• 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

What is up with the Spider SDR-5K?

#83 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

your going to have to be more specific then that :)

#84 SChlafmannYo

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

I bought the commando 2-D.
This build is just awesome. I replaced the TAG by a ML because I fear running out of ammo.
400+ dmg every game, this is imba. :)

Edited by SChlafmannYo, 17 January 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#85 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I'm going to update to highlight the advantages of TAG in the post.
Tag's extra bonus as follows:
Tag will remove ECM off an enemy so your own team can lock on to them.
Once your under 200m to an ECM boat you loose this (basically you can't use it while being jammed).
ML is nice to a certain extent, in theory but in terms of actual function compared to TAG I feel it looses out.

That being said you will see all different types of setups, ones with AMS too.

#86 SChlafmannYo

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I put back the TAG, but in the end it happens that i run out of ammo, and in this case, well...i run xD.
I agree ML is that not that good, espectially on a commando.

#87 Mota Prefect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 634 posts
  • LocationAboard Sheep Star 1 Battleship - Location Classified

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostCybermech, on 04 October 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

well shift, if you don't mind trying out the centurion fit.
so far it has been the easiest for me to use, especially when it comes to not upgrading the engine.
I be very interested in your thoughts about it.

The easiest for him to snatch a kill away from you he means. :lol: :)

#88 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostMota Prefect, on 20 January 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

The easiest for him to snatch a kill away from you he means. :ph34r: :huh:

If your too busy shooting me in the back, what can ye expect.
PS: look at the date..... last years news -_-

#89 Mike Silva

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm enjoying the Commando 2D build; my first purchased mech. I've gone from being a punching bag to a killer.

#90 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Glad to hear MIke, game is a lot more fun when you can feel like your doing something useful.
Be warned streaks lead to some really lazy game play ;)

#91 Mike Silva

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostCybermech, on 22 January 2013 - 01:58 AM, said:

Glad to hear MIke, game is a lot more fun when you can feel like your doing something useful.
Be warned streaks lead to some really lazy game play :)

This is true. Right now I'm mostly focusing on learning the maps. When I'm comfortable with that I'll be ready to reconfigure to either direct fire weapons, or go with a different 'mech that primarily uses those. I may play with the 2D and see how much firepower I can get out of standard SRMs and switch to primarily hunting heavier 'mechs.

#92 Reishiko

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Can I ask a question?

I bought a Raven 3L and upgraded it and really enjoy the play of the light mech class. Probably going to hang around this weight class til I save up enough C-Bills to do something in the medium or assult class.

Anywho, the question.

How are you getting all that stuff to fit in your Raven you listed on the first post? Because I find myself trying to wedge 36.5 tons into a 35 ton frame. Where are you getting that extra 1.5 tons? Is there some older player wisdom/knowledge that I'm missing?

I currently have the "fit to save up for" the second one you listed. Its running Firo Fiberous, Edno, Double Heat Sinks upgrades, and on it I have 2 MPL, 2 Streak 2s, 2 Streak 2 Ammo, CASE, Tag, Guardian ECM, XL 275 with a Double Sink in the Engine and the armor values you have listed on the fit. Problem is.... I can't fit the AMS or the ammo (the extra 1.5 tons I'm trying to wedge on there) due to tonnage. Got lots of slots available due to upgrading that engine from the XL 210 to XL 275 but to do so filled up any tonnage I had. The problem is the weight. Help?

#93 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

View PostReishiko, on 23 January 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Can I ask a question?

I bought a Raven 3L and upgraded it and really enjoy the play of the light mech class. Probably going to hang around this weight class til I save up enough C-Bills to do something in the medium or assult class.

Anywho, the question.

How are you getting all that stuff to fit in your Raven you listed on the first post? Because I find myself trying to wedge 36.5 tons into a 35 ton frame. Where are you getting that extra 1.5 tons? Is there some older player wisdom/knowledge that I'm missing?

I currently have the "fit to save up for" the second one you listed. Its running Firo Fiberous, Edno, Double Heat Sinks upgrades, and on it I have 2 MPL, 2 Streak 2s, 2 Streak 2 Ammo, CASE, Tag, Guardian ECM, XL 275 with a Double Sink in the Engine and the armor values you have listed on the fit. Problem is.... I can't fit the AMS or the ammo (the extra 1.5 tons I'm trying to wedge on there) due to tonnage. Got lots of slots available due to upgrading that engine from the XL 210 to XL 275 but to do so filled up any tonnage I had. The problem is the weight. Help?

I think the upgrade your missing is the "Endo Steel" structure upgrade. It will take up 14 crit spaces, but it will get you the additional weight savings you need. Also I run 2 ML's and not 2 MPL's in my build. MPL's are great if you have the heat and weight, but you either give up the AMS, MPL's->ML's, or heat sinks. In this case I'd rather give up the MPL's as the range of ML's is fine and gives you 2 tons to figure out if you want AMS or BAP.

A big hint for new players, use the web-based mechlab to try out your optimal build before actually spending MC/Cbills. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/. Great way to see what the optimal loadout is and how much Cbills it will cost.

here's my raven-3L build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b908042713aa33

Good Luck!

