag off to the side by the loading dock. He quickly ran over to retrieve it before returning to lay back on the foot of his battlemech.

“Whelp. I guess I’m going to meet this “Paw Paw” afterall. Gosh I hope this was a good decision…” he said to no one in particular. As the various techs and loaders continued to bustle around him, Andrew lay back and waited for a familiar face to either welcome him or kick him off the ship.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 18 October 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#70 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 4:37 Hours

Sitting in the dim-lit room with the I.V. dripping clear fluid into her veins, Juri smiled at Adrianna. Considering for a moment sarcasm would be the best response, she pushed such thoughts aside. Adrianna for the most part seemed relatively calm as she bombarded Juri with questions, but the only thing she didn't out-right say was the thing she was most revealing. After a moment of silence when she was done her little outburst, she padded the side of her bed, the bloody-sleeve kimono flowing lightly even with the heavy rubber surgical tubing.

"Come, sit Adrianna. Trust me, I don't make a habit of ending up being driven to work by an ambulance. It's ok... Now, let's see if I can answer your question, and maybe increase your worries a bit because I know they sure as gravity are not going to relax you." Pointing to the bag of morphine dripping into her viens. "That stuff might though, but I wouldn't try it."

"So... What was I on? Well, I'd imagine it was the alcohol that did it, had a bottle and a quarter. Well, the reason that did me in was I had about half a bottle of over-the-counter codeine before I got to the bar, and another eight pills on the way to find Alexi. It's difficult to do your job when your internal organs are being ground up with glass after all."

"I guess the follow up question is, 'why'. For instance, why would I risk going through dialysis for the past while, cut it short just to put myself back on morphine? Well, that bag holds about 800cc's, so that means on a slow drip, that is going to last me the next 12 hours. It's a slow drip, so it's not impairing my ability to speak or understand anything, it's just making me really tired and relaxed, which is actually very rare for me. The reason is I am, for the most part, requiring a lot of discipline to get through a day without painkillers. It's a funky thing involving my nervous system, basically means a lot of hurt at random times for no reason, means I dont get to go to bed at my earliest convenience."

Juri sighed, and reached down into the black and brown striped bag. Pulling out a container, she opened it and brought a sugar cookie to her mouth and nibbled on it. Reaching the container to Adrianna offering her a cookie, Juri tried to set a tone of ease. "Must be difficult for you, everything you do seems planned, optimized. On a normal day, most don't get to guess I am even on anything. I took a risk drinking anything, but it was a simple misdirection. I think what did it was taking alot of pills afterwards, but the reality was Alexi needed help, and I responded to it. It's like I told Az, if you trust me to do your job, you'll come up Aces."

"I guess that leads into the other question of what the hell am I doing with this much medical equipment then in luggage? Well, it's really quite simple, living as I do you kinda get a crash-course in anesthesiology, basic first aid, first response training, ya know, stuff that might make your own life a little easier."

Putting her hand under her chin she gave some clear thought into Adrianna's comments. "I am glad you're worried, I like people sharp and aware. It's the people who do not care and are flippant to the needs of the lance that worry me Adrianna. Though I think you and I both know I would never ask for a command position. And to be clear, I didn't set myself on fire, unless water was suddenly flammable with properties I wasn't aware of, but unless you break it down to it's hydrogen and oxygen components and the levels were right then I guess maybe you could set yourself on fire with water, but I think we both know that requires a lot of.... Sorry, morphine, makes me ramble on, mostly because I am trying to not be rude and pass out in front of you."

Placing the lid on the container, she pushed it to the side of her bed. "Let's assume Thom want's me as an XO, I guess there are only two questions. Are you going to drag Thom into this room to have me explain myself to him and try to get me ejected from the unit for the safty of the mission? Or are you willing to trust me, knowing how far I will go to get the job done and get everyone home paycheck in hand?"

#71 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

((Azman's side adventures A))

Temptown,
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 1904 Hours

Azman rode furiously on a little girl’s bicycle, rainbow streamers cutting proudly through the air as the mercenary whisked through the grim slums of Temptown.

Azman had stolen the bicycle from a little girl, affluent by her attire, most likely a merchant’s daughter. As an adult Azman took it upon himself to impart the wisdom that all material possessions were transitory, so, Azman stole the bicycle from the girl. Hopefully the young miss would go home and reflect, one more step closer to the higher truths. Azman nodded at his good deed, never mind when he stole the bicycle, the little girl was screaming, cursing at him in fluent French (children these days…)

The truth was (aside from imparting moral lessons to the young), Azman’s destination was Temptown – the slums of Harlech. A locale even Harlech’s elemental police think carefully before going. Azman was hesitant to take a cab there. It would only alert, to those watching, that the alighting passenger had money and just imagine what problems that will ensue. And Azman was hesitant to walk, that in itself poses other possible risks. So Azman figured going in to Temptown on a poor plain bicycle wouldn’t raise too much notice. Sounded like a plan. So Azman stole the first bicycle he came across. A bicycle with rainbow streamers on its handle bars!

…Laugh all you want. Paddle as fast as you can. You cannot block away where you are, here in this hole that was your home…

Azman gritted at the voice that was and was not his. Azman was paddling furiously, maybe even madly. Maybe if he paddled fast enough, move fast enough, his eyes wouldn’t linger long on all too familiar sights on all too familiar streets. Temptown was the place he washed up to, a good a place as any to die. Broken and defeated as he was when he first arrived. Maybe he had died and a doppelganger now wears his browncoat, riding on this child’s bicycle. Maybe…

Azman reached his destination. ‘Boba’s Parts and Pieces’ the sign read outside the rundown warehouse. It was evening and people were trickling in. Azman hid his little bicycle and joined the trickling crowd.

Boba's Parts and Pieces Warehouse,
Temptown, Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 1927 Hours

Boba’s Parts and Pieces was a wide open warehouse filled with junk. From rusted bolts and thrown away screwdrivers all the way to an actual blown off battlemech hand actuator, all sorts of assortments were piled up everywhere in small mounds for any would be customer to scavenge through and haggle a price.

