A Mech Warrior MOVIE!

62 replies to this topic

Poll: mech warrior move (315 member(s) have cast votes)

do you think it would be a good idea for a mech warrior movie

1. YES OF COURSE (279 votes [88.57%])

Percentage of vote: 88.57%

2. possibly/meh (29 votes [9.21%])

Percentage of vote: 9.21%

3. NO WAY (7 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 IronLarry

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

What? Robot Jox (1990) didn't count? :)

#22 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationOver there. No. Over there.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostJuiceCaboose, on 20 September 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

Niche market? Dude, everyone loves a movie about giant war machines blowing stuff up. That's like saying the only people interested in seeing Battleship were in the Navy. Done well, this movie would generate just as much income as any other well done SciFi movie. Just don't let the people who did Doom get a hold of it.

This would explain why "Battleship" was a colossal flop. I know-I work for the company that made it. When the CEO says it was a bad idea, warning!
We ARE a niche market. Walk out in the street and ask someone about Mechwarrior or Battletech, and you'll get a blank stare, 9 in 10. Maybe 8.
What SciFi movie, short of Luca's drivel and Avatar/Pochahontas in Space (Seriously, all we needed was a Na'vi rendition of "Just Around the Riverbend" to make it a total ripoff) has actually turned a decent profit AND had an actual...plot?
And don't you dare say "Transformers," because quite frankly, Michael Bay getting his grubby little mitts on ANYthing BT related just makes my teeth itch. It's "Independence Day" without the aliens. All flash, very little substance. Not even some gratuitous T&A can save these stinkers.

Now, I will agree, I positively adore a good knock-down, drag out, explosion filled flick. The more, the better. However, I also demand a comprehensible plot, and some dimension to the characters, especially ones I can relate to. The MW universe has this in spades. Someone mentioned that it would be "Game of Thrones"-like if done correctly. I whole-heartedly agree. However, even though the history/backstory has established depth and, for lack of a better word, tenure, it will always be considered a video game movie to the masses, even though it was around a good deal of time before a video game was even made.

Case in point:

"It is extremely hard for people to make good video game movies."

Like you said, "If done well." This is a major condition here. Unfortunately, Hollywood has degenerated into release after release of remakes/reissues with no end in sight. Now, this alone would make our little corner of the SciFi universe a good place to visit. And previous posts were correct-people will yawn and go, "Oh great-a Transformers rip-off."

I'd love to be wrong. I'd be giddy if I woke up tomorrow and someone told me a script had been written, and production was due to start. I'd see it as many times as my wallet would allow me to...if it were done well.

And that's a big "If."

View PostD4vi5, on 20 September 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

*snicker*
Don't make me hurt you. XD

Edited by Winterknight, 20 September 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#23 MADEVIL

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJust a short drive from Chicago

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Ha, I was waiting for someone to bring up Robot Jox. Battleship was a bad idea from the start, lets make a movie based on a game that has no real story. As far as making a BT movie all the fans would love to see something made from some of the existing stories or novels but knowing how Hollywood is and with the history of other movies they would have to dumb it down and make the movie likeable by the general public who know nothing or very little of BT so they would get it. In doing that the fan of BT would most likely hate the movie the most depending on the story and how well they follow the history or timeline. Like others have said a one made like Ultramarines for the fans could work.

#24 TechNoir

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hmm, never seen it. *googles*

#25 Deathsiege

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBay Area CA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

Remember Robot Jocks? Hollywood ruins everything.

#26 Manjynah

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMount Pleasant MI

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

I don't think they could possibly go wrong if they started out with the clan side first, introducing trials and right's of passage and start with the invasion of the inner sphere. Start with the action to draw the crowd in and then slowly introduce the politics. But the question then would be, where do they stop? How could you? Can't stop, won't stop...

#27 Drakich

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

There are plenty of Battletech Novels out there that could be turned into a movie. The Warrior Trilogy would be awesome.

#28 ShaunBearU

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationChicago (Western Periphery), IL

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

One of the novel series would be perfect. The Warrior Trilogy is too details to cut any out. Blood of Kerensky would be perfect for a trilogy but no less. One movie based on the Jade Phoenix series would be the ultimate movie. The shock and lore would be perfect for someone who has never even heard of Battletech or MechWarrior could be brought into that story.

#29 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

The Hawken guys have a live action trailer out that is similar to what we are talking about here but no where near the quality of acting I am looking for.

I'd prefer a Battlestar Galactica approach with 2 hour premier movie and episodic content after that. Get ZOIC who did the Battlestar VFX for the mech's and then focus solely on story and great characters. Acting needs to be top notch along the lines of Game of Thrones and Battlestar to even get a main stream following. You need Boardwalk Empire ( HBO 1930's Gangster series ) in space basically.

#30 Amerak

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

Mechwarrior could work, you just have to market it right. Honestly I could see a trilogy quite happily following the MW story line. If you look at it like a war movie with Battlemechs rather than a Mechwarrior movie. you'll probably get a better reception. Just have it follow a small group within that war but try not to lose scope of how vast the territories are or the resources at their disposal are.

Here's my thoughts.

Movie 1: Year 3049 - the houses of the Inner Sphere are at war, (insert chosen house to follow here) ********* have a group of mixed range pilots in a lance (commander, vet, x2 greens) and put them in front line danger with harsh missions where 2 main characters die. follow a simple war movie idea where the house holding or liberating territory. end movie with the first distress signals and appearance of the Clans.