-S

#94 ReaverLord

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Regardless of playstyle or skill - the hunchback-4SP is probably a good mech to buy. This is an all-around balance mech to play. You will definately keep this mech for a long time.

Out of the box, this is a functional mech. It has excellent torso twist limits and a good weapons platform to customize short range or long range. It does not have the vulnerability of other hunchback variants as the weapons are spread around, instead of the big right torso hunch.

#95 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

As a commando-2D, 3x SSRM-2's makes the most sense as you can kill lights and mediums with that build than dropping a SSRM-2 for a ML for a config of 2x SSRM-2's and a ML. If your hunting something bigger than medium mechs, use the back armor or run, you won't have enough to knock out a Heavy mech if they are well armored or fresh. Of course if there are open torso's, fire away and go for components.

-S

#96 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostReaverLord, on 23 January 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Regardless of playstyle or skill - the hunchback-4SP is probably a good mech to buy. This is an all-around balance mech to play. You will definately keep this mech for a long time.

Out of the box, this is a functional mech. It has excellent torso twist limits and a good weapons platform to customize short range or long range. It does not have the vulnerability of other hunchback variants as the weapons are spread around, instead of the big right torso hunch.

This. The -4SP is probably the best "first purchased mech" choice. Balanced and solid load out that can be spread around the mech. HBK still has the widest firing arc in the game. No need for an XL engine: no pesky early deaths for newbies, and introduction to zombie mode as well. Can fit lrms, standard srms, or streaks equally effectively. Good platform for learning heat management. And no worries that the new player is learning with a crutch like streak-boating an ECM raven or commando.

Edited by Bagheera, 23 January 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#97 Reishiko

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostSplinters, on 23 January 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

I think the upgrade your missing is the "Endo Steel" structure upgrade. It will take up 14 crit spaces, but it will get you the additional weight savings you need. Also I run 2 ML's and not 2 MPL's in my build. MPL's are great if you have the heat and weight, but you either give up the AMS, MPL's->ML's, or heat sinks. In this case I'd rather give up the MPL's as the range of ML's is fine and gives you 2 tons to figure out if you want AMS or BAP.

A big hint for new players, use the web-based mechlab to try out your optimal build before actually spending MC/Cbills. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/. Great way to see what the optimal loadout is and how much Cbills it will cost.

here's my raven-3L build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b908042713aa33

Good Luck!

-S

Thanks for the reply. Its kind of what I figured.

I do have the Endo upgrade, I said it in my post but I spelled it wrong (Edno) cause I'm an *****. In fact, I have the exact fit he recommends for the 3L, but all of the stuff he has listed doesn't fit.

I guess that's my point. He's recommending all this stuff but it won't fit and its a bit confusing for new players like myself who are looking at this going, okay, this is how you want to spend those important first cbills before you lose that cadet bonus. And I don't want to hamstring myself with a crappy mech at the start.

But the stuff he has listed just does not all fit unless there is something else that I'm just not aware of.

I figured if I wanted the AMS I would have to drop the MPLs to MLs since the pulses are 2 tons each and the regular medium laser is 1 ton each... that would allow for the extra 1.5 tons needed for the AMS + ammo. But the fit he has listed includes Pulses and AMS. If its a preference thing, he should say something in the thread about it.

Its not a big deal, I actually really like the MPLs, they do really good damage. And I'm not sure how useful the AMS is... I'm so fast and with the ECM I rarely worry about missles anyway. So if its a choice, well I think I'll stick with my MPLs. I was just wondering if he knew some trick to make all that stuff he lists in the build fit.

#98 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

so I went over it again, rebuilt from sratch.
I thought you were right for a sec but ended up having 2 ams lolz

note: AMS defends against streaks too but only effective outside 80-100m from target.

@splinters, thanks man have no idea why I put the xl275 instead of 280 ^_^

Edited by Cybermech, 23 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#99 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

295XL is a popular choice for the Raven-3L now that the speed cap was bumped from 140 to ~150ish. I would give up my BAP once I save up enough cash for the engine, but quite often I buy another mech instead of one XL engine.

Another hint is that an engine can fit 1 Heat Sink (double or single) per 25 engine size. So typically I buy XL engines in sizes that allow me to get that extra heat sink in. This especially is important for mechs you put double heat sinks in.

So I have XL's in the following sizes: 210XL (for commando's), 255XL (for hunches and some catapults), 280XL (raven 3L), 300XL (Catapults, Jenners, and Atlas - tho I recommend 300 for Atlas), and 325XL (cicada's). I'm sure they will fit other chassis as well. For instance a 300XL allows me to put 12 DHS in my jenner without using any crit space. So I can also use FF armor and Endo to maximize the build. And as Cybermech noticed, 275 and 250 XL's are the same weight as 280 and 255 XL's respectively so I bought those instead.

Another good tip is to use Endo Steel first, and keep FF as an option for light mechs. Using both Endo and FF tends to use too many crits in any good Medium or heavier build. As a point of reference, if I use DHS, I don't use FF except in light mechs.

Hope this helps!

-S

Edited by Splinters, 23 January 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#100 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

It looks like most advice is away from super slow assault mechs. I concur.

You don't learn much about maneuvering at 48 kph. And all those ballistics on the other team are eager to swing over to you so they can fire at something where they know every shot is going to land.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users