Azman was not here for scavenging today. He followed the crowd, walking passed the small hills of junk to the centre of the warehouse where a make-shift boxing ring had been erected. Scattered benches were set around for those who came early to sit. And the trickling crowd were the early ones. Men, bare-chested, were limbering up, going through their paces in and around the makeshift ring. It was a sight fight fans were familiar with.

Azman scanned the people near the ring and immediately found the person he was looking for. It was hard to miss him. The man was a giant. Standing past 7 ft tall with the girth of a small mountain, in large blue overalls, the man was bald, had pasty skin, big bug eyes and bulging fat lips. But the giant wore a huge genuine almost childlike smile that shone from his heart. Immediately anyone who saw the big man’s facial features and expression could tell the man was autistic but his smile somehow relayed that he was at peace with himself. The big man’s name was Gunthor.

Azman knew Gunthor from odd ball merc jobs now and then. Gunthor tagged along with his ‘brother’ old toothless Sally. The pair were freelance techs offering their wrenches to anyone offering a job and maybe had a bunk or two free. Azman never knew where Sally found Gunthor or how he spotted the giant’s talent. Autistic Gunthor may be, but a savant the giant was with all things mechanical. A real greased maestro with a wrench. It worked out fine - the pairing of Sally and Gunthor. No one would mess with the old man with his ‘little’ brother by his side and Sally would make sure no one bullied the gentle giant. So Azman would meet the two vagabond techs now and then on odd merc jobs here and there. Azman heard two years back old Sally had finally kicked the bucket, had a massive heart attack, died in a toilet. After Sally’s death, Azman heard small talk of Gunthor being bullied and taken advantage of, passed blamed for any mishaps and generally mistreated at every work he went. Was it any wonder when Azman was rutting in his own black place would find Gunthor washed up in the slums of Temptown almost two years ago?

Gunthor was standing beside the makeshift ring wearing a huge black chest protector. As always on Boba’s weekly Fight Night, Gunthor was being readied for the pre-show entertainment. Every week the gentle giant was made to be the ‘Human Punching Bag’. For a minimum fee, any member of the audience could have a three minute round with the ‘Human Punching Bag’ lashing their hearts content at Gunthor. But not tonight.

Azman made a bee line straight to a small man standing beside the giant. The small man was wearing a moth-eaten business suit, fingerless cotton gloves and a bowler hat.

“Boba, we need to talk.” Azman spoke to the proprietor of Boba’s Parts and Pieces warehouse and the organizer of the weekly Boba’s Fight Night.

Boba'sOffice
Temptown, Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 1932 Hours

The office where they went to discuss business turn out to be nothing more than an overly exaggerated spacious toilet. Probably the toilet had been the executive restroom for the higher ups back when the warehouse had seen better days. Now it’s a just converted audience chamber where the new lord of the warehouse chose to receive those beneath him.

Boba sat prominently on his converted toilet bowl throne, bowler hat and all, his hands rested on the foldable table in front of him, his fingers interlaced in a confident way. For added refinement, classical music was softly playing from a seemingly busted up radio. Azman sighed and dragged a stool to sit down.

As always, Azman felt slightly annoyed whenever he was in proximity with Boba L’Fatt. All the writings of the untrustworthy cappellan rang true with the seedy business man and the annoying part was this rat of a man seemed to revel in projecting the stereotype. Eyes slithering, a smirk plastered on his five o’clock shadow of a face, one always had the sinking feeling they were getting the raw end of the deal when dealing with Boba. No wonder half the universe seemed to have a stick against the Confederation. It was comrades like him that gave capellans a bad rep. Not that Azman was anymore a saint, the mercenary reflected. Still, as always Azman felt slightly annoyed whenever he was near Boba L’Fatt.

“Yes I own the dumb lug. He signed the contract see. All nice and legit.” Boba waved to a scrawny underling who flipped through a file with self-importance, finally showing some laminated piece of paper. “So let me get this straight? You want dumb Gunthor?”

“I need his services yes. And he’s not dumb.” Azman went for the pockets of his browncoat and forwarded a thick white envelope on the table.

Boba took a quick see at the contents of the white envelope and whistled at the wad of c-bills inside. “It seems you have had good times.”

“It’s more then you earn a year with Gunthor. Let him go comrade.” Again Azman asked himself the rationale in taking the civil route. Despite his appearance, Boba was inconveniently well connected, not just in Temptown but throughout Harlech. Any suspious accident to Boba’s health would raise too many questions, alert too many eyes. Well mercs are not always all about balls and bayonets and maybe Azman reflected, appealing to a person’s better self, even a low-life like Boba, could bring results. Maybe.

“My hands are tied comrade.” Boba held up his hands in exaggerated theatre. “As you already noticed the crowd is filling up. I already have paid customers who want their rounds with Gun. I need him tonight.”

“And I need him in good condition, not beat up.”

Azman stretched his hand to the envelope on the table and started to draw it back to him. Boba watched as the wad of money was slowly retreating away.

He reached out his grubby fingerless gloved hand to stop the slow escape of the envelope and the c-bills inside.

“Maybe we can reach an agreement.” Boba licked his lips.

Makeshift Boxing Ring
Temptown, Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 1940 Hours

The crowd was indeed filling up. Already all the scattered benches were taken and those left standing were starting to joust about for the best view of the ring.

Azman was already in the makeshift boxing ring. A quick search of Boba’s junk storage had Azman wearing an ill-fitting chest protector, an old pair of boxing gloves and a dented baseball helmet. Azman had to bargain and buy his mouth guard from one of the fighters at a jacked up price. Dam Lyran.

Boba slithered to the centre of the ring. With an emergency megaphone in hand, the rat of a man began to make a wailing announcement.

“May I have your attention please! May I have your attention please!” He squealed. “Welcome to Boba’s Fight Night!” The crowd gave a healthy woot. “The scheduled matches tonight shall begin in a short while. But first, for your viewing and punching pleasure, come one, come all and test your strength on a walking breathing punching bag!”

