Guide

116 replies to this topic

#61 Davvol

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationRussia, Saint-Petersburg

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hello to everyone.
Need a little advice. I've played a little more than 20 games with trial mechs, and most of all I like scout light/med mechs.
Now I grinded enought to buy a Commando for 1,7kk.
So the question is: Shoud I buy it now and start grinding on normal mech, or should I wait to buy something like Cicada of Raven for 3-3,5kk?

And what build is best for newbie scout? ^_^

Edited by Davvol, 12 November 2012 - 02:59 AM.

#62 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

View PostDavvol, on 12 November 2012 - 02:56 AM, said:

Hello to everyone.
Need a little advice. I've played a little more than 20 games with trial mechs, and most of all I like scout light/med mechs.
Now I grinded enought to buy a Commando for 1,7kk.
So the question is: Shoud I buy it now and start grinding on normal mech, or should I wait to buy something like Cicada of Raven for 3-3,5kk?

And what build is best for newbie scout? ^_^

i think you should get the commando after a few more grinding sessions with the trial mechs. You'll need the extra money for repairs and buying new add-ons like weapons. With an owned mech you can get more money per match. I've gotten 180k+ for winning a match, plus you get XP

for the commando a laser boat with all small lasers might be ok. I tried a 3 SSRM2 + 1 medium laser and found the lock on capability of the SSRM made hittin easy for a newbie. But that was pre patch. After the patch, SSRM's had problems so I'm not sure if they are as good as before. Also I hear artemis SRM's got a much tighter spread so they are viable

#63 Davvol

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationRussia, Saint-Petersburg

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

Thanks!

#64 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Davvol if you read the first part of the thread you would have your answer.
Commando requires a lot more skill to use then any other lights.
Raven is good but because of hardpoints and lack of jump jets on one of them,
Jenner is best choice of mech for lights.

Now the Cicada does come into question but because it needs the xl engine to get what it needs,
Centurion/Hunchback seems to be best choice, Hunchback needs engine increase to be effective.
Were the Centurion doesn't need engine increase.

Centurion does have bay doors for missile slot which gives them I think -5% damage received.
But also gives the missile longer to shoot out.

Also Centurion-D has 300xl engine but costs 8mil for it.

#65 Rylyn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

What does everyone think about the Dragon? Just looking at them, I seem to be gravitating towards making it my first purchase. Thoughts would be appreciated.

#66 Strikhedonia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 257 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostRylyn, on 28 November 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

What does everyone think about the Dragon? Just looking at them, I seem to be gravitating towards making it my first purchase. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Depends on how you play. I've found it inadequate in a toe-to-toe brawl. The arms seems to be ripped away no matter how much armor I put on them. However it excels in the striker role. Put a fast engine in it and use it to run circles around the enemy. It's kind of a super-Jenner in that regard. Unfortunately it's also expensive to kit out for that role.

#67 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

@rylyn
dragons are an acquired taste and that is not a bad thing.
those who are good with the dragon are just evil in them.
Build around a gauss with 4/5 tonne of ammo.
Then aim for a bigger engine.
If it an xl engine your going for start with the 300xl, it will fit in a lot of your setups.

You don't lead the charge in a dragon, but you use the guass to snipe of faces in close enough combat.

#68 Rylyn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

I decided to making the Dragon my first purchase and although a little low on firepower, its other attributes make up for it. Im sure I'll find other mechs I like but so far Im happy with the Dragon.

#69 Krypal

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

TheCenturion-Al fit just plain sucks...over heats in 3/4 shots unless you only use the med lasers and even then you still have to watch it very carefully
This is really nto a good fit for anyone let alone new players

Just send them into Jenners and streak Catapults so they can be Op like everyone else

2 days playing read this and so bought it...what a pile or crap.

Edited by Krypal, 30 November 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#70 Falcon Eye

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

Hi

Really impressed with the Cent 9AL fit but i would like to offer a little clarity for the people newly buying it.

DO NOT buy Ferro Fibrous armour, your repair bills will go through the roof.

Instead fit it with double heat sinks and endo.

Also, uncheck the automatic rearm box as you get 75 percent ammo for free at the start of a game. (So called welfare ammo)

I am currently enjoying :

2 medium lasers in the arm
2 medium pulse in the chest
2 streak missiles with 3 tons of armour and case
AMS with one ton of armour in the head
Near max armour and the rest filled with heat sinks.
240 standard engine

Fit that, find something bigger than you and beat the living daylights out of it.

Enjoy,

Falc.

