So, how many female pilots are out there?

168 replies to this topic

#61 Meneiupptus

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:55 AM

Heh no Worries Kat, and welcome to Mechwarrior Online ;)

Sexist lol... I was fully prepared to show myself off in a bikini as well. I'm all about fairness between the sexes:)

#62 Snowflake Muffin

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • Locationsurrounded by steel, glass, and concrete

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostMorgana, on 11 March 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Greetings Snowflake, pleasure to meet you ;) That makes 6 if I counted right, 6 more and we'd be set up for the 12 vs.12. Would be good to get a few extras, 16 total, for times when some can't make it. No worries, nothing happening yet, just looking ahead at future possibilities. And that's IF they let us play both as a House Member and a Merc. Not so sure about something like that yet. Stay tuned...Posted Image

sorry to disappoint morgana, I'm male, I wanted to take the name snowflake as a way of making me seem that much more harmless. Plus needed to counterbalance of the of the more hardcore names. (ex: XxS1NP3RxX or HITMAN101 or something to do with death and ninjas...etc no offense to anyone who has these kinda names :rolleyes: ) this all really started when I played mechassault 2 way back when (not to say I have not played some of the mechwarriors, which I have, but in essence I tried to take in all the different BT experiences). Basically what happened was when you played on xbox you can have a guest and in the game lobby that is what would pop up. <NAME>'s guest and the general stigma was that if you have a guest on your team then you are going to lose. And so the game host, wanting to win, would force us to go on the other team. Little did they enemy team suspect that my guest was actually just as good as me or any of them if they actually would play as a team. So they would get cocky assuming they had this in the bag and would make rookie mistakes. By the time they realized that me and my guest had excellent cohesion it would be well into the match and they would be raging at each other for letting someone (a guest) who is suppose to be bad and easy beat them. This was an insult to there pride and ultimately they could not come to terms with it leading to there downfall. In summary, do not let pride get in the way of teamwork :ph34r:

So the next best thing would be to using a harmless/rookie sounding call sign. Though after seeing some of the game play videos, I dont think people will be paying attention to the call signs :huh: .

Sorry for the off-topic post, I just thought it was a nice little story about how, even in games, you can use psychological warfare to dishevel your enemies

#63 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

What's up with all the talk about bikinis? Shouldn't that be hula skirt + coconut bra? ;)

View PostXenois Shalashaska, on 11 March 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Perhaps some would create a voting poll in which you select your gender to assess the ratio of gender if we really are interested in female & male pilots.

I'd rather be interested in how many people pick 'other' and mean it.

#64 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

View PostMorgana, on 11 March 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Gosh I wish I could put up pics. I actually dug out my 800Mhz desktop out of the closet and tried to fire it up this weekend, in hopes to get to a crap load of files, screenshots, rosters, rules, and league web design, etc, but didn't have any luck. Not sure if the tower is shot or the monitor. But all I get is black screen. And of course the graphic cards didn't support digital, so trying one of the flat screen digitals was out of the question. (I am sooooo bummed, cause I really wanted access to the old stuff!)

Can you pull out the hard drive and put it in another desktop? I have been doing that for years. Family comps always die.

#65 Chromoid

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

I don't care what gender my fellow pilots are, as long as they know how to kick *** and take names.

#66 Cody Machado

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 58 posts
  • Locationnomad

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:00 AM

View PostMeneiupptus, on 11 March 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

Pics or it didn't happen... preferably with bikinis :D

Dont forget time stamp.

#67 Vergial

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

LolCody.

Back on topic, if you are good then that will be all that matters to me. Female or male, does not make a difference. Anyone willing to step into that cockpit and fight it out amongst the best deserves a fair spot in the glory.

With this in mind, stay out of my crosshairs and you may get to SEE that glory. :D

#68 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

me love will be in this game i expect every one to treat her with reaspect heres a pic of us
Posted Image

#69 Tabrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 210 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Friendzone

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

....why does gender even matter in a video game?

#70 VoltAngel

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Female pilot here I've played all the MechWarrior games except this one...yet I guess I will have to wait for the public beta to come out, but I didn't realise there were this many female pilots for MechWarrior.

#71 Tabrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 210 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Friendzone

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

On the internet men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

#72 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

In that case... there has been way too many children hitting up on the forum... I wonder why.

#73 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

You know I was just thinking about this the other day. In the past MW games I've played, the rate of harassment and sexism has always been lowered compared to gaming at large. In Battletech we're just MechWarriors.

If anyone assumes I'm a helpless female then it works to my advantage if they're on the other team. If they're on my own, it simply makes my attempt at having fun on a game turn into having to deal with a creep and probably losing the match because the creep would rather be a troll than play.