Movie 2: Year 3050 - the Clan invasion is in full swing. have our surviving members in a new lance holding out in a no win situation with mercenaries fighting for a paycheck and survival against the Clans. Lance mates and Mercs sent on deep infiltration/sabotage mission in Clan territory. mix things up with Clan Wolf showing a different approach to war than another clan (jade falcon was the main antagonist in the cartoon if I remember). Show brief alliance to overcome a common foe with IS & Clan forces agains a more brutal Clan foe. This is a good opportunity to mix emotions and relations with characters (IS/Clan cross romance perhaps? the first Clan Lone Wolves?)

Movie 3: Year 3052 - Halting of the Clan Invasion - events leading to the battle of Tukayyid, the battle itself and the 'Truce of Tukayyid' that follows. 2 main characters, 1 merc, 1 clan lone wolf, fighting as a lance with the Com Guards. characters break up and go their separate ways there after. (play on relationships of characters) conclude and leave opening for the future.

#31 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

What? Robot Jox (1990) didn't count? :P

security team on route to secure blasphemer!

On a more normal note ..hehe.I think the series could do well as a show like Firefly or something else with all the political intrigue starting say in the 2nd succession war. when it gets big enough..kick in the movies "Clan invasion" then start a new season based on a movie..use the movies to make big time or war jumps in series. Easily get everything on a normal flow. CGI isn't an isssue, writing has more than enough material,. Just get a little imaginative with detail. I'm tired of every video has a pilot waring a very normal ,modern day Helipcoter pilot helmet. get creative design something more futuristic. With everything.

Edited by Blane, 21 September 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#32 PR1VATEER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Well, there is one in the works...sorta. It is not Battletech, but it does have giant robots piloted by humans. It is called Pacific Rim. Hopefully this will pave the way for a true Battletech movie!

http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/

Official Synopsis:
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes—a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)—who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
Director:
Guillermo del Toro

Edited by Pivateer, 21 September 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#33 Arisaema

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostMaffa, on 21 September 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

i was sure i remembered something along the line!

http://youtu.be/wIbux44vmPY

Here's a link to the original website: COMBATANT | hackermovies

#34 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

seems that battletech would be perfect for SyFy or whatever they are calling themselves now.
they got some really stupid movies on there and some good ones.
battletech as a series like gallactica would be great.

#35 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

After reading the thread, I can see both working... IF DONE RIGHT. The way I see it, things can be done one of two ways. We can pull a Lucas and start out in the thick of action, maybe the Clan wars. Do the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, basically. Then go back and do the Warrior Trilogy. Explain some of the important characters, etc.

OR start bare-bones and start with the training wheels on. GDL trilogy. You have roughly a lance of 'Mechs, a mudhole of a planet, and an underdog with a score to settle. Romance, betrayal, suspense, the whole nine yards. This would be more along the lines of the Battlestar series, as mentioned before. Most of the focus is on the characters, their relationships, their flaws, their struggles. BattleMechs are there, but in the background. They're big, looming, and terrifying. But they're not the focus of the story. Just gotta figure out what to replace the Unseens with. >.<

So that's my two cents on a subject that most of you folks have probably already covered. Could work, I'd love to see it work, but it might flop. But I'd be content with anything from Amaris to the end of the FedCom Civil War. After that... eh... I wouldn't mind a BT universe retcon somewhere in there. OR they could just make the ***** a little more believable. I dunno, my knowledge of the ***** is spotty, and I will go ahead and say that apart from a few isolated cases, Dark Age was... not something I'd want put into the mainstream as "Hey, this is what MechWarrior is!"

#36 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

I will say this: movies like Watchmen (and hopefully this new Judge Dredd) prove that a movie can be faithful to the source material and still be economically feasible and entertaining. While I don't expect a Mechwarrior movie, and I'm not even sure it's a good idea, I think a movie made today could very well be better than if it were made in an earlier time.

ED: I think the best place to start would be the end... of the Star League. Begin with Stefan Amaris' coup, and work from there.

Edited by Hayden, 21 September 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#37 Koningswulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 184 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

I would love a mechwarrior movie! :D :wub: :wub: :wub:

#38 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Battletech would be a horror/war movie like the first predator movie or Space Troopers. A Battle Mech is capable of slaughtering all types of units, Buildings, and that would need to be shown during the movie. On top of that skilled mech piloting VS other Mechs would also need to be emphasized on to generate drama and that Jason/Terminator never die's feeling. You would be watching a lot of people die at the hands of your favorite characters. That might actually ruin your perception of them.

#39 1mmortaL

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

It would be great if only James Cameron or another decent director made it
Actually there is a few movies called Robot Jox and Robot Wars: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107979/

Edited by 1mmortaL, 30 October 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#40 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostWANTED, on 21 September 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

The Hawken guys have a live action trailer out that is similar to what we are talking about here but no where near the quality of acting I am looking for.

I'd prefer a Battlestar Galactica approach with 2 hour premier movie and episodic content after that. Get ZOIC who did the Battlestar VFX for the mech's and then focus solely on story and great characters. Acting needs to be top notch along the lines of Game of Thrones and Battlestar to even get a main stream following. You need Boardwalk Empire ( HBO 1930's Gangster series ) in space basically.

Wow... Hawken looks like crap.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users