• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

FIRST: This is a different storyline from the one in my fan fiction "The Devil's Horsemen (Novel by Chapter)" that I will be posting here as well. That is set in 3047+ and is the background for my character here. The game, as I am a total SUCKER for classic will be set in 3025 and will progress from there.

SECOND: No godmodding or grandstanding if you can help it. This is planned to be the gritty reality of the 31st century and you will be playing guys that are just more cogs in the great gear of life.

THIRD: While there is no requirement for a character sheet that itemizes your character into a list of numerical values, telling you the chance of you completing an action, it also won't be frowned on if you grab a book and let me know a little of what your character is capable of. (I use MW3rd Ed)

To apply, send me a PM with your character concept. I want a person here, not "He is a Mechwarrior with an Atlas". Hopes and fears. Some background on who he or she was before they found themselves on Galatia 3 and what they are looking for. You can have a mech... or a tank or a fighter... or a gun, and a willingness to go to war for that matter. I will be accepting all types of characters, and while I have seen lots flock to mechs, I know that infantry can be a gas too, Cavalry can be deadly as hell, and aerojocks are for keeping the skys clear of the enemy. I will also entertain technicians, marines, dropship and jumpship crews and so on. Gabriel Alexander Dante III is a rich little frak, and he has a lot of posistions that need filling. Come up with a concept, and I will try to make it happen.

People that the unit NEEDS to have to really get going... (I will update this list as people apply.)
  • Gabriel Alexander Dante III, Commanding Officer. Callsign: War [GAD III]
  • Oscar (Susan) Fitzroy; Callsign: Triumph
  • [Rogue Spear], Mechwarrior. Callsign:
  • Katja Theros, Mechwarrior. Callsign: Ghost...?
  • Ivan Wolfman, Mechwarror/Sapper. Callsign: Ghost...?

• Althalus Hepburn, Callsign: Pilot [Rogue Spear]
  • Victory Hepburn, Callsign: Dallas [Oni Storm]

• Janus Exodus, Callsign: Vanguard [Dal10]
  • Michael Graves; Callsign: Puff
  • Nelson Vander Reese; Callsign: Lightbringer (Lord Nelson/Old Man)
SETTING: it is mid May, 3025 and you are on the dusty little rock known as Galatia 3. You are looking for work, and that generally entails looking for others of like mind. With that thought at the forefront, you have gone down to the mercenary hall and started checking the boards. As it turns out, a new unit, 'The Devil's Horsemen' are hiring, and you have added your application to their list. As you wait to be called in to your interview, you head off to the attached bar and grill and sit down for something cold on a scorching hot day and maybe a bite to eat.

I hate to step on it Dal, but for one, the unit is too big for the ship that War has at the moment, but keep the Lemmings on the back burner for later in the game maybe. Also, there isn't enough room for the vehicles.

Notes of Import:
We are a mechwarrior short...
Nelson, you park your mech in the mech repair bays (there are 2)
Puff takes up 2 of the stacked vehicle slots in Bay 11
Vanguard takes up 1 of the stacked vehicle slots in Bay 11
(This means there is 1 Vehicle Slot Left)
The three mechwarriors present use slots 1 - 3
Slot 4 - 8 are empty.
Slot 9 & 10 are the battlemech repair facility GAD III has secured from god knows where and installed in the mech bay of the heavily modified Union Class Ship Red Horse.
Slot 11 is a stacked vehicle bay, using lifts and other such devices to store up to 4 vehicles in a vertical fashion.
Slot 12 is filled with some kind of special mine laying or bombing gear no one has really seen before. Looks Custom that.
Both of the Aerospace slots carry 70 ton experimental LAMs.

Red Horse, is a heavily modified Union Class Ship, painted blood red and black. It has a strange "Bubbled" appearance to the upper decks, and once inside it becomes apparent that there are three new decks added, directly above the Aerospace bays, but before the original decks. They are filled as follows.
Deck 1 (Upper most): This deck contains extended offices, mess halls and lounges for long term travel, as well as GAD III's highly sophisticated Command Center (which at this point is completely sealed).
Deck 2 (Middle Deck): This deck contains 4 new weapons emplacement bays, quarters for extended crew and troops.
Deck 3 (Lower Most): This deck contains extra life support gear, and more quarters for extended crew and troops, mostly used by the technicians aboard, as well as an extensive gym to keep the personnel fit on long excursions.