Edited by Falcon Eye, 01 December 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#71 Tex Arcana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStark Industries: Sector 16.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

Well. I went with a hunch...
4SP with twin LRM10/Artemis in the torsos.
3 tons of ammo (1 ton in a leg).
AMS in one torso.
4 Med Lasers in the arms, and one small Laser in the head.
Stuck with the 200 std Engine.
Endo Steel (I'm going to stay away from the XL engines and the Ferro Fibrous).
13 dbl HS.
I have to say I like that I'm doing close to 300 damage on average now. And the repair bill is not bad at all. Even when I fire all that Artemis ammo.
I fully rearm as I need all the ammo.
Planning on tweaking it some more...double HS in the future?
Any pointers appreciated.
Edit note: Dbl HS, another Med Laser, 1 ton ammo added.
Had my first over 400 damage match.
Made 170k with 61k repairs/ammo.

Edited by Tex Arcana, 01 December 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#72 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Quoted from: Cybermech
Jenner-D laodout - Youtube vid
Jenner-D setup
First off strip off all Jump jets (JJ) except for one.
Swap the 1 jj with the standard heat sink in the cockpit

4x Small laser
2x Ssrm (streak)
1x streak ammo
2x standard heat sink (total 11)

Armor:
Head 18
CT 25
CTR 15
RT 17
RTR 12
LT 17
LTR 12
RA 10
LA 10
RL 28
RA 28

If you want to stick with the jenner then get a 300xl.
Jenner-D with srm is the exact same except you keep the 1x srm and add a heat sink (total 12 heat sinks)
Jenner-F is same armor but with 6x SL and as much heat sinks as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with this build but if you have the $ you can make it even beastlier (if that is a word)
My Jenner-D setup
1 JJ (RT)
4x small lasers
2x ssrm 2'a
2x ssrm ammo (1xLL and 1xRL)
2x double heat sink (total 12)
1 AMS +1 ton of ammo (LT+RT)

Armor:
Head 18
CT 36
CTR 8
RT 24
RTR 8
LT 24
LTR 8
RA 24
LA 24
RL 29
RA 29
the reason i have less rear armor than his build is that i am able to stay facing the enemy
(lots of practice needed to do that)
Tip: When you run away from the enemy never face directly away from him. Dificulty: super easy 1/5
---> Quick fix to that is torso twisting so your facing (as close as possible to) 90% the way you are running so they hit your side torso and arm instead of your rear (this works for ALL mechs)

Tip#2: when you want to turn fast, you dont have to slow down. Dificulty: hard 3/5
-----> quick fix press then flutter your JJs This makes you turn around 2 times as fast when going max speed and it makes it so that you can fire when you run away! (this only works effectively on light mechs)

#73 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

First off, my jenner-D and jenner-K are two of my favorite mechs.

To be clear on a few things, I'm going to state ahead of time that:

1. My ping rarely goes higher than 100, or 130-150 on a really bad day.

2. I've never played any mechwarrior games before this, save for one game on the original Xbox that belonged to one of my friends, ~5 or 6 years ago. I didn't like that game. I love this one.

3. I have practiced with my jenners a lot, and I have the best upgrades I've found on them.

4. I'm in a clan, but I've only been with them for a few weeks, and only been playing with them for the past week or so.

5. DO. NOT. GET. FERRO. FIBROUS. ARMOR. Seriously -- it doubles the cost of armor per ton, and it gets you way less tonnage/critical slot used than endo-steel does. Even on lights, which are some of the only mechs which can fit all 4 upgrades. (double heatsinks, endo-steel, ferro-fibrous, and artemis.)

6. This is just the recommendation by one player. Don't assume I'm right, and what I've picked is what you will love, but don't assume I'm wrong either. Ask around, and read the threads. Even better would be if you joined a clan -- you only need maybe $20 for a good headset with a microphone attached, and teamspeak is free.

Okay, on to business:

For a new player, I have two recommended starting mechs:

