127 replies to this topic

#1 Cattra Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

From Roberts Space Industries, the same guy behind the classic Wing Commander series brings us a new space simulator. All I can say is yes, Yes, and YES! Can't wait until more comes to light but it looks promising!

I know a lot of Mech fans, myself included, really enjoyed the classic Wing commander series so I thought I would share this.

Full 5 minute trailer;

Edited by Cattra Kell, 10 October 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#2 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

And:

http://www.gamespot....c_panel20121010

Really quite amazing.

#3 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

:)

#4 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

As more details come forward I get more and more excited about this. Next thing you know they announce Mark Hamill plays every character and voices everything.

#5 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

I just saw this. I'm pumped. The space flight sim as been dead for far too long.

I've a veteran of Decent 1, 2 & 3, FreeSpace 1 & 2, StarLancer, WingCommander 1-5, and even FreeLancer

Freespace 2 is probably the best game of all time.

#6 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Just watched the 5 minute trailer. I'm having goosebumps all over!

I just hope he achieves his goal for financing the game.

Edit: Here is the full length trailer for Star Citizen. Which is the actual name of the game. Squadron 42 is just the single player part.

Edited by Egomane, 10 October 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#7 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Wow, that looks awesome!

#8 Krush Kill N Destroy

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Reminds me so much of the good old days I had on Freelancer. Im glad I my golden ticket when I enlisted pre-announcement for this game! Can't wait.

Edited by Krush Kill N Destroy, 10 October 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#9 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

I already love the soundtrack! Now I just need to get my creditcard, to get my package and help founding.

Oh... and the server for robertsspaceindustries is currently overwhelmed by an accidental denial of service attack, of guys like me and him...

Posted Image

Edited by Egomane, 10 October 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#10 Ori Klein

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Already made my pledge. Last I managed to make contact with the website they were already at 10% of the total goal (2 mil, before stretch goals).

SPREAD THE WORD! THIS MUST HAPPEN!

http://www.gamespot....c_panel20121010

The GDC panel with Chris talking about it in a very nerdy stream of conscious non-PR way with much support for the PC. I LOVE HIM!

#11 ShotgunWillie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Looks a lot like Sol: Exodus to me (which was fun to play).

#12 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Sol:Exodus does not even begin to compete in the same league as the old Wing Commander, Starlancer or Privateer games of Chris Roberts. Comparing them, is like comparing an old Vokswagen to a brand new Ferrari. Both will bring you from point A to point B and both can be fun to drive, but the Ferrari simply feels, sounds and looks better. (I hate car comparisons, but I had to make one. Sorry!)

I have nothing against Sol:Exodus, but in comparison to the past games of Chris it is dull and unimaginative. It did try to keep the space sim genre alive, but that is all the praise I could give.

Edit: One more video! This time Chris Roberts presenting the game and talking about what he wants to achieve with it.

Edited by Egomane, 10 October 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#13 glycerin

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX, USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

so awesome! must have more!

I want more details about what comes in the packages before I put forth money. Trying to decide between the $60 and $125 pack

#14 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Wing Commander was baoss! Loved all those games along with Xwing & Tie Fighter. Can't wait for this one!

#15 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm all over this

#16 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

If he pulls off the player-driven universe like EVE did... this is gonna rock.

#17 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

great potential and i'm glad they're at least being realistic with their time line Late 2014... which seems forever away but to do all that they're proposing that seems more than reasonable. I'll plop down $30 for it. At least they're going more for a Guild Wars 2 style release, ie box version supported by micro transactions rather than F2P.

#18 Vactus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

Been watchiing the RSI site almost since it went live. I was so happy about the announcement yesterday. Mmmmmm Wing Commander.

#19 Creed Buhallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Loved everything Wing Commander, and sorely miss the space sim genre.

But... as cool as this looks, I have to say I'm extremely skeptical that they can pull off even a quarter of what's proposed. Network lag makes tracking solid-body hits unreliable, and they're going to model hits to individual components the size of those thrusters? Machine performance in anything shy of top-line runs into problems when they're just keeping track of solid bodies and not acting as full-blown physics simulators. And that doesn't even touch on the actual gameplay - open world "Let the players do what they want" always sounds good on paper, but in reality tends to descend into a jerk-dominated cesspit unless it's very carefully managed. And 2014 is not even remotely a realistic timeline - Star Trek Online ran a 2-year development cycle only after relying on pre-existent work acquired from Perpetual, and was roundly bashed on launch as being undercooked. It wasn't trying to do a tenth of what this is.

I'm watching it, but right now giving them money is about like buying fairy dust. It's got pretty much every red flag you might attach to a software project.

#20 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 10 October 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

I just saw this. I'm pumped. The space flight sim as been dead for far too long.

I've a veteran of Decent 1, 2 & 3, FreeSpace 1 & 2, StarLancer, WingCommander 1-5, and even FreeLancer

Freespace 2 is probably the best game of all time.

Yes, damn yes brother!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users