#74 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

View Postbawchicawawa, on 11 March 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

All across the internet, if a women shows up, every boy flocks to her side and flirts while using an over abundance of smiley faces.

Says the guy with the adult movie action soundtrack name.

View PostTifalia, on 12 March 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Never in my time online have I ever had that happen.

^_^ ;) :D :o :lol: :rolleyes: :wub:
Hey there, sweet thing...

Edited by Suicidal Idiot, 12 August 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#75 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Oh the sick irony humanity!

#76 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostJP Josh, on 12 August 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

me love will be in this game i expect every one to treat her with reaspect heres a pic of us

Let's hear it for high expectations!

Of course, she looks short, so there's less round trip time for signals from brain to hands on controls. And female, so her reaction time is just that much faster.

And wears glasses, so probably reads a lot. So she'll study up on the very simple MWO system.

Also being female, she has a 95% chance of seeing color better than you. So she'll spot hidden mechs faster. As well as distinguish them quicker in crappy weather on the maps.

Judging by the smile and the way she leans into you while clutching her clothes, she's shy, and probably more a stay at home and play video games type than a jock type.

She is SO going to kick your tail back to the dropship.

Edited by Suicidal Idiot, 12 August 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#77 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostTabrin, on 12 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

....why does gender even matter in a video game?

Because it's a group video game, with communication. And if there's communication, gender makes a bit of difference. Just as a quick example, if we were playing Halo and somebody were to teabag you, it would be even ruder than normal. And quite possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.

It would certainly be grounds for sexual harassment if it were on a workplace lan party during a break. Technically it would be the same for guy on guy, but in reality, nothing would happen.

More to the current circumstances, I would talk to you differently than I would a guy over teamspeak. The genders are different, and there are always the dominance/violence subconscious issues to deal with. I would use colorful language at a male teammate for PPC'ing me in the back accidentally. If I knew it was a female, I'd be much more gentle, and probably just say "ouch, please be more careful", because girl's skulls are somewhat less thick, and don't have to be whacked as hard to get a point across in an adrenaline fog.

Males and females are different, and ignoring that is perilous and can cause deeply hurt feelings.

Edited by Suicidal Idiot, 12 August 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#78 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

I believe the people that think women are easy prey are the same that think I'm easy prey only because I like My Little Pony...
Let's just say, they usually learn the hard way...

#79 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostSuicidal *****, on 12 August 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

Because it's a group video game, with communication. And if there's communication, gender makes a bit of difference. Just as a quick example, if we were playing Halo and somebody were to teabag you, it would be even ruder than normal. And quite possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.

It would certainly be grounds for sexual harassment if it were on a workplace lan party during a break. Technically it would be the same for guy on guy, but in reality, nothing would happen.

More to the current circumstances, I would talk to you differently than I would a guy over teamspeak. The genders are different, and there are always the dominance/violence subconscious issues to deal with. I would use colorful language at a male teammate for PPC'ing me in the back accidentally. If I knew it was a female, I'd be much more gentle, and probably just say "ouch, please be more careful", because girl's skulls are somewhat less thick, and don't have to be whacked as hard to get a point across in an adrenaline fog.

Males and females are different, and ignoring that is perilous and can cause deeply hurt feelings.

If one of my guys friends PPC'ed me in the back I'd say, "Watch it you ******* ******" and proceed to laugh at him. If I accidentally fragged one of my friends in a fight I'd expect to hear, "God! You *****! More dangerous than the ******* enemy team!"

We'd laugh it off and keep playing. If I'm with strangers I try to be polite and if a stranger is going to be a complete jerk, then I generally assume they are wound up too tight and probably need a shower, some sunshine and a nap. That or they hate the fact they were born.

Behavioral protocol should be the same across the board. We should all be courteous to one another and historically, MechWarrior has been a game where each team has wished the other side luck. At least it was back in MW3.

Special considerations? I make special considerations for my guy friends all the time. I know that we both have adrenaline pumping, but that their testosterone is in overdrive and they don't always think clearly. I know they tend to be coarse and disgusting when they're comfortable around a female friend because they start to think of her as "one of us". Their egos are bruised when we suffer a losing streak and I try my best to encourage them so they don't want to quit playing and go brood. I know my guys have just as many insecurities and self-confidence issues as I do, even if they'd never admit it.

Overall though I think personality is the key to how you treat other people. Treat them as they want to be treated. Regardless of gender or any other label.

#80 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostSmooch, on 11 March 2012 - 12:02 PM, said:

And did you have a hard time proving it? I was so well trained back in the day that everyone thought I was a guy! Posted Image Till I showed up at GenCon hehe. Good times.

About fourty seven and a half exactly.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users