• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

View Postmachine, on 23 October 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

kickstarter invested by me [X]

View PostDragonlord, on 23 October 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Kickstarter just hit the 500.000 goal.
Add to that the 1.3 millin at RIS and we are looking at 1.8 million so far and still almost 4 weeks left.

it was all me.

#62 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Chris hinted at a derelict station, a mine and presumably free ships to grab out there. You can read it all on his page, just don't ask me where exactly lol. That's definitely good news for the X fans out there. Besides, they can go even more crazy once the mod tools become freely available as planned. It is quite impressive what that particular community has achieved in the past years. At that point (or before) I hope to see some BT fans come together and build a mod that we could possibly use alongside MWO to resolve space battles prior to a planetary invasion.

#63 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostDragonlord, on 23 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Chris comment on Kickstarter.
http://www.kickstart...itizen/comments

So it sounds like sometime tomorrow.

This is a Space Combat sim, not a building sim.
EVE has ship and station building if thats what you want.

And X3 has both. I'm just saying it's doable.

#64 Hakkukakt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSuisse / Lausanne

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

hi ... see it .. interesting ... i will follow the news on this sim game

#65 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

View PostSybreed, on 23 October 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

And X3 has both. I'm just saying it's doable.

Yep, though unfortunately X3 was... well... not very bright combat wise, an unfortunate case considering it's predecessor X2 was actually quite fun.

Strictly speaking though we don't exactly need some full manufacturing capability and what not ala X series... even just Privateer style is sufficient, and that was a great fun...

#66 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostMelcyna, on 24 October 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Yep, though unfortunately X3 was... well... not very bright combat wise, an unfortunate case considering it's predecessor X2 was actually quite fun.

Strictly speaking though we don't exactly need some full manufacturing capability and what not ala X series... even just Privateer style is sufficient, and that was a great fun...

I'll be honest here, I never played Privateer :(

But I love X3's building/crafting. It feels really nice to set your whole operation going. Ya know, get 1-2 transports to haul in materials, then 1 or 2 to sell them to the highest bidder. Or, you could just lower your price enough so that AI transports came and bought your stuff themselves. In my last game, I had at least 10 factories going just like that, with around 8 universal traders. Money was coming from everywhere.

#67 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

dear pgi please ofrgive me but i will now be splitin my money 50/50

#68 Minos Murdoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

SO WANT THIS. Already donated on kickstarter and cant wait for it to come out. when i was younger i mainly played MW and Space sims (wing commander, Freespace, X-wing/Tie fighter series) its about time someone renewed this fantastic genera

#69 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

@Mel
Strictly speaking you do not see the need. But tell that to the X and Eve community out there, which is looking forward to play and mod the hell out of this new game. Granted this might look like the game could lose focus, but that's the beauty of mods. Love 'em or leave 'em, nobody is forcing them down your neck. For reference, just check the art forum and see what the fans do to expand Alex' artwork already. Give this or any other dedicated community access to mod tools and we are drowning in quality content. GG.

Edited by CCC Dober, 24 October 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#70 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 24 October 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

@Mel
Strictly speaking you do not see the need. But tell that to the X and Eve community out there, which is looking forward to play and mod the hell out of this new game. Granted this might look like the game could lose focus, but that's the beauty of mods. Love 'em or leave 'em, nobody is forcing them down your neck. For reference, just check the art forum and see what the fans do to expand Alex' artwork already. Give this or any other dedicated community access to mod tools and we are drowning in quality content. GG.

Oh i am not saying that we don't welcome the ability to go above and beyond it of course... (mod or otherwise) as long as the game's core integrity is not compromised (naturally mod are exempt from most of them).

I am just saying that for the old timer space sim fans, even Privateer level is sufficient as a goal for the game itself (mods can go as wild as they want)

I'll be perfectly honest, i am quite wary of either X and Eve ideas... in the case of X mainly because X3 combat took a nose dive (and you can argue whether X3 design is what their fans preferred or not) and that's frankly the exact opposite of the direction space simmer were looking for. In the case of Eve, primarily because Eve is the exact opposite of fun combat at the crux and i doubt their fans can separate what's the best part of Eve and which that Eve is not quite good at.

Space simmer like me who grew up with Xwing, Wing Commander, Privateer, etc.. can live with less production capability and what not if it means the flight and combat mechanics is nailed right for the base game because frankly that is the main crux of space combat sim... (and one that Freelancer botched hardcore but there are fans of Freelancer too, even though i will not touch it with ten foot pole)

and that's ultimately what we've been looking for, a game that brings back the old excellent formula used in Wing Commander era space sims but with the modern tech visual.

The production and research or what not are secondary to the combat and flight mechanics...

#71 Bansheedragon75

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

From what I have read about the games and questions asked on the forums, it dont sound to me like Chris intend to add any major manufacturing stuff like X and EVE.
His vision is more in the direction of Wing Commander/Privateer style of gameplay.
Though there is mention of some form of production(crafting if you want) there are no specifics on it yet.

I'm not saying that the X and EVE style of manufacturing is a bad thing, just that its not something for every game.

