In-Fighting in a City: The Right Way to Do It

128 replies to this topic

#41 mockingfox

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLong island, NY

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

personally i never found urban combat to hold that much of a manuvering problem. Any mechwarrior worth his tonnage shouldnt have to many problems not running into buildings if you ask me.

#42 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

View Posttrycksh0t, on 19 March 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

I don't fight in the streets. I'll be the guy jumping rooftop to rooftop and laying down pain from above.

Batman mech?

#43 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

View Postcinco, on 19 March 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

city fighting=taking good positions then lie in ambush

View Postcinco, on 19 March 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

in short term combat situations, always ambush. mobility doesn't work in 10 minute rounds. you'll just get killed by multiple alpha shots from snipers and campers as you "mobilize" and "flank" your way into an early death.

Yeah, and what you don't understand about tactics, is that if you stay completely on the defensive, you will eventually die, because we will find the positions you are hiding in, and call in artillery to smoke you out of your positions, then pick you off one by one. What you need are actual tactics, as I take great joy in hunting campers like you. And cinco, I would not be the one to try that. Mobility is key, as the camper will always either die, or not contribute, you may try to argue otherwise, but it is only when you have combined tactics that revolve around ambushes, and even then they will work the first couple of times, but people adapt. You must be able to change tactics quickly, and be able to think on your feet, while adapting to the enemy's moves. What I am trying to get across is, camp all you want, just remember I'll be cleaning up your mech's sorry husk off the floor when I'm done with you, and my lance mates will be busy picking up your mechs as salvage.

Edited by guardian wolf, 19 March 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#44 Dimetime

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Pretty much what Artgathan said. Those principles guided me in MW4 using a Shadowcat, and Uziel and a Nova Cat ( Though I hardly ever used the NC on city maps). I'd mainly use LBX(10 or 20) and/or many medium lasers. Keep moving and have a healthy short term memory. If you just pilot along hey willy nilly without a care in the world you'll get eaten up on any map, espcially urban ones.

#45 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

For MW4 I used a boated MRM MadCat for city maps.
I think that was the most damage you could do with that chassis.
Usually was high up on the attrition scoreboard.... could also be that the Daishis made large easy targets for MRMs.

#46 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

When I played the urban level in Mechwarrior 4, I actually used an Urbanmech effectively. I had an AC/20 variant, a Rotary AC/10 variant, and other such things. I was an ANNOYING ******* in that thing and slew many a mech. My low profile and jump jets let me sneak up on people and cap them right in their weakest spots.

#47 Jake Valeck

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNV

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 19 March 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Urban combat is one of the few times that MechWarrior games can feel like other FPS', at least in how you're placing yourself. The idea is that, unless you are firing, there should be a building between you and the enemy at all times. The 'best 'Mechs' for city fighting have bursty weapons - AC's, alpha'd lasers, etc - and a fairly quick step. One of the reasons Hunchbacks do well is that they can edge around a corner, fire their AC, and move back behind the building. This can make them annoying to hit. It also makes for some awesome duels between Jenners and Hunchbacks.

agreed. add some physical attack abilities and let the mayhem happen. (maybe some extensive QQ from those that took a hatchet to the face) good times.

#48 Rayge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

I really think LRM's will be pretty sweet in an urban setting. they come at an angle from above, the enemy won't be able to run top speed to avoid them

#49 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

That would make sense with a spotter system, giving target locks to missile boat, missile boat unloads LRMs (hey, it got suddenly dark in here) and then the sudden arrival of those would definitely scare the sh*t out of that poor *******. It would be like having that Longbow sniper always just out of range and all he does is dump the LRM 20s, I think it mounts like 4 or six Clan ones, I always got kicks out of the response, usually the, "SON OF A *****", "HOLY **** WHERE ARE THEY?", and finished with a "LRM BOATING NOOBS," just remember buddy, your the ***** that forgot AMS, hahahaha suckers, maybe they will actually consider those perks this time around.

#50 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 19 March 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Urban combat is one of the few times that MechWarrior games can feel like other FPS', at least in how you're placing yourself. The idea is that, unless you are firing, there should be a building between you and the enemy at all times. The 'best 'Mechs' for city fighting have bursty weapons - AC's, alpha'd lasers, etc - and a fairly quick step. One of the reasons Hunchbacks do well is that they can edge around a corner, fire their AC, and move back behind the building. This can make them annoying to hit. It also makes for some awesome duels between Jenners and Hunchbacks.

now I understand why the chainfire feature is a low priority. its Alpha strike time in the city.

But I think the urban environment would be ideal for the Brawler type (yep me too)

in MW4 I liked to use a bushwacker with an AC20 , Id wait for others to get into it, then

Id pop in and out around and about , the big guys wouldnt watch me as close as they would

the other heavys.

In this game I imagine you will have to be a good Guesser as to where to find your opponents,

that sounds fun to me. Again knowledge of the map will be a great asset.

#51 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostPetroff Northrup, on 19 March 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

The Hellbringer tops out at 86.4, are you talking about MW4 stuff? This is looking to be a far cry from MW4.

the city was a joke in mw4, buildings were all 10 stories or less, and they were 100 yards apart with 8 lane highways for streets......

do it right, nyc scale, an atlas walking down a street should be scraping either sides buildings with its elbos.....

