Bryan Ekman and Russ Bullock on Open Beta

235 replies to this topic

#81 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hate to be a naysayer but i agree with all those saying its not ready. Not to mention that the announcement was timed horrably as after yesterdays patch the game was pretty much unplayable. There is so much broken and not ready or simply not released yet and for PGI to think this is ready for OB is crazy...I can only assume the 'real' investors and what not are pushing to start making money as I refuse to beleive that the devs themselves think its actually ready.

#82 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but I'm a bit worried by this as well.

I understand it's Beta and the real marketing doesn't even BEGIN till we're out of Beta. But there's still a lot to be done and I REALLY don't want my premium time to be used up during some of the most buggy times of the game launch...

#83 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

One of the reasons people are fatigued is because there is no chat lobby. There is no open venue for the community to meet around this game. People are starting to call MWO a grind.. thats not a good thing because it implies solitary, funless, repetitive actions.

MWO is going to be great but a chat lobby is what it needs if PGI wants the community and all the new players to feel like they are a part of this.

#84 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Oh, Open Beta is coming? Next week? Well, that's a surprise no one was expecting... some players will always complain about "lose what they gained in close beta". Going open beta because of them, regardless of the state of the game itself, it not a good idea.

While the game looks good and so on, it's not yet prepared for OB. We need a tutorial for the thousand of new players. We need not to crash everytime we logout. We don't need the rubber-banding nor the random teletransporting. We, the lower specs gamers, need to be able to play semi-decently and not with all the lag and with 4FPS.

@patricia silverfox
Those threads are at the beta forum, non-beta-players won't be able to read them...

#85 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Posted ImageIs the new...

Edited by Lonestar1771, 10 October 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#86 Cav Scout 85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

You all want to see a game that is truly hosed go play WOT for a month,,than cry about a messed up MM or content or global conquest or a constant state of "beta". Grind your guts out for a tank and watch them nurf the hell out of it on the next patch. I have spent a whole lot more there than here but that money will be spent here soon. It's the same whinny *** cry babies there only different names but same personality,Either play the game or leave ,,offer constructive feedback and be a help not a hindrance, report problems if you find them,,it's PGI's game and while I have waited a long time for it to launch it's their choice just like yours to play or leave,,I have reported a few bugs and tried to offer a few ideas along the way and will play until it's dead weather thats a week or a year or ten years,,,Thank you PGI for taking on this task and putting up with all the key-board commandos in these forums,,,

#87 Oswin Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 808 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWhitmore Lake, MI

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Wait, premium colors?

I can understand premium camo patterns, but the colors themselves? I think that's taking it a bit far.

I'm fine with paying to have a zebra print camo pattern, but I'm NOT okay with having to pay to make my mech electric blue.

#88 MrGray

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Good luck, guys.

Edited by MrGray, 10 October 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#89 1ceTr0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationMoving at long last....

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

View Postwanderer, on 10 October 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

You poor man. Show us on the Atlas doll where the artillery touched you.

Posted Image

Edited by 1ceTr0n, 10 October 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#90 Thelamon

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 78 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Guys,

open beta? Just great I'm sure alle the new people and reviewers will be full of joy once they find out how unfinished this product is.
(And the fun segment that was actually working has been broken by the last patch. Extreme FPS drops, rubber banding, grainy grafcs, screen freeze up too two secs and of course : Task manager needed to exit the game ...

Yay - you have got to be kidding us when you really start charging real money as of next week...
(At least stop MC charging and premium time charging for "open beta"! I want to spemd my founders money onthe gold product not on a construction site!)

This game needs 6 more months! It has loads of potential, but with this rushed blotched start I wonder if it will ever be completed.

A really frustrated player

PS
You sure your servers can handle more players?! So far it doesn't look like it.

#91 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

what happened to the latest patch?

LAG after 5 minutes into the game.... then all players freeze.

please make a quick fix guys.

#92 Isepick

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

If they can't fix what they broke with yesterday's patch, perhaps they should do a rollback for the open beta. Any brand new players that experience gameplay as it is now will be extremely disappointed, and it will forever tarnish the game's image. Even if you delay open beta by a week or 2 to fix issues it will be forgiven in the long run. But hitting open beta with the current issues will never be forgotten.

This is what happens when you let the guys in marketing determine your timeline and not the devs. If someone put out a hard date for open beta without full agreement from the dev team they should be summarily dismissed from the industry.

