Squadron 42 / Star Citizen

127 replies to this topic

#21 ShotgunWillie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostEgomane, on 10 October 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Sol:Exodus does not even begin to compete in the same league as the old Wing Commander, Starlancer or Privateer games of Chris Roberts. Comparing them, is like comparing an old Vokswagen to a brand new Ferrari. Both will bring you from point A to point B and both can be fun to drive, but the Ferrari simply feels, sounds and looks better. (I hate car comparisons, but I had to make one. Sorry!)

I have nothing against Sol:Exodus, but in comparison to the past games of Chris it is dull and unimaginative. It did try to keep the space sim genre alive, but that is all the praise I could give.

Seems I may have struck a chord there. I realize I was also a little short on my comparison there. I never intended to imply that Sol: Exodus was like Wing Commander or Starlancer.

What I should have said is that the ships and gameplay in Star Citizen/Squadron 42 look similar to the ships and gameplay in Sol: Exodus.

#22 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 10 October 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

I just saw this. I'm pumped. The space flight sim as been dead for far too long.

I've a veteran of Decent 1, 2 & 3, FreeSpace 1 & 2, StarLancer, WingCommander 1-5, and even FreeLancer

Freespace 2 is probably the best game of all time.

if you need something to scratch that itch try the x3 games reunion, terran conflict and cant remember hte third installment
the mod community for it is so huge that theres endless content to keep the game interesting

#23 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostShotgunWillie, on 11 October 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

Seems I may have struck a chord there. I realize I was also a little short on my comparison there. I never intended to imply that Sol: Exodus was like Wing Commander or Starlancer.

What I should have said is that the ships and gameplay in Star Citizen/Squadron 42 look similar to the ships and gameplay in Sol: Exodus.

Don't worry, you didn't push a button there. I could clearly see were the comparison came from and how it's been intended. It's just that I never would have thought of S:E as a comparison, because of how dull I thought that game is. I would have chosen its predecessors, because it shares some of the optical design decisions as well as some of their gameplay related ones (if the announced ones all make it into the game). Doesn't that Carrier in the trailer look a bit like a Bengal Class Carrier of the Wing Commander series for example.
Posted Image

But everyone has a different taste. Be it food, beverage, women, guys, potato chips or games. I loved some of the worst rated games ever made and I hated a lot of the top rated ones.

Edit: And now I completly forgot what I intended to write, because I had to answer your post, Willie. :D
Some things I (and by now a lot of others) have noticed in the 5 minute game trailer:
- We start in the Vega Sector, just like we did in Wing Commander.
- The Carrier has the name of one of Chris Roberts Co-Workers in previous games, Paul Steed. Paul died in august this year.
- The enemy fighters look a lot like Kilrathi designs and in fact there is the symbol of the Kilrathi empire on the radar screen on the bridge of the carrier, when they attack.
- The musical score is from the bad bad bad hasbro game inspired movie Battleship. It fits this trailer much better then the movie.
- When the enemy fighters attacked it looked like they were right on top of the carrier and would strike within seconds. But when the defense fighters start more then a minute later, they are suddenly coming in from the front. There is no combat during the launch of the fighters as you can clearly see from the bridge that no gun is firing or even aiming at something.
- Even during the battle, the front and rear hangar doors are constantly opening and then closing again. Who ever is sitting at those controls must be insane to open up such a vulnerability. :lol:
- During one of the enemy fly-overs all guns on the ship are suddenly back in parade mode, directly facing to the front or the sides and not firing at all, only to aim and fire in all directions a split second later when the we get a scene cut.
- The enemy fighters are using flaps to stabilize their flight in space (yeah sure). No jet even near it, so that maybe there is some directional thrust diverted by them. They just are just being moved up and down for no apparent reason.
- There are propelled air intakes in the front of the carrier fighters. Again... we are in deep space! :)

Even with the errors... I love the trailer and must have watched it twenty times or more by now.

Edited by Egomane, 11 October 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#24 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Been looking forward to this.

Cheers.

#25 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

A letter of Chris Roberts is online were he appologizes for the breakdown of the primary crowd founding website as well as the community portal. Everything will be back up and running soon.

http://www.robertssp...n-announcement/

Chris Roberts said:

We lost the opportunity to break the first day record, but the race isn’t over yet! We currently stand at $455, 590 raised from 4,564 pledges which is pretty impressive considering the outage we’ve had.

That is nearly a quarter of the minimum amount neccessary, to get the game development started, in just two days.

My favorite quote from the comments section of the above mentioned letter:

hstaphath said:

“I felt a great disturbance in the Internet… as if millions of voices suddenly cried out ‘SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY’ and the RSI server was horribly obliterated.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi

#26 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

I just want to know if we will be able to pilot a ship like that carrier. That would make my day.

#27 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

Killer app in the making. I'm looking forward to see this one take off :huh:

#28 Imagine Dragons

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

View PostEgomane, on 12 October 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

A letter of Chris Roberts is online were he appologizes for the breakdown of the primary crowd founding website as well as the community portal. Everything will be back up and running soon.

http://www.robertssp...n-announcement/

That is nearly a quarter of the minimum amount neccessary, to get the game development started, in just two days.

My favorite quote from the comments section of the above mentioned letter:

Best RSI comment quote.

#29 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Who's gonna bet that a whole motherlode of Eve players have earmarked or invested into this game already? ^^

#30 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

View Postdal10, on 12 October 2012 - 07:08 AM, said:

I just want to know if we will be able to pilot a ship like that carrier. That would make my day.

I don't know about the carrier, but ...

robertsspaceindustries said:

On larger ships, friends can join you to man turrets, repair systems, or switch with you on the pilot's chair. Think the Millennium Falcon with Han-Solo piloting and Luke on the turret.

