Battletech TT - Possible Return?

95 replies to this topic

#1 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hey. More of a thoughts and theory post than anything. Im 25 now, growing up though my father had close to a regiment of metal mech miniatures and as a kid I used to just drool at them. When i turned 10ish he taught me and my brother the game. Around 16ish he ended up selling off all his battletech stuff (sad face, so many unseen.....). At the time I had a company of my own rookie painted DC mechs. Ended up selling them off to. Now with MWO I'll be buying myself the starter set and would like to get back into it. Im just wondering what peoples thoughts are of the game making a bit of a come back based on the video games potential success. As a person whos never played TT does playing MWO tempt you to try the board game? I dont think Battletech would ever go main stream fully but a surge of new players and some coming out of retirement would definitely kick start a few areas. I know living where I do im digging deep to find players.

Battletech is an awesome table top game. Relatively fast moving, dynamic and engaging. Heres to crossing my fingers people check it out!

Also as an afterthought I would love to see PGI contact Ironwinds and create some miniatures of the MWO mech designs and sell them. Sure a good chunk of people would buy the mini's just to have a display version of their favorites from the game. Could create interest in the TT version.

Edited by SteelWarrior, 12 October 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#2 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Hi there,

I also took a break from Mechwarrior/Battletech between 1999 and 2005, sold all of my mini's as well. My old gaming group has pretty much dissolved over the years since most of them moved or stopped playing altogether.

I currently play most of my games on Megamek, but I do buy new book releases in PDF format when they come out. I'm also kinda hoping that MWO is gonna generate some more interest to get people playing again.

Those Iron wind mini's look pretty sweet, I'd totally create a Clan Wolf and a Merc unit (GDL perhaps) if there was more interest in my area again.

Anyway, for all the newbies, check it out:

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=175

Cheers,

Stormwolf

#3 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

Yea I have no idea how it isnt more popular. I mean in essence the rules are simple. A game of Battletech is similar to a game of Axis and Allies in most ways, expect for the turns progress faster. Buy the box set for like 50 bucks. Grab 1-3 friends and get started. 1 mech each to learn. Painting is optional though its alot of fun once you get into it. But even just using the models. I mean....Battletech.....or Monopoly.....Easy choice for me.

I was thinking when i bought my box set maybe id throw up some youtube videos teaching the game or giving basic painting lessons.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

BT is hardly a fast paced TableTop game.
It is more like Chess with shooting crossed with a Mech simulation without computer.

A Lance vs Lance engagement can be made really fast, even with LosTech only.
A 2 Company vs a trinary however had last 3 evenings - but that was a great challenge.

MegaMek is faster because you don't have to calculate all the time.

I have bought my first 4th Ed box 1999 -it was more an accident
I stoped playing 2003.
I started playing 2009 after W 40k has proven to be one of the worst mistake i ever did.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 12 October 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#5 Kahali

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

We have a reguler weekly TT group that fluctuates from 4 to 15 players. Very enjoyable evenings.

Try megamek if you are short of opponents - mekwars:legends is one of the permanent campaigns with heaps of guys willing to teach

Had company v company battles last weekend - took 2 days to resolve. Great fun and a good way to get together with other people face to face.

#6 Helaman

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Bought a CRAPload of metal... and barely played since. Have about a regiment and half, bunch of unseen and someof the IWM minis stillin box...I ran outta gas.\

Kids and adults are increasingly going digital for their fixes. Many boardgames can be played on an iPad for instance. TT gaming isn't dead but its not healthy.

Edited by Helaman, 12 October 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#7 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Still playing, weekly winter games.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Here in California Ive seen quite a few ppl playing at the local stores Ive had minis forever just never played it, now im going to start for sure. BTW awesome table

Edited by DONTOR, 12 October 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#9 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I prefer MegaMek. It does all my math for me. :D

#10 Waldex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostPropnut, on 12 October 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SIR I SALUTE YOU!

On another note just making sure everyone here is watching the MW tactics development as well

http://mwtactics.com/

Game Looks great but still way behind where MWO is at.

#11 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Man I've been playing almost every night with my kids (no adults in the area that play). I have a 6 year old boy and a 9 year old girl and they love it!

I know what you are thinking! Battletech can't be played by 6 year olds!!!!! But it can!

With the 25th Anniversary Introductory Box Set it comes with a very very basic super-introductory set of mini-rules along with the REGULAR introductory ruleset where a complete new player can start action in minutes. They even have simplified record sheets. Basically no heat, piloting skill, or even internal structure (the quick-start mini record sheets modify the outer armor up a bit to make up for this).