Either, the Jenner-D or the Hunchback-4P.
Jenner-D:
NOTE: THIS MECH IS BEST IF YOU HAVE A VERY LOW PING. Ideally, less than 100 constantly, or at least 90% of the time.
The Jenner-D has two missile hardpoints in the center torso, and has 2 energy hardpoints in each arm.
The two CT missile hardpoints are best filled with two Streak SRM 2 launchers when you are a new player, because they home in on their targets. They don't hit 100% of the time, but they hit much more often than dumb-fire SRMs do.
The two energy hardpoints in each arm are best filled with two small lasers (regular, not pulse), unless you have a large engine AND double heatsinks, in which case you can use medium lasers.
The best engine I've found to use in a jenner (all jenners) is the XL 300 engine. Yes, it costs more than the jenner does itself, but with that engine, you are moving at nearly 140kph. Once you get the elite pilot skill 'Speed Tweak', you are moving at nearly 150kph. You will be the fastest mech on the field. Use this to your advantage. Dodge, weave, hide behind cover, anything to make it harder to damage you and take you out. Avoid mechs which also have Streak SRMs, because those will hit you unless you have cover everywhere.
This build, when it has small lasers, is fairly low damage, but very easy to manage heat if you use weapon groups correctly. (For me, I group the weapons on the right arm to weapon group 2, the weapons on the left arm to weapon group 1, and then chain-fire each weapon group. I then make weapon group 3 all of the lasers without chain-fire. Weapon group 4 is the Streak SRMs on chain-fire, and weapon group 5 is the Streak SRMs without chain-fire.)
Once you have enough CBills, get double-heatsinks, endo-steel, and the XL 300 engine. The XL 300 will set you back nearly 5 million cbills, (I think), but it is worth it in the long run. You do not need more than 1 XL 300 engine for your mechs -- just remove it from one mech and add it to whatever one you want to pilot next.

Hunchback-4P:
NOTE: THIS MECH IS A 100% ENERGY BUILD. The only ammo that should ever be on it is AMS ammo. This mech will have extremely low repair bills if piloted correctly, and, like the jenner-F (which is also a pure-energy mech), will have almost no ammo cost whatsoever.
The Hunchback-4P has 1 energy hardpoint in each arm, 1 energy hardpoint in the head, and 6 energy hardpoints in the right torso. Unless you have double-heatsinks and endo-steel, don't fill this with medium lasers. Go for small lasers instead, a 260 standard engine, (which will let you move at 84kph without Speed Tweak), and make sure that you have as many standard heatsinks as you can carry. You'll need them. Don't engage LRM boats unless you can get right in their face without them noticing you. You have no damage at all beyond 180M (your AMS has more range than your primary weapons do), but at 90M or below, you have a fast-firing, quick-cooling, 27-damage alpha strike. The first pilot skills you should get are Cooldown and Heat Management. (They are the two basic skills in the upper left and upper right corners, respectively, of the pilot skills screen for the mech.)
Once you have double-heatsinks, and endo-steel, you are ready for using Medium Lasers instead of Small Lasers. Now you can do full damage at up to 270M, and do some damage out to 540M. Beyond 540M, you do nothing. Now, however, you need to manage your heat a bit more carefully, because medium lasers heat up more than small lasers do. In exchange for that, however, your previous alpha strike damage/range of 27/90 becomes a much more appreciable ratio of 45/270. Translation -- you target the back of an atlas, and it will fall in, usually, no more than 4 alphas. You're still moving at 84kph, and that's fast for a mech with an alpha of nearly 50 damage. You also are fairly heavily armored.
This mech is great for 'farming' cbills. I don't mean cheap-***, d-bag lame, AFK or suicidal farming, I mean "contribute to the team like a BAMF" farming. You'll get fairly good damage, and, as you increase in skill, you'll get better and better at taking people out quickly.
For reference, this is the mech I used in closed beta before everything got wiped for open beta. I still prefer my jenner over it, if only because at 150kph I can pilot circles around most opponents, and that's without the jumpjets on my mech. This mech will help you a great deal, and it works far better than ammo-heavy mechs, even if you don't use auto-rearm.
You should still avoid ferro-fiberous like the plague though. It makes farming so much worse in this mech.

However, don't take my word as being 100% right. I also happen to be a fairly good atlas pilot, but that is not a beginner mech. And with the cheapest being 9M, it shouldn't be your first mech either.

Don't worry guys, you'll get there. :)

#74 Tex Arcana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostTex Arcana, on 01 December 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Well. I went with a hunch...
4SP with twin LRM10/Artemis in the torsos.
3 tons of ammo (1 ton in a leg).
AMS in one torso.
4 Med Lasers in the arms, and one small Laser in the head.
Stuck with the 200 std Engine.
Endo Steel (I'm going to stay away from the XL engines and the Ferro Fibrous).
13 dbl HS.
I have to say I like that I'm doing close to 300 damage on average now. And the repair bill is not bad at all. Even when I fire all that Artemis ammo.
I fully rearm as I need all the ammo.
Planning on tweaking it some more...double HS in the future?
Any pointers appreciated.
Edit note: Dbl HS, another Med Laser, 1 ton ammo added.
Had my first over 400 damage match.
Made 170k with 61k repairs/ammo.

