First mech to purchase

Guide

116 replies to this topic

#101 Reishiko

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostCybermech, on 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

so I went over it again, rebuilt from sratch.
I thought you were right for a sec but ended up having 2 ams lolz

note: AMS defends against streaks too but only effective outside 80-100m from target.

@splinters, thanks man have no idea why I put the xl275 instead of 280 B)

Well that kind of annoys me since I bought and paid for a 275 instead of a 280... freaking engines are expensive... sigh.

Oh well.

Okay so if I got this right, you're dropping the TAG from the cheap fit to have the extra space for the AMS. Is that correct?

You are effectively trading TAG capability for the extra defense (if any) from AMS... right?

I guess I'm just confused by that... considering there is a lot of stuff in the thread about how useful TAG is and what not.

Can you talk about that a bit?

#102 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostReishiko, on 23 January 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Well that kind of annoys me since I bought and paid for a 275 instead of a 280... freaking engines are expensive... sigh.

Sorry about that, I have the 280 installed myself, was paying too much attention to costs.

2x MP is far better then 2xML for in game damage being recorded.
But it does run hot and requires double heat sinks to work.
Upgraded version can easily run with both setups.
TAG on your fully upgraded Raven in a group would work well if the team is working around using TAGs
Running solo you would want more damage over group orientated modules.

Commando-2D is different since its only 1 medium laser which doesn't bring much to the field so TAG would be better .
I know its only difference between 1 or 2 lasers but in game you really notice the lack of damage from the 1.

Edited by Cybermech, 23 January 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#103 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'm a newbie here, been playing about a week, and while I can't argue with any choices here, I'm not sure starting out with an ECM mech is the best idea for long-term gameplay skills. ECM is a wonderful thing, yes, but if you start out with an ECM mech, then all your early skills will be developed around having ECM. I'm runing a Cicada 2A right now, which has no ECM, and it's forcing me to learn smart plays, good positioning, and how to effectively run away. Once I do hop in a mech with ECM, knowing how to survive without it will make me more dangerous with it.

I'll admit, I do like a bit of masochism in my video games from time to time, but I just think ECM should be less of a "training wheels" thing, and more of an adittional edge on an already skilled player.

#104 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

I agree with what your saying zraven7 but I think your more right with a second purchased mech.
ECM allows for those who are new to have an advantage over others.
If your in any other light and your enemy is in ECM boat, well that = death with no joy.
One of the most important things for new pilots is to feel like their doing something and dying with a cause.
Their morale/confidence alone will help them continue playing game after game.

There is also a lot less ECM boats in pug matches too so your even more right.
But the situation still stands, ECM light will kill any light/medium it goes up against (in theory).
I should have added none ECM Mechs by now but clearly im being a little lazy on that one :D

Edited by Cybermech, 25 January 2013 - 02:09 AM.

#105 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I do see your point about giving new players a way to contribute. I guess it's a different school of thought for me. I go into a game trying the hard stuff first. It's a bit masochistic, Ill admit. If early ecm mechs get more people into the game, I'm all for it.

#106 Aristotelis

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 86 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

You could try and a Jenner but needs speed and agility!Here a video of me to see how it works!

Edited by Aristotelis, 25 January 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#107 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

There are a lot of people who know me for charging in and getting some good fights.
This thread in general is to help against farming.
I'd love to put up the jenner-D but once it goes against any ECM light it normally loses very easily.

Would have to be hunchback/Centurion, really liking the lag shield the 4SP is getting atm with the 200stf engine.
Not a whole lot but its enough to get your face stuck into things.
Suppose I'll start with that one :angry:

#108 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I would recommend ECM for new pilots just so they can get a few kills and learn a few of the other skills like map layout while getting use to the system and style. Now that the lag shield has been minimized by the last patch (1/23/13), an ECM bubble is a nice edge for a new player with all these vets running around in 4-man kill teams.

If your a gamer and can hack it without ECM, all the more power to you. I learned that way and still prefer it, but I do want the new players to have some fun in the first month of playing.