Boba took another breath.

“Tonight Boba has a special treat for all of you. A different walking punching bag!” Boba gestured to Azman waiting at the corner.

“He hails from the backwater planets of House Liao.” Boba began. “A former CCAF solider and ever puppet of Chancellor Sun-Tzu. He laughs at our civil war and thinks the Archon is ugly and the former Precentor Martial overrated. I give to you - a Capellan of the Confederation!”

Hostile jeers erupted from the crowd. Azman clicked his teeth. The state of the Inner Sphere as it was, the former CCAF soldier saw the escalating conflict between the Lyran Alliance and the Federated commonwealth to be an internal family matter, just like the conflict between the Capellan Confederation and the St Ives Compact. A sore point not to be pressed. Passions being as they were. Already a line was forming up down the makeshift ring.

“Yes, step right up folks. For a minimum fee, test your strength on the human punching bag. The scheduled matches will begin in a short while.”

Boba slithered out of the ring and gave Azman a wink as he did.

Makeshift Boxing Ring
Temptown, Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 1949 Hours

The jeers were starting to get louder. Already three fights in people were starting to complain. The rules were Azman couldn’t fight back against the shmoes who paid good money to have their three minutes with the human punching bag. But that doesn’t mean Azman planned to idly stand by and get beat at. So the mercenary in an ill-fitting chest protector, wearing a dented baseball helmet began dodging and dancing, slipping to the sides and getting out of harm’s way. Hell if he was getting hit.

“The whole point is to get hit!” Boba in his bowler hat hissed from down at ring side.

“Screw you Boba!” Azman shot back, with his mouth guard and all, as he dodged another blow by some out of work musician.

“That’s it! If you don’t start getting hit then the deals off! And I’ll work dumb Gun double! I swear it! I want ten fights minimum, you hear me!”

Azman glanced at the giant Gunthor still at ringside, all geared up still wearing his huge child-like smile of his, seemingly oblivious to the hate and anger around him.

Azman sighed deeply and made a choice. He lumbered to the centre of the ring, hands up level to his eye, his posture defensive and stood there. As the blows came, Azman reflected it was only fitting. How long had he had known a harmless soul like Gun was getting beat on a weekly basis and did nothing? It was time to stand in another man’s shoes and understand. A side punch to the ribs had Azman gritting. Ten fights minimum.

Boba's Office
Temptown, Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 2032 Hours

Azman woke up, eyes tearing, finding a small bottle of smelling salts particularly shoved up his nose. He wrenched the foul bottle out of his nostrils, winching at the pungent smell of ammonia and the cheap lighting of the room that brought him back to the living. Classical music was softly playing at the background. I’m at Boba’s toilet office. Azman placed his hand to his jaw trying to relocate it back.

“Took your time waking up.” A small man in a moth-eaten business suit and wearing a bowler hat sneered down. “Bah. That was disgraceful. I’ve seen kok-fights giving better shows then the show you put up there. And I’m not talking about the fowl variety either.”

The sounds of cheers and jeers outside told Azman that Fight Night had moved on without him. It was then Azman noticed Gunthor, giant Gunthor in the room. He was so huge his head was perpetually bowed, grazing the celling. The ever serene smile shone on the big man’s face.

“Those Davions know how to throw a punch.” Azman said, or tried to say, still working on his jaw, his thoughts flashed back on an angry infantry veteran, probably discharged from the AFFC judging by the fading fatigues the man still wore who, having paid his three minutes, began to physically articulate to Azman his views on House Liao.

“Don’t Davions always know how to throw a punch?” Boba shrugged. There was a glint in the small man’s eyes. Azman wondered if the slime ball rat would keep his end of the bargain. If not…

“Relax comrade.” Boba waved as if reading Azman’s thoughts. “No double-crossing. Well, not tonight.” Boba snapped his fingers. The scrawny underling from earlier slinked in from a corner. Flipping through his file again with inflated importance, the scrawny underling handed over a laminated contract to Boba. A laminated contract with Gunthor’s ‘X’ signature on it.

“Here. A deal’s a deal. I am a business man see, root of the community.” Boba lay the contract on Azman’s chest. Boba turned to Gunthor, “You were more hassle then you’re worth, you know that. See you around you dumb lug.” Boba tapped Gunthor on his massive arm in goodbye. Boba and his scrawny underling left to see through the rest of Boba’s Fight Night.

“You’re not dumb,” Azman looked up at the smiling giant. Azman sat up on the floor, still trying to work out his jaw. He took off his boxing gloves, slowly unfastened the straps of his ill-fitted chest protector. The dented baseball helmet, Azman kept wearing.

“This is yours now.” Azman gave Gunthor his contract which bonded the giant for so long. “Maybe it’s time for both of us to go where we ought to be. What do you say Gun?”

Gunthor could only smile and nodded.

Entrance
Temptown, Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 2038 Hours

Azman and Gunthor stood silently for long moments staring at a little girls bicycle with rainbow streamers on its handle bar.

Azman mentality tried the different configuration of how he and the giant could ride off on the little contraption. It was some sort of House Liao riddle Azman knew he could solve. How do you fit two grown man on a little girl’s bicycle?

Maybe if I sit like this….and Gun sit like that….or maybe if I….

Entrance
Temptown, Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 2051 Hours

….Azman and Gunthor stood silently for long moments staring at a little girls bicycle with rainbow streamers on its handle bar.

Suddenly, the silent giant walked up the little bicycle, picked it up under his arm and started to walk.

Azman nodded at the savant’s zen reasoning. Azman still wearing the dented baseball helmet followed. It would probably be a long walk to the Terror’s Dropship but it was one of those nights for a walk, even if it’s in Temptown.

