Bryan Ekman and Russ Bullock on Open Beta

235 replies to this topic

#61 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

The last patch broke what was a perfectly fine game as it moved to the new engine. While I'm sure many players are looking forward to this, they will need to be patient as the number of performance and networking problems skyrocketed.

So while we closed beta players must be "fatigued" I hope the new open beta players will be patient with the game as it is. I am hoping that it will be fixed quickly, but please new open beta players, do not badmouth the game on other forums, as ithe gameplay was very good before, and I'm SURE they'll get it fixed as soon as they can.

Right now...expect delays in play. Lag is very bad. I'm looking forward to these issues being resolved and getting back to the good play I was having just this past weekend.

#62 Max Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationThe real dairy state

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Sincerely, please do not do open beta next week. I want this game to do well and doing open beta next week is (exspecially after the last patch) not going to do the game any favors.

Sincerely,

Max Grayson

#63 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostSynra, on 10 October 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

The Question on my mind is when will the founders deal finally end? I mean, it's kinda disappointing at this point. Back in June, we were under the impression that it was a very limited time offer, only available for a few weeks or a month at most. We were told repeatedly that it would be ending on or before X date, only to have that date ignored.

One of the big reasons to purchase a founders pack was that it was something special that would only be available to us early adopters. Yet here we are nearly 4 months later and it's still being sold. The vast majority of the community now have a founders pack. I mean, I enjoy the benefits, but it's not 'something special' like it was originally intended to be.

What about the 'name in the credits' part of the deal? I mean, that made sense back in June when you figured only a few of us would actually buy the Legendary pack, but at this point there are a massive amount of legendary founders. Seems kinda pointless now. What's the point of having my name in the credits if it's just one in 100,000 names slowly scrolling by for 30 minutes? Has there been any reconsideration for this particular selling point? Are there any plans to give Legendary founders something else instead?

Founders ends 10/14/12.

View PostAkrasjel Lanate, on 10 October 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Soo when open beta we will have the last char wipe/reset or what ?

Yes. Final wipe on Tues 10/16/12.

#64 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

I hope they revisit the MC pricing scheme, $10 for 1250 MC is steep,

#65 Vandrock

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

For the most part not looking forward to loseing my cash but am looking foward to shooting some noobs in the head :D (jk, I like to go for the legs), but I do hope it works out and some new blood will help make it better and with it being "open" a lot of my buds can join me.

#66 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostAym, on 10 October 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I hope they revisit the MC pricing scheme, $10 for 1250 MC is steep,

Money>everything

#67 Taidan

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I too would like to voice my concern with the idea of starting my premium account on the 16th of this month.

An option to start the ball rolling when we feel it's ready would be a very excellent display of customer service, and would buy you a lot of Brownie points, PGI.

#68 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Locationnear Seattle, WA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

If you don't want your premium time to be wasted in Open Beta, ASK FOR A REFUND. That's what I, and many many others have done. They gave a full refund.

Clearly the game is not ready, Open Beta being only a week away? How about they get a stable client first, and maybe get the performance to improve with the next patch and not get worse with each patch like they have over the past several months.

I can't believe so many people are willing to PAY to test this game and actually feel like they are privileged to be able to be in the beta! If you are paying for something, you should be rewarded with something, otherwise they should be paying you!

I wish PGI had stuck to their original statement back in June, that Premium time would start "At launch" and not during a beta test phase.

I'm REALLY glad I got a refund now. Otherwise I'd be stuck paying for a game that only plays at 4 to 18 FPS. When 2 months ago I was getting 30+ fps.

Edited by Landsharkk, 10 October 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#69 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostNormlDotOrg, on 10 October 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

What are you supposed to do? Close the distance with said LRM campers and chop them with an energy sword?

I'd have suggested "not running straight at them in the open and getting pummeled" and replaced "energy sword" with "short range weapons", personally. I -am- one of those assault LRM carrier pilots that laughs every time someone like you gives me a free kill- because you don't think. You simply open your mouth and QQ rises from it like a miasma.

Good players actually go "Oh, crud. Artillery. I will keep out of LOS and engage them at close range while in cover, or else hug a (building/cliff/insert high terrain feature that eats LRMs here)!". To have that much trouble with artillery? Sir, you are indeed losing and engaging in a skill-less fashion. You know what drives me nuts?

Light 'Mechs that actually do their job, intercept me and keep me busy shooting at them with my lasers instead of bombing your buddies with LRMs. That you say "Light mechs are no match for this" tells me exactly how badly you're playing- light 'Mechs ARE the match for artillery-style designs, especially assaults (and assaults in general, for that matter)- and have been for months.

But hey, continue to complain. LRMs are deadly to random players who play in randoms-only groups that have the teamwork abilities only marginally stronger than wet toilet paper. LRMs obliterate randoms. LRMs are great against slow targets that wander around in the open, too- but hey, you're likely both of those from the tone you're delivering. I wish you the good fortune of actually getting a few games with premades in, so you can see the difference and actually learn to play- say, the MWO Teamspeak server where people actually get into groups and play, vs. being shuffled into teams randomly by the matchmaker and wondering why everyone spells "team" with an "I'.

#70 The Sliencer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

This makes no sense. So much so that its downright bizzare. Almost sureal. From many valid perspectives we are still in a form of exapanded Alpha here, and you want to go to an Open Beta which will virtually guareentee all of your prospective customers will have a tragically flawed first impresson?

I read the reasons given for this rather wreckless move and dont see any of them as valid, or at least worth the negative balance.

I sincerly fear for the viablility of this project...

