What Features to Expect on the First Day of Open Beta

52 replies to this topic

#1 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

MechWarrior Online will be continuing to be in development throughout its life time. Fortunately the developers of this awesome game have created 6 Dev blogs dedicated to telling the community what features they have planned to implement into the game. The purpose of this thread is to share what features are currently in the game and which are still being worked on. Below is a link to the Dev blogs that tell us what features we can expect to be in the game at full release.

Dev blog 0 MWO Recap
Dev blog 1 community warfare
Dev blog 2 information warfare
Dev blog 3 role warfare
Dev blog 4 role warfare cont (XP and Skill Tree)
Dev blog 5 mech warfare (Controls)
Dev blog 6 mechlab

Items that are in the game:

Information Warfare items:
BattleGrid: battlefield top-down map, Object and way-point markers, Friendly and Enemy Unit Markers
Modules: Target information is now exclusively Line of Sight/Detection (LOSD), 2 out of 6 detection types are currently in MWO. They are Direct – You can see the target directly (LOSD), and Radar – Your radar can detect a target in a predetermined arc, also LOSD.
There are 2 out of 3 Detection Modes currently in the game which are Night Vision – Allows players to see more detail in low light situations, and Thermal Vision – Allows players to see heat signatures that can be detected through obstacles
There are currently 0 out of 3 Disruption/Spoofing modules.

Role Warfare items:
Role Aggregation: There are 1 out of 2 match types currently in MWO which is quick matches. XP gained by playing the game is also in MWO, as are BattleMech efficiencies. 4 out of 5 ways to earn XP are currently in the game, they are Destroying an enemy unit, Detecting an enemy unit, Assisting a friendly unit, and Disabling an enemy unit. Pilot Skills are not in the game.

MechLab Items:
6 out of 7 items that can be equipped to a mech are in the game, this includes Weapons, Armor, Engines, Heat Sinks, Jump Jets, ECM equipment. With the one exception being Modules.
Currently there aren't any buttons that allow a player to “Strip All Armour”, “Maximize Armour”, and “Reset Armour to Default”.

Mech Warfare mechs:
Atlas, Awesome, Catapult, Dragon, Centurion, Cicada, Hunchback, Commando, Jenner, Raven. Each with multiple variants.

Edited by BFett, 26 October 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#2 BitGlitch

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 39 posts
  • LocationOutreach, scrounging the back alleys for a drink.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Well, I hope skins will be in the next patch, as it would be even easier to tell who is your clan/squad mates, and which person they are.
I am also looking forward to conquest now that they confirmed it. :)

#3 Drenaline

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

[redacted] This game is no where near ready for open beta. PGI can not even get the weekly patches correct yet. Stop trolling and stroking the devs at PGI. Get the game correct before releasing it to open beta. I dont care jack about skins and crap hanging from a mirror as much as I do having a stable game. This last patch is horrible. And if anyone thinks different then ur a fool. Period. They don't even answer the forums in a timely manner. I don't usually rant and rave or post but this is ridculous. Dont waste my founders pack money on a game that isnt ready.

Edited by Chris K, 11 October 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#4 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Many moaning people is what I expect

#5 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostJoe3142, on 10 October 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Many moaning people is what I expect

This is what I'm hoping I can prevent by making this thread. I hope that people will see what is available and what will be coming in the following months. I know the Devs can't please everyone, but hopefully informed people will complain less than uninformed people.

#6 Alymbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSpace Australia

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostDrenaline, on 10 October 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

This last patch is horrible. And if anyone thinks different then ur a fool. Period.

I have actually found this latest patch quite good. I'm running a dual core laptop and I've gone from 15-20fps on low to 25-30fps on medium settings. The film grain is bad, I must say, but all in all, I've found it to be a good patch. Such a shame that it thinking that labels me as a fool. Can't please everyone I guess.

Personally, I don't feel the game is ready for open beta yet, but I guess I'll get used to the idea. On the bright side, I'll be able to drop with all my friends now :)

#7 OmegaWraith

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ted-oct-3-2012/
http://mwomercs.com/...ted-oct-3-2012/

There's a few things listed for Oct 16 in there.

#8 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

I want an alternate game mode thrown in the bundle next week. They are going open beta that dips into my premium so I want a tad bit more than my PC gamer skin and heatsinks

#9 Sathroz

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Double the number of Maps. There are way to few maps.....

#10 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

<Mek trying not to insert snippy snarky statement about game that barely is running atm..
trying very hard>

#11 Banekane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationohio usa

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

BFett this is a good thread idea. also It is Important for new players to know this info so we dont get flooded with Complaint threads and trolling on the games non completedness

#12 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

This is how games work

Pre-production, Production, Vertical Slice/Tech Demo, Alpha, Closed beta, Open Beta, Release Candidate, Release

THE ONLY COMPLETE VERSION OF THIS GAME IS THE RELEASE.

The game is going OPEN BETA which is an advanced testing stage, ITS NOT DONE YET, and people mistake the open beta for a full release before the game is ready. If the game was ready it wouldn't be going open beta, it would simply be released. An open beta is simply a test stage not bound by NDA.

Before you rant about wasting your money on a founders pack, remember this post and BFett's post, the games slated features are not implemented. The recent patch may have led to performance issues for SOME BUT NOT ALL, many, MANY more patches are coming down the **** before this puppy is even close to a release candidate.