Edited by Nor Azman, 19 October 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#72 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Observation Deck, Terror's Dropship
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 0600 Hours

After the events of the past few days John felt it best to find a quite place and think. The Observation Deck was always one of John's favorite places it offered quite and most of the time a inspiring view. Unfortunately today it offered nothing more then the view of the busy space port. Although not very inspiring the view was still quite entertaining to John as he watched the little people below scurry along there way moving boxes of who knows what across the landing pads. The occasional utility mech would catch John eye he always regarded the things as a waste of material better put to use on the killing fields rather then lugging oversized materials around. The morning sun rising up over the horizon began to blare into the observation deck making it difficult to see much of anything. John sighed and backed away from the view port.

Edited by Durgan Carlyle, 18 October 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#73 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 4:38 Hours

There was silence between them for a while, broken only by the sound of Juri munching on her sugar cookie. Adrianna stared at her own quietly.

“I’m not going to tell Frankfurt,” she said finally, “What you do in your own time is your own business, so I can’t really complain about you being drunk off your a**, and yeah, I guess you pulled out all the stops to make it work last night. If it’s not affecting you adversely most normal days, fine.

“But you need to take a good look at yourself. Does this,” Adrianna gestured at the morphine, the dialysis machine, the bloody kimono, “make soldier a sensible career choice? Do what you like about your own mortality, but out there, in the field, other people’s lives are going to be counting on you. At the least, you should consider turning down Frankfurt’s offer to make you XO.”

Adrianna stood and headed to the door, the bright light from the corridor silhouetting her as she turned back. “And...did you really think rushing directly to Alexi’s aid was the best plan? When you could have just called the police instead?”

#74 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 4:39 Hours

"Not really much of a plan really, but not everything goes according to play, it's often a matter of changing to circumstance. But I am gonna guess then you do not trust me to do my job. That's a shame. Though I will admit I like your honesty Adrianna."

Leaning back, she looked over her white and bloody Kimono. "What do you think makes 'soldier' a sensible choice for anyone? You could farm a field, and make a crops grow and feed family and friends. More people starve to death in the galaxy than get shot, and we've never truely known a way of peace through our lives. So sensible may be the issue. When I signed up, it was for my own reasons. When I left, it was more of the same, but at no point was it because of... this." She gestured to the medical equipment.

"Me telling you why I made this choice is of little consequence, because your mind is already made I guess."

She finished eating the sugar-cookie and licked her finger tips. "How about we discuss you then. Do you think you can run the operation better? Are you believing that you are better suited? If you do, say so. Don't beat around the bush. Hell, it's not like we're clanners, not even sure how a 'circle of equals' or 'trial' would turn out between me and you. Hell, you might win, but if you want it, it's yours, I'll back up your play ever step of the way. It's all for you if you want it, the power, responsibility, the 'glory'. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest."

She took a deep breath, and leaned back looking at the shadows on the ceiling. "But if you have any doubts, if you think that I may be in a better position to serve the group in helping it's success, then maybe you should be asking a different set of questions. Rather, how to back up Frankfurt's play, how to make things work out. We can get this unit to work very smooth, a clean up, everyone gets in and out with a hell of a payday. But if that's going to happen, we've got to lay the ground work here and now, and if it's gonna be a case where you do not trust me to do my job, is it going to turn into complications where I cant trust you do to yours because you are too focused on me?"

With a motion of her hand, Juri placed her hand down on the clean sheets at her bed, and pulled her hand away with a card face-up showing a Queen of Diamonds. "So how do you want to play this Adrianna? You want to be the Queen of Diamonds?"

#75 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 4:40 Hours

Adrianna took a few strides back into the room.

“Glory?” she spat, “You think that’s what this is about? That I’m jealous of you because you get a command? I just want to see this thing done properly. If you think you are the person to do that, fine, go ahead. But don’t s***w this up for everyone else just to prove you’re tough enough.

“If Thom says that you’re to be XO, and you agree, I’ll go with that. I know my place, and my reach. I just wonder whether you do too.”

She took a deep breath and rubbed her temples. “Look, it’s late, or early, or something, and we’re snapping at each other. I’ll let you get some rest and see you in the morning. In spite of what I’ve said, I am glad you’re okay. Get better, Juri. And get some sleep.”

Adrianna walked back to the door and stepped out, leaving Juri in the dark.

#76 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Bridge of the RAIV Myrmidon,
Zenith Jump Point,
Outreach System,
29th February, 3063, 08:00 Hours.

Vantas waited patiently as the bridge's crew went through their preparation for the imminent Jump. He had always found it the most interesting time to watch the crew of a Jumpship, even more than combat. Every role is scripted, practiced and experienced a thousand times...but no one ever broke character. As soon as the ten minute alarm went off, every crew member went to some other place, became some other person. Naval personnel put their game faces on for combat true, a Jump they seemed to deem more serious.
Curious.
Eventually the alarms finished their countdown, the crew having completed their task under Vantas' bemused gaze, and his stomach promptly attempted to fit through at least three times as many dimensions as they were actually passing through. He calmly undid his restraints, floating out of his seat and turning to face Thomas Sukhanov, still clasped into place.
"Jump complete, Captain Strider."
"Thank you Star Commodore Sukhanov. Would you be so kind as to send one of the buses for the Terrors? I am afraid once again I shall have to go vomit."
Sukhanov rolled his eyes. "Aff Captain Strider. I shall have a room cleared for your briefing and all required materials present. If nothing has changed, go void your stomach, Vantas."
"Indeed I shall my friend." Replied the dark skinned Mechwarrior, as he pulled himself one handed across the ceiling, "Fear not, I shall go back to using magboots and traversing in a more dignified manner when I can afford to slow down!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the RAIV Myrmidon,
Deep Space,
30 Ly from Outreach,
29th February, 3063, 09:00 Hours. (changed time, hope you don't mind)

Thom was still feeling the affects of the jump as his Terrors and himself strode into the briefing room of the Myrmidon, but he kept reminding himself that it was his duty to always look in control and level headed in front of his troops and comrades. Something silly like jump sickness was something he couldn't allow to cloud his judgement or be even hinted, after all he was Thom 'Louder than an Atom-bomb' Frankfurt.
Louder than an Atom-bomb... He smiled at the ring to the name as it reminded him of one of his fave Judas Priest songs, Painkiller, which made him reminded him of his Akuma who shared the same name.