Edited by Gabriel Alexander Dante III, 10 October 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#2 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Got some ideas for a combat engineer/'Mech tech. Works on rebuilding BattleMechs at base, take's his IndustrialMech out on the battlefield to tear down buildings and chop up salvage. He's been through more than his share of war, and frequently regales his fellow mercs with tall stories of battles he's survived (generally by being at the back and not getting shot at). I'd like to take a modification of the Vampyr IndustrialMech (since that was built in 3066 based on the much earlier SC-V Scavenger) that removes the Industrial TSM and environmental sealing and carries a rock cutter and salvage arm for chopping up fallen machines. If not that, then one of the few Kisos to have survived the Succession Wars (though probably with the command console stripped out, since they're meant to be rare in 3025)

I've got a record sheet made up for the modified Vampyr if you're prepared to let me go ahead with that.

#3 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Alright, Sparks.

Like the concept and I will sign you on as one of the combat engineers and mech technicians of the unit. I have always run that industrial mechs are commonplace in the world. They are only rarely touched on, but that is because they are not front line gear. They have internal combustion engines and are slow and dogged.

I am willing to look at the Vampyr, but I think it would be just as rewarding to build your own design. Make a salvage mech that has an ICE and we can make things happen. Welcome to the crew.

#4 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, the homebrewed, strictly non-canon predecessor to the Vampyr, the Chupacabra! (As designed in Solaris Skunkworks)

Scavenger "Chupacabra" SalvageMech SC-V-a

Mass: 80 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Quad IndustrialMech
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-F-E
Production Year: 3025
Cost: 3,884,840 C-Bills
Battle Value: 632

Chassis: Unknown Industrial
Power Plant: Nissan 320 Fuel Cell Engine
Walking Speed: 43.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.5 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Armor: Humphries Standard Armor
Armament:
1 Rock Cutter
1 Salvage Arm
1 Cargo, Liquid (2.0 tons)
1 Searchlight
1 Radial FlexiSprayer Fluid Suction System, Light
1 Cargo, Standard (6.0 tons)
1 Cargo, Standard (2.0 tons)
1 Fuel Tank
Manufacturer: Bristol SalvageWorks

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Industrial 130 points 16.00
Engine: Fuel-Cell Engine 320 27.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single 1 0.00
Gyro: Standard Gyro 4.00
Cockpit: Industrial 3.00
Actuators: L: H+UL+LL+F R: H+UL+LL+F
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 128 8.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 25 17
Center Torso (rear) 4
L/R Torso 17 15
L/R Torso (rear) 4
L/R Front Leg 17 15
L/R Rear Leg 17 15

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fluid Suction System, Light HD 0 1 0.50
Cargo, Liquid (2.0 tons) RT 0 2 2.00
Searchlight RT 0 1 0.50
Cargo, Standard (2.0 tons) RT 0 2 2.00
Rock Cutter RT - 5 5.00
Salvage Arm LT - 2 3.00
Cargo, Standard (6.0 tons) LT 0 6 6.00
Fuel Tank LT 0 3 3.00
Free Critical Slots: 13

#5 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

WOW... 80 tons... is big for an industrial.

Also, fuel cell engine? Not familiar with that one. Looks like the same weight as the Fusion counterpart though.
Would you be willing to build something unique, and a little smaller? I was thinking of something in the 50ish ton range. As an Industrial in the 3025 era when fusion plants are reserved for battlemechs and more advanced non-fusion systems aren't as available you would be restricted to an ICE engine (2x the mass of a Fusion Bottle). It would probably be one of the ones built in the factories of Archernar. As a thought...

Interesting using the quad design. Much more stable than something like the Woodsman logging mech or the Rockhound Miner.

And while you can certainly have internal cargo space, remember you can also carry mass up to the weight of your mech at half the speed. Lets make something fun!

#6 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

Fuel cell engines combine hydrogen and oxygen from internal fuel cells (hence the name) to form water and electricity. We have the technology now to create them, for example, Honda's FCX Clarity. In BattleTech, they're lighter than an ICE, but heavier than a fusion engine (this one weighs 4.5 tons more than the same rating fusion engine before the 3 ton expanded fuel tank). On top of that, they've got a limited range, approximately 2/3rd the range of an ICE, and a gazillion times less the range of a fusion engine. A lot of civvie equipment in BT uses fuel cells, since fuel is abundant for them and they're still cheap to make and repair.

As for making a unique 'Mech, the "Chupacabra" I designed above is pretty much what I'd want in a salvager. The high tonnage means it can carry hefty things (oh, look, someone left an Awesome lying around without a head. Load it up, boys...), cargo space means it can carry scraps (...and chuck the head in the trunk), the salvage arm left me grab things more delicately than a BattleMech can, and the the rock cutter cuts up scrap parts. The only thing I'm not completely sold on is the liquid storage and suction system; I might drop them for quad MGs, but the potential to spray water (or whatever I'm carrying) on...things...could be interesting.

