397 replies to this topic

#241 Atham MacKinaw

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts
  • LocationColorado, U.S.A.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Of the three insignias, Clubs is the one I like best, actually. Has character. Hearts is the one that I'm not sold on. No one part of it seems bad to me, just doesn't seem to flow or mesh quite right. But then, I'm not exactly artsy or qualified to critique those that are.

#242 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

View PostRaisinscone, on 08 July 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Hi I'm back and permanant.
Another shameless bump.

Welcome back Rais :D

View PostBeardybloke, on 08 July 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Hmm I see what you mean Jace. My suggestion and the animal I think of from the clubs description would be a ram, butting heads and all that. Maybe try it with a ram skull facing out or maybe a bull's skull. There a bit of a common choice though.

I know I said maybe a bull previously but quite like the ram idea.... or maybe an antelope..... Ibyx or something... tad more exotic but still the whole 'Banging heads' ethos... though to be honest I quite like the Rhino skull... but as it is your new command Jace, am thinking you should be the one feeling the love for this one the most!

I am not going to comment on the Spades one... I am biased seein' how it fits my name as well!

Was wondering if the Diamonds should keep with the games theme and go with a Rook Chess Piece....

Edited by KJ Crow, 09 July 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#243 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

Insignias:

Spades - I really like
Hearts - Like, but the tongue makes me uncomfortable
Clubs - It scares me...but to be fair, I thought it was a gangster dinosaur skull before I read the comments and figured out it was supposed to be a rhino.

As far as the ideas for Diamond goes, I like the idea of a rook, but I'm also partial to just seeing a straight up artillery piece. Doesn't exactly fit the aesthetic though. That is unless you changed everything.

Clubs - AT Helicopter (AH-64 Apache...you know, that thing that kills tanks) A-10 Warthog would be iconic as well.
Hearts - Tank (Leopard 2, fast, accurate and provides a variety of damage at all ranges)
Spades - Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit AKA the Stealth Bomber, the ultimate in locate, strike, and run.
Diamonds - Artillery (155 mm Self-Propelled Howitzer G6 Rhino, manoeuvrable long range, high damage, fire and forget.)

I know that won't happen, but I'm bored and wanted to look up stuff. It's too bad there isn't an animal with laser eyes or long range killing capabilities...then Diamond wouldn't be so difficult.

#244 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Errrrm ---- No animals with laser eyes or long range killing.... could go for long range incapacitation - Spitting Cobra.... or something to represent the LRM/ Missile barrage - a Wasp?(swarm type thing)....

#245 Maleficarum

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States, Georgia

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hey Jace, whats the true purpose of the the individual Division insignias? Are we trying to impress our contract clientele, or invoke fear in our enemies? or do both? Also, are the colors you have set in stone or will they be reflective of the Blazing Aces colors? If our mechs are a magnificent white with a blazing red trim, which is awesome, then how would the division insignias look. A slanted half red, half white Spade with a thin blacktrim border would look good against our brilliant white and red trim mechs. Are the insignias going to be placed on our mechs or is that possible?
Just curious

#246 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

Wait, why doesn't Diamond Division (or Double D for short) have a pin-up girl? Diamonds are a girl's best friend right? Oh wait, I just turned gambling/card references into something of a 1940's wet dream. Oh well, I just want something good to represent the division I will be in for a long time.

#247 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostSarriss, on 09 July 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

Hearts - Like, but the tongue makes me uncomfortable

I had to go back and look at it to figure out what you were talking about, I'm going to go back and touch it up to try to fix this. It's not a tongue, it's the gap between the back of the mouth and the front teeth, and it's transparent so you happen to see the red from the hearts icon underneath.

View PostMaleficarum, on 09 July 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Hey Jace, whats the true purpose of the the individual Division insignias?

The true purpose is my own amusement. I'll probably use them to make some division-specific forum signatures, and they may get used on the website at some point. Morson also has something pretty hilariously awesome he's working on that will use them, but we'll see if that pans out.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that putting custom graphics on mechs in MWO won't be possible. Even if it is, we'll likely just use the naked suit icon since it would be more visible at the super-low resolution you typically have to work with for such things.

View PostKJ Crow, on 09 July 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

I am not going to comment on the Spades one... I am biased seein' how it fits my name as well!

Oh don't be like that. Give to me straight, doc.

Edited by Jace Nevada, 09 July 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#248 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostJace Nevada, on 09 July 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Oh don't be like that. Give to me straight, doc.

