Timberwolf/Madcat redesign wip

114 replies to this topic

#61 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Posted Image
To me , yours looks more like a redesigned Marauder II-C (reseen) with missile launchers.

Posted Image

I applaud the effort though.

#62 BLACKFIRE

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

you have some skills there but I have to say the new design looks smooshed. Like someone took the MW4 Madcat MK2 and smashed it. The I think you need to get those arms out of there a bit and the rockets up higher maybe? the red redesign is looking better but I still get the idea its a lighter stubby medium version of the Timberwolf for MWO.

#63 The Raptor

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBetelgeuse State Prison - Maximum Security Wing

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Hmm.... :)

After careful consideration... I think you should be the 'Mech designer around here. It's awesome, I mean there's a bit and a bob here and there that I'd do differently (If I had even remotely this level of skill) but apart from that it's awesome! :) :)

#64 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 15 October 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

The perspective lines on your LRM launchers is WAY off. You have good lines everywhere else, but what you've done with the LRMs just ruins the image. Look at how well the arm and the weapon cowling fit into the angle of the 'mech and the scene itself.

I'm guessing you tried to do a copy/past and it didn't work.

-edit-
Sorry if this seems a bit harsh.

No not harsh at all. Have to know how to take criticism. I agree with you the lines on the LRMs are bad at least the left one (from viewers perspective) looks wrong. It was a quick copy past job and thankfully everything is on separate layers. thanks for the critique.

View PostNARCoMAN, on 15 October 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Posted Image
To me , yours looks more like a redesigned Marauder II-C (reseen) with missile launchers.

Posted Image

I applaud the effort though.

I can see where you are coming from the cockpit on the marauder does look similar. maybe I'll have to do some more sketches for these other mechs and if I have time give them the same Photoshop treatment. that is unless I get sick of the LRMs looking wrong and rip 'em of in favor of an AC/20. :)

View PostBlackBaron, on 15 October 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I think the latest iterations with the curved lines look fantastic, though i can't say i like the 'pod' look on the guns. Personal preference though.

I don't like the pod weapons either. I like how they look, but they don't feel right on the mech right now, maybe a different mech but as they are right now they feel like they are missing something.

Edited by Apocalips07, 15 October 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#65 1stBEAST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

yeah the LRM´s are a bit of. but the arm pods are looking promising

#66 Fotracul

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

sorry but this is how a timberwolf should look like once clans are available!
Posted Image

#67 1stBEAST

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

holy cow! just stopp ******** around about the redesign. there were enough posts like "it should look like the old one"
as i posted before i didn´t think that PGI will stay put to the original design. because it doesn´t fit in the new "enviroment" it will not look "superior" to the redesigned IS mechs if they stick to the design from 20 years ago or so.

don´t get me wrong. i´m also a timberwolf lover and i felt in love with the old design, too
But i´m looking forward to any redesign of my/our all time favorite

just my 2 cent´s

sry if i sounded a bit harsh

#68 Krivvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

I for one was not a fan of the "boxy" centre torso behind the cockpit of the Timberwolf. I like what OP did with that part. The way the arms looked was always a bit odd to me too, but I think OP made them a bit too IS like in that regard.

I've always preferred the design of the Vulture over the Mad Cat.

Edited by Krivvan, 16 October 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#69 c7neo

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

View Postkracked49, on 29 September 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

The second design shown in wireframe was not a Timberwolf. I don't remember it's clan name but the Inner Sphere called it a Vulture. The Timberwolf is a 75 ton omnimech and the Vulture is a 60 ton omnimech. ;)

Timber Wolf = Madcat
Mad Dog = Vulture
Dire Wolf = Daishi

#70 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

Hmmm.......

It looks like a cross between a Catapult (as it should) and a Clan COUGAR battlemech (which it should not).

Not sure 100% what elements are bugging me, but I generally agree with the masses, that the Original designs were very very good, though the one area that needs serious addressing would be the upper arms (a major point of contention with every Marauder redesign, my own included, too).