A lot of questions can be answered here.

#31 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

yeah, I saw that. I just want to know if it is limited to a 4-5 crew ship or you can pilot battleships and the like.

#32 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

I know that I saw something about controling the turrets of capital ships. I'll see if I can find it again. I realy don't know about piloting them.

#33 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostEgomane, on 11 October 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Don't worry, you didn't push a button there. I could clearly see were the comparison came from and how it's been intended. It's just that I never would have thought of S:E as a comparison, because of how dull I thought that game is. I would have chosen its predecessors, because it shares some of the optical design decisions as well as some of their gameplay related ones (if the announced ones all make it into the game). Doesn't that Carrier in the trailer look a bit like a Bengal Class Carrier of the Wing Commander series for example.
Posted Image

But everyone has a different taste. Be it food, beverage, women, guys, potato chips or games. I loved some of the worst rated games ever made and I hated a lot of the top rated ones.

Edit: And now I completly forgot what I intended to write, because I had to answer your post, Willie. :)
Some things I (and by now a lot of others) have noticed in the 5 minute game trailer:
- We start in the Vega Sector, just like we did in Wing Commander.
- The Carrier has the name of one of Chris Roberts Co-Workers in previous games, Paul Steed. Paul died in august this year.
- The enemy fighters look a lot like Kilrathi designs and in fact there is the symbol of the Kilrathi empire on the radar screen on the bridge of the carrier, when they attack.
- The musical score is from the bad bad bad hasbro game inspired movie Battleship. It fits this trailer much better then the movie.
- When the enemy fighters attacked it looked like they were right on top of the carrier and would strike within seconds. But when the defense fighters start more then a minute later, they are suddenly coming in from the front. There is no combat during the launch of the fighters as you can clearly see from the bridge that no gun is firing or even aiming at something.
- Even during the battle, the front and rear hangar doors are constantly opening and then closing again. Who ever is sitting at those controls must be insane to open up such a vulnerability. :lol:
- During one of the enemy fly-overs all guns on the ship are suddenly back in parade mode, directly facing to the front or the sides and not firing at all, only to aim and fire in all directions a split second later when the we get a scene cut.
- The enemy fighters are using flaps to stabilize their flight in space (yeah sure). No jet even near it, so that maybe there is some directional thrust diverted by them. They just are just being moved up and down for no apparent reason.
- There are propelled air intakes in the front of the carrier fighters. Again... we are in deep space! :)

Even with the errors... I love the trailer and must have watched it twenty times or more by now.

those arent air intakes... those are ram scoops read up on your wing commander tech

#34 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 13 October 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

those arent air intakes... those are ram scoops read up on your wing commander tech

Damn, you are right! How did I forget?

Stille there are some things that shouldn't be in open space, like the wingtip vortices. But that is just optical mumbo-jumbo. The relevant part will be how the game plays. :)

#35 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Wing Commander? Check
Big Space Exploration? Check
Eve like but first person? Check (never played eve)

This list goes on. The biggest advantage this game has over say MWO, is there is no soruce material that says, 'this is the way it has to be done."

I love Battltech. I love MechWarrior but the biggest stumbling block MechWarrior has is Battletech.

#36 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

@Hammer
Don't fall in love too quickly. Wing Commander has lore and fluff just like BT and it spans several games within the same universe.
There are aliens (Kilrathi) and there are Merchants, Mercs, Freelancers, Pirates, the Navy, guilds, lots of ships, classes and customization. You'd be crazy to assume that there are no stumbling blocks.

First of all, this game is Chris Roberts baby and while I'm confident that he is absolutely brilliant at what he does, the game will have limits. I was stunned to learn that he used the CryEngine 3 and a 100k+ polycount for the avatar, you know this is gonna kill your hardware. And yes there will be 'keepers of the lore' and @sshats on a rampage. Those will inhibit growth and creativity as they do everywhere. But Chris wouldn't be the man he is, if he couldn't overrule them and he actually can because he gave live to this whole universe. Totally up to him to reinvent it and get rid of unwanted ballast.

#37 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

Small Update:

After 9 days we are past the halfway point to the first goal.
At this moment there have been 1.061.490,- $ pledged by 11.912 people on the RSI site.
There is now the opportunity to pledge via Kickstarter, were 2.843 people pledged an additional 119.131,- $ in just one day. One of the pledgers is the (in)famous Charlie Sheen.

#38 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

I ponied up for the $60 pack. Hmm...that sounds familiar.....*looks at founder badge*

#39 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

This game looks awesome, I'll be chipping in for it's development for sure :-)

#40 Nufsed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationEssex United Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Well I'm invested, have my starship and Alpha and Beta access. What are you waiting for guys get into this now! MWO and Star Citizen will be the only two games on my drive.

View PostCCC Dober, on 13 October 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

@Hammer
Don't fall in love too quickly. Wing Commander has lore and fluff just like BT and it spans several games within the same universe.
There are aliens (Kilrathi) and there are Merchants, Mercs, Freelancers, Pirates, the Navy, guilds, lots of ships, classes and customization. You'd be crazy to assume that there are no stumbling blocks.

First of all, this game is Chris Roberts baby and while I'm confident that he is absolutely brilliant at what he does, the game will have limits. I was stunned to learn that he used the CryEngine 3 and a 100k+ polycount for the avatar, you know this is gonna kill your hardware. And yes there will be 'keepers of the lore' and @sshats on a rampage. Those will inhibit growth and creativity as they do everywhere. But Chris wouldn't be the man he is, if he couldn't overrule them and he actually can because he gave live to this whole universe. Totally up to him to reinvent it and get rid of unwanted ballast.

I'm so excited, Star Citizen's first Troll!...... ;)

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users