119 replies to this topic

#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

This thread is here to gather all your questions about Dev Blog 5, specifically related to 'Mech Warfare. Keep your questions clear, well thought out, and well laid out. Also we will answer one question per person, so whatever you ask first is what we'll answer. Answers will be given on Monday the 12th.

So let the questions begin!

#2 HUEY350

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

In this screen shot, Are these mechs in a cave or in the bottom of a canyon? :P :D

Posted Image

Edited by HUEY350, 07 March 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#3 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Edit: Complete do-over

"The gameplay footage showed Mechs operating at peak heat levels for, apparently, long times without catastrophically overheating. Was this an accurate depiction of what we should expect from repeatedly red-lining the heat gauge, was just an artifact of the video editing, or are you still tuning the effects of Heat (or a combination)?"

Edited by Prosperity Park, 09 March 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#4 -Teiwaz-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 202 posts
  • Location43°27'N / 80°30'W

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Will there also be a legs to torso option?

#5 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

Specific to the control interface, what devices other than keyboard and mouse has the game been tested with for program-ability? Can keys be reconfigured in a setup screen for instance.

If not yet, will their be any testing prior to launch and are there or will there be any recommendations on HOTAS and Stick manufacturers?

Thank you,

#6 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

we'll have a medium config based on crysis 1 on ultra?

#7 colodie

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

You mention that ammunition can take damage and explode once the armor is breached.

Will there be similar effects for other equipment, such as your engine shielding being damaged and producing more waste heat as the internal structure in your torso takes damage?

#8 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

So, by reading what the whole blog was about, I noticed that there were no joysticks mentioned in there...

Does this mean that there won't be a joystick option?

EDIT: If we are going to have joysticks, is it at all possible for you guys to recommend what the best one is?

Edited by FACEman Peck, 07 March 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#9 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

You guys (the developers) gave a very detailed and well written breakdown of the features and controls of MW:O. Will there be any (partial or full) control customization allowed, or will there be one standard control system that everyone follows?

ex. if I want my torso twist to be controlled by pressing mouse button 1 and 2 instead of moving my mouse side to side, will I be able to change it?

#10 Krubarax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 329 posts
  • LocationGBG, Sweden

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

I have been pondering this question for some time (since MW3 became MW4 actually)
In theese two games, the Standard Laser and Pulse Laser were depicted very differently.
in MW3, the standard Laser was just a coherent beam, with a very short "charge"
Pulse Lasers OTOH, were coherent beams, which lasted a couple of seconds.

Now in MW4 they made the Pulse Lasers very different. They shot short, "bolt-like" darts, in rapid bursts.
This made me unhappy. Pulse lasers should fire rapid beams, but coherent beams, not small "lightdarts", like Star Wars blasters.
Standard Lasers should probably be more like the Pulse Lasers in MW3, but without the ability, to track the target once you have fired, thus making the beams "slash" across a moving mech,

Now, how will you depict Standard Lasers/Pulse Lasers in MWO?

#11 autogyro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Q: Will we have the ability to modify the HUD colours? If so, how will it affect the damage indicator, which slowly turns to red then turns black. What happens if we want a red HUD?

Q: It is mentioned that you can enable head look mode - how would this mode be controlled? Will TrackIR be supported at some point down the line?

#12 Baphomech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

My question expands on colodie's:

If a 'mech suffers an ammunition explosion that does not result in a mission-kill, will it be possible for the pilot to suffer neural feedback damage? If so, will this be represented by a loss in manuverability and/or visual impairment for the duration of the mission?

#13 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

If I read the blog correctly, pinpoint accuracy will only be possible with a certain amount of time to allow the reticules to catch up. I also presume that movement will shake your aim some, but this is conjecture. However, this also implies that pinpoint accuracy will be possible. What, if any, mechanic will be in place to prevent a large group of single-type weapons from devastating a single location, a problem that has plagued just about every incarnation of MW to date?

