Any old Battletech MUD players out there?

125 replies to this topic

#61 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationMWO is still incomplete, after YEARS!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:18 AM

All you old MU*ers (BTech MUSEs and MUXes), come on over to the MUX website and say hi! Even if you don't join, you're sure to see some names you recognize from back in the day.

Link To MUX Website

Laters!

-Irish

#62 sheol ghazi

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

FEAR

I can't even remember how many hours I wasted just waiting for stuff to happen on 3034 and 3056.

Which one was the MUSE that had all the quick games where most of us were in a Panther (PNT? PTR?) with a PPC and it was BOG this and NOG that in the chat constantly?

House Kurita in 3034. Who here was part of that giant standoff with Davion? that had like 50+ mechs on either side and no one wanted to fully engage?

Clan Steel Viper on 3056. I'm still pissed at Clan Wolf for stabbing us and CJF in the back.

Good times.

#63 Chronomancer

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I am an old time Mu* player. WEnt by the names of Darkwind(dw) and John Crawford(jc)

#64 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostChronomancer, on 21 August 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

I am an old time Mu* player. WEnt by the names of Darkwind(dw) and John Crawford(jc)

Recon pilot with lots of late night map runs?

The name sounds VERY familiar. :)

-Irish

Link to website for former MUSE and MUX players

#65 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Clan Wolf on 3056

Star Colonel Corwin Vickers, 4th Wolf Guards Striker Cluster, Alpha Galaxy (listed in the 3056 CW Manual but not mentioned later)

I believe I was assigned a Pouncer-P. Basically a Star Adder/Puma with jump jets.

Nothing gets your blood pumping like real death Trials of Position or Bloodname. I killed a few players and luckily never died. I was able to earn my rank and blood name in trials against other players. I haven't found a game where you had so much riding on a battle. Nothing compares to it to date.

And of course real space X,Y,Z to 3 decimal places in your head with 200 players on the field was something that isn't even attempted by the graphnical Btech games since.

As some other people have mentioned we were always getting ready for the big battles but they rarely happened. Most of our fighting was sim time. I do seem to remember fighting the battle of Tukayyid but I also think it crashed a few times and I don't remember a real conclusion.

I also did a little world building. Reminded me of Zork.

I dabbled on the money based sim one. Was that 3025 or Solaris? But really my love was 3056. I think I was active 1993-1995 or so? I think someone else mentioned that they played as Clan Wolf. Would be cool to see if anyone else from CW 3056 was looking to play this game.

I started with either the first Mechwarrior video game on a mac (green wire frame) or the table top, I forget which I played first. Played everything since. A friend's family published the Battletech magazine. I forget what it was called.

There is something special about Battletech.

#66 GoGo Yubari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 21 August 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Clan Wolf on 3056

Star Colonel Corwin Vickers, 4th Wolf Guards Striker Cluster, Alpha Galaxy (listed in the 3056 CW Manual but not mentioned later)

I believe I was assigned a Pouncer-P. Basically a Star Adder/Puma with jump jets.

Nothing gets your blood pumping like real death Trials of Position or Bloodname. I killed a few players and luckily never died. I was able to earn my rank and blood name in trials against other players. I haven't found a game where you had so much riding on a battle. Nothing compares to it to date.

And of course real space X,Y,Z to 3 decimal places in your head with 200 players on the field was something that isn't even attempted by the graphnical Btech games since.

As some other people have mentioned we were always getting ready for the big battles but they rarely happened. Most of our fighting was sim time. I do seem to remember fighting the battle of Tukayyid but I also think it crashed a few times and I don't remember a real conclusion.

I also did a little world building. Reminded me of Zork.

I dabbled on the money based sim one. Was that 3025 or Solaris? But really my love was 3056. I think I was active 1993-1995 or so? I think someone else mentioned that they played as Clan Wolf. Would be cool to see if anyone else from CW 3056 was looking to play this game.

I started with either the first Mechwarrior video game on a mac (green wire frame) or the table top, I forget which I played first. Played everything since. A friend's family published the Battletech magazine. I forget what it was called.

There is something special about Battletech.

Oh yeah, it was all that. I played in Clan Wolf as Ragnar for a time, prolly during a part that period (but I think there'd have been a Ragnar after me as well). Did manage to wreck the two enemies necessary for the character's Star Captain status in my ToP, too. It's a little crazy that even with today's tech and ambitions, I'm not quite sure we'll get to the excitement levels... too bad game design tends so often to follow the beaten path and not blaze a trail boldly in order to achieve something truly great.

Edited by GoGo Yubari, 23 August 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#67 repete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 522 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

Heh. I was just thinking about creating a thread asking this very question, and lo and behind, here is this thread!

So yeah, 3056 MUSE. Those were the days!

