Who plays the clans?

120 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should pilot the clan mechs when they invade? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should play the Clans

1. Players (103 votes [69.13%])

Percentage of vote: 69.13%

2. Bots (ala PvE) (29 votes [19.46%])

Percentage of vote: 19.46%

3. Devs and company empoyees (17 votes [11.41%])

Percentage of vote: 11.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Sirius

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

If the Clans are intended to be opfor, they should be AI controlled, clearly. There aren't enough devs to make that happen, and roping in players to do the job instead is guaranteed to generate much whining.

#22 Jack Deth

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:33 AM

Is this even a question? Why not let players pick which side they want to play? Anyone who thinks that its not fair because the clans have better stuff will just play clan. I don't see where the whining will come in. For the record I plan on playing an Inner Sphere periphery merc or bandit if possible and I have no problem with the clan players having all the goodies while I'm stuck with a beat up Level 1 tech mech.

#23 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:52 AM

well if the timeline is meant to stay true to canon there weren't many clanners to begin with. And a huge % of the player base will go for the best mech they cna get ... which will effect the timeline which the developers seem to want to stay true too ... seeing as they have mentioned in several places how 1 day = 1 day etc etc.

Clan mechs also should not be balanced so again ... whining.

Basically I feel it should be controlled. Only the best players should get access to them. notice I said best players not highest level. You need to be seriously sh*t hot to get the option to play clan.

So we need contests bi-weekly or monthly to unlock the clan option on your account. Once you have unlocked it you can't enter another contest

Then have inter clan contests for the ones who are 'IN'

#24 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:54 AM

View PostJack Deth, on 03 November 2011 - 01:33 AM, said:

For the record I plan on playing an Inner Sphere periphery merc or bandit if possible and I have no problem with the clan players having all the goodies while I'm stuck with a beat up Level 1 tech mech.

I think there will be quite a few like you. But how fun will it be when everytime you enter a battle your facing clan mechs and you get seriously OWNED.

Clanners should be something special.

#25 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:07 AM

View Postwoodstock, on 03 November 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

Then have inter clan contests for the ones who are 'IN'

You mean trials???

lol, clan contests

Edit- as for who can play the clans, if it is going to be limited I once again lay this at the devs feet, there should not be contests, nor anything, just the devs enabling PMs and sliding you one like. "Hey saw that you have been a clanner since __ we would like you to join ___" Even if they did not chose me as a Jaguar, I know what I am, and need no title to prove it. I will just take my Summoner from those false clanners ala Trial of Possession, Smoke Jaguar style...aka, GO FOR THE THROAT!

Edit2- had another thought, they could make an extra buck by charging you $20 to be in the clans, hell I would pay $50

Edited by Amarus Cameron, 03 November 2011 - 03:11 AM.

#26 Saurok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:12 AM

Trial of Position is not that bad idea.

Just don't make it too harsh for those who want to play Clans. But playing Clan pilot should feel special and different
compared to IS pilot. Zellbrigen, Trials, Bidding and other clan ways should be enforced.

#27 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

I don't think the INITIAL invasion should have player-controlled Clan units. Once they determine that the first thrust of the invasion is over, if they want to unlock the Clans to prevent the player base from having an apoplexy, then go ahead. We'll just let them penetrate the sphere deep enough that they can't pull back then beat them down with experience and dirty fighting. :)

#28 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

View PostThundercles, on 03 November 2011 - 03:22 AM, said:

I don't think the INITIAL invasion should have player-controlled Clan units. Once they determine that the first thrust of the invasion is over, if they want to unlock the Clans to prevent the player base from having an apoplexy, then go ahead. We'll just let them penetrate the sphere deep enough that they can't pull back then beat them down with experience and dirty fighting. :)

You forget that when one clan takes that shining jewel Terra, all other clans are released from the holding pattern and you guys will never have a chance against all 17 of us.

Edit- Especially if Star Adder gets to invade.....oh yeah, they have like triple the touman of most clans.

Edited by Amarus Cameron, 03 November 2011 - 03:28 AM.

#29 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

Balance is simple - use a Battle Value system similar to tabletop. Value everything based purely on its performance, not its intimidation or coolness factor, and group the units in appropriate numbers for their side.

Thus, a high BV star of Clan mechs (five) could go up against two low BV lances (8 mechs). Or, a trinary of Clan mechs (15) could go up against a Company of IS mechs (16). The IS would still have a slight advantage due to their number (more tactical options available), but...if done right...it would work just fine for gameplay reasons.

It really is not hard to make something like that work, IMHO; I trust they are able to do it. I am not going to cry and quit if I have to play as a mercenary, mind you; I just prefer the Clan ideology and military organization. *shrugs*

Also, since I am already in Clan Hell's Horses Gamma Galaxy, in MWLL, I would prefer to stay in the same unit. :)

#30 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 03 November 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

Edit2- had another thought, they could make an extra buck by charging you $20 to be in the clans, hell I would pay $50

Please please no ... then people would just pay to get in and you would have all sorts of idiots being clanners

#31 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:26 AM

View PostAethon, on 03 November 2011 - 03:33 AM, said:

Balance is simple - use a Battle Value system similar to tabletop. Value everything based purely on its performance, not its intimidation or coolness factor, and group the units in appropriate numbers for their side.

