Squadron 42 / Star Citizen

127 replies to this topic

#81 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

One last video message before the closure of the crowdfounding. (sorry I am a little late with that)

#82 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'd just like to see one of these million dollar old man game designer games actually get finished. So far the only one posting frequent updates is the SpaceVenture KS.

#83 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

http://www.robertssp...m/star-citizen/

They recently updated their stretch goals. If it hits 4 million you can get out of your ship and use melee :) :) :D

WHY HAVENT YOU BOUGHT THIS YET

#84 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostIcebound, on 15 November 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

http://www.robertssp...m/star-citizen/

They recently updated their stretch goals. If it hits 4 million you can get out of your ship and use melee :) :) :D

WHY HAVENT YOU BOUGHT THIS YET

Because nothing cool has come out of any KS project that earned over 500k yet.

#85 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Quite frankly, that's a risk I'm willing to take if it means there's a possibility the space combat sim genre could be revived again. It's a genre almost as ignored and neglected as the Mechwarrior type games have been the last decade thanks to the big publishers only being interested in making clones of the "latest big commercial hit".

If that means I have to risk some of my disposable income on a project which may or may not come to fruition then, hey, worth it as far as I'm concerned just for the possibility that it'll get made.

#86 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Or you could let every other slobbering sod throw money in a pit and actually buy the ones that get made and aren't absolute **** when they are finally released.

#87 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

You could, but if everyone thought like that then nobody would put their money down and it would be guaranteed not to be funded. Someone has to be willing to take the risk for it to have any chancce of working. If you don't feel like spending your money then there's nothing wrong with that. Your choice and a quite understandable one. Personally I feel I can afford it and choose to do so while fully aware that I may or may not be disappointed.

#88 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 15 November 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

You could, but if everyone thought like that then nobody would put their money down and it would be guaranteed not to be funded. Someone has to be willing to take the risk for it to have any chancce of working. If you don't feel like spending your money then there's nothing wrong with that. Your choice and a quite understandable one. Personally I feel I can afford it and choose to do so while fully aware that I may or may not be disappointed.

The only KS projects I've put money down for have working demos or PoC. Some washed-up 50 year old man saying like "yeah yeah it should totally have this thing, and ooh that thing would be totally cool" just doesn't make an investment worth it. Like all those chumps who put money down for an Ouya when they guys making it had 0 technical expertise and no PoC.

#89 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

The thing is

EVERYONE knows Christ Robert...

or at least everyone who plays space sim

same way as EVERYONE knows Tim Schafer if they are adventure games fans...

because these are not some unknown (unless if ur the newer generation that were not born yet during the golden age of games when these fella are making the old classics) dudes... these are the old guru of the genre that made a good chunk of the classic titles of the genre.

note: incidentally, Star Citizen already has a working system... check the video for the ones they have completed thus far... including the flight mechanism.

Edited by Melcyna, 15 November 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#90 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostMelcyna, on 15 November 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

The thing is

EVERYONE knows Christ Robert...

or at least everyone who plays space sim

same way as EVERYONE knows Tim Schafer if they are adventure games fans...

because these are not some unknown (unless if ur the newer generation that were not born yet during the golden age of games when these fella are making the old classics) dudes... these are the old guru of the genre that made a good chunk of the classic titles of the genre.

note: incidentally, Star Citizen already has a working system... check the video for the ones they have completed thus far... including the flight mechanism.

Oh I know him. Same as I know Al Lowe, Tim Schafer, Mark Crowe/Scott Murphy, Jane Jenson, Brian Fargo, whatever.

Point is, PoC and Demos are a necessity before handing over money. KS has no guarantees that a guy who hasn't made a relevant game in 10+ years won't just **** off with your cash. There is no contract, there are no safeguards.

#91 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Indeed, which is why they are putting the videos of what they've done thus far which u can check yourselves to see how likely you think it will be...

to date though, the only thing Christ Roberts made that i was not satisfied was Freelancer (and there are fans of it that will argue otherwise)... that was about it...

everything else he made has been pretty much golden as far as space sim is concerned, so given his track record in the past and what they've shown... i don't see why i or any space sims fan would not support it.

