Any old Battletech MUD players out there?

125 replies to this topic

#81 Gil Hamilton

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I went by Gil Hamilton on 3030, 3065, 2796. I always preferred 3065 for the pure gank. Hi all the old folks out there. :(

#82 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationMWO is still incomplete, after YEARS!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Come see us on the website, Gil! Even if you don't join the unit when the game launches, at least come join us and swap some war stories. Bet you'll see a bunch of familiar names.

-Irish

#83 Freqout

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

I played the 3034 and 3056 MUSEs (I think those were the years) in the mid-90's. I signed up with the later MUSE early enough that I got to build out my own office (done up in lacquer and paper, sword rack, etc) and got my hands on a Gunslinger from the get-go. Sooo different, using ascii readouts and having to adjust your timing to account for the massive lag. My favorite was actually the Rifleman - you tended to be ignored because everyone assumed you wouldn't be able to handle the heat output. I no longer have any idea what names I ran under (probably something lifted from Shogun) though always part of House Kurita.

#84 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:00 AM

You had LAG??? What was lag back then? I don't think it existed. There were no graphics and we were on 2400 baud modems. ;)

-Irish

#85 Noodlesoup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 260 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Holy crap, GaretJax, DeputyDog, and Rand. I remember you guys from 3065. This is Jacob Tynes (Jive), i used to lurk around 3065 all the time. good times.

#86 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Well, get your senior citizen butt over to the website and say hi. Even if you don't join the unit once the game goes full blast, at least you can hang out and share some old war stories.

-Irish

#87 Ghideon

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

I played some 3030 for a bit, as well as some others I can't remember. This was prolly in the 2002 timeframe. I wish I had known about them earlier. I too, remember getting checked out in a Locust in a maze, followed by a RFL vs RFL duel. Damned good times.

#88 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hope we see you on the website, Ghideon!

-Irish

#89 owyn

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hey there, another old timer checking in... Owyn Cymrich from House Kurita. 3026, 3034, 3056... whoa. Spent most of my time helping to run the Kurita training academy for a year or two on 3056... I even took a spin at TK, although I had to quit due to RL time commitments pretty quickly and hand the reins over to someone else. Good times!

#90 giovanni blasini

Rookie

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Holy crap, does this thread ever bring back memories. I was wondering how many of you I'd see on here. ^_^

#91 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Memories. I played in 302* muxes/muses, and later dabbled in some others. I was off and on once I joined the Navy, but had great times.

Kinda wish they were still active, last I remember they were pretty much dead or gone. ^_^

I think one of my most memorable moments was training in a locust with a guy from a faction and I was literally skirting the edge of the obstacle course on one of the turns... the guy said, "I didn't tell you to brush the wall!" lol

Edited by torgian, 23 January 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#92 Ekezial

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 102 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hello all you Munchkins!!! I used to play in 30XX MUX quite some time back also, Loved the SRM & LRM Carriers! Can we get them here also????

Edited by Ekezial, 24 January 2013 - 02:31 AM.

#93 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

No vehicles here, I'm afraid, so no SRM or LRM carriers. Of course, there are plenty of people who do their level best to turn their mechs into two-legged versions of them.

#94 Ekezial

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 102 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Well if they allowed vehicles here i shudder to think what the SRM carrier can do. Imagine a SRM carrier(10xSRM6) running around or setup for Ambush, Will definately give me goosebumps if it had ECM.

#95 Propofol

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

Wasted many hours on 3056 during college (and my grades suffered accordingly) and for the life of me can't remember what my handle was. I clanned it up in CSJ until I died in a ToG and later played Nova Cat Biccon Winters character of for a while (cant remember if that was on 3056 or a different MU**). I dabbled in room building, which was close as I ever got to computer programming.

Good times remembered using ASCII maps, lighting forest hexes on fire to make smoke cover. And wasn't there punching and kicking???

(Also dabbled is MEDIVIA for a long time but that's another genre. Went by Ishmael on there)

Now that I am thinking about it....it makes me feel old that I spent so much time on the Btech MUSE and can't remember my name!!!! ;)

#96 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

BUMPITUDE!

COME TO THE DARK OLD SIDE! WE HAVE COOKIES WRINKLES!

:P

-Irish

#97 Jamie Artemis

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostSamual Sneede, on 30 July 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

Not mud, but MUSE/MUSH/MUX's that are (or I should say were) environments with realtime conversions to tabletop rules. Nice big ASCII hexagon maps with objectives for forces to fight over to get money and build more mechs and repair what was damaged in the fighting :D

This is a small window into what it looked like:

Posted Image

You brought tears to my eyes.

Lt jack Carter here the newbie again :D I guess I found the dropship at last..

The question is I really wish to know if the demolisher pilot is here to that shoot me with ac20 when i was in my last recon??? B)

Actually i was looking for the old muds but since i found some old crews here its cool.

#98 Rand 3065MUX

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostRSharpe, on 25 June 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

BOG! Oh the memories. I remember Rand and Mermak well. Is merm still around somewhere? I also remember an obnoxious guy called doo that I used to have a blast with on 3065.

Vincent_Vega (slot)

"Fear" it's slot... I figured you'd be in prison. :mellow:

I really gotta get a pc to play this game.

#99 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostSamual Sneede, on 30 July 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

This is a small window into what it looked like:
Posted Image

I've seen Sneede's map a couple times and I never had the chance to comment on it because I didn't have a copy of an actual screenshot from back then. I ended up taking his display and editing it to show what the games DID look like. The games were MUSEs, MUXes didn't come out 'til much later. Back in the day, we had monochrome (single color) monitors, either green or amber. There were no graphics on the internet at the time..text and typewriter keyboard symbols only. This is what the map would have looked like on a greenscreen monitor where I played, in the computer lab at a friend's university.

Posted Image

That's why you see a similar color scheme in all the MUX members' .sig files. It's one of the experiences we all shared, back in the day.

Luckily, my friend was a comp-sci major and had three accounts, so he "gave" me one to use. Otherwise, I would have never played the MUSHes and MUSEs. At the time, the internet was not commercially available.

Oh...and yes, our kill records were kept by painting them on the walls of our caves. :unsure:

-Irish

#100 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

Thread Resurrection: Successful

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!!!

And so are we, sort of. :huh:

-Irish

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users