114 replies to this topic

#21 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostMechTinker, on 01 October 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Wow, that additional curviness is hot. The cockpit would have great visibility too.

I did want to increase the visibility with the new design I even considered adding windows on the bottom similar to helicopters.

View PostShatsbasoon, on 01 October 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

I'm going to just come out and say it; Given that the Mad Cat is probably the most iconic of 'mechs in the Battletech (heck the icons for MW 2, 3, and (kinda) 4 used it) I think it should be left alone. I'm not totally against redesigns, I actually liked the MW 4 Vulture, but I think that the Mad Cat should retain its "classic" form.

Addendum: At minimum the arms need to be more Marauder-like as that's where the Inner Sphere partially originated from.

I'm not planning on keeping the arm design from the sketch, they are next on the list to be reworked.

View PostVanguard319, on 01 October 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

The revision of your original design is better, but it still feels like a catapult that someone added arms to. Maybe make the arms more slender, and move the box launchers back some. The feet feel awfully small as well

I'll try moving back the launchers and I agree the feet are too small. I will probably lengthen the arms a bit and as said above they will be redone.

Thanks for all the input. It's good to get feedback by more knowledgeable Battletech fans then me. I'm sorry to say I can't please everyone, but I do consider all your comments and critiques so I hope you'll stick with it to the end.

#22 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Awesome stuff so far, looking forward to seeing more!

#23 Syric Malvayis

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Ya know ....opinions are a dime a dozen, or like a ...well, everyone has one, but my two cents?

I like your redesign concept. While I LOVE the original, your redesign concept has a lil' bit more ....defensive feel to it, which the Timberwolf was lacking before with its open arm/leg design. In short, by pulling the legs inward, and bringing the arms in vs. out ....it makes for a more compact, but deadly, mech. Whereas, in contrast, the original design's arms/legs make for tempting targets to blow off. Then again, I suppose some could argue you'd have to target just right to hit those sweet spots, but given the weapon array a lot of veterans tend to go with, I'd be more apt to go for your concept before the original.

Good job! Keep the creativity flowing man! :P

Edited by Syric Malvayis, 01 October 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#24 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

i love it. i allways hate the way the Mad Cat look the arms look like it can be shot off easy and just look stupid. but your rework looks sweet

maby the devs can add this in as a skin to buy for it ?

Edited by Iron Riding Cowboy, 01 October 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#25 Pisces Proxima

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostApocalips07, on 29 September 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

Just a sketch right now though I plan to bring into Photoshop to color and continue to refine the design. C&C appreciated, and updates to follow.

Posted Image

Are you sure you aren't making the MWO Rakshasa?

#26 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

If he was making the MW:O Rakshasa I'd pilot that in a heartbeat. :)

#27 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image
So I moved the legs and arm guns down lengthening the arms and adding height to the mech. The feet are still too small for my liking and will be eventually scaled up.

Next order of business I want to know your thoughts on covers for the LRMs. I know the MW:O Cat has them, but I honestly haven't seen any images of Timberwolves sporting them. And if you have any cool ideas where they should open sideways instead of up or something let me know.

Finally I'm almost to the point where I get to start adding color so give me some ideas for paint jobs or emblems to put on. Otherwise I will probably default to a grey urban camo look. and I will have a plain version for those who want to try their hand at their own paint job.

You guys have been great please continue with the feedback.

Edited by Apocalips07, 24 October 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#28 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostPices, on 02 October 2012 - 03:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

Are you sure you aren't making the MWO Rakshasa?

I had to look this mech up, but I'm going to keep my original sketch to work on this as another project. It looks like I really just have to shrink the LRM 20s to LRM 10s.

#29 OverTrue

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationIce Station Zebra

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

ld be awesome if the mad cat had louvers over each row of missilles that opened horizontaly. Like the windscreen blast shields on the us armys MLRS.

#30 Teardonia Pain

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 30 posts
  • Locationtexas

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

The vulture clan name was the mad dog if I remeber right.

Edited by Teardonia Pain, 03 October 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#31 1stBEAST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hey there.
is it possible for you to do da Ortho(3side view) without Coloring of the finsihed design, like this one?
http://mwomercs.com/...-catapult-ortho

Design looks great so far.

EDIT: i think it would be better if the Arms look more like Pods(because of the omnipods used on OmniMechs)
maybe something in this shape http://www.gosugamer.../GuassRifle.jpg

Edited by 1stBEAST, 03 October 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#32 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Like the design. Do hope however they'll stick to the original designs with the clan machines.

#33 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

View Post1stBEAST, on 03 October 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Hey there.
is it possible for you to do da Ortho(3side view) without Coloring of the finsihed design, like this one?
http://mwomercs.com/...-catapult-ortho

Design looks great so far.

EDIT: i think it would be better if the Arms look more like Pods(because of the omnipods used on OmniMechs)
maybe something in this shape http://www.gosugamer.../GuassRifle.jpg

I will try to get an ortho but I'm a little pressed for time so for now I'm focusing on the main picture.

#34 1stBEAST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Great the Ortho will help in Creating a 3d Model an to do a Sculpt(maybe)

have you thought about the arm design? to do it more "pod-like"?

Edited by 1stBEAST, 08 October 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#35 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

View Post1stBEAST, on 08 October 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Great the Ortho will help in Creating a 3d Model an to do a Sculpt(maybe)

have you thought about the arm design? to do it more "pod-like"?

I have thought about the guns on the arms. While I like the look of the current ones I realize the pod design would make more sense. I will probably end up redoing them and make the upper guns smaller to look more like large lasers instead of PPCs. I will try to get the ortho out as soon as possible so you can start your 3D model I'm excited to see what you can do with it.

#36 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Started work on painting. Not sure if I will keep it the grey I want to get all the shadows in first.Posted ImagePosted ImageI have also started work on an ortho for this as well.

Edited by Apocalips07, 24 October 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#37 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Brilliant work.

#38 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

I like the OP's pic much better than the Madcat; i never liked its arms.
I always liked the Vulture more :D

#39 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

I gotta say good talent. I too like the original Timberwolf and would like to see MWO stick with it. However I would like to suggest why not make it an all new Mech with its on specs. and history. Maybe I'm a little ignorant about BT history but it seems all the Mechs had to come from somebodies imagination somewhere. Or even the possibility of claiming lost Tech.

This thing to me looks like a cross between MWO Catapault and last seen design of a Cougar. Maybe now, we have here a "Catagar".
By appearnce this thing is my top 10 or maybe even 5, and I would love to take it for a stroll.

Can't wait to see the finished work. You have inspired me to even think about pulling my own talents off the shelf to try and dust out.

Edited by BLUPRNT, 10 October 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#40 NikkoKilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

This is very cool =]

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users