If you have questions about these things, then take a look at the SC forums and ask your questions there as you can get direct answers there.

#72 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yep, and hence why i backed it...

I am pretty sure most of the Wing Commander fans backed it for similar reason...

It was one of the most important part we worried at the start.. ie: what kind of direction is Chris taking the game towards.
When we heard Chris name, we're looking for that old great work he did back in the day (except Freelancer, that didn't turn out so well)...

i certainly didn't back a project with his name on it to expect X or Eve, or anything else... instead of the classic Wing commander.

#73 Bansheedragon75

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

I found a response from Chris himself about the crafting in the game.

http://www.reddit.co...mmander/c6qa10k

As well as allot of discussion about crafting with hostility towards building ships and to crafting/manufacturing in general.

http://www.robertssp...orget-crafting/

Personally I backed this game for the space sim part in the style of Wing Commander/privateer.
The crafting/manufacturing part dont hold much interest for me, if any.

Edited by Dragonlord, 24 October 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#74 Pisces Proxima

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

The Wing Commander/Ultima 6 combo cd was the first PC game I ever played. MechWarrior and Wing Commander are the reasons why I even own a joystick to begin with. I owe my career in the game industry to the passion that Chris Roberts' titles instilled in me as a kid. ;)

#75 Bansheedragon75

• 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

There is a kickstarter Q&A summary up for those interrested.

http://ueen.net/scqa/

If you have questions check out the Q&A thread on RSI forums

http://www.robertssp...your-questions/

With a summary of the Q&A thread here.

http://www.robertssp...stions-summary/

#76 Hakkukakt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSuisse / Lausanne

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

well ... i reserved a ship for my part => mercenary :)

the sim mecha and the sim space pilot are the reason why i have buy a not cheap Hotas Thrustmaster Warthog :) (with 1 more that's the Hotas himself is a very beautiful mechanical art for me ^^)

#77 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

So for those who haven't been keeping close track of funding, Star Citizen has hit its $2 million. RSI and the secondary Kickstarter funding page have blown past this goal in their collective funding with 15/25 days left to go. I'm guessing they're going to hit about 3.5 million with this by the time Kickstarter ends, so they've hit undeniably success.

#78 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostMelcyna, on 24 October 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

Oh i am not saying that we don't welcome the ability to go above and beyond it of course... (mod or otherwise) as long as the game's core integrity is not compromised (naturally mod are exempt from most of them).

I am just saying that for the old timer space sim fans, even Privateer level is sufficient as a goal for the game itself (mods can go as wild as they want)

I'll be perfectly honest, i am quite wary of either X and Eve ideas... in the case of X mainly because X3 combat took a nose dive (and you can argue whether X3 design is what their fans preferred or not) and that's frankly the exact opposite of the direction space simmer were looking for. In the case of Eve, primarily because Eve is the exact opposite of fun combat at the crux and i doubt their fans can separate what's the best part of Eve and which that Eve is not quite good at.

Space simmer like me who grew up with Xwing, Wing Commander, Privateer, etc.. can live with less production capability and what not if it means the flight and combat mechanics is nailed right for the base game because frankly that is the main crux of space combat sim... (and one that Freelancer botched hardcore but there are fans of Freelancer too, even though i will not touch it with ten foot pole)

and that's ultimately what we've been looking for, a game that brings back the old excellent formula used in Wing Commander era space sims but with the modern tech visual.

The production and research or what not are secondary to the combat and flight mechanics...

Again, that's your opinion and I can even relate to that. Eve and X are/have become excessive in some aspects, while losing out totally in others. I won't deny that, it's true. Especially if you take Wing Commander, Privateer and Freelancer as references.

The problem with such a narrow definition of 'a good space sim' is the fact that Eve and X have added many great things to this genre and not just a little here and there. Lack of appreciation is not going to win fans and modders of both games over to the Star Citizen community, quite the opposite. Ofc. you don't really need to praise things that go against your better judgement. Just keep the bashing to a minimum or even better, refuse to do so and focus on the better aspects of both games. They certainly exist if you look close enough.

Cheers.

@Cat
According to the most recent poll, about 96% don't mind if the countdown is extended a bit. You can safely add a week minimum to your projections at this point =)

#79 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 25 October 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

@Cat
According to the most recent poll, about 96% don't mind if the countdown is extended a bit. You can safely add a week minimum to your projections at this point =)

I think that at minimum, the RSI site countdown should be extended to the end of the Kickstarter countdown to put both on the same page.

Beyond that, well we'll see. I hope there are more fundraising events down the road. Hitting that $5 million for these guys should be child's play.

#80 Draekros

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

Well they extended the RSI campaign to end with the KS campaign a couple of days ago or so. Also reached 1st KS stretch goal (every backer gets a class 1 repair bot). RSI site counter now shows total of RSI & KS pledges, and it's about 90k off getting a bomber added to the game (which I assume you'll have to save up for and buy with in-game credits once the persistent universe thing goes online).

They still haven't upgraded their god-awful forum software... maybe they're having some trouble migrating the data over to the new forum software...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users