Vantas was deep in conversation with Lt. Cotto and the members of TOG lance when Thom's Terrors finally arrived. Waving the mechwarrior still known as 'Bacon' and his lance back to their seats, he beamed broadly at his old friend as he led his warriors into the room. "Welcome Thom, welcome. How do you like our Pintos? I don't think you were ever aboard them, even when Rear Admiral Cochra- You remember Captain Edward Cochrane? He used to command an Invader class for us? We promoted him when we acquired Star Commodore Sukhanov here and put him in charge of Operation Can Town. Which we also finished by the way, so just to knock your socks off, Can Town was-"
Vantas' gleeful diatribe was cut off by Sukhanov clearing his throat loudly. "Captain, might I suggest you do not share secrets of both your unit and my..." He paused for a moment and then shrugged coldly, "Clan to everyone here? Bad enough that you have revealed my origins to these str-arbitrary mercs without further needless slips."
Vantas coughed uncomfortably. "Ha ha, yes, of course. My apologies."
"Damn Strider, you never were good at keeping secrets when you finally get a chance to talk about them." Jeered Cotto, sending a ripple of laughter round the gathered Irregulars Mechwarriors.
"I's was awondering wat evera happen to Ole' Ed. Good guy. As to da Pintos, dey's astill shiny an smell new, I'lls await till afta a couples of battles to ad my's two cents." Thom waved off the Clanners comments and Vantas' apologies. "Yo, we's all friends or at least playing on da same team anow right qui-aff?" Thom butchered the Clan-speak but tried none-the-less, if for no other reason than to relax the Vat-Brat. Thom really wouldn't mind Vantas spilling the beans on everything, which after a few drink he may very well do so... He then chuckled at the open looks of confusion and snickering from the assembled warriors at the confused people, his accent had a way of doing that.
"Quiet my Angels, quiet." Vantas did a 'shoosh' motion with both hands, "We should at least try to appear organized to our honoured guests. My apologies, we need not get into such matters. It would be wiser I think to simply proceed to your mission." He paused, grinning slightly, "My friends, you have joined us for a wonderful opportunity. We will be conducting a raid in strength against Clan Jade Falcon on the planet Waldorff, where we will destroy their reserve naval and ground forces from orbit, deploy to the planet where Angelus Company shall, with the aid of the First and Second companies of the Green Hearts and air cover from the aerospace fighters on the Valorous and Myrmidon, destroy their remaining combat effective ground forces while Thom's Terror's with the Green Hearts Third company raid a former Steel Viper and current Jade Falcon science and manufacturing facility we believe to be focussed on military assets, steal everything of use, and destroy what remains of it before returning to the dropships for pick up." He grinned at the shocked faces of the hired units and deadpan faces of his own Angels, who had known this had been coming for nearly a month. "Questions?"
There was a moment of silence, with troubled expressions scattered across the more unfamiliar faces in the group, though Vantas noticed that Thom looked bizarrely satisfied with the announcement. Before the merc commander could say anything though, several of his warriors broke in with questions.

As the Terrors spouted out rapid fire questions and concerns at Vantas like an ultra classed auto cannon, Thom sat back in his chair with a bemused smile, taking a small knife out of his pocket and proceeded to scrape the dirt out from under his fingernails. The Falcons... a longtime foe who like all the Clans, Thom got a kick out of shooting up. He had a grudge with the Falcons though, they shot his first mech out from underneath him and captured his cousin, Markus. But, from what he heard from some Clan prisioners he talked to over the years, now labored away as a memeber of their technician caste. Perhaps he'd finally get his chance to free him from the talons of Kerensky's children.