#93 Basilisk51

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

I hope they add music and a mech voice to give the game more atmosphere before the launch. I believe that would help alot with the game. I also think it would be cool if we could load our own music(although getting music in would be good, although it would be like we had speakers in the mech with our very own ipod). I would also really LOVE to see the MechWarrior 2 mech voice at the start of the game even if they just take the older sound files and just make each different level of MechWarrior 2 play for a different map in MWO that would be simply awesome.

Edited by Basilisk51, 10 October 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#94 Katface

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCalifornia USA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

This is a terrible idea, letting more ppl into a beta with the current state of the game is one of the worst possible choices. I hope this is an April fools joke but only in October.

#95 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

That's a joke, right? You just implemented the newer Cryengine, dropped a ton of grphics-problems onto us because of that and you want to start Open Beta next week? Any Developer read the Beta-Forum today?

Well I won't be sorry if you solve all those problems in a week, but I seriously doubt it.

The only good thing: Noone can tell the people "Relax, it's still closed beta, they'll fix it"

Edited by Greers, 10 October 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#96 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

The decision is made, the OB is starting and the bugs & missing features/tweaks are mentioned already, so i will try to help with a suggestion.

1.)
Add a huge Timeline at the top of the page and ingame (where the founders screen is now) to show everyone that there is a big patch coming closer and closer (like 3 months) with feature XYZ (like community warfare, patch 1000 or any big thing).
This makes everyone clear, this is coming, this is something already in the finish-line of the development race and nobody will be complaining about it or crying for it to be released already.
Without this transparency, new players will have a realy hard time to see through the evolution of the game and get upset realy fast.

We can see it already in the forums and it will be worse for new players outside of all the MW/BT franchise that will join the OB.
Announcements would not be visible enough for "coming soon" stuff, but only for the actual release of a patch, like we do have now when new patches get deployed.

2.)
You started with the mech-videos, but this was just a start.
What we need is a campaign with "from players, for players" content.
Someone suggested player-made maps as a contest. This would evolve players and the huge mod-community on the net to get themselves into the game itself !
Couple that with a video campaign with tutorials, trailers and such that shows the players even more, that they have a unfinished game and at the same time shows them how much the game evolves around the community.
Even if you decide to take 3 months and only add 1 map, one backgroundimage for the sky, or one in-cockpit item from the whole campagin,... the whole thing will result in time won, players hooked and fans ironed for years to come!

3.)
Tournament style live-feeds
Organizing tournament style with the devs/community managers for the public like NoGuts NoGalaxy will hook many not-knowing newcommers to check it out.
The community is currently doing that, but does not yet interact as a whole, because every unit streams for themself.
The "take your best shot" is taking it in the right direction, but may be too "small" scaled :D

Edited by Reno Blade, 10 October 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#97 Mr Styx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • 126 posts
  • LocationDevon England

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

yeeaahh just what we need hula girls and dice,
hey guys heads up the game is bawked after last patch im sure most ppl want a working game with real content over dreadful cash grab gimmicks

#98 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Also, one of the core functions in ever competitive player vs player game is not even implemented. Our Matchmaking System is just a placeholder which the developers have admitted in the Beta forums, they dub it Matchmaking 0.5. To release this game into Open Beta is absurd, it's like letting a known glitch in the game that gives you free C-Bills and Exp go live, which is basically. There have been, are, and will continue to be pre-made groups purposely made to stomp pug players (which are the majority of the players in this game and in any F2P model) collecting free wins while turning off regular players at the same time.

#99 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Well - I hope the issues with the current patch are corrected before next week - otherwise you may have some problems with this open beta plan. Also, if you are planning open beta for October 16th - this would presumably mean no testing of endo-steel, ferro-fibrous, double heat sinks, the associated mech-lab, or any of the other features slated for October 16th. All I can say is best of luck :D ... since I truly want to see this game succeed.

#100 BigTaeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBotany Bay

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostLandsharkk, on 10 October 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Your motivation to pay for a founders package may not have been to pay to test the game, but the reality is you are paying to test this game.

My concern is why so many existing founders members still feel comfortable, knowing they are paying to test a game in the current state of it.

Here is why I feel comfortable.

If you bought Elite for $30, you got $40 worth of MC. If you bought Veteran for $60, you got $80 worth of MC and a Founder's 'Mech ($15 value). If you bought Legendary for $120, you got $80 worth of MC and 4 Founder's 'Mechs ($60). Not to mention the Premium time.

We were given more back in value than what we paid for the Founder's packs, so I do not feel like I paid to test the game. When Open Beta starts and the MC is reset, I can choose not to spend it until other features are implemented. When Open Beta starts and my Premium time kicks in, I can save those extra C-Bills for later. I did not lose anything in the process.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users