Just simple movement mechanics, shooting and cluster hits etc. Teaches the kids math too! I love it, they are learning something and I am getting blown up by them and having a lot of fun. The boy runs his Hunchback pretty much all the time, and the daughter likes the Cicada because it's fast. They always team up on my poor Hermes and cackle like crazies when they blow an arm off or make a headshot. (gee that sounds rather bad)

You dads out there, don't be afraid of picking this game up. The 25th Ann. Box Set is fantastic, thick cardboard maps, 2 of the best looking plastic mini's I've ever seen (Loki and Thor) and a slew of regular plastic mini's (better than the flat cutouts used in previous box sets by far). Not to mention all the reading materials :D

My son especially will see me pilot the Hunchie in MWO and will be super excited to play the next round of TT. With the quick-start rules, matches are very quick and really fun. They are even doing Battletech art in their spare time. Brings a tear to me eye it does.

Edited by uebersoldat, 12 October 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#12 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow!

#13 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Man, Megamek really made it awsome, No Dice!

#14 Baron Malcom

Rookie

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Tabletop is still around Catalyst game labs has been making the game. check them out at http://bg.battletech.com/ I have not seen any of the new books in pront but you can download the PDFs. There is now the quick strike rules option to speed up play (sorta like warmachine) and there is still the regular play. You can cath the team at gamiing conventions an such.

#15 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Dont get me wrong. I love Megamek. I played in a Mektek league for a while even. The computerized version is enjoyable and quick with lots of tools like point and click LoS and ect. However theres still something special about having the miniatures in front of you and crossing off the armor points with pen and paper.

Im going to look into getting something started in my home town of Winnipeg, theres a dead facebook group but I have hope. Start with me and my brother and go from there.

#16 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

If I was ever going to get back into miniatures, it would be the warhammer universe. Because I used to be involved in it when I was younger, and I find it more interesting personally. I never played with anyone other then my uncle and a few friends, and we knew the rules but kinda made our own when we played. Mainly I just liked painting them, and making armies.

But I will probably never get back into that sort of thing.(my interest was limited to begin with) I had a ultra marines army( with a land raider), a cadian army, and a night lord army with berserkers(chaos). Making terrian(maps) to play on was fun also, just the creative possibilities is what makes it enjoyable.

Edited by lsp, 12 October 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#17 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

On the off chance that anyone from Ireland is here looking for Battletech in Dublin then drop into Gamers World on a Tuesday evening and ask one of the staff to put you in contact with us if we're not obvious. Alternatively, if you're out Maynooth way there's a store there which has regular games apparently.

Either way, come to Gaelcon on the 26th and play in the games we're running there.

View PostHelaman, on 12 October 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

Bought a CRAPload of metal... and barely played since. Have about a regiment and half, bunch of unseen and someof the IWM minis stillin box...I ran outta gas.\
Unseen in the packaging go for a decent amount since they're guaranteed not to be fakes. Have you tried selling them?

Posted Image
Oh now that is just pretty. I wish I had the space for something like that.

#18 Alaric Howard

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

I played a bit of it in high school with some friends of mine but only got really serious about it in the last few months. I finally have most of my Clan Star Adder Super Nova assembled and painted (though not with any particularly great skill), and I play regularly with my old high school buddies that are still around. I even got my wife drooling over her latest Turkina variant she made with Solaris Skunk Works. My only regret is that Her Super Nova has a few too many Jade Falcon Mechs for my liking.

#19 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

[Redacted] I mean inside these books theres endless artwork and canon material. I think if there was just more public knowledge of Battletech it would draw in tons of people. I really enjoy painting my Warhammer 40k army, still have yet to play an actual game. But is it ever expensive. I mean a basic squad of troop models sell for 40 bucks here. Ill be paying close to 100 bucks canadian to get a full 10 man Terminator squad. The mark up on GW miniatures is stupid. Not to mention the 80 dollar ******* rulebook + 30 dollar codex just to play lol. Nice thing about Battletech is you can get your hands on some nice models in bulk for a good price.

Edited by Niko Snow, 31 July 2013 - 10:07 AM.
Trust me.

#20 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

View PostSteelWarrior, on 12 October 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Battletech is an awesome table top game. Relatively fast moving, dynamic and engaging. Heres to crossing my fingers people check it out!

Also as an afterthought I would love to see PGI contact Ironwinds and create some miniatures of the MWO mech designs and sell them. Sure a good chunk of people would buy the mini's just to have a display version of their favorites from the game. Could create interest in the TT version.

Battletech TT is cool. The miniatures are great - most of them that is. I started buying the miniatures shortly after Battletech came out in the mid 80s and have all of mine still - about 300 I estimate. I've been tempted on occasion to sell them but I doubt I will. I now have 2 boys and would love to teach them to play when they get a little older. I'm sure they'll be drooling over the mechs as well.

I wouldn't call it a fast game however. Sure, if you play 3 vs 3 you could finish in one night in like 5 hours but the dream is always playing 8 vs 8 like MWO. That would take a week I'm sure. The biggest problem with speed is getting people to act quickly. Every person I've ever played with treats it like chess. They want to examine every move and test out every possible range for optimal heat and weapon usage. Takes forever. I've imposed time rules (like speed chess) and adopted several techniques (like card initiative and weapon grouping) to speed things up.

And yes, I'd love if Iron Wind Metals makes the MWO version of mechs. I don't see why they wouldn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users