Blazing Aces

397 replies to this topic

#81 Aggammenonn

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

hmm, not trying to be a buzzkill, but as a Cannon Merc unit, isnt the name Blazing Aces offlimits?

#82 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

The Blazing Aces are never mentioned outside Mechwarrior and, I think, Crescent Hawk's Inception. Certainly never named anywhere in Classic Battletech, so the canonicity of it with regards to it being a banned name is uncertain. We've considered the possibility though and we have contingency plans if we can't use the name.

Regardless, as far as we're concerned, we've always been the Blazing Aces and we always will be, even if we can't officially use the name in-game.

#83 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostAggammenonn, on 31 May 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

hmm, not trying to be a buzzkill, but as a Cannon Merc unit, isnt the name Blazing Aces offlimits?

Errrrm I am sure I should let someone else clarify/argue this point - but here is the infor from Sarna.net

"Gideon Braver is the player's alter ego in the MechWarrior computer game. The game and its storyline are apocryphal (see section about Canonicity in that article); they are expressly not included among the list of canonical sources for the BattleTech universe, but it has been also said that information from certain sources indicating this one can be assumed to be part of the shared universe if it makes sense, until contradicted. MechWarrior in particular is one of the computer games where the storyline is widely treated as canonical.
The demise of the Blazing Aces and the death of Gideon Braver were narrated in a subsequent game (BattleTech: The Crescent Hawks' Revenge), also apocryphal, between missions. Much content from the Crescent Hawks games was fully canonized, including their general storylines; it remains unclear if this means by extension that Gideon Braver and the Blazing Aces, who feature in this storyline, were thus also canonized."

From this, we can assume we sit in that glorious grey area of being written about but not actually canon in any FASA BT resources other than the pamphlet/ short story in the intro to a Video Game instruction manual!.....I would also like to say, unlike many of the players founding units, although we mention Gideon Braver, none of us has had the audacity to actually name ourselves as such.

Our unit history is written with the same info as the canon, we will effectively be destroyed in 3051.... but there is no indication of what we are doing as of 3049.... only that we operate as a mercenary unit and that our allegiances/ contracting preferences are 'up to the player'

Actually reading this I am actually thinking we have less problems with canon than a hell of a lot of the others out there!

(EDIT - Sorry Jace, was in full swing as you posted!)

Edited by KJ Crow, 31 May 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#84 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostKJ Crow, on 31 May 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Our unit history is written with the same info as the canon, we will effectively be destroyed in 3051.... but there is no indication of what we are doing as of 3049.... only that we operate as a mercenary unit and that our allegiances/ contracting preferences are 'up to the player'

Well said Crow!

Notably at the end of CSR, Braver's daughter is left with the task of rebuilding the Aces. Originally when we first took on the moniker it was in a league set in the 3060s, meaning we took the angle that it was after the rebuilding. However things play out, I do plan to be fighting Ghost Bear/Smoke Jag in 3051 ;)

#85 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yeah the canonicity is awkward. The unit is never mentioned in any of the novels nor sourcebooks, just the initial Mech game. It's part of the universe, but it's never mentioned in any official material. Hopefully we'll get the pass, if not, we have some back up ideas.

#86 Aggammenonn

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

I'm all for you guys being the Blazing Aces. I loved Mechwarrior, I have a pic in a photo album of me playing it when I was like 10 or so. I tried playing it several years later but ... well, it didnt work so well on faster computers :(

#87 Poundcake

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostJace Nevada, on 31 May 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

Regardless, as far as we're concerned, we've always been the Blazing Aces and we always will be, even if we can't officially use the name in-game.

So I thought I would make some suggestions in the event we cant use Blazing Aces. I submit the following:

Grazing Faces
Baby Laces
Ace of Bases
Basing Baseheads
Blayo Acesgo
The Borg

Those are my suggestion.

Edited by Poundcake, 02 June 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#88 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

More likely we'd just name ourselves after a specific company within the Aces. Wildcard Company, Blackjack Company, something along those lines.

#89 ElliottTarson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSomewhere close enough, but far enough away.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

Good morning all. Application forthcoming.

A little about your experience with MechWarrior and BattleTech, or team games in general, in particular League play?

