Final Founders Numbers

98 replies to this topic

#21 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hon. Mechwarriors;

The 5 million dollar Founders collection plate is merely the James T. Kirk brilliant transmogrification of certain doom into a fighting chance to live. It is peanuts in the world of MMO softwear developement.

Agree, except that you can still produce titles below $20M but they are likely going to be downloadable titles (XBLA, PSN, Steam) respectively free to play. Reasonably most current gen console games produced these days cost between $10M to $30M, fewer $40-$50M and very, very few above that with recent examples being GTA 4, APB, Red Dead Redemption. – LearnCocos2D Oct 15 '10 at 23:22

The slaped together nature of the scenarios and the missing features of this very pretty and stable Alpha release of my hoped to be favorite game is still worrisome.

Respectfully

Samaritan

Edited by Samaritan, 15 October 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#22 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

If it would have been a Kickstarter campaign it had to count as outstanding success of crowdfunding.
The question is how the game is received in the long run and that can not be answered until com. warfare is out for some months.
If i was a Billionaire i would spend 300 million bucks for the development but i am not and so its only 120 $ (plus another 135 $ for the family plus 480 $ from friends i brought to the game).

If MWO progresses...Perfect!

If not...i had a fun time...

#23 Jackalhit

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostLandsharkk, on 15 October 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

When is 'from the beginning'?

Actually, very shortly after the Founders' packs went on sale, there were forum posts by devs (unless it was one of those ask the devs blog posts) stating that they were looking into possibly delaying the start of premium time in open beta. This came about as many people who bought into the Founders program relayed that they are working/stationed overseas and would be unable to access the game for several months when premium goes live. So it hasn't really been "From the beginning," but if I recall correctly, this has been stated/(somewhat)in the works since roughly 1-2 weeks after Founders first went on sale.

#24 Wildcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostComassion, on 15 October 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

Great! I want to see this game succeed, and it looks like they're off to a fantastic start.

Agreed!

Damn... those numbers are amazing...... PGI and MWO is off to a Great Start

And I think the Closed Beta Testers, (for the most part) have been doing a Great Job making sure this Game will be Great and Successful!

#25 Kyle756

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostLandsharkk, on 15 October 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

About a month ago I got a refund for my founders package, clearly stating in the emails back and forth with support that it was because they were forcing founders members to spend their premium time during open beta.

3 days before founders program ends they announce that founders will have the option to start their time whenever they want.

Of course, now it's too late for me to re-buy the founders package. Had they said something even 5 days earlier I could have re-bought. Although I'm overall glad with their decision to push back open beta and allow founders the option to choose when their time starts, I still feel that PGI is SEVERELY disconnected from their customers even now.

I'll be playing this game for free, but for PGI to receive any of my money again I'm going to need to see some significant changes in how they communicate with their customers.

The main value of the founders pack were being able to help produce the game, the exclusive founders mechs, founders tag, and ingame currency. If anything the premimum account for 3 months along with beta access were bonuses. I'd have to agree in saying you jumped the gun.

Edited by Kyle756, 15 October 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#26 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostLandsharkk, on 15 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

There wouldn't be so much garbage on the forums if PGI took a moment to respond to the concerns and interacted/communicated with their beta testers. As it stands now, some garbage is posted, then more garbage is posted, and PGI never steps in to even acknowledge any false statements or try to provide some feedback regarding the complaint. That's a concern to me.

There's a 26 page thread in the beta discussion forum of people whining about changes in MM and premades DESPITE a very clear email being sent out explaining everything you needed to know about what was going to change. It would be the full time job of two people just to keep answering the same question over, and over, and over again. They're doing a great job.

View PostLandsharkk, on 15 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Also, I appreciate the quick jab at me personally on your last line there. My attitude was very constructive for a long time during beta (months), but at some point you start losing faith, when PGI continues to make the game client worse, fails to respond to concerns or complaints, and then has the gall to mention going open beta/release with a broken game. I'm sorry, I've been taking part in betas for over 2 decades now, and I've seen this kind of behavior before, from many many other developer teams in the past. Let me assure you, it doesn't usually end up well for the game or the customers.

