Favorite past Mechwarrior game

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite MW game (146 member(s) have cast votes)

What was your favorite Mechwarrior PC game?

1. Mechwarrior (7 votes [4.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.79%

2. Voted Mechwarrior 2 with expansion (18 votes [12.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.33%

3. Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries (38 votes [26.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.03%

4. Voted Mechwarrior 3 with expansion (38 votes [26.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.03%

5. Mechwarrior 4 with expansions (11 votes [7.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.53%

6. Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries (34 votes [23.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MadCat816

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

And what did it for you !?

#2 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Easily MW2: Mercenaries.

Huge selection of mechs, wide variety of missions, and battles that actually felt epic.

Also, they let you drive a hover tank. Nothing is better than ramming a Firemoth in a hover tank.

#3 NPComplete

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIf there's a bright center to the universe, I'm on the planet that it's farthest from

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

I liked MW3. It had a good selection of mechs and customization. I enjoyed the single player game a lot.

Although it is not a MechWARRIOR game, I feel a need to mention MechCommander. MechCommander Gold was may favorite BT game.

#4 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,202 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Best story:
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (I really love the end-of-succession-wars/begining-of-clan-invasion era)

Best combat system:
Mechwarrior 3 (surpassed now by MWO)

I must give some credits to Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries for the Solaris games and Mechwarrior 2 for the movies and epic feel.

I would trade my car for an AAA remake of MW2: Mercs by PGI.

#5 Guchion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Mercs by far, especially after the titanium edition changes that gave it a proper feeling of economy. Nothing like fighting in a hard won Clan mech you have patched together from salvage!

#6 Hodo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Mechwarrior, because it was the closest to Battletech, and Multiplayer Battletech.

#7 BlackJackRaider

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThe nordic hinterland of the Midwest

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

I want to vote for a hybrid monster. I loved the inclusion of lore in 2, plus it had the most badassed soundtrack of just about any game I've played since then. I thought the game play in 3 was the best of any of the old on disk games (we'll see how it stacks up to MWO), in part because of my love in long range sniping. Gameplay-wise, 4 was a disappointment to me. I completely lost the sense of piloting a giant robot in that game, which was definitely present in 2 and 3. Also, the story/mission design in 4 was to me a clear step back compared to the excellent design of 2 and 3. However, I did like the mechlab in 4 better than in the earlier games, because I actually like the hard point system.

So my vote is 3's gameplay+2's soundtrack+4's mechlab.

#8 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Close race between MW2 (3dfx edition :D ) and MW3, but ultimately MW3 had the best feel. Pirates Moon was a great addition. I just wish it was a more mod-friendly game. Over ten years have passed and still no mods worth mentioning. Only thing that really bothered me was the way the TimberWolf looked in-game. I think they gave the art department a little too much freedom with that one... Especially considering their version of it in the intro looked perfectly fine.

View PostBlackJackRaider, on 11 September 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

Gameplay-wise, 4 was a disappointment to me. I completely lost the sense of piloting a giant robot in that game, which was definitely present in 2 and 3.

Nice to see it coming from someone else for a change.

#9 Affinity Ward

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

I personally loved mechwarrior 4 and 4 mercs, Put in many hours each day tinkering with the mechlab just as much as running around in the mechs themselves. Also loved the way you could control your mechs other systems like independent arm movements and coolant management. And the feel of the game idk just felt good to pilot a shadowcat.

#10 ChaosAptom

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

MW2:Mercs
After the patches it was really hard and still fun to play.

#11 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

I REALLY loved mercs after mektek got it's hands on it. The huge mech selection, the HUD changes, they eventually put in the line of sight targeting like we see in MWO, etc etc, I really loved it.

#12 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

MW2: Mercs.

Perfect graphics, the mercenary gameplay, very good story and unforgettable moments, the biggest amount of vehicles in MW game ever and 3049 centric (not Clans all the time) era.

Followed by MW4, but that's only because it's what got me into Mechwarrior and I was looking at the Mercs trailer as a little kid... yeah, even pretending to be that super cool, dakka dakka mech and crocodile looking one (Masakari and Daishi, if my memory serves right). :D

#13 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Haven't played MW2/MW2 Mercs yet, so I'll go with MW3. Looked great for it's time, great customisation, great combat.

The first MW was just too simple, spamming Missiles could get you through every mission.
MW4 was too much point&click and bigger = better. Hardpoint system was somewhat interesting though.

#14 MadCat816

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Personally I favor MW3 once coupled with the expansion. The ease of loading your mech and customization options would allow you to sit there forever tinkering with your fave mech in that game. But MW2 mercs.. man when I held that box as a youngin and tinkering with the mechlab you really felt like you were in a dark mech facility readying your wrecking machine.

#15 brendabub

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

Mechwarrior 2 is my favorite one and i have played it so many times.

Edited by brendabub, 19 September 2012 - 01:15 AM.

#16 Kantoken

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIn your closet, under your bed

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

Too bad I couldn't select Mechcommander, but yeah, technically it's not a MechWARRIOR game.

So, for Mechwarrior, its part 2, Mercenaries. Not because of it being the best/nicest/fluffiest, but it was the first I could play on my then pc without problems. The music, the sound, the graphics, it was awesome.
It confirmed that my interest in the Battletech universe was justified.

#17 Sause

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

MW2 Mercenaries by far

Is it still possible to play this on win xp or 7?

#18 Moober

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

MW2 Mercenaries. The game play was superb. I still remember this being one of the first games to use OpenGL and take advantage of my Diamond Monster 1 video card. Games have come a long way obviously, but the gameplay was epic. I was very dissapointed in MW3.

#19 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

I wanted to vote for MechCommander.

#20 WithSilentWings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

MW2 Mercs. The story, the atmosphere, the micromanagement (you need to stock up on ammo if you want to use that AC20 on a long contract!!!).

I loved how you could buy and salvage and build your team from scratch by hiring pilots. I loved the back story written in the ComStar terminal that let you know what was going on in the universe and gave subtle hints as to the Clan invasion.

I loved the mission where you steal a Kodiak!! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users