2 months in a game development and entrepreneurship program @ UOIT, 10 000 dollars later taught me this. Consider this post your money saver. You learn simple facts about game development and business models, and you didnt have to spend 10 000 on it. Grow up.

#13 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Locationnear Seattle, WA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 10 October 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

This is how games work

Pre-production, Production, Vertical Slice/Tech Demo, Alpha, Closed beta, Open Beta, Release Candidate, Release

THE ONLY COMPLETE VERSION OF THIS GAME IS THE RELEASE.

The game is going OPEN BETA which is an advanced testing stage, ITS NOT DONE YET, and people mistake the open beta for a full release before the game is ready. If the game was ready it wouldn't be going open beta, it would simply be released. An open beta is simply a test stage not bound by NDA.

Before you rant about wasting your money on a founders pack, remember this post and BFett's post, the games slated features are not implemented. The recent patch may have led to performance issues for SOME BUT NOT ALL, many, MANY more patches are coming down the **** before this puppy is even close to a release candidate.

2 months in a game development and entrepreneurship program @ UOIT, 10 000 dollars later taught me this. Consider this post your money saver. You learn simple facts about game development and business models, and you didnt have to spend 10 000 on it. Grow up.

They say "Open Beta" but they release the game to everyone and start taking people's money. That's not Open Beta, that's Release. It's even being marketed as 'come play this game, pay us money, etc'.

In the games current state, each patching producing more performance and stability problems, still missing content (like item descriptions, lobby chat, game modes, etc), the quality of the current client is a Beta quality, but the game is being launched next week.

It's not a good sign for PGI or MWO.

#14 Risky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, Florida.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

What to expect? A lot of bad players.

#15 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

The game is not being launched next week. Its going to Open Beta next week. The founders program was initially a way of gaining additional funding from those that were willing to donate. The problems with many founders complaining or feeling cheated begun with the guaranteed beta access that the founders pack was attached too several months later. Either way the founders program ENDS before the beta begins, ergo no purchase will be necessary. Additionally no one commanded you to buy a founders pack. With regards to in-game currency, once again it is not a necessity in the game, one can purchase it if they wish. Understand that currency forms a core part of the game and it would be impossible not to implement it in the open beta. If you don't want to pay, don't pay, that's the beauty of the freemium business model.

#16 Morventhus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 10 October 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

The game is not being launched next week. Its going to Open Beta next week. The founders program was initially a way of gaining additional funding from those that were willing to donate. The problems with many founders complaining or feeling cheated begun with the guaranteed beta access that the founders pack was attached too several months later. Either way the founders program ENDS before the beta begins, ergo no purchase will be necessary. Additionally no one commanded you to buy a founders pack. With regards to in-game currency, once again it is not a necessity in the game, one can purchase it if they wish. Understand that currency forms a core part of the game and it would be impossible not to implement it in the open beta. If you don't want to pay, don't pay, that's the beauty of the freemium business model.

Yes the game isnt being released.
Yes it is going into open beta.
my only concern about it going into open beta is that if they dont fix some of the game breaking performance issues some people are having (i haven't experienced them myself) That it will turn off a bunch of players to the game and if that happens alot of people will release bad reviews and the game might end up dead in the water because of it.
Plus now adays when companies do open beta... they seem to be more of a oh we can balance weapons / multiplayer demo (see section 8, halo, ravenged, etc) and this might confuse some people.

then when you add to the fact you can spend money on stuff during the beta (which i havent seen in any beta (open/closed) or alpha I have ever been in) It might rub off to alot of potential customers that PGI and Infinite think that the game is almost done and then they will result to insult and give the game bad press.

I want this game to do well since Mechwarrior games have been in my life since I started gaming and well I want the series to do well and keep moving on.... If this game flops it might leave a void....

but even though I feel like we may not be ready for beta I support PGI's Decision and will til the end

#17 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

This game is too far along to flop now, and i personally believe the most vocal critics, the 10 year old legendary founders with parents who dont know how to say no, actually form a very small demographic, despite being most irrationally angry with PGI.

#18 Morventhus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 10 October 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

This game is too far along to flop now, and i personally believe the most vocal critics, the 10 year old legendary founders with parents who dont know how to say no, actually form a very small demographic, despite being most irrationally angry with PGI.

Games flop after there release too you know. Look at all the now closed mmos.

but yes there are quite a few immature people on the forms that dont exactly know whats going on... they arnt just legendary founders nor are they all 10 years old (though I swore you had to be 18 to get into the closed beta).
Though some have a few legit points though a hotfix before next patch or a fix in the next patch will probably take care of it all.

-----
though back on topic im sure a bunch of people will enjoy the content we have when they get into the beta...

Edited by Morventhus, 10 October 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#19 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

What do I expect? I expect the servers to crash with the influx of new players. Past that who knows.

Past that I expect a certain number of players to squeal "its broke. it sucks. its doomed!" But if you guys really believed that then you'd be gone.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 10 October 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#20 Smoke Banshee

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

Your info is a little wrong, MODULES are in the game.
When you go to configure your mech at the top of screen is three buttons, the first is to customize your mech, the second is for you to equip modules,and the third brings up the camo and decoration tabs.

Edited by Smoke Banshee, 10 October 2012 - 05:50 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users