Or I could scrap it and drive an 80 ton Charger that hauls things back to base by hand and is faster, better armed and better armoured. But not as characterful.

#7 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

I could be interested in playing either a mechwarrior or a fighter jock at GM's discretion. How combat engineery/salvage centric is the unit going to be? Are we all allowed homebrew custom chassis like Spark's, or is he an exception?
Got half a dozen ideas floating around as you can tell xP

#8 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

@ Sparks: Alright, the Chupacabra works. You are right on the salvage thing, heavier is better so I could see them doing that. The lighter was only a suggestion, but I can see why you went the way you did. Thanks for explaining the Fuel Cell thing, and that is legal for use. I vaguely remember mention of it mentioned in a few of the novels, I just can't for the life of me remember which ones.

@ Rogue Spear: Welcome aboard. Either option remains open for now, so take your pick. As we are at tech level 1 for battlemechs (If you are using MW3rd Ed the Inner Sphere is a C and the Periphery is a B on the tech level) I am going to request you grab a chassis from the book, but beyond that you can adjust armor placement, weapons and equipment to your heart's content. Basically a family mech, or one that has come down through the ages and when a weapon or other peice of gear got blown out it was replaced with what was handy... once you start game though, mark what goes in what area (ballistics/energy/missile) as it isn't an omni mech. refitting it with things of different weapon type is going to involve more money than normal as you have to pull the power lines in for energy weapons or run new ammo feeds for missiles or ballistics... Also, if you put something in a location that is a different weight (say you have a LRM10 in one side torso, with the ammo in the center... you change it to a ppc in the side torso) you will have to make a technician battlemech roll (or have a company tech do so for you) with modifiers, or you may unbalance your mech. This wont apply to the initial build (it is assumed that the mech is balanced and runs right when it comes you. Make your choice as to Mechwarrior or Aerospace Pilot and I will pull a slot out of the availables.

[EDIT] Also of note: Combat computers for battlemechs are pretty basic, but you can get specialized upgrades that take a critical slot in the head and weigh .5 or 1 ton, depending on what they do. Long and Short range fire control systems weigh .5, the Long AND Short Range system (you have to switch it manually) weighs 1 ton... there are some others that are explained in one of the rule books... Maximum Tech if memory serves...

Edited by Gabriel Alexander Dante III, 25 September 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#9 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...
I have set up a C3 channel for combat roleplays and personal intros and such. I won't be starting the actual Roleplay thread till we actually have a viable unit of 4 mechwarriors and a couple aerojocks, but I am willing to play out your introductions on a one on one basis.

Link is http://c3links.com/?2auTD10G
for the C3 site so you can get a copy.

I will send invites once people are ready... and I figure it out... lol

Edited by Gabriel Alexander Dante III, 25 September 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#10 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'll play a Vulcan VLC-5N Aerospace fighter if you need pilots, and come up with a mech in the meantime. Though I must confess, I have no idea what the technology ratings are?

#11 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Ok, you've peeked my interest. Especially if I can talk you and Rogue here into allowing something and talk him into playing it with me. How about instead of full blown fighter jocks, LAM pilots. Could we have have two LAM pilots considering it's 3025. And if so could we go upward of say the weight tonnage of the Shadow-hawk LAM for a home-brew prototype of concept LAM that never got full endorsement. I'm picturing nothing larger than 55 tons but able to use parts from say a Phoenix-hawk. Mostly it's wing assembly, or perhaps the wings have to come off actual aerospace fighters. I'd love to come up with something based on the Stingray fighter that actually is a LAM. As for Rogue I'm hoping I can talk him into us both playing Twin LAM jocks, from the family that designed these puppies. Sound good to either or both of you?

#12 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostGabriel Alexander Dante III, on 25 September 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...
I have set up a C3 channel for combat roleplays and personal intros and such. I won't be starting the actual Roleplay thread till we actually have a viable unit of 4 mechwarriors and a couple aerojocks, but I am willing to play out your introductions on a one on one basis.

Link is http://c3links.com/?2auTD10G
for the C3 site so you can get a copy.

I will send invites once people are ready... and I figure it out... lol

Wooo!

Be aware, though, that you're in Alaska, Rogue's in Britain and I'm in Australia. Finding a time to get us all online together could be tricky.

#13 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 25 September 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Wooo!

Be aware, though, that you're in Alaska, Rogue's in Britain and I'm in Australia. Finding a time to get us all online together could be tricky.