I think MW:O Largely nailed it with the Summoner, HellBringer and MadDog.
Summoner
http://th09.devianta...Walter_NEST.jpg
HellBringer
http://fc03.devianta...Walter_NEST.jpg
MadDog
http://img380.images...turelakeyw3.jpg

all of which are nearly perfect "believable" renderings, IMO.

I am hoping they use those as the basis, and follow similar lines for the TimberWolf (Which looked clumsy in every video game so far)

#71 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

if a mech has a blueprint we have to follow the blueprint.

mechs without blueprints then you can all decide and improve the design.

most clan mechs(at least the 3050 ones) have blueprints.

Edited by zer0imh, 16 October 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#72 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Unless the Blueprint makes no sense?

Cuz the Atlas, and many other designs, actually had Blueprints too. (Though lots-o-luck finding em)

Just curious zer0imh.... when you say "WE have to follow the blueprint", did ya forget to put on your PGI Dev tag today? Cuz I sure don't go out of my way to speak for them. And since the minds that created Battletech are Developing/Consulting this all the way, I think "they" can do it however they please.

If they go picture perfect, I am fine with that. If they choose to correct certain egregious design elements (spindly arms that snap with a single shot, really bad thunderthighs on the Summoner and Hellbringer, etc), I am cool with that too. Since most of us won't be piloting them for a very very long time, I suppose, being concerned about how they look when they are roflstomping us IS a concern, lol.
I hate getting killed by ugly mechs!

#73 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 October 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

Hmmm.......

It looks like a cross between a Catapult (as it should) and a Clan COUGAR battlemech (which it should not).

Not sure 100% what elements are bugging me, but I generally agree with the masses, that the Original designs were very very good, though the one area that needs serious addressing would be the upper arms (a major point of contention with every Marauder redesign, my own included, too).

I think MW:O Largely nailed it with the Summoner, HellBringer and MadDog.
Summoner
http://th09.devianta...Walter_NEST.jpg
HellBringer
http://fc03.devianta...Walter_NEST.jpg
MadDog
http://img380.images...turelakeyw3.jpg

all of which are nearly perfect "believable" renderings, IMO.

I am hoping they use those as the basis, and follow similar lines for the TimberWolf (Which looked clumsy in every video game so far)

I'm a huge fan of your work Bishop so your coments are really appreciated. however minor correction the HellBringer and the MadDog (not sure about the summoner) are renders from Mechwarrior: Living Legends though I agree with the same points you made about their designs.

View Postzer0imh, on 16 October 2012 - 06:55 AM, said:

if a mech has a blueprint we have to follow the blueprint.

mechs without blueprints then you can all decide and improve the design.

most clan mechs(at least the 3050 ones) have blueprints.

zer0inh, I respect your opinion that the original blueprint designs are superior however your arguments are simply your opinion and are not backed up with factual evidence. If you can come up with factual evidence about the design elements on the original Timberwolf and how they are superior to the one I am designing I may be more inclined to heed you comments. I however can prove that angular armor is more protective than vertical armor because at an angle it is thicker and can reflect projectiles more easily, thus rendering the original boxy torso obsolete.

Other than that feel free to post more cool Mad Cat pictures for the rest of us to enjoy.

#74 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

OP artwork looks kinda like a MadCat MkIII tbh

View PostApocalips07, on 29 September 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mwhighlander, 17 October 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#75 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hmm, this seems to ressemble something I made in my spare time with Gimp.

Posted Image

#76 Atlessa

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 October 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

View PostApocalips07, on 17 October 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

I'm a huge fan of your work Bishop so your coments are really appreciated. however minor correction the HellBringer and the MadDog (not sure about the summoner) are renders from Mechwarrior: Living Legends though I agree with the same points you made about their designs.

Nope, not a single one of those reneder is of "Living Legends" origin.
Going by the looks I'd say those are the MW4 models re-rendered, but I'm not 100% on that.

