• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

i think that that mech needs more ballistic hardpoints

#42 kwalski

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

wish i saw this tread before buying comando. man it's hard using commando.

#43 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

Kwalski, commando aint so bad, just needs some streaks.
also repair bill are very low so grinding for a better mech can be quick enough.

#44 AkalaOubli

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Before reading any guides or anything on the forums I went with my gut. The 6 laser hard point Jenner with jump jets. Unfortunately heat is a major problem even with small lasers instead of mediums. Anyone willing to give me there loadout for this monster?

#45 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

6x small laser should be an easy fit for you.
300xl engine is what you want to aim for if you want to run the jenner with a good fit.
if thats too much go with structure upgrade and double heat sinks.

#46 Chaemeleon

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOutreach, awaiting contracts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

First mech I bought was the RVN-2X. Loaded it down with x1LLSR x1MLSR x2SLSR. First run out I made more kills/assists in one round than any of the matches I did with a trial mech. Immediately went back into the Lab and slapped on some more heat sinks.

Raven's always been one of my favorite mech's in any of the games and this one's no different.

#47 NUCat

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Some great tips as I am just getting into the fray with things. It feels like LRMs are the king of weapons choice but that may change with experience.

#48 AkalaOubli

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostCybermech, on 07 November 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

6x small laser should be an easy fit for you.
300xl engine is what you want to aim for if you want to run the jenner with a good fit.
if thats too much go with structure upgrade and double heat sinks.

I run Dual heats, Structure and Fero armor so I have a fairly light load. I've got dual four medium lasers and two small lasers. So my crunch is actually fairly significant. I just have to really watch my heat. Alpha striking mid air can cause some huge issues. Unfortunately I'm having a problem with the Mech itself. It seems to fast for me to handle easily. I really have to focus to do any damage.

#49 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostAkalaOubli, on 09 November 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

I run Dual heats, Structure and Fero armor so I have a fairly light load. I've got dual four medium lasers and two small lasers. So my crunch is actually fairly significant. I just have to really watch my heat. Alpha striking mid air can cause some huge issues. Unfortunately I'm having a problem with the Mech itself. It seems to fast for me to handle easily. I really have to focus to do any damage.

I'm running pretty much the same build on mine. Removed all but 1 of the jump jets (they're unnecessary now anyways), and I didn't go with FF -- but loaded the remaining space with DHS's. With laserboats, I've always found it helpful to group the weapons into 2 groups. You can still alpha by popping both buttons at the same time, but if you keep the 2SL's on a seperate group, that helps to manage things when your heat builds up (without having to bother with chain fire).

#50 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

You can try it with 4 mlas and a tag After you get the elite level you can't hardly overheat it at all. Plus you can tag while you're out there square dancing and help your team's damage output. I use the 280XL cause it's fast enough for a jenner 129 and it'll fit in about 5 other mech chassis.

#51 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

I avoid Ferro-Fiberous on lights, I don't feel that the difference is that noticeable, and it makes repairs pricier than they really need to be.

Raven 2X with 4 medium lasers and a Standard 200 engine worked wonders for me. Dealing PPC damage with [less] heat, fast enough to book it when it got too dicey, and dirt cheap repair bills all in one convenient little package.

Edited by Malzel, 10 November 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#52 Gulinborsti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 185 posts
  • LocationVienna/Austria

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I started out with a Jenner JR7-D and ended up running all 3 Jenner variants in this configurations:

JR7-D: Ferro, Endo, 2xML, 2xSL, 2xSSRM2, AMS, 2xJJ, XL Engine 280
JR7-F: Ferro, Endo, DHS, 4xML, 2xSL, AMS, 1xJJ, XL Engine 300
JR7-K: Ferro, Endo, 2xML, 2xSL, 1xSRM4, AMS, 1xJJ, XL Engine 300

The XL Engine 300 is a bit of an overkill (espacially once you unlocked the Elite "Speed Tweak") and makes it harder to aim in tight circling engagements with other fast lights, but that extra speed is great to harrass heavier mechs.

The JR7-F with DHS can easily handle the heat of 4xML and in the rare situations of heat problems you can still use the 2xSL until heat is fine again.

With all this expensive gear my income is not really high with an average of 105k C-Bills per match and repair costs between 20-70k. A match loss with getting killed on the JR7-D hardly covers my ammo and repair expenses.

When I started to play a week ago I got wasted a great many times. But lately I end up with 1 (or sometimes even 2 kills) more often, espacially with the All-Energy JR7-F and overall I keep earning C-Bills.

Summary: The Jenner in all 3 variants is an easy to handle and versatile light mech, very beginner friendly and great fun once you find out how to play it.