#14 LordKelvin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

You mention that pilots will be able to look around inside of their own cockpits using Pilot Look, and that arm-mounted weapons will track with where the pilot is looking. Does this mean that the game will support head-tracking software and accessories like TrackIR, FreeTrack, FaceTrackNoIR, etc.?

You've posted before that this game will fully support joysticks. How will the "Stop 'Mech" key ("X" in the blog post) work alongside joysticks that have throttles?

The blog post says that 'Mech movement can be affected by the environment, such as trees and hills. What about other environmental factors affecting 'Mech performance, such as planet climate (desert worlds or arctic worlds affecting heatsink performance), weather (hail or sandstorms causing jams in ballistic weapons) and gravity (for 'Mechs equipped with jump jets)?

#15 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Missiles are a devastating weapon system, I am curious as how they will be implemented. To keep this short, will there be multiple "mags" or as i would like to see, if you have an lrm20 rack you only have 20 missiles. This opens the question of firing single missiles, or any number desired.

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 07 March 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#16 Kiyoshi Amaya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 366 posts
  • LocationWaiting for PVE Co-op

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostYogSothoth, on 07 March 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

My question expands on colodie's:

If a 'mech suffers an ammunition explosion that does not result in a mission-kill, will it be possible for the pilot to suffer neural feedback damage? If so, will this be represented by a loss in manuverability and/or visual impairment for the duration of the mission?

I understand what you mean, but I think that might be a little too much. Besides, I'd imagine that there are safe-guards to prevent that kind of neural feedback.

#17 Red1769

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

My question expands more on Damon Howe's. Would it be possible to completely change the control system to that of purely keyboard control scheme? Or any other configuration to that extent?

Personally, I've never used the mouse for anything except the mechlab and navigating other menus. The control scheme just seems like you're doing too much with one hand that you could be doing with the other on a keyboard only control scheme. I can see it as maybe the default, but players should be able to customize their control scheme to their liking for a game like this.

Another question, though on the firing controls. Does that mean that you have to select the weapon group before firing it or can you just press the key that fires that group and it'll fire? The target lock and weapon convergence time not-with-standing.

Edited by Red1769, 07 March 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#18 DeM0nFiRe

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hello, I have two questions. Just kidding

As far as fall damage is concerned, will having chicken legs help to lessen the damage you take from falling?

Edited by DeM0nFiRe, 07 March 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#19 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

1) On the RADAR screen in the center it is showing two red dots on the 'mechs opposite flank. Are all RADAR contacts treated the same whether friendly or hostile or will friendly units be a different color.

2) There is a small partially filled in line on the targetting reticule? Is the progress indictator for the "level" of targetting information or some sort of range indicator indicating whether the target is in range of the currently selected weapon? The indicator show about two-thirds of the way filled - so my guess is it a progress indicator.

3) It looks like there are two damage displays, one in the lower left-hand corner and one in the upper right-hand corner? Are both these for your own 'mech or is one of them showing the condition of the targetted 'mech?

4) For pivoting "torso-twists" you indicated this would differ between 'mech chassis. Is pivoting affected by the 'mech chassis design, that is how the chassis is built and depicted graphically or will the ability to pivot be a calculation based upon the 'mechs tonnage or fusion engine rating?

5) The picture shows the pilot looking out a center viewing portal, but there are indications that there are side viewing portals as well. Will a pilot be able to look out these side portals without changing the orientation of the 'mech itself. For example. This 'mech is moving forward and is pivoted to the right. Could the pilot look left to see where the are going without having to torso twist in back in that direction. I can see this being really useful for fighting while moving as you can glance to make sure your direction of movement is not taking you towards an obstacle while maintaining target. If you have to constantly shift back and forth to make sure you path of travel is not obstructed it is going to be very difficult to maintain level 4 targetting while moving.

#20 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Does enemy mech health, represented by a percentage, need to be dropped to zero to kill a mech? Or is it just a number indicating total armor/internal remaining? In other words if I head shot someone, it could kill them with 85% health remaining.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users