"One at a time please!" He called over the voices, "Miss Delfino, you first please my dear."
All business, the slim, raven haired (Pun intended, giggled Vantas to himself) beauty brusquely repeated her question through a frown. "What IP regulations will you have in place to cover the tech we steal?"
The question confused him. "I'm sorry?"
"Intellectual property. I have other clients who would like to get data about how the Clans develop their equipment."
"Oh, salvage rights are as discussed with Thom. Anything on the base is ours, anything you kill and manage to bring out without abandoning anything we need is yours to do with as you please. If you can take it out, you may keep it or sell it as you wish, but I'd be careful about much else or even the sale. If the Falcons, and some of the other clans find out your involvement in this raid, you could get yourself and your corp in trouble."
Adrianna nodded, apparently satisfied. A tall man with brown hair coughed loudly and stood. "Yes Mr. Wheeler?"
Wheeler piped up from the background..
"What kind of opposing forces can we reasonably expect to face? Also, if we get into trouble, what kind of support can we expect?"
Vantas' face grew grim. "Questions I cannot fully answer. We do not have a full strength estimation of the units on planet, but we expect somewhere in the region of a cluster of primarily mech and elemental forces, with possible light warship and aerospace support. For the latter, our warships and their aerospace units, 3 squads of Vulcans and a mixed squadron of Chippewa and Ironside Aerospace fighters should suffice. If they cannot, we will leave without engaging. Once the naval elements have been taken care of and the primary ground base destroyed, the Achille's Pride and Rorke's Drift will detach and burn for the surface. They will set down between the research facility which we have designated 'Ice' and our planned engagement area for Angelus Company, designated 'Samar'. The Rorke's Drift will be able to provide artillery support to one or other zone with it's Long Tom, and in a pinch either company should be able to support the other. Angelus may be able to divert one or both of our Thumper Chameleons, but that will be unlikely. We will have persistent air support from surviving aerospace elements and the Myrmidon and Valorous will be pounding any large ground formations. We are here to destroy the clans and remove their ability to fight back. Put the fear of the Sphere into them, and force them to redirect a great application of troops and material to repair and defend this world against an attack that will never come again. The fact my dear friend Thomas and his fellow Snow Ravens are the ones who require this is simply a delicious irony. It should be mentioned, and I do apologize Star Commodore, that there are two philosophies with the clans. The crusaders, who are the fools who seek to subjugate us, and the Wardens, who are smarter. Do not think I didn't hear that commentary, Mr. Henderson-McCoy. Does that answer your questions suitably, Mr. Wheeler?"
Wheeler muttered something as he sat, but nodded at Vantas. Strider waited for a moment, but when no further comment came, he shook his head slightly and resumed. "I believe there was a comment about bloodnamed warriors?" He saw the troubled spectre of Juri nod emphatically, "This should largely be a reserve cluster, solahma units, but there will inevitably be bloodnames amongst them. Most notably no doubt, their leaders. Nevertheless, there will be some frontline units and advanced machines and weaponry present - whether or not it survives to face us is quite simply another matter entirely. The majority however, should be damaged, disorientated, and equal at best to our own tech if not less advanced. Your C3 network will give you a most decisive edge." He frowned to himself. "I really do need to get those for us. Perhaps with the masters on the dropship or some sort of trailer to save weight on the..." He trailed off. "Sorry, sorry," He said again, to more quiet laughter from the Irregulars. "Any further questions?"
"We just gonna walk off world, Gringo?"
Vantas locked eyes with the surly mechwarrior, speaking slowly as he tried to establish the confusion on possible exit options. "Nooo...you will fly off in the dropship. Just like you did when you left Outreach. Unless you know of some sort of pedestrian accessway back to the 'Sphere?"
"That's fine and dandy, but if things go south and the Mudheads don't just roll over for us when we come'a'knockin...do we have secondary exfil sites?"
Vantas shrugged. "Both dropships should be within reach of both points, if need be, and I do mean critical need, they could redeploy as needed, but we do not plan to do so."
The sharp faced, Mediterranean skinned Captain Packard of the Green Hearts second company stirred in her seat, "Right, so we should be facing a small number of second line troops, who hopefully, if the Spacers do their job...have all been sent to Kingdom Come. However, what out about reinforcements? Surely, the Jade Falcon's will not be relying solely on this one group to protect something valuable of theirs? I don't exactly relish the thought of ending up on the recieving end of a fresh company of clanners."
The short, burly figure of Captain Vasiliev of the 1st's thick slavic accent joined her. "As much as I like a treasure hunt, what exactly are we looking to steal here? I don't really think you send us half away across galaxy only with the hopes of finding something profitable on this planet...no, you know...I think you know percisely what it is you are hoping to find here."
Vantas nodded with a grin. "Actually my dear Captain Packard, that's exactly what they're relying on, and more. This force is a Falcon reaction force. It's supposed to deal with anything that attacks them. But they won't be expecting an attack right on top of them, where they're sitting pretty. So we're going to crush it wholesale. We'll be jumping in at one of three transient pirate points that will take us in about four to twelve hours from the planet. The Falcons, if they scramble any reinforcements will be nearly three days out at a 4G burn, unless they can find a pirate point closer. Even still, we should have at least six hours of safe operations, more likely up to a day. As for what we're here to steal, advanced clan tech. Specifically in terms of things we don't have at least some access to, laser reflective armour and miniaturized clan laser weaponry, as well as a few new omnimech configs and designs. We also believe some of their genetics research may be there, which will be of interest to the biomedical eggheads and whizzkids around the 'Sphere."
Finally Thom broke his silence, fixing Vantas with a fierce gaze as he twiddled with the knife in hand. "Vantas. Dis Falcon unit, dez guys da same ones dat we's a faced off wit back's on Barcelona?"
Vantas felt his voice catch, somewhere in the back of his throat. He knew Thom was thinking of his cousin, whether or not they'd be able to rescue him. "I don't know Thom. They could be. Or they could be any of the groups we fought during the invasion. We don't know. All we know is what the Ravens managed to find out: That there is at least one cluster as a response force there at all times. Who's in the cluster..." He shrugged. "But if we find your cousin is there and-"
Alexi, who had remained silent throughout the briefing and pretty much the entire trip since the 25th, looked around at her fellow Terrors "And what about us? What if we break apart? or get into trouble down there, are we to be left behind as well?" She stiffened he face trying to hold back the tears that came daily since that fate filled night. "I mean lets say one of us falls.." She looked at her sisters and then the others "Do we leave them behind if we are in full retreat with our tails between our legs? Or do we stand and fight to the last? Or Gods forbid sacrifice ourselves to buy one another more time? What's the plan then huh? Do you have a contingency for that? Will there be assets available for a rescue or to clear us an escape path? Or are we too, to become bondsmen of the Falcons?"
She was noticeably shaking now, though rather from worry or hate it was hard to tell. She took a deep breath and exhaled, "And if we do find Uncle there, Paw Paw, What then? Do we risk the mission for him? Or are we going to split and continue the mission while a few of us go after him? Cause I for one don't care about any of it except of course getting back all of our loved ones alive safe. Come HELL or what may if he's there I'll get him for you Paw Paw, I won't abandon anyone that you care for or I care about for that matter!" She stared out across all the gathered faces, though there was a coldness and distance this time, like a blizzard about to break upon the plains, it's cold chill proceeding the coming disaster.
Vantas leaned heavily over the table, arms locked rigidly straight, staring into the glassed steel finish that turned the edge into a mirror. The gathered Angels had gone silent and grim faced, someone drumming their fingers impatiently on the table. "There will be no one taken as bondsman." He spoke into the table. "That is the end of it. This operation holds the fate of this unit and the world it defends and all those we have saved, rescued and taken responsibility for. It is a huge risk, and if the Falcons find out about it then we are right up sh*t creek." There was a sharp intake of breath from the Angels at the curse. Vantas did not swear lightly. "That's why we have the Green Hearts. If someone ejects, the Green Hearts pick them up. If we cannot rescue someone who falls behind..."
He ground his teeth briefly before looking up at the gathered warriors. "Anyone in this room who cannot be rescued, who will fall into the Falcon's talons, will not be allowed to do so. They will be killed, quickly and easily, the second it is clear their fate is unavoidable and never before. We're playing for keeps people. Thom, if Markus is there, we'll get him if it doesn't jeopardize the mission. If it does, I'm sorry but I can't give an answer now. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Dismissed." He shoved himself to his feet, the Angels hurriedly standing to attention and saluting as he stormed from the room.
"Alright Irregulars, briefing's over. Let's go." Cotto's voice boomed hard and clear through the room. Muttering and shooting glances at the Terrors, they filed out, leaving their hires alone.