Now was anyone else here around for the start of rec.games.mecha? Makes me chuckle every now and then to see some of my old posts on Usenet. :-) Ah. Here is my first post (Again):

https://groups.googl...RU/efyf_A5xvksJ

#68 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

I was there for the somewhat early days of RGM, although not the very start, and got "recruited" to 3056 when Toni Taia emailed me after I'd made some pro-Draconis Combine posts.;) RGM was a fun place, really, and I still remember some of the more prominent posters. In fact, the address you apparently posted from according to that link seems familiar to me as well, so I'm pretty sure I read some of your posts back then. :wacko:

#69 FtC Atreus

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Wow, lots of familiar names. I was Star Colonel Lee Furey of Clan Smoke Jaguar on 3056. Good times!

#70 Kaio Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Any old frontier/65 players here in MWO i used to play as Devlin Stone or just Devlin

was trying to see if my old friends still around haha

#71 Alex Khoury

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Good to see you the old MU* crowd gathering here.

Does anyone remember the execution conducted by Kurita-Tono on 3025/26/30? (I forget which one it was on) I still remember silently bearing witness and being in awe, as he pulled out the pistol cocked it and executed some members of the faction, all in text.

I do believe I remember Takashi Fuchida, and I also recall the name Jasmine Ichiban.

I can't remember the name of the mentor that trained my "class" in the simulators. I rememebr how he would load us up in a Locust to learn how to navigate the one hex wide maze without a collision. Later we'd work our way up to a Rifleman and learn how to manage our heat as he tested our skills against him in a Spider in a forest. I was so proud when I finally took a real Rifleman into RS for the first time! :)

Edited by Alex Khoury, 09 October 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#72 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Well, I hope all you old-timers make it over to the website and sign up. I'm sure you'll recognize a lot of the names of folks there already.

-Irish

#73 Darkhosis

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostSmoked, on 18 February 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Hmm Darkhosis? Did you also play ********?

Aff... Hosted @ SHSU. I probably blicked you.

I miss the 200v300 battles... Miss my Falconer. The old BTech MUSE days... yup... memories.

#74 Darkhosis

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

View Postcoolname, on 30 July 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

I am one of the above named ^_^ i wanted my old name, but someone beat me to it:( Nice too see all these old btech players!

I bet I stole it! Total homage really, I couldn't remember my old handle when I created this account--I was like 13 and playing at my dad's university with DeuputyDog at the time--but I remembered Darkhosis was the guy I always wanted to be like. I am, however, old school and played a buncha MUDs and MUSEs as a kid. '56 the merc ones, etc.

Edited by Darkhosis, 10 October 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#75 MusashiDodger

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

Wow.. I just got a hit on a btech related search to this thread.. nice to see a lot of old timers here.

I played mainly under variations of the name Dodger. In 3056 I was Musashi_Dodger in Kurita. But I guess one of my fav places to play was the arena MUSE, 4001 I think it was called. If you ever got charged multiple times in a smokey forest by an STH-1D going full speed, that was probably me :lol:

Hosis, Bog, is that really you, or just some poseur taking your ever-infamous name?

I'm gonna bookmark this thread and check back.. in the meantime, anyone know if there's a place where oldtimers can chat about the "good ole days" a bit more actively. Like a IRC channel or something.

Laters

-Dodger

#76 Omdra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

well, you can always stop by at

www.housekurita.org

as that is the place, where a lot of those loyal to the dragon hang out at

rgds
Om

Edited by Omdra, 16 October 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#77 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostMusashiDodger, on 16 October 2012 - 03:06 AM, said:

Hosis, Bog, is that really you, or just some poseur taking your ever-infamous name?

I'm gonna bookmark this thread and check back.. in the meantime, anyone know if there's a place where oldtimers can chat about the "good ole days" a bit more actively. Like a IRC channel or something.

Laters

-Dodger

Heya Dodger!

Read a few of the posts, dOoD! :) The Darkhosis here is a fan of the original's from way back when who is using the name as a tribute. Check out the post by "coolname" above. That may be our old 'Hosis from back in the day.

And read the posts for the location of our website. We have a merc group now! Better yet, just read and click on the link in my .sig to come and sign up.

-Irish

#78 Bianca Flowers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

glad I dropped in on this thread.

I know what I will be building eventually: I will be back in my baby Warhammer if they ever release a proper BlackJack model

#79 LeperLord

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Back around '93 I used to play on one of the btech muses, not sure which but dont think there was clan tech on the server. 3034 maybe. So long ago, think the name I was using at the time was Nyght or Nyghtshade. Anyway I was just a grunt in the dcms war machine having fun fighting using that "lovely" ascii interface :) Looking forward to fighting in the service of HK once again.

#80 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostLeperLord, on 09 November 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

Back around '93 I used to play on one of the btech muses, not sure which but dont think there was clan tech on the server. 3034 maybe. So long ago, think the name I was using at the time was Nyght or Nyghtshade. Anyway I was just a grunt in the dcms war machine having fun fighting using that "lovely" ascii interface :) Looking forward to fighting in the service of HK once again.

That would probably be 3056 you played on then, as 3034 was set pre-clantech/lostech. The DC of 3056 was where I got my MU* start as well as Ishido Kagei. Started out as a grunt and little by little got kicked upwards towards my level of incompetence until I ended up in command of the 1st Genyosha as the people above me quit/went on to other games/disappeared/etc, the way things always happen with online games. Fun times. Fun times. ;)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users