Earlier behavior aside it's not very positive right now.

I really don't understand the freak out over premium time. One year from now when they release a major update are you going to complain that your premium time was wasted on the initial release? Premium time simply earns you more CBills and XP which is as good now as it will be in the future. You save what you earn for the future - not the ability to earn more.

Edited by TruePoindexter, 16 October 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#27 Ram71

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

why would anyone want a refund???? are they nuts?? this has been the best money i've spent in a long time and even with the hiccups of beta it's been pretty damn fun. Long live MWO!!!!!!

#28 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Locationnear Seattle, WA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

I kind of wonder what would have happened if those of us who asked for refunds never asked in the first place?

Would we be seeing a rushed Open Beta tomorrow?

I think the lesson here is that PGI listened because we spoke with our $$$. Of course, those of us who actually did the talking (got out $$$ refunded) are constantly being told "You jumped the gun" or "you don't care about MWO, go back to COD".

I had the balls enough to ask for a refund because I expect quality and smart decisions from the companies I invest it. They weren't making good decision, so I pulled my investment out. Now, they changed their minds and made some better decisions. I say it was an overall success from the standpoint of those who got refunds.

Note: Investment is not the best word to use, so don't take it literally.

Edited by Landsharkk, 15 October 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#29 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 15 October 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

wow... if those are the final founders numbers, id really like to see at least half that many people on when the game goes live. I would love to see what the servers do with that kind of stress lol

I doubt we will ever see half the Founders on at one time. We all span the globe, and unfortunately work and sleep get in the way lol...

#30 Wildcat

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostRam71, on 15 October 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

why would anyone want a refund???? are they nuts?? this has been the best money i've spent in a long time and even with the hiccups of beta it's been pretty damn fun. Long live MWO!!!!!!

I agree Entirely.... been the best $120 on any Game I have spent... and this $120 was spent on a game in Closed Beta! and I have never regretted Spending it, not even for a second...

We have the Best possible Developers in control, and I should know... from the other Failed games and companys that I have tested for, that never listen to their Testers...

But PGI do Listen to their Testers, and because of that PGI and MWO will be a Great Success !

#31 Cesaro

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Darn I have the worst luck. I finally get enough money to buy into the Founder's Program and it just ended.

#32 1ceTr0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationMoving at long last....

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Dont' forget about taxation and likely publisher fee's and what not from our founders money so I doubt that PGI got the "full" amount of our funding

Edited by 1ceTr0n, 15 October 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#33 Xlaminator

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCentral Europe

View PostLandsharkk, on 15 October 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

I kind of wonder what would have happened if those of us who asked for refunds never asked in the first place?

Would we be seeing a rushed Open Beta tomorrow?

I think the lesson here is that PGI listened because we spoke with our $$$. Of course, those of us who actually did the talking (got out $$$ refunded) are constantly being told "You jumped the gun" or "you don't care about MWO, go back to COD".

I had the balls enough to ask for a refund because I expect quality and smart decisions from the companies I invest it. They weren't making good decision, so I pulled my investment out. Now, they changed their minds and made some better decisions. I say it was an overall success from the standpoint of those who got refunds.

Note: Investment is not the best word to use, so don't take it literally.

They delayed OB because they are no total idiots and realized after the massive threadnaughts in the forums that the game with the lag-issues was simply not ready to be released.
You are overinterpreting the might of the few, that put out the "refund-hammer", and you are undervaluing the constructive reactions of many concerned but still loyal founders and testers about a preemtive OB-phase.

So yes, you jumped the gun. And you did not understand that in fact the Founders-Packages ARE an investment into a product, many of us stii believe and think it will be grat and fun to come true.

#34 1ceTr0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationMoving at long last....

View PostLandsharkk, on 15 October 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

About a month ago I got a refund for my founders package, clearly stating in the emails back and forth with support that it was because they were forcing founders members to spend their premium time during open beta.

3 days before founders program ends they announce that founders will have the option to start their time whenever they want.

