Who plays the clans?

120 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should pilot the clan mechs when they invade? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should play the Clans

1. Players (103 votes [69.13%])

Percentage of vote: 69.13%

2. Bots (ala PvE) (29 votes [19.46%])

Percentage of vote: 19.46%

3. Devs and company empoyees (17 votes [11.41%])

Percentage of vote: 11.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

Will it be players? PvE? or PvDEV?

Who do you think it should be?

My vote goes with Bots ... assuming the AI is very very adaptive!

Edited by woodstock, 02 November 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#2 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

I hope like Hell it is not some sort of AI or PVE experience. The last game released that allowed us to play as Clansmen was released in 1995, over 15 years ago. We have been forced to play as merc and house units ever since.

While it is a bit early to really worry about it, I sincerely hope we are not stuck in that same rut forever.

#3 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

While I'm more of the Mercenary type who loves Clan Tech, the clans need to be the type of opponent that sends chills down your spine. I think it should not only be players, but players who have proven that they are skilled. Perhaps also that they subscribe to loftly clan "honor" and the like.

#4 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Players who have proven themselves Trueborn, and earned their place among the warriors of Kerensky

#5 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

But any player who is allowed to play clan tech will have a huge advantage over inner sphere pilots.

And that will start a whole mess of crying and moaning.

If it has to be a human at the controls of clan mechs I'd say devs and staff. But I doubt there will be enough bodies for that.

Which brings me back to Bots.

The only question is...Is A.I. upto the task?

Maybe later on we can phase in players into clan control. But to begin with I dont see how they could possibly balance clan/inner sphere factions.

They shouldn't be balanced for G*d's sake! The clan should be superior! so how can some players be given that advantage over others? (contest winners?)

so Staff or bots.

Comments?

#6 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

View PostElucid Ward, on 02 November 2011 - 02:17 PM, said:

Players who have proven themselves Trueborn, and earned their place among the warriors of Kerensky

Seyla!!

#7 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

View Postwoodstock, on 02 November 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

But any player who is allowed to play clan tech will have a huge advantage over inner sphere pilots.

And that will start a whole mess of crying and moaning.

If it has to be a human at the controls of clan mechs I'd say devs and staff. But I doubt there will be enough bodies for that.

Which brings me back to Bots.

The only question is...Is A.I. upto the task?

Maybe later on we can phase in players into clan control. But to begin with I dont see how they could possibly balance clan/inner sphere factions.

They shouldn't be balanced for G*d's sake! The clan should be superior! so how can some players be given that advantage over others? (contest winners?)

so Staff or bots.

Comments?

Pretty sure the IS was crying and moaning when the Clans smashed their way right down the invasion corridor and spanked nearly every single person along the way.

So let them moan like little children, and let those who have earned the right to fight amongst the Clans do so. Not only their skill, but their tech will set them apart, given that not only were the Clans technologically superior at the outset of the Clan invasion, but their were superior in skill, albeit somewhat idiosyncratic, due to their eugenics and harsh training regime.

#8 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

How do you balance IS vs Clan, you ask? It's simple - Bidding! The clans want to fight with less mechs! The IS units want to fight with more! Let the inferior IS outnumber the Clans!

#9 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

I'm not suggesting for one minute that the clans and inner sphere should be balanced. They shouldn't ... clearly.

My question is who gets to play the clans!

Who decides and how do they decide?

Competition winners? (I would be okay with this one. it involves skill and renown. It would also be a huge incentive for people to take part.)

Time in game? (a skill unlock? Get a character to 'x' level and you gain access to clan characters? This would reward those that have no life! I'm not so keen on this.)

People who pay real money for the privilege? (this one scares me as it would be a REAL cash cow!)

Suggestions?

#10 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

View Postomegaclawe, on 02 November 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

How do you balance IS vs Clan, you ask? It's simple - Bidding! The clans want to fight with less mechs! The IS units want to fight with more! Let the inferior IS outnumber the Clans!

But to be true to the canon they should kick our ***** ... so according to canon ...not balanced even with bidding.

Aslo who gets to actually play the clans would create huge issues in the community if not handled right.

#11 Col Sanders

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

People should have to test into Clan warfare, in a trial of position. They'd need to be able to fight using Zellbrigen.

#12 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

View PostCol. Sanders, on 02 November 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

People should have to test into Clan warfare, in a trial of position. They'd need to be able to fight using Zellbrigen.

Big effin' plus 1. And Trials of Position against the elite of the elite - if there are leader boards, I'm talking up the top.

Further to this, given we will be playing our way through the Clan invasion, how will bondsmen be handled?

Edited by Elucid Ward, 02 November 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#13 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

View PostCol. Sanders, on 02 November 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

Oh yes, I'm hoping to kick it to Star Captain on the first go. :)

#14 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

I voted bots.

I'm one of the 2 people who don't like the clans...but because there's only 2 of us...we're stuck with them :) I would like to see something like the following:

1. clans invade, and entire IS plays against bots. These would be scripted battles where the IS are retreating and the clans eventually occupy the IS.
2. Devs do a FRAKLOAD of balance testing to determine what's fair for PvP (ISvClan) battles. For example - 1 250 ton star vs. 1 750 ton company is.
3. Open balnce testing to players in a solaris form.
4. Allow PvP IS vs clan battles.
5. Have a parallel universe in 3015 with no clans.

Edited by theforce, 02 November 2011 - 03:03 PM.

#15 taxman

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWirral Cheshire England

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Ah its too late to speculate,
We the Keshik of Clan NovaCat are already here.
As you can see from my profile pic we dropped in Just as the IS Freeborn thought they had won..... Boy does that Nova run Hot !

Seyla !

#16 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postomegaclawe, on 02 November 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

i like this idead
remember Stalin once said "quantity is a quality of its own."

#17 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

The game is for players so let players assemble to form the clans when that option becomes available...... your assuming it will.

#18 Col Sanders

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

View PostKumakichi, on 02 November 2011 - 03:45 PM, said:

The game is for players so let players assemble to form the clans when that option becomes available...... your assuming it will.

"Lets set it during the clan invasion and not include the clans."

#19 Bianca Flowers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

I woudl liek to see the clans as a PVE enemy as well. I also like the idea of one you get a 20, or 40, or 50, or whatever, you unlock the ability tp play a clan characte, whoc has a completely different storylike, and fights PVE IS forces. PVP of IS vs Clan should be 5 Clan vs 12 IS (star vs company)

#20 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

I like the idea of the people who play the clans having to pass some kind of test. I'm personally leaning towards that 'test' being constant community contests. Each month they run a last man standing battle etc.

This would really add energy to the community.

To the comment about (we are assuming that we will be able to play the clans) Thats kind of where the bots and PvE options of the poll comes in. IF we can't play the clans someone/thing has to and thats one of the other options.

Oh and I guess I'm the other one of the two that dont wanna play clans. Use clan tech on my IS mech sure but IS all the way. I always found the clanners to be arrogant, too rigid in their culture.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users