Don't panic Jace.... I like it!.... as I said though, I am heavily biased as it is close on Crow shaped

(Any critique.....maybe slightly stretch the wings out wider... swap the base colours over so the bird is dark grey body/ white wingtips and the Spade is Black with a grey outline?).... but is great as it is!

#249 Atham MacKinaw

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts
  • LocationColorado, U.S.A.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostSarriss, on 09 July 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

Wait, why doesn't Diamond Division (or Double D for short) have a pin-up girl? Diamonds are a girl's best friend right? Oh wait, I just turned gambling/card references into something of a 1940's wet dream. Oh well, I just want something good to represent the division I will be in for a long time.

Hmmm, I can get behind this idea. Division specializing in long range bombardment with some WWII bomber stylings? Pin-up girl on the mechs, bomber jackets and scarves on the pilots (outside the mechs, to keep them from catching cold in sweaty undies).

Or could go with a comet or falling star. Pretty, glittering piece of mass destruction falling out of the sky. I suddenly have the urge to say, "Twinkle, twinkle". Strange. Anyway, would match Diamonds. Flaming comets to match the Blazing Aces on the mechs

Finally, can think of two more animals that do have ranged attacks, and a third that mythically did. Archer fish spitting water is... bleh. Monkeys flinging *stuff* is.... interesting. Porcupines flinging quills I think would be cool, but might need far more detail than the other insignias which would keep it from fitting in. Okay, done with my brainstorming through typing session. Hope it sparks something.

#250 Killian Wargear

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNortheastern USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

On my way to the hotel. Very old hotel. Actually it's so old the original bellhop here was the guy who first put telephones and batherooms in individual rooms rather than shared ones per floor :-) work was interesting. It was hot with no shade. Nothing new but one of our guys had a heart attack. I noticed he looked ashamed and confused and investigated only to call 911 and get help. We are all level one emt trained. I'll check back in a few to see these division insignias

#251 Nic Dodgers

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hey Victor,

I'm interested in joining your crew. I've been playing MechWarrior games for as long as they have been making them.

I'm a team player and my preference is to be in your Diamond section for long range support. I don't have much "league" experience, but have been part of many MMORPG guilds over the years.

Let me know what other info you may require. Hope to be working with you in the field.

Thanks!

#252 Fred Sampson

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hello again folks, and especially my beloved Hearts.

I haven't dropped off the earth, just been busy with various things. Looking forward to our permanent website and forums going live so we can all keep in better contact.

Here's a rough outline I worked up for my Diamonds insignia suggestion -

(Image was here)

A diamondback rattlesnake. Additionally appropriate due to the surprising distance a rattlesnake can strike from a coiled position.

EDIT - Image removed as it was a work in progress.

Edited by Fred Sampson, 15 July 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#253 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostFred Sampson, on 09 July 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Hello again folks, and especially my beloved Hearts.

I haven't dropped off the earth, just been busy with various things. Looking forward to our permanent website and forums going live so we can all keep in better contact.

Here's a rough outline I worked up for my Diamonds insignia suggestion -

Posted Image

A diamondback rattlesnake. Additionally appropriate due to the surprising distance a rattlesnake can strike from a coiled position.

DOhhhh Why the hell didn't any of us think of a 'Diamondback' for Diamonds.... especially as I had one close to hand every time I have been typing this drivel! (The Mouse, not the Snake... I may be recon, but I don't have that much of a deathwish!)

#254 Beardybloke

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 60 posts
  • Locationi'm here *points at the UK*

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Snakes.....why'd it have to be snakes! B)

Seriously can't believe we missed this lol, good call Fred.

I do hope they will let us put our own logos onto the mechs at some point, i'm not even sure if we can customize the paint jobs yet :unsure:

roll on August 7th!

#255 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

Jace - I like that you commented on my "tongue" complaint but didn't even justify my "gangster dinosaur skull" remark with a response. I guess there are no words for my...unique...uh...perspective.

#256 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

I like the Rhino.

#257 Aidan Ramsdell

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

great call on the snake Fred! yeah i rear like these unit decals. Oh, should we have little stars around our personal icons, like i'm a 5 of spades, so I get five little stars?

#258 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

I plan on using a combination of the Blazing Aces insignia and the KOTIS insignia. Haven't had a chance to design it yet.

#259 Maleficarum

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUnited States, Georgia

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

The Diamond Back is a good Idea for the Diamond Division, I like it. Good call Fred.

#260 Fred Sampson

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

A more agressive-looking concept for the Hearts logo (if agressive and cartoon hearts can ever go together, hehe) -

EDIT - Image removed as it was a work in progress.

Edited by Fred Sampson, 15 July 2012 - 02:12 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users