Of course, now it's too late for me to re-buy the founders package. Had they said something even 5 days earlier I could have re-bought. Although I'm overall glad with their decision to push back open beta and allow founders the option to choose when their time starts, I still feel that PGI is SEVERELY disconnected from their customers even now.

I'll be playing this game for free, but for PGI to receive any of my money again I'm going to need to see some significant changes in how they communicate with their customers.

Posted Image

Edited by 1ceTr0n, 15 October 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#35 Wildcat

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostXlaminator, on 15 October 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

They delayed OB because they are no total idiots and realized after the massive threadnaughts in the forums that the game with the lag-issues was simply not ready to be released.
You are overinterpreting the might of the few, that put out the "refund-hammer", and you are undervaluing the constructive reactions of many concerned but still loyal founders and testers about a preemtive OB-phase.

So yes, you jumped the gun. And you did not understand that in fact the Founders-Packages ARE an investment into a product, many of us stii believe and think it will be grat and fun to come true.

I agree.... most of us never threatened to pull our funding to get our way.......... we had the best interests of MWO and PGI in Mind and at Heart, it was never the Threat of Funding being pulled.... its just the FACT that the Developers Listen to their Testers, we told them somethings are Wrong and need fixing before the game goes to Open Beta to be a Great Success!

#36 Xlaminator

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCentral Europe

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

oh, and btw, I upgraded my Foundership to the max just 2 days before the offer ended, because I like what was accomplished till now and I am sure, I´ll have hundreds of hours of pure fun with this product, no matter how long it will take to it´s final incarnation.

Very well spent 120 bucks imho...

#37 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

So they've made over 5 million (have to account for closed beta MC purchases) before the games even out of closed beta. I'd say that the games off to a pretty good start.

#38 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Locationnear Seattle, WA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostXlaminator, on 15 October 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

About the term 'investment'. Money spent on entertainment is NOT an investment. You get nothing of value in return. Yes, you get to play a game, but you don't actually own anything or get any money back. Spending money on games is just an entertainment expense, nothing more. The people who do get something in return are those getting paid/working for PGI.

Also, it seems to me like you are ignoring all of those who requested a refund and how they influenced the delay or open beta. Instead, all I hear is a bunch of people ******** at those who got refunds, nothing about "hey, we stand by your decision and I'm glad you were able to speak with your wallet", etc.

Edited by Landsharkk, 15 October 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#39 Xlaminator

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCentral Europe

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostLandsharkk, on 15 October 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

About the term 'investment'. Money spent on entertainment is NOT an investment. You get nothing of value in return. Yes, you get to play a game, but you don't actually own anything or get any money back. Spending money on games is just an entertainment expense, nothing more. The people who do get something in return are those getting paid/working for PGI.

You are wrong, I get my personal enjoyment back, That IS something of value, in fact it has much more value than that crap you call valuable money...
Enjoyment I get is something persistent, it enrichens my life, so it in fact is something of value!

#40 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

View PostLandsharkk, on 15 October 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Also, it seems to me like you are ignoring all of those who requested a refund and how they influenced the delay or open beta. Instead, all I hear is a bunch of people ******** at those who got refunds, nothing about "hey, we stand by your decision and I'm glad you were able to speak with your wallet", etc.

It's likely that the few people threatening to get refunds (and the very very few who actually went through with the threat) had very little to do with any kind of Open Beta delay. It likely was the feedback they got from those beta testers who are actually ... you know ... really beta testing and really giving constructive actionable feedback via the Tickets system.

I respect PGI/IGP for giving your money back when you requested it. I'm glad you were able to get your money back.

Having said that, I cannot agree with anybody who made the decision to pull support from the game at this point. The game has been making progress with every patch. Sure there have been a couple of hiccups, but they are fixing far more than they are breaking. They have said for a long time now that they will launch with a Minimum Viable Product.

What we have right now pretty much defines MVP. This will be the Lone Wolf experience when Community Warfare is introduced, just with a few more 'Mechs and maps added. Maybe C3 voice chat will be integrated by then. But that stuff is add-ons to the MVP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users