View PostFinnMcKool, on 19 March 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

now I understand why the chainfire feature is a low priority. its Alpha strike time in the city.

But I think the urban environment would be ideal for the Brawler type (yep me too)

in MW4 I liked to use a bushwacker with an AC20 , Id wait for others to get into it, then

Id pop in and out around and about , the big guys wouldnt watch me as close as they would

the other heavys.

In this game I imagine you will have to be a good Guesser as to where to find your opponents,

that sounds fun to me. Again knowledge of the map will be a great asset.

magnetic vision module = no need to guess, i see you at all times in town

#52 stun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Honestly bum rushing guys in the city maps didnt take a whole lot of skill. It usually came down to 2 teams that got close to eachother but afraid to be the one to charge on, where one of them would finally get too anxious and all rush the other team. Its nothing fancy, you dont wanna be trying to get on buildings (no ones gonna notice you up there :) ) or doing stupid stuff. IMO the one good tip mentioned here is to try your best to keep moving, at least give someone a moving target even if its up close but dont stray too far from your team where you cant reach the called target..

#53 BerserX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostArtgathan, on 19 March 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

There hasn't been a lot of mention of pilot skills yet in this thread so here's my adivce:
  • Learn to use your Torso Twist: If you're running between buildings to pop off shots you need to be able to twist your torso to face a firing direction while your legs take you to the next spot of cover. Turning your entire mech (with the legs and torso facing the same direction) to acquire a target wastes precious seconds in which the enemy can (and will) fire on you. Additionally, since mechs typically move slowly in reverse, attempting to retreat is more difficult if your legs are facing the enemy: if they were pointed towards cover you could just accelerate and dash past into safety.
  • Use your Arms: This is a similar argument to the torso twist above; the idea is to limit your exposure to the enemy while firing.
  • Get a feel for Jump Jets: If your mech has them, get to know them. You don't want to be the guy jetting to a rooftop to escape, only to realize you're going to be about two feet short and crash. You need to know how far you can jump to maximize your mobility.
  • Remain Aware: Urban combat is a game of multitasking. You need to remember where your allies are, where the cover is and where the threats are. There's an Atlas blocking your path to the city centre. Can you flank him by running down an alley? Is there another mech nearby who can? If you can't remain aware of the situation around you, you'll become overwhelemed by the enemy who can: they'll know where to find you and how to exploit you.
  • Don't Commit to a Fight: This one comes with the small caveat of 'unless you kow you'll win'. The idea here is to not get trapped in stand-up fights (like in the 2009 trailer; where the Warhammer and the Altas blast eachother down an alley). While you may come out on top, chances are you'll take a lot of damage doing it (it's not hard to hit a target in that kind of situation).
  • Keep Moving: If you stop to engage a target, you lose a huge advantage. If you're stopped, multiple enemies can trap you (box you in an alley for example). Remaining mobile makes it harder for enemy pilots to acquire you as a target and it ensures that you're much harder for a coordinated group to pin down.
That's what I've got off the top of my head. If I think of anything else I'll add it in.

I made a post about torso-twisting in http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1. In my opinion, if you can't twist your torso, pull your trigger (and hit your enemy), and remember where you're going; you don't belong in the city.

View PostOrzorn, on 19 March 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

When I played the urban level in Mechwarrior 4, I actually used an Urbanmech effectively. I had an AC/20 variant, a Rotary AC/10 variant, and other such things. I was an ANNOYING ******* in that thing and slew many a mech. My low profile and jump jets let me sneak up on people and cap them right in their weakest spots.

What version of MW4 did you play? I have MW4: Mercs, Vengeance, and Black Knight; but there are no Urbanmechs in them. Is that on the MekTek version?

#54 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

FIELD MANUAL 3-06: Urban Operations. How to set up an ambush in the urban environment.
Spoiler

Edited by Scar, 20 March 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#55 Shukka

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:40 AM

City fighting in this game will be a lot different then it was in MW4, I mean hell when you can bring a structure down it makes cover a bit more obsolete. So you will want to keep moving around, ducking behind buildings while trying to maneuver around your enemy, flanking will be huge in this game. No more of that run in a circle and fire crap, AI's in the other mechwarrior series where not that bright, you will be facing another person and each will be different so being able to think on your feet will also help you in the long run. IMHO

#56 IronSardaukar

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I just hope it resembles what we saw in the 2009 trailer!

#57 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

For anyone who thinks city fighting is just 'waiting in ambush = win' wait'll you get outflanked by a Scout with ECM or something, see how that works out for you. :D

#58 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I wonder if with destructable terrain my days of jumping from roof top to roof top in a speedy, heavily laden medium are over.

#59 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 March 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

For anyone who thinks city fighting is just 'waiting in ambush = win' wait'll you get outflanked by a Scout with ECM or something, see how that works out for you. :D

+1 this^^
That's what I have been preaching all along. *gets ready for another sermon about City Fighting, CQB, and hot dropping into that kind of situation.*....

Edited by guardian wolf, 20 March 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#60 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I like close combats in urban environments and im really excited how it finally works in the game.
The Firestarter would be my first choice. Small, fast and equipped with Jump Jets. With 4 Flamers, 2 Machine Guns and 2 Medium Lasers, the Firestarter is a good support for city fighting. I look forward to city brawl!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users