Thus, a high BV star of Clan mechs (five) could go up against two low BV lances (8 mechs). Or, a trinary of Clan mechs (15) could go up against a Company of IS mechs (16). The IS would still have a slight advantage due to their number (more tactical options available), but...if done right...it would work just fine for gameplay reasons.

It really is not hard to make something like that work, IMHO; I trust they are able to do it. I am not going to cry and quit if I have to play as a mercenary, mind you; I just prefer the Clan ideology and military organization. *shrugs*

Also, since I am already in Clan Hell's Horses Gamma Galaxy, in MWLL, I would prefer to stay in the same unit. :)

But it shouldn't be balanced! If it is its not right. It shouldl be that we get our but*s kicked all over the place. SO what we are doing by introducing the clans is making one faction WAY better than the others. This is fine. But it makes it hard to decide WHO plays that faction.

BOt's and DEVs would be the most 'Fair' but from the poll I;d say thats a very unpopular option.

So we are left with players ... so WHICH players.

Paying for it would be a disaster ... I mean I can already hear people shuffling their feet as they get in line to shout 'PAY TO WIN!'

As the clanners were meant to be far superior pilots then surely the people who play the clans should have demonstrated that they are in fact superior in some way. i.e. contests. If your good enough to win the contest then your good enough to be a clanner.

If not then maybe your just a freebirth clanner wannabe.

#32 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

View Postwoodstock, on 03 November 2011 - 04:19 AM, said:

Please please no ... then people would just pay to get in and you would have all sorts of idiots being clanners

Indeed, I agree. But I am always for rewarding the developer for making a Mechwarrior game, seemed to me an easy way of doing it. Who is not to say that when all the "yay clans!" kiddies get in, us real clanner go...NO...to the Solahma Cluster/Provisional Garrison Cluster, with you! While the better warriors trial for front line clusters. 2nd Jaguar Guards, Beta Galaxy...that is home

#33 Asmudius Heng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:39 AM

I just think the entire idea of clans seems unfeasable withotu all sorts of complaints and problems and game breakdowns.

Mainly I think if it is balanced then the clanners will hit in smaller numbers and make very little hedway into the IS. They will complain about how they should be special and better and conquering the IS for a time.

If they DO make it so the initial clan invasion is a scary blitz then the IS side will complain because who the hell wants to fight a bunch of losing battles?

Lore aside - people want to fight battles where they can win if they have the skills and teamwork. Clan mechs SHOULD be better, so obvisouly to balance out a regular match there would be less of them. This would mean (assuming around equal skill levels) that the clans would hit the IS and grind into a stalemat or back and forth just like the IS will be doing the whole time.

#34 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:43 AM

I think they should pick the best players of the game (around 200) and ask them if they want to help with the development. If they agree, they get Clan mechs and will be able to train with them on a dedicated server the devs would shutdown for "technical difficulties" and after a week. Set them loose on players. Of course the pros would have to agree with embargo on information till the start of invasion.

#35 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 03 November 2011 - 04:39 AM, said:

Lore aside - people want to fight battles where they can win if they have the skills and teamwork. Clan mechs SHOULD be better, so obvisouly to balance out a regular match there would be less of them. This would mean (assuming around equal skill levels) that the clans would hit the IS and grind into a stalemat or back and forth just like the IS will be doing the whole time.

I can agree to this, because with our superior mechs, and your superior numbers, our superior skill will obviously win the day and claim us larger OZs than we originally had in the first place...and as you said lore aside, what Clan in their right mind would agree to Tukayyid THIS time.

#36 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:52 AM

View Postadridos, on 03 November 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

I think they should pick the best players of the game (around 200) and ask them if they want to help with the development. If they agree, they get Clan mechs and will be able to train with them on a dedicated server the devs would shutdown for "technical difficulties" and after a week. Set them loose on players. Of course the pros would have to agree with embargo on information till the start of invasion.

But how do the devs define the 'best players' ... How people get picked would have to be a very transparent process or people will moan. and this will in turn hurt the community.

I still think contests will be the fairest option. Anyone can enter ... if your good enough you win. If you win you have earned the clan slot. Simple.

No one can say oh but it was unfair ... If they don't get in they tray again next week.

Do it like a solaris match ... let people watch ... it would be amazing for the community.

#37 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:13 AM

Giving one faction of players any sort of advantage in a game like this is asking for trouble. You'll have a loyal band of die-hards who love it because of the lore, while others less familiar with the lore will check it out, decide its a 'fixed' game, and move on, taking their cash with them. I guess it comes down to whether they want to be overly-accurate, or whether they want a working, profitable game.

#38 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

Not everyone has to fight the clans, you know. Make it reward tons of extra money and XP, and people will still fight the losing battles. And those who are too high and mighty to do so, well... they can stick to their pointless IS conflicts.

#39 Thundercles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

I wouldn't think that the IS v IS conflicts were any more pointless than Clan v IS. It's all about greed any way you cut it.

#40 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

View PostThundercles, on 03 November 2011 - 08:36 AM, said:

I wouldn't think that the IS v IS conflicts were any more pointless than Clan v IS. It's all about greed any way you cut it.

Incorrect freebirth, we come to recreate the star league, the Inner Sphere's continued predations on their neighbors creates nothing other than hate and destruction.

The Clans do not attack civilian targets, only military ones. (barring Edo, that Star Captain was retracted anyway, plus the Yakuza are to blame there.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users