Edited by Gulinborsti, 10 November 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#53 Velah

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

I am currently running Raven-3L. It is best choice if you don't like jenners, but still want to be effective light. It is a bit expensive, but Raven 3L allows you to mount 295XL engine (other two models allows 245 maximum, I don't know why PGI made these strange restrictions) to have 136.5 km/h (146.8 km/h with elite speed tweak).
Loadout:
238 Armor (Ferro-fibrous if you want to free up 1 ton, but repair bills going to be insane)
XL-engine 295 + 1 inner mounted heatsink
Endo-steel
Double heatsinks
AMS + 1 ton of ammo
2 x Streak SRM + 2 tons of ammo
3 x Medium Laser (1 in torso, 2 in arm)
-- Heat efficiency: 1.22 (enough, if you manage heat right)

#54 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

grinding a Com 1B standard engine ain't too bad, but I recommend to avoid expensive tech for that mech. So go basic , like Med laser x3, and at least 160 armor.

A Streak x3 SRM2 Commando also benefits from a single Med Laser, but also from ferro and endo to get more ammo for matches and AMS + 1 ton ammo for utility + a C.A.S.E., but it lacks proper armor to do anything but support other mechs when against a faster mech.

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 10 November 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#55 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostAkalaOubli, on 07 November 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Before reading any guides or anything on the forums I went with my gut. The 6 laser hard point Jenner with jump jets. Unfortunately heat is a major problem even with small lasers instead of mediums. Anyone willing to give me there loadout for this monster?

I had good results with the 6 small laser jenner. remove jump jets and replace with armor and heatsinks. Also, I put one arm (3 SL's) on LMB group 1 and the other arm on RMB as group 2. Its still a little hot but staggering the firing by spreading them out to 2 mouse buttons helps a bit

#56 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Always.... I MEAN ALWAYS use that 1 jump jet in any mech that can use them,
as of now you only need the 1, that will not always be the case.
JJ's are really important in game play.

Edited by Cybermech, 11 November 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#57 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

I entirely agree with the posts promoting the Hunchback as the ideal first mech (SP varient). While a fully upgraded Jenner is a spectacular mech (and might be the meanest per ton of any mech), the total cost of a tricked out jenner is closer to the cost of a loaded out Altlas than that of a hunchback or centurion, by the time you pay for an XL engine, endosteel, and maybe double heat sinks.

On the other hand, using basically any combination of Small/Med Lasers and SRMs with a Hunchie should be effective. The Hunchback is a better than even (IMO) match (at about the same price) for the stock Jenner, and never requires an XL upgrade (it's actually counter to survivability). With a cheap STD upgrade (say 240 or similar) and double heatsinks (or endosteel, or both), the Hunchie is fast enough and mean enough to give Atlases or Awsomes trouble, yet it doesn't risk the expensive repair bills (and side torso kills) of an XL engine or arm mounted autocannon.

If you use SSRMs, you add a bit to the price, but give yourself a moderately effective way of keeping small mechs off your back.

In short, I think the Hunchback falls in a bit of a C-bill farming sweet spot. Cheap to get, cheap to use, cheap to fix, and more effective than anything else at it's price.

As for the Jenner, I personally think a good move is to decide between it (the Jenner), the catapult, and the Atlas for your second mech, depending on your play style (all will be 8-12 Mil C-bills when tricked out).

#58 BOOMLegShot

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Personally I would advise people not to bother with light mechs until they can also afford an engine that will let you exceed 110kph. You're just too slow to survive otherwise.

#59 AsakuraZero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostVelah, on 10 November 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

I am currently running Raven-3L. It is best choice if you don't like jenners, but still want to be effective light. It is a bit expensive, but Raven 3L allows you to mount 295XL engine (other two models allows 245 maximum, I don't know why PGI made these strange restrictions) to have 136.5 km/h (146.8 km/h with elite speed tweak).
Loadout:
238 Armor (Ferro-fibrous if you want to free up 1 ton, but repair bills going to be insane)
XL-engine 295 + 1 inner mounted heatsink
Endo-steel
Double heatsinks
AMS + 1 ton of ammo
2 x Streak SRM + 2 tons of ammo
3 x Medium Laser (1 in torso, 2 in arm)
-- Heat efficiency: 1.22 (enough, if you manage heat right)

because mechs start to teleport after that speed, thanks the netcode because of that, also many mechs were too fast for their design.

#60 The Mecha Streisand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostAsakuraZero, on 11 November 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

because mechs start to teleport after that speed, thanks the netcode because of that, also many mechs were too fast for their design.
Thus, no Locust? Or is that a product of the legal matters?

I'm running a Raven 2x and trying to grind up for a new xl engine. Got 2 MLAS and a PPC, which is great for headshots. At 13 heat sinks, it's adequate. But this thing needs better speed--81 just isn't getting me back out of harm's way fast enough. Tried the Commando, but I hate losing arms so quickly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users