Edited by RogueSpear, 28 October 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#77 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

Hallway outside
Harlech City,
Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 4:39 Hours

Alexi was wired, worried, and really just couldn't sleep, the Doc had shot down spending anymore time with her and the bridge was cold and lonely. She tried, she honestly tried to go to sleep, both trying her own room, her 'Mech, and even back on the bridge beneath the stars, none of them produced even a hint of a wink or nod.

She had been wondering the ship for hours now, and even noticed the young doctor exiting the opposite section of hall from Juri's room, but she hid not knowing if he'd want to see her again so soon or not. As he passed her on into the 'Mech bay, she slipped past and was hoping maybe that Juri was ok, she'd have asked if not for the sheer embarrassment of earlier. Nearing Juri's room she heard two voices and one seemed a bit louder and upset. Approaching closely she couldn't quite make out the full extent of what was going on, but knew it was bad. Quickly rummaging through her purse she found the small audio enhancer she'd been using to listen in on people's conversations since her teens, a small almost invisible ear piece it could be set to hear conversations across a busy room just by telling it the distance you wanted to pick up the most. She eyeballed it off and continued down the hallway, zeroing in with the app aid of her personal assistant. She listened closely now and caught her soon to be sisters at one another's proverbial throats.

"......people starve to death in the galaxy than get shot, and we've never truely known a way of peace through our lives. So sensible may be the issue. When I signed up, it was for my own reasons. When I left, it was more of the same, but at no point was it because of... this."

"Me telling you why I made this choice is of little consequence, because your mind is already made I guess."

there was a brief pause and crunching "How about we discuss you then. Do you think you can run the operation better? Are you believing that you are better suited? If you do, say so. Don't beat around the bush. Hell, it's not like we're clanners, not even sure how a 'circle of equals' or 'trial' would turn out between me and you. Hell, you might win, but if you want it, it's yours, I'll back up your play ever step of the way. It's all for you if you want it, the power, responsibility, the 'glory'. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest."

a deep breath. "But if you have any doubts, if you think that I may be in a better position to serve the group in helping it's success, then maybe you should be asking a different set of questions. Rather, how to back up Frankfurt's play, how to make things work out. We can get this unit to work very smooth, a clean up, everyone gets in and out with a hell of a payday. But if that's going to happen, we've got to lay the ground work here and now, and if it's gonna be a case where you do not trust me to do my job, is it going to turn into complications where I cant trust you do to yours because you are too focused on me?"

something flickered. "So how do you want to play this Adrianna? You want to be the Queen of Diamonds?"

Tears filled Alexi's eyes as she watched from around the corner as Adrianna took a few step back into the room

“Glory?” she spat, “You think that’s what this is about? That I’m jealous of you because you get a command? I just want to see this thing done properly. If you think you are the person to do that, fine, go ahead. But don’t s***w this up for everyone else just to prove you’re tough enough."

“If Thom says that you’re to be XO, and you agree, I’ll go with that. I know my place, and my reach. I just wonder whether you do too.”

another deep breath yet different “Look, it’s late, or early, or something, and we’re snapping at each other. I’ll let you get some rest and see you in the morning. In spite of what I’ve said, I am glad you’re okay. Get better, Juri. And get some sleep.”

Adrianna walked back to the door and stepped out,

Just as Alexi tucked her head back and ran off tears streaming down her face, to find Father Thom, or someone that would make it all ok...

Edited by Oni Storm, 18 October 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#78 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

ALL HAIL THE POWER OF FIAT!! *STARTS DOING TIMEWARP*

Silver Eagle Memorial
Davion Peace Park
New Avalon
14th February, 3049 10:45 Hrs

"Thom, would you like to have sex?" The young woman's voice slurred through the fog of Thom's drug addled mind, cutting off the goofy giggle on his lips as he leaned heavily up against the granite memorial urinating all over it.Shaking off the last few drops he leaned back to look over the statue dedicated to the Kell Hounds that sacrificed themselves rescuing Melissa Steiner from ISF ninjas shortly before the Fourth Succession War. Weaving drunkenly as he made his way back to the dorky NAIS girl his dorm-mate hooked him up with.

"Uz... yeah's" He giggled drunkenly as he fumbled with the belt of his cadet's uniform, dropping his pants till they were looped around this ankles he fell beside the young coed. Clumsy kissing, fondling, and much awkward teeth mashing ensued, with brief pauses to offer apologies to one another. She began to undress, slowly peeling off the over sized NAIS sweater she was wearing. And as she undressed Thom's eyes devoured the the display of flesh between long pulls off the bottle of black spiced rum they managed to procure. As the top got tossed aside, two perfect orbs of woman flesh sprung out as the Warlockian looked on with a lecherous grin on his face.

Thom's Room
Terror Dropship, Achillies Pride
Harlech City, Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 3:57 Hours

Knock, knock! Someones tapping on the tiny teak panel mounted alongside the hatch to Thom's cabin snapped him out of the dream. Groggrily Thom rolled out of his bunk, knocking the misc junk and nicknacks that cluttered up his room about as he made his way to the hatch. With a tug he threw open the hatch and stared bleary eyed at the man that woke him who stood basking in the hallways harsh light.

"Uhh... Davos? Yeah's wat is it?" Thom pushed strands of mo-hawk out of his face before rubbing his eyes. He knew that none of the Pride's crewmen would wake him unless it was important.

"Thomas, there's a convoy of trucks pulling into the port. You're expecting supplies, yes?" The jumpsuited spacer asked.

"Oh yeah's I'lls abe down in a sec." Nodding the spacer walked off down the hall leaving a mechwarrior standing there looking at his chronometer. It looked like the Quicksell guys were due for a bonus. Something he wasn't expecting, but was pleased with. He did like efficient work.