-S

#109 OToole42

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thank you so much for the starting mech pointers, its been a while since I played a mechwarrior game

#110 Cauldronborne

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

One of my favorite variants that i have made so far is Cataphract CTF 1X equipped with a standard 245 engine, AC20 with 7 tons of ammo (42 rounds) 3 medium lasers mounted in the arms for fast tracking lights and 2 small lasers on the torso. Make the structure endo steel for a few extra tons for heat because you'll have the crit slots for it and youll have one bad *** brawler.
41 dmg alpha strike, 1.17 heat rating but very manageable because of the many sinks

#111 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostCauldronborne, on 28 January 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

with 7 tons of ammo (42 rounds)

this should be way too much ammo, heat rating doesn't really matter but the amount of heat sinks you have.
double heat sinks should take up some crit slots.
Not trying to be critical about your fits, just 7 tonnes is WAY too much for 1 ac20.
should be able to use 5xML and some more heat sinks.

#112 Troy Carter

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hi everyone!

First of alI want say, that game idea is realised nice!!Only one minus in my opinion, if everything going in compare with our calendar. We will queit long await for some mechs and so on(( Sorry for some flood, now about mechs>

I playing around 2 weeks. Now I on step of Med Mech. In the beggining it was a choice between Hunchback / Centurion, so Im choice first one, with model 4J ( cause want some dist. battles). Stock model was commpletely poor> and I almost start crying, but wich each credit and upgrade i made in my opinion nice stuff:

2 LRM 10 + ARTEMIS
ANTIMISSLE SYST
TAG
3 MED LASER

+ to that buy more powerfull engine and increase quantity of my ferro febrious armor)
So now i can made 1-3 frag per game))And about 4-5 assits. I think its queit good for support!!!

#113 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

Flail the noob! Question. I want to do the RAVEN 3L loadout. And I'm still floundering my way thru the lab/layouts etc.
I got the armor, structure, heat sinks accomplished, got the left 2xmpl done. ECM

I went with srm's and ammo instead. The weight seemed the same vs the suggested streaks
What is an AMS? Most of the abbreviations I can figure out, SRM, LT etc..

I remove the engine- the suggested engine is still red- too heavy? I think the highest was 240-245
Am I supposed to remove the beagle?

thanks

Armor Upgrade: Ferro Fibrous
Structure Upgrade: Endo Steel (350k)
Double HeatSinks: Yes (1.5mil)

2x MPL (2x 120k = 240k)
2x Streak 2's (2x 30k = 60k)
1x Guardian ECM (400k)
1x Ams (200k)
1x Ams Ammo (2k)
2x Streak Ammo (2x 54k = 108k)
1x Double Heatsink (12k)
1x XL 280 (4.5mil)

Armor Total Amount: 214
Head :18
CT: 26
CTR: 18
RT: 18
RTR: 14
LT: 18
LTR: 14
RA: 12
LA: 13
RL: 32
LL: 32

Note: I use xl280 instead of 295 for the extra 1 tonne to use as heat sinks. Not much but allows me to do more damage

Edited by ThatDawg, 06 February 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#114 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

sorry man, i missed your above question so it might be a bit late.

I would not use srm's, that exact configuration works.
If you finding it hard to fit everything in the way you want you have to take things into account.

Your light mech so speed is key, max engine is normally the best Idea and this is the only light mech that i do not use max engine.
I would drop the MP's to ML which will save 1tonne each if you want to try and stick to your fit.
but would really stick to streaks especially since the launchers on the mech only shoot 2 at a time and ONLY srm4 and srm6 are worth it.

Ams is what the name is in game mechlab. it shoots down missiles/streaks and everything is automatic.
It use a gun slot on only 1 part of the mech. It will appear on your inventory list when you have selected the proper torso.
It also use ammo, 1t for 1000 rounds.

#115 magnifier

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

nevermind :)

Edited by magnifier, 16 February 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#116 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

fail safe is always a hunchie

#117 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:35 AM

na not anymore.
I have to put up some fits again.
but atm Cent is top dog of mediums.

Especially Cent-A with 200 std engine, 1xac5, 2x ML, 3x srm6.
My mind did change back to the hunch for maybe 3-4 days.
When the patch that made jenner viable again came out.

Treb might change that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users