#42 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

View PostCattra Kell, on 10 October 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

From Roberts Space Industries, the same guy behind the classic Wing Commander series brings us a new space simulator. All I can say is yes, Yes, and YES! Can't wait until more comes to light but it looks promising!

I know a lot of Mech fans, myself included, really enjoyed the classic Wing commander series so I thought I would share this.

Full 5 minute trailer;

I was already waiting for someone to post it so I wouldn't have to. ;)

I've never played wing commander.
I do have starlancer, but that game requires a flight stick with more buttons than a keyboard. ;)
So I never got past the first mission.

My opinion about Star Citizen:

View PostEgomane, on 10 October 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Posted Image

#43 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

You can now back this project on kick starter for those that would rather do it that way. I pledged through their main web page.

http://www.kickstart...ig/star-citizen

http://www.robertssp...m/star-citizen/

#44 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Between Star Citizen and MWO people be taking my money and I am so glad.

SC got $250 and MWO gets my wow sub as soon as OB starts/Annual Pass expires Monday.

I really hope he hits the 5+ million mark too.

#45 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

The Kickstarter site might rob a few bucks from the RSI site's own crowd-sourcing, but nevertheless, its effect is quite positive on overall funding, getting the word out on another site. The Kickstarter total is not only about a third of their goal in less than a day, but Kickstarter's growth is currently matching or exceeding the average growth for the past few days on RSI, which I've been at least haphazardly keeping track of (they've been averaging somewhere between 3k-4k/hour). RSI is making money at a rate least sufficient to make the $2 million goal, with a decent probability of the $3 million goal. With Kickstarter, I'd be surprised if they make any less than $1 million given the rate it's going at.

Edited by Catamount, 19 October 2012 - 05:42 AM.

#46 Bansheedragon75

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

I was just thinking of making a post about this game myself when I saw this.
I have been waiting for a real space sim like this ever since Wing Commander and Freespace, and I already made my pledge to support the game.
I'm very excited about the game and cant think of anyone better suited to make a game like this than Chris Roberts himself.
I have been following the game ever since its announcement, and really hope they can make it.

#47 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Just found out about this, loved the Wing Commander and Privateer games. I just hope I can still make time for MWO once it comes out :P .

#48 SJ Osiris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 13 October 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Don't fall in love too quickly. Wing Commander has lore and fluff just like BT and it spans several games within the same universe.
There are aliens (Kilrathi) and there are Merchants, Mercs, Freelancers, Pirates, the Navy, guilds, lots of ships, classes and customization. You'd be crazy to assume that there are no stumbling blocks.

Just to clarify if anyone else swings by here and is interested in Star Citizen, it is not in the same universe as Privateer/Wing Commander or any other of Chris Robert's games. So there won't be any discrepancies in the lore because it is all new. That's not saying there will be no similarities to the previous games, after all the same man is making this one. He just won't be limited to how a spaceship, weapon, or faction was in another, older game.

#49 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

EA still own the rights to Wing Commander so they cannot use it for Squadron 42/Star Citizen but apart from that it seems to be very similar. Names for systems, planets, ship types etc. reused. Looking at the trailer and reading the fluff it seems to be WC/Privateer in spirit if not licence.

#50 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

I'll be pitching in shortly. Can't let you guys hog all the fun alone, can I? =)

#51 Bansheedragon75

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostFiachdubh, on 20 October 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

EA still own the rights to Wing Commander so they cannot use it for Squadron 42/Star Citizen but apart from that it seems to be very similar. Names for systems, planets, ship types etc. reused. Looking at the trailer and reading the fluff it seems to be WC/Privateer in spirit if not licence.

I think Chris said somewhere that this game is a spiritual successor to WC/Privateer.
As you say, EA still holds the licenses to those games so they cant use any of the material from those games in this game.
As such there is nothing to prevent Chris from creating the game he wants as he dont have any rules or lore from previous games to adhere to.

#52 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

kickstarter invested by me [X]

#53 Bansheedragon75

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Kickstarter just hit the 500.000 goal.
Add to that the 1.3 millin at RIS and we are looking at 1.8 million so far and still almost 4 weeks left.

Edited by Dragonlord, 23 October 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#54 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

Wish they would explain whats the difference between the ships in the kickstarter.

#55 Bansheedragon75

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

More descriptions will come, its just taking them some time to work it all out.

#56 Heffae

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostEgomane, on 11 October 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Don't worry, you didn't push a button there. I could clearly see were the comparison came from and how it's been intended. It's just that I never would have thought of S:E as a comparison, because of how dull I thought that game is. I would have chosen its predecessors, because it shares some of the optical design decisions as well as some of their gameplay related ones (if the announced ones all make it into the game). Doesn't that Carrier in the trailer look a bit like a Bengal Class Carrier of the Wing Commander series for example.
Posted Image

But everyone has a different taste. Be it food, beverage, women, guys, potato chips or games. I loved some of the worst rated games ever made and I hated a lot of the top rated ones.

Edit: And now I completly forgot what I intended to write, because I had to answer your post, Willie. :D
Some things I (and by now a lot of others) have noticed in the 5 minute game trailer:
- We start in the Vega Sector, just like we did in Wing Commander.
- The Carrier has the name of one of Chris Roberts Co-Workers in previous games, Paul Steed. Paul died in august this year.
- The enemy fighters look a lot like Kilrathi designs and in fact there is the symbol of the Kilrathi empire on the radar screen on the bridge of the carrier, when they attack.

You can see the Confed logo on the big radar globe on the bridge (It's also used as the game logo)
On at least two display screen the Good Guy ships show up with the name Hornet, the first fighter class you get to fly in WCI. And not only does the carrier look like a Bengal class ship. The opening text says it's a Bengal class ship.
Along with the stuff you pointed out I wonder if Roberts is using this stuff as a place holder, if he retains some rights to Wing Commander, or if he is about to be sued into the ground by EA.

Personally I hope he still has some WC rights and the day before launch they announce that Star Citizen was a code name and this is actually a relaunch of Wing Commander.

#57 DrCapon

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

no ship or station building from what I see so far, if there's not, not interested

#58 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

yup, looks awesome...

and it better be awesome, I pledged 250$ on day 1 :D

#59 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostDragonlord, on 23 October 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

More descriptions will come, its just taking them some time to work it all out.

What sucks is some of those kickstarter options have limited qtys and i'd like to know what ships what before i buy one.

#60 Bansheedragon75

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

We have some updates coming VERY soon that you've all be waiting for.

For everyone in Europe, they will be waiting for you when you wake up!

Chris comment on Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstart...itizen/comments

So it sounds like sometime tomorrow.

View PostDrCapon, on 23 October 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

no ship or station building from what I see so far, if there's not, not interested

This is a Space Combat sim, not a building sim.
EVE has ship and station building if thats what you want.

Edited by Dragonlord, 23 October 2012 - 06:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users