I'm definitely feeling slow in this build in some matches.
I think I may have to reconsider it. Once I have the Hunchback(s) mastered.
I'm in a 4J right now which I really feel needs something more.
In it I have:
2 x Streaks
2 x Sm Lasers
4 x Med. Lasers
AMS
Endo Steel is the only upgrade so far; I have a 1.14 heat rating (23 single HS).
I experimented with Pulse Mediums; but they just didn't feel right...

#75 Zen Hachetaki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Thought I would weigh in with more general feedback than specific...

Higher tech = higher repairs. If this is about a cash generator rather than most effective fighting machine/kill bot then the following applies:
*Never get an XL engine
*Never get FF armor
*avoid ammo weapons (streaks are ok b/c you get dmg c bills 90% of the time in return)

MLas and SLas seem to be the cheapest to use and replace, use them in chain fire - ALWAYS - you can manage your heat much better and can click fast if you want alphas or use the "\" button above enter key. Getting shut down means death usually because you stop moving and then things get bad.

Effective tools are:
*Endo steel - decent cost to install and often does not get over pricey to repair - allows for more armor and higher survivability
*Cyber made an excellent point about ALWAYS having at least ONE JJ on anything that can use them. Even if you do not like to use them for actual jumps they are awesome for quick "hop turns" for something getting behind you etc, and for if you are accidentally falling off ridges etc you can save a LOT of damage. Just one will do wonders for your survivability and positioning
*DHS - especially for if you just have the internal to engine mounted ones - nice return and stops you from shutting down
*Use cover - always know where your closest hard cover is from snipers and LRMs and have your feet pointed there before you engage
*Beware of lights running away from you - in the words of Admiral Ackbar; "It's a trap". Light pilots all think they can circle strafe you if they are intending to "fight you", if they are running it is not because they are afraid of you...

Personally I like Jenners - you can get a LOT of spot XP/Cbills and get out before getting nuked in return, you also get in on any base caps for cap assists and more often wins (sometimes it is a cap race - then please give me the fastest mech possible to get in on the action faster). My money maker build is reg eng, Endo, 4 md las on chain fire button one, 2 sm las linked button 2, 1 JJ, 12 DHS, almost max armor. Fire your MLas in FRONT of enemy jenner legs and watch them run thru your fire and leg themselves or run away once one leg goes red. With 4 MLas you can keep a steady stream of green in front of them without overheating firing one at a time.

There will be tons of discussion as to which is the *best* mech out there but play styles will make you successful moreso than playing something you do not like. But above all else - get in groups with Comms - coordination > individual skill. 90% of the time a better team will beat better individuals and wins Cbills/XP is what adds up fastest - plus it more fun to win than lose...

PS Dragons - I have 3 and love playing them but expensive as heck to run and would not advise it for a first mech or for a money maker

#76 Tex Arcana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Very good advice Zen.
More + for you.
PS. I'm sticking to the Hunchies cuz I'm a sucker for their adaptability, and damage output ;)
PSS.
Learn to lead your targets (Zen mentions shooting in front of a Jenners legs. This is good advice).

Edited by Tex Arcana, 03 December 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#77 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Never thought to lead the legs on a jenner.
I tend to just aim for the rear CT on everything, because it usually has comparatively little armor, and it's easier than taking out two legs. (Both aim-wise, and damage-wise.)

Unless it's a commando or a catapult. Then I go right for the head.

#78 Zen Hachetaki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 124 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Ah but Spirit - you only have to get one leg (not both) and then the Jenner is toast at half speed. Not to mention getting behind a Jenner can be difficult for anything not of equal speed. It is also to do with the netcode - I have found I get more hits shooting through both legs than trying to core a Jenner's torso. Plus many are maxed torso armor but sometimes will skimp on legs (sometimes).

#79 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

If anyone needs help building up their Atlas to be a strong badass he deserves to be then check out my guide:

http://mwomercs.com/...n-atlas-builds/

Edited by MadPanda, 11 December 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#80 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Oddly enough I'm surprised there are few to no updates since the ECM addition to the game.

For any new mechwarrior that is getting their first mech, I would highly recommend getting the Commando 2D. Why? Pack on 3 Streak-2's for some punch on light and medium mechs (especially if you have high pings) and also save up to get the ECM which will help you in scouting/survivability as well be a much more welcome teammate.

The Raven 3L also is another popular choice due to ECM loading ability as well, but if you want to grind cash, lights mechs have low repair bills and wins can net you 150k+ per match. My personal highest was 315k in my jenner for getting kills on 7/8 mechs, a lot of luck involved in timing, but still lots more money to be made than Trial mech grinds.

-S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users