#21 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostClaw55, on 02 May 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Question from a curious Spheroid. Are there Clan-Derived names for Clan refit [IIC] 'mechs? I can't find anything about that on Sarna.

Nope, there are none. Its just teh same name with a IIC behind it.

#22 MarauderDeuce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

The clans IIC versions are of mechs they're familiar with.

The clan/IS names are because when they were first encountering the Clan mechs the techs had no way of knowing that said mech was known by the clans as a Dire Wolf or a Timber Wolf - so they assigned their own names.

Daishi basically owing to a Kurita warrior going "Oh sh$#! I'm going to die" - but in snake. :blink: And Mad Cat for the well known reason of it's look. These names are how they were recorded and how they were then known as the information about the new mechs was released.

No need for that with the IICs - they weren't unknown and they weren't a new design, just a new variant.

#23 Notch

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for making the list. It helped me a lot.

#24 LightSeibaa

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

Probably good to note that these are the clan omnimechs, there were more retrofitted mechs but they're rarely talked about.

There's also a few clan specific ones that come to mind. Blood Kite and Kodiak for Clans Blood Spirit and Ghost Bear come to mind relatively quickly.

#25 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostThrall, on 22 March 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

-snip- ...and put the fear of the Clanners into Inner Sphere noobs. Posted Image

THIS "noob" is going to meet your charge with volleys of rockets. You don't scare me, you silly Canner.

Edited by Volthorne, 14 May 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#26 Daneiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Posttbrminsanity, on 09 April 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

I love the Adder/Puma. That little ******. It makes even Heavy and Assault mechs think twice.

And that shall be - that is a mech in the true clan spirit :rolleyes: - and for that reason that mech has special place in my heart :unsure:.
"Go, Star Adder; You are the stalker, the hunter, the killer. Your prey stands before; Show them the way of the True Warrior."

#27 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Should not this thread be in the IS section? After all, Clan-oriented players know what "their" mechs are called.

#28 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 14 May 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

...Canner.

Wow, that is a new one. O.o

#29 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Don't forget the Howler/Baboon!

BTW, I'm posting this from my new iPhone! : )))))))

Edited by MechRaccoon, 21 May 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#30 Zwag78

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBremen, Hanseatic League

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostMarauderDeuce, on 12 May 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

The clans IIC versions are of mechs they're familiar with.

The clan/IS names are because when they were first encountering the Clan mechs the techs had no way of knowing that said mech was known by the clans as a Dire Wolf or a Timber Wolf - so they assigned their own names.

Daishi basically owing to a Kurita warrior going "Oh sh$#! I'm going to die" - but in snake. ;) And Mad Cat for the well known reason of it's look. These names are how they were recorded and how they were then known as the information about the new mechs was released.

No need for that with the IICs - they weren't unknown and they weren't a new design, just a new variant.

I thought Mad Cat got its name from the first encounter with it. Targeting computers kept switching from MAD and CAT (Marauder and Catapult) when attempting to I.D.

#31 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostZwag78, on 24 May 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

I thought Mad Cat got its name from the first encounter with it. Targeting computers kept switching from MAD and CAT (Marauder and Catapult) when attempting to I.D.

What he said more or less... ?

And Mad Cat for the well known reason of it's look.

#32 MarauderDeuce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

View PostZwag78, on 24 May 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Technically you're right - I have a pretty good memory but it's been between 5 and 10 years since I last read my battletech books - moved house twice since then and lost most of them - so I'm doing this from memory most of the time. :)

#33 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

Yes, Inner Sphere target identification software couldn't decide if the Timber Wolf was a Marauder or a Catapult and it lacked the ability to label it as "Unknown Design."

And they wonder why they are called barbarians.

* MadCat is a cool name, which has more to do with it than the "parent" design similarities, since MAD is the Marauder's designation, but CPLT is the Catapult's. So, MarCat? Nah. Catarauder? Hmm. Maybe. MadCat? Yes.

#34 Phelan Cormac

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostHavoc2, on 20 March 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Pinned for the new people who want a 3070 era 'Mech, or new people who need to know the conversions, and to be reminded that THE EARLIEST WE WILL SEE CLAN 'MECHS IS A YEAR AFTER LAUNCH ?

Just thought I'd point out, Clan presence existed before 3050, as they first appeared in 3049 to begin their take over the peripheral worlds - the biggest part to do with the clans in 3050 was the introduction of their own OmniMechs to the war against IS (while IS didn't develop any themselves until 3052). This is why the game begins in 3049 ;)

View PostSychodemus, on 27 May 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

Yes, Inner Sphere target identification software couldn't decide if the Timber Wolf was a Marauder or a Catapult and it lacked the ability to label it as "Unknown Design."

And they wonder why they are called barbarians.

* MadCat is a cool name, which has more to do with it than the "parent" design similarities, since MAD is the Marauder's designation, but CPLT is the Catapult's. So, MarCat? Nah. Catarauder? Hmm. Maybe. MadCat? Yes.

Can I point out the guy who detected the MadCat first was a Mercenary (Phelan Kell of the Kell Hounds)? His targeting computer could be a different model to what was concidered standard among IS designs. We just don't know.

Edited by Phelan Cormac, 02 June 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#35 Stoneraven

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:33 AM

Bondsmen getting only second line mech isnt true. A truly skilled warrior will be given a standard Trial of Position to earn full rights in the clan {Khan Phelan Kell} and a frontline mech and posting. The skill of the pilot is the determining factor.

#36 Stoneraven

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

Zwag Dire wolf was deemed Great Death by the first Kurita warriors to face it. For a time it was deemed to be suicidal to face one in combat.

#37 chainedbeast

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:50 AM

Cool can't wait.

#38 UnLimiTeD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

I think it'd be interesting to allow for players to engage in a trial of position to enter a clan.
Also looking forward to large scale battles; one IS company against a clan binary :)

Though I have no idea how that will be implemented.^^

#39 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

I thought only Trueborns receive Omnis. I have to admit that some the IIC mechs are allot better than Omni's of the same weight.

#40 Chacatumbi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

bring back the Kodiak in a year! MW2 mercs style! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users