ESPECIALLY since there is no space sim genre left ... no publishers will ever take it seriously, so it's not like we have much of a choice either way.

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 15 November 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

KS has no guarantees that a guy who hasn't made a relevant game in 10+ years won't just **** off with your cash.

That's also fine, you know why? The last great space sim was 13 years ago... Freespace 2, the pinnacle of space combat sim and adrenaline pumping space dogfight.

there hasn't been a SINGLE space sim afterwards that come close to it... not Freelancer, not X series, not a single one.

so given the choice of games made of recent style and trend and one that is based on the classic space combat? We'll take the later because no one of recent times knows how to make them..

Edited by Melcyna, 15 November 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#92 Darth JarJar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, U.S.A.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Nice find!

#93 ZefNinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 120 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Epic I pledged! Shot Egomane for the link here. So Pirate or alliance based?

Freelancer was epic, just Microsoft ruined the MP side due to them rushing off into console titles and leaving Roberts on his ***

I put the money down as a High Risk investment. I go out in one night and spend more than that p*ssing it up against a wall. If it fails, its another sad face for the reboot of the RTS Space fighter sim genre

Edited by ZefNinja, 16 November 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#94 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

The founding annihilated the 4 million mark in the past hours and is now going strong towards the 4.5 million overall stretchgoal that will unlock all Kickstarter stretchgoals, even those not yet revealed, and give us a playable destroyer class ship.

Only 56 hours left to help getting this game come along and securing your alpha and beta access along with your citizenship.

In case you haven't found the links to make your pledge yet, here they are:
Primary site: http://www.robertssp...om/star-citizen
Kickstarter: http://www.kickstart...ig/star-citizen

Edited by Egomane, 17 November 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#95 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

Founding passed the 4.5 million mark. I doubt, that we will reach the 5.5 millions that would enable the players to own and fly a bengal carrier class ship, but the goal of 5 million should be doable.

There is now a field in your profile, where you can enter your original referrer, so they get credit for bringing you to Star Citizen and have a chance of winning the referal contest. You haver to enter their email adress or their username into the field. As that is now possible, I am no longer against referal links to RSI. All those of you, that pledged to SC because of Cattra Kell or me, if you want to do us a favor, head over to RSI, enter your profile and enter Cattras (I hope you have the same name over there) or my name into the field, so we get a chance on some of those goodies.

#96 Wolfcp

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Exactly one day left until the end of the campaign, and they are only $300k away from 5 million. Think they can make it?

Also, fun fact, the current average amount pledged is $67.4, more than what the retail "box" version should be.

Edited by Wolfcp, 18 November 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#97 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

"Telethon style" Live Feed of the last 24 hours of the drive is going up now.

Edit: They are having Technical Difficulties

http://www.ustream.t...nnel/banditloaf
http://www.ustream.t...nnel/wingmanCGI
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mci66
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mci67

#98 Ori Klein

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

We're almost there! Spread the word out, help push it over the edge!

Chris Roberts & Co with us alongside are breaking crowd funding world record and setting a mark down in history. Currently over 4.7M and climbing up to $5M (Obsidian's Project Eternity raised $4M, 3.9M in kickstater + 0.1M in paypal).

Lets help Star Citizen make history and with it revive the Space Sim genre and prove to everyone once and for all that the PC is far from dead!

PGI have disappointed me and I doubt MWO will go anywhere. But Star Citizen is our promised land and nothing but bright future.

Lets show everyone what it means to us to have a game that utilizes the PC to the limit, breaks in all the console trash and caters to the players, for the players by dev the actually listen to the players!

#99 Ori Klein

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

LOL, overload of fans crashed the website, live chat and ustream again.

#100 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

I didn't believe we could make it, but now ...
10 hours left and we are at 5.434.238 $. Only 65.762 $ more and we will be able to buy and fly a Bengal Class Carrier in the game.

I can't wait for the Alpha to start. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users