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostApocalips07, on 17 October 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

zer0inh, I respect your opinion that the original blueprint designs are superior however your arguments are simply your opinion and are not backed up with factual evidence. If you can come up with factual evidence about the design elements on the original Timberwolf and how they are superior to the one I am designing I may be more inclined to heed you comments. I however can prove that angular armor is more protective than vertical armor because at an angle it is thicker and can reflect projectiles more easily, thus rendering the original boxy torso obsolete.

Other than that feel free to post more cool Mad Cat pictures for the rest of us to enjoy.

I am definitely enjoying the evolution of your design, and think you have a lot of talent. I do think that much like my attempts with the Marauder, any attempts with the Madcat are going to get a lot of resistance, most of it fromt eh knee jerk "OMG THE ORIGINAL WAS THE HOLY GRAIL OF MECHS!" crowd. And I admit, I would not even have touched the Marauder or Warhammer, except.... there is exactly ZERO chance of the "originals" ever seeing the light of day in Battletech/Mechwarrior again.

I haven't touched the big 4 of Omnimechs because, well, they are available. I don't agree with the "perfection" crowd, but they will be tough to improve, though I do expect to see some sort of "modernization" which the MW4 version of all but the MadCat did rather well (IMO greatly improving the originals). I think that the MadCat will be tough. The biggest issue (much like the Marauder) is any attempt to make the upper arms remotely plausible, really alters the look of the whole mech, and throws everything off. (Yet when dealing with the non-fluff lovers, they complained because of the spindly arms, you pretty much can't win, lol).

That said, you gotta roll with your own vision, and at worst, call it a new design. I have a few that has happened too, that is for sure. Keep trucking, and I really can't wait to see whee you take it from here.

Also, if those are "Living Legends" renders, then they took them essentially unaltered from Mechwarrior 4. Trust me, I am looking at the mech lab on my desktop form it as we speak.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 October 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#78 Legionn

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostBFett, on 17 October 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Hmm, this seems to ressemble something I made in my spare time with Gimp.

Posted Image

This made me laugh. Will have to save this pic and compare it to whatever they release for the official Madcat.

#79 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 October 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

I am definitely enjoying the evolution of your design, and think you have a lot of talent. I do think that much like my attempts with the Marauder, any attempts with the Madcat are going to get a lot of resistance, most of it fromt eh knee jerk "OMG THE ORIGINAL WAS THE HOLY GRAIL OF MECHS!" crowd. And I admit, I would not even have touched the Marauder or Warhammer, except.... there is exactly ZERO chance of the "originals" ever seeing the light of day in Battletech/Mechwarrior again.

I haven't touched the big 4 of Omnimechs because, well, they are available. I don't agree with the "perfection" crowd, but they will be tough to improve, though I do expect to see some sort of "modernization" which the MW4 version of all but the MadCat did rather well (IMO greatly improving the originals). I think that the MadCat will be tough. The biggest issue (much like the Marauder) is any attempt to make the upper arms remotely plausible, really alters the look of the whole mech, and throws everything off. (Yet when dealing with the non-fluff lovers, they complained because of the spindly arms, you pretty much can't win, lol).

That said, you gotta roll with your own vision, and at worst, call it a new design. I have a few that has happened too, that is for sure. Keep trucking, and I really can't wait to see whee you take it from here.

Also, if those are "Living Legends" renders, then they took them essentially unaltered from Mechwarrior 4. Trust me, I am looking at the mech lab on my desktop form it as we speak.

I'm this far into it I might as well finish it and if all else fails it could just end up a Mad Cat Mk IV.

Here's the MW:LL Mad Dag I was reminded of from your post. http://media.desura..../8528/67764.jpg From the looks of it the just updated the Mechwarrior 4 model.

#80 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Posted ImageNot much new this time, just tweaked the LRM a little not quite perfect but it's looking better. and did a new omni pod weapon design that I think fits the mech better than the last one. I don't know if I'll keep the black paint, but it's easy to change. I'm still tossing around ideas for the final paint job.

Edited by Apocalips07, 24 October 2012 - 07:55 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users