#71 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostLandsharkk, on 10 October 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

If you don't want your premium time to be wasted in Open Beta, ASK FOR A REFUND. That's what I, and many many others have done. They gave a full refund.

Clearly the game is not ready, Open Beta being only a week away? How about they get a stable client first, and maybe get the performance to improve with the next patch and not get worse with each patch like they have over the past several months.

I can't believe so many people are willing to PAY to test this game and actually feel like they are privileged to be able to be in the beta! If you are paying for something, you should be rewarded with something, otherwise they should be paying you!

I wish PGI had stuck to their original statement back in June, that Premium time would start "At launch" and not during a beta test phase.

I'm REALLY glad I got a refund now. Otherwise I'd be stuck paying for a game that only plays at 4 to 18 FPS. When 2 months ago I was getting 30+ fps.

I didn't pay to test. I was in beta looong before the founders were. I paid because I had some faith. And I don't want a refund, I just want a delay on the time.

You have an abundance of hate for MWO I've noticed.

#72 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Dear Mr. Ekman, dear Mr. Bullock,

you can call camo skins and cockpit items content and there is nothing factually wrong about it. But it's not the content that is important to your customers. And no, you no longer have beta testers, you have customers, because you start to take their money for ingame services.

I hope you will be able to deliver important parts like matchmaking in time. Because if you can't, MWO will flop. And that would be a shame.

#73 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 10 October 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

I didn't pay to test. I was in beta looong before the founders were. I paid because I had some faith. And I don't want a refund, I just want a delay on the time.

Negative, I like the game, but do not like the choices being made by PGI.

#74 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

I'm fine with Open Beta. They will get a lot of flack from people criticizing the game as if its finished but that's their decision. I'm happy that I can actually keep my cbills and exp. The only part I dislike is the mandatory start of premium time. I would rather my premium time begin when I say it begins or at launch. I don't think beta is the time for it. Please please please allow us to choose our premium time frame.

#75 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Note to all the folks at PGI... you pretty much have 6 days to come up with a tutorial for new players. Even a simple/rudimentary one would suffice, for now, but having one is pretty much mandatory unless you want to give thousands of potential customers a bad first-impression.

#76 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 10 October 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

Perhaps the simplest way to explain things is that we feel our closed beta players have done all they can and simply they are fatigued by closed beta. What I mean by this is that closed beta can be trying mainly because all of their hard work gets wiped on a regular basis and even though we continue to have tens of thousands of unique players playing each day there are many that are waiting to spend their time when it really counts.

Translation:

"Closed Beta has digressed into a *****-fest between cantankerous grognards and overweening powergamers intermingled with chicken-little diatribes accusing the dev team of working too slowly, P2W, and generally being comparable to the Third Reich. So we're hoping we can get some new people in who can fill out a ******* bug report instead of ranting vociferously about the incompetence of the n00bs in their PUG drop for the nth time."

:D

#77 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 10 October 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Exactly. Don't like it, go play something else. I honestly don't care if someone else likes or dislikes something. There's more people out there, but that's just how I feel about every vocal minority everywhere on the internet "oh I'm so glad I got a refund!" great, I don't freaking care. I can play the game fine.

View PostTastian, on 10 October 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Please please please allow us to choose our premium time frame.

...Why? Seriously? The CBills you get now and the Cbills you get later are
Spoiler

Yes there will be more content and types of content later but all you have to do is save your monies and plan for later. It's not PGI's fault if you can't figure out how to do that. Unless there are huge economic tweaks to occur but manageable tweaks happen in games regardless of "beta" or not.

So honestly I don't see what the point of waiting for later actually is. You can buy more premium time, the time you have is a bonus for supporting them now. It figures, you give people something and they cry about not getting it their way...just go to Burger King :D

#78 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostThontor, on 10 October 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

I didn't pay to test this game, I paid to get a mech to start out with that I can modify and earn XP on right away.

I got other stuff like in game cash and premium account time too, but those were just bonuses, I just wanted that mech.

Your motivation to pay for a founders package may not have been to pay to test the game, but the reality is you are paying to test this game.

My concern is why so many existing founders members still feel comfortable, knowing they are paying to test a game in the current state of it.

#79 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Last patch took the game from looking great and playing smoothly at 60fps. Now it looks...well not bad but definately worse and lags like mad at 60fps. Even the cockpit seems to just around when i turn.
It's so not time to go to open beta. I see lots of bad reviews if it does.

Edit: Oh yeah, and now the game won't close anymore!

Edited by Wolfways, 10 October 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#80 Ayumi Silverfops

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

You know, I went back and deleted a post over on the Beta forums because I thought to myself "No, let's give these guys a shot."

So, you can imagine my surprise when I find that not only is Open Beta starting but it's starting without the one thing that is making it impossible to play this game for me:

Quoted from Paul's post at http://mwomercs.com/...post__p__730029

"Turning a Mech (not twisting), is currently a digital input. i.e. It's an on or off state. For proper implementation we need to change that to an analog input so the further you throw the stick off center, the faster your Mech turns.

Unfortunately at this time, this feature is low priority while we try to finish our last few feature sprints to get the game ready for Launch. You will see the fix in before Launch but it might be right down to the wire."

There is even a 20-plus page thread detailing out just HOW broken joystick/gamepad controls are at the moment:

http://mwomercs.com/...__1#entry676852

So, you mean to tell me that I'm going to be watching my in-game bonus time that I got with Founders will evaporate with this STILL NOT FIXED?!

While I'm tempted to ask for a refund I knew going in that this was a possibility that we would, at the end, get shafted. Well, for what it's worth, thank you PGI for the excitement while it lasted. :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users