Terror Dropship, Achillies Pride
Harlech City, Outreach,
25th February, 3063, 9:26 Hours

Wearily Thom looked on as the last of the flatbed trucks emblazoned with Quicksell's corprate logo drove off leaving black tire marks upon the ferrocrete tarmac. Smiling he looked over his shoulder back into the Union's last empty mechbay, which had now been turned into an impromptu storage area and repair facility. Many stacks of armored plates were stacked neatly and orderly arranged by armor type along the bulkhead secured by numerous ties and cargo netting. Many goofy hexagonal metal containers were laid against the interior bulkhead in an odd jigsaw pattern, containing munitions for the various non-energy weapons of the Terror's mechs they were arranged neatly as well, by the Pride's crew who were doing their best to explain the method to their madness to the techs that were willing to accompany the mercs on this op.

Thud, thud, thud. The heavy tread drew Thom's attention away from the mechbay and back to the tarmac as a loadermech stomped back off towards the spaceport proper.

"Don't take our s**t next time, if you need help just ask." The loader jock shouted from the control of the industrial mech, Thom waved him off in inappropriate manner.

"Oh goes an funk yourself!" Thom shouted back before chuckling at the thought of how he borrowed the loader without asking. With a heavy sigh, Thom took a seat in 'his spot,' the place halfway down the ramp where he often came to reflect, meditate, and sometimes, brood. As he sat there looking out over the spaceport he became comfortable and was quickly dozing off.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 24 October 2012 - 07:55 AM.

#79 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Mechbay of the RAIV Myrmidon,
Zenith Jump Point,
Outreach System,
29th February, 3063, 010:00 Hours.

"Jiang Shi... I missed you girl." A lithe hand caressed the old steel of the Stalker's foot. The behemoth of war stood cold and silent among many, each in it's own cubicle-coffin, a place of rest and peace for the mechanical creature.

Juri smiled as she felt the cool metal under her hand, a calming numbness that took away that tight cramping she had been feeling since she came back from the briefing. The Chinese lettering never really offended her own Japanese raising, in fact she found it quite interesting on how the old Terra beliefs had amalgamated into the Combine she knew today. For as much as there was clear differences between the Draconis Combine and the Capellan Confederation, to claim that they were entirely separate considering the strain and mending between ancient Japan and China would be folly. The name of the risen dead from Chinese lore was her own personal stab at that need for separation.

It was a tale she had to learn of her own volition, of how ghosts that were improperly buried would come back to kill and devour the living and their own families. She could not bring the description of the tale as she read it to do it justice, but there was something that amusingly haunted her at the idea.

It was likely she would have the opprotunity to find out for herself. The briefing said not to worry, second rate mechs with second rate pilots. Juri really did not want to question the wisdom of that, more for her own comfort, but there was that nagging part of her mind that would not let it rest.

For the fact that Jiang Shi was an assault-class mech, at one point carrying as many weapons as clans did in their own, her mech was sorely outdated with tech that was nearly a century old. The Stalker was horribly out-gunned, even to the newer toys the rest of recent advances in technology. It really was a ghost from the past, a way of thinking that was out-dated.

Taking hold of a clip-board she was starting to run the checklist as she observed this aging weapon of destruction. It was routine, something to take comfort in. Maybe that unto itself was antiquated, it's how it starts as she continues to go through the paces.

Clan Jade Falcon. They were a living nightmare for Juri, witnessing first hand how the clans had cut a swathe into the Inner Sphere as a whole, reminded her of what the Germans of Terra once called the Lightning War.... There was a word for it... Blitz, something or other.

And then she had to take note of how many of the warriors had such a hard view of the clans, but then were so confident that they were on an equal match. If you learned anything as a mechwarrior early, it was never the machine that was the worry, it was the pilot. Pilots with last names in the clans were rare, but also far more dangerous.

Trying to put it out of her mind, she looked up at the white shade-patterned mech, her ride, Jiang Shi. Soon she would be inside the cockpit of the creature, and rain down devastation that was some days still unfathomable to her. Missiles and Laser fire, enough to level cities and not stop to reload, and it was Juri's finger on the trigger.

Grinning like a fool, she played with the idea of her getting herself a Daishi from the salvage. She loved her big mechs, having trained in a Locust for her early career will do that when you get use to the leg-room and the field of view, you felt like you were a god walking among ants, ready to be blessed or cursed by a whim of a trigger.

Ofcourse, it would not happen, but she never let it get her down. Jiang Shi and Juri had too much history, it would be hard to let her go for anything less though. There was going to be hell if she ever needed to pilot a Locust again, that was for sure.

#80 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Briefing room
On the RAIV Myrmidon,
Deep Space,
30 Ly from Outreach,
29th February, 3063, 09:20 Hours.

"Anyone in this room who cannot be rescued, who will fall into the Falcon's talons, will not be allowed to do so. They will be killed, quickly and easily, the second it is clear their fate is unavoidable and never before. We're playing for keeps people. Thom, if Markus is there, we'll get him if it doesn't jeopardize the mission. If it does, I'm sorry but I can't give an answer now. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Dismissed." He shoved himself to his feet, the Angels hurriedly standing to attention and saluting as he stormed from the room.
"Alright Irregulars, briefing's over. Let's go." Cotto's voice boomed hard and clear through the room. Muttering and shooting glances at the Terrors, they filed out, leaving their hires alone.

Alexi approached Thom and put her hand upon his back sympathetically rubbing it as she whispered her words of comfort and consoling "Don't worry Paw Paw. If he's there we'll find him, and I'll bring him back. Even if I have to cut a path through Falcons or Hearts or whatever. They won't stand a chance against my righteous vengeance, if they dare to put this Angel down." She smiled at him as big as she could, her face a mixture of whimsical with a cold absence of caring in her eyes.

She then turned to the rest of the Terrors, "Umm yeah.. So who wants to give me a ride to one of their nests, huh??" ;)

Edited by Oni Storm, 31 October 2012 - 03:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users