True that considering I'm in the US Central Time zone

#14 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

I could be convinced, but I just finished converting a Shootist I'm quite liking, with the goal of supporting Sparks' Chupacabra...
What say we LAMS it Oni :)?

Shootist ST-8A, Hereditary, Modified

Mass: 70 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: D/X-E-D
Production Year: 3025
Cost: 5,861,883 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,169

Chassis: Dennenbach-Mitchell Mark IV
Power Plant: VOX 280 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h
Jump Jets: None
Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Starguard Standard Armor
Armament:
1 Autocannon/10
2 Medium Lasers
1 Mining Drill
1 Machine Gun
2 Lift Hoists
Manufacturer: Mitchell Vehicles
Communications System: Donman Echo II
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

Equipment Type Rating Mass
Internal Structure: Standard 107 points 7.00
Engine: Fusion Engine 280 16.00
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks: Single Heat Sink 11 1.00
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA+LA
Armor: Standard Armor AV - 208 13.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 22 32
Center Torso (rear) 9
L/R Torso 15 22
L/R Torso (rear) 8
L/R Arm 11 22
L/R Leg 15 27

Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
Lift Hoist RT 0 3 3.00
Medium Laser RT 3 1 1.00
Lift Hoist LT 0 3 3.00
Medium Laser LT 3 1 1.00
Machine Gun RA 0 1 0.50
Mining Drill RA - 4 3.00
Autocannon/10 LA 3 7 12.00
@AC/10 (30) LT - 3 3.00
@MG (1/2) (100) RA - 1 0.50
Free Critical Slots: 26

#15 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

LAM out a Shootist? Well you'd have to probably drop those hoists then big-gun :) but if the boss man goes for it, I'm sure we could scare the pants off him and just about anything else.

Edited by Oni Storm, 25 September 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#16 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Oh I know I'd have to loose the hoists, and I was mainly joking.
Then again...

#17 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

I would have to say that if you go LAM on anything, it must abide by the rules of 55 tons max.
Nice mod on the shootist by the way.

I would be willing to allow a heavy mod on the Phoenix Hawk LAM (basic idea is that your family redesigned them around a different weapons package) You need the base chassis of a mech of the era though. I will accept ANYTHING made on or before 3025... with the singular exception of a mech that notes that ALL pilots went with Kerensky. In that case, the mechs went, and have not been seen since. (Yes that means no Atlas 2s)

That said, any way you like, LAM, battlemech or aerospace. Fit the design out.
I use the classic battletech compendium rules, though I need to get a few lists, as I never memorized the engine weights or internal structures. If someone can provide me with weights and calcs for those, I can set up a listing of Tech Level 1 Weapons and Equipment. Will probably post that in 6 to 7 hours. As to extra gear (hoists, manipulators, salvage saws and the like) I don't have the info on them, so if y'all can get me the weights and criticals on them I will edit them into the list as the info comes in. I will also set up Some basic listings for modified construction rules... (like .25 ton increments on armor and munitions and the ability to mount 12 points of armor to the head of your mech and so on) If you want to adjust your mech a little at that point, all good.

#18 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

You should have a look at http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/ which is the program myself and Sparks are using. Even offers the 'Convert to text' option, as shown by us printing it all out :)
Personally, I've never played TT and have no idea how to, but through talking to some of the guys and learning to abuse SSW I'm finding a few things out, but hopefully the RP itself won't be strictly rules based? I'll be utterly out of my element if it is ><

So nothing heavier than 55t? Not even if I say pretty please and use 1.5x the weight of the LAM gear?

#19 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

As at the time there were only a few LAMs ever built, and most had one or more issues in the height of the StarLeague... I am leery of allowing a huge LAM into the feild. I will look over the skunkworks page, and let you know later tonight.

#20 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

SSW won't allow LAM modifications, but Oni has told me MegaMekLab (For the VTT program) does allow it.
Personally I viewed the limit of 55t as 'No one tried to build a bigger one' due to the very small amount actually made, with all being for the SLDF, which required them to fight as a light mech when in Battlemech mode. An independant group like we have planned could do whatever it wanted however, especially as in ~3005 (when development begins in the loose background we have begins) no one is looking for the old SLDF requirements or a LAM at all. Instead they'd be trying to produce a unit that would prove itself as a mover and shaker on the TSW battlefields - a LAM able to fight as a heavy or assault class mech would combine mobility, armour and firepower together on an unprecedented level.
The downside is of course that it is documented that even the lightest of damage can potentially lock a LAM into it's current mode. As a reason for why the designs never spread/get mass produced, the unit never achieves the type of mobility hoped for by the designers, as against even or superior forces, the prototypes had low odds of maintaining their versatility and it was felt they did not meet expectations or hopes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users