I've been playing Mechwarrior since the first VG incarnation, although the majority of my time in the universe was spent in MW2. I've nearly 1000 or more hours in game between the six VG's, and throughly enjoy the experience. My father, Redblade, will also end up applying after I've told him about the new incarnation. Myself and him still regularly play MW4 together online and in LAN matches.

That being said, i've very little "League" experience. Beyond the single player portions, which unfortunately are easily dominated, I've only ever competed in one actual League match. The fact that we played against a very low ranked group, and only won because of a fluke PPC shot, made us realize at the time that we weren't exactly ready to join. Real life interefered, and you can guess the rest.

Why you're interested in the Aces

I believe firmly in battling with a trusted team. Grabbing any old pilot and jumping into a battle is a sure enough way to get yourself killed, or at least waste a few million C-bills on a new 'Mech. Structure is key to winning, and everyone likes winning, right?

What division you are interested In?

Most likely either Hearts or Spades. I prefer a Medium to Heavy mech, Medium being a flanker and Heavy being either a Standoff with lots of smaller, long ranged ballistics, or a close in fighter with plenty of scouring energy weapons.

PLAYTIME:
Usually between the hours of 7pm-11pm, and again from 7am to roughly 11am-Noon.
I work 11pm-7am.

Thank you for your consideration, regardless of your decision.

Patrick "Tarson" Elliott

Edited by ElliottTarson, 03 June 2012 - 01:40 AM.

#90 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Morson fell down some stairs and went face first into the concrete, so until he posts here and says otherwise, I'll be acting as the main point of contact for the unit. If you messaged him in the last couple days, you should probably forward it to me to get a timely response.

#91 black oak

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Sent PM to you Jace.

#92 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

Ouch, I hope Morson is alright. Face + Concrete = Pain in the...well...face.

#93 ElliottTarson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSomewhere close enough, but far enough away.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostJace Nevada, on 03 June 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Morson fell down some stairs and went face first into the concrete, so until he posts here and says otherwise, I'll be acting as the main point of contact for the unit. If you messaged him in the last couple days, you should probably forward it to me to get a timely response.

Been there, done that. Give him my best wishes, it's a painful thing to endure.

#94 Sillymicrobe

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hey Guys, I have been aware of this clans presence for quite some time now. That is mostly due to the fact that I personally know the pilot Dezgra. I have played Mechwarrior 2 for Playstation, Mechwarrior: 3, Mechwarrior 4: Mercs, and all the MekPaks. I've also played MWLL, and Mechassault if that atrocity even counts. Among other 'Teamplay' Games I've played would include World of Tanks foremost, and some Battlefeild here and there.

I've never played in a league, mostly due to my time available, and hope to be as much help to you as possible.
Also, I'd prefer to be in the division of Hearts if possible.

#95 THE Leo

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

I was introduced into the Mech unvierse through the games Mechassault 1 and Mechassault 2: Lone Wolf. I enjoyed the games and although i wasn't a huge online player at the time i devoted endless hours to the campaigns, with friends, or challenging myself to survive longer and longer against endless waves of increasingly harder Mechs in the offline surivival mode. I piloted the conceptual Ragnarok against Atlas', Uziels, Cougars, MadCats and others. I realize that MWO is competely different but i can adapt to the cockpit view as opposed to the simplistic controls of the Mechassault series. I would serve as an excellent scout or assault class. I find anything in the middle redundant. I am either focusing on scouting for my team or focusing on dealing as much as damage as possible while coordinating with my team.

This time i want to take my experience to the next level and play with people who can strageize as a squad but whom i can also treat like family. This is where you guys seemingly come in. My life is not going to revolve around playing MWO so i think that a Joker/Club designation would be appropiate since i won't be online often. This is my only forum profile (THE Leo) but i have one other profile as a member in the Dire Wolves (Alpha Regiment) of the Wolf's Dragoon's. I don't want to limit myself to one group of friends (since that's what i am hoping we'll be) so i hope you guys can consider admitting me. I realize being member of two different Mercs can pose problems should the two fight, but then i would assume a neutral standpoint. Besides who knows? Maybe the Blazing Aces and the Wolf's Dragoon's don't have to be rivals. I would obviously create another profile for the Blazing Aces.

And finally all i can say is ..... OMG I WAITED SO LONG FOR ANOTHER MECH GAME!!!!!! *cough*cough*

#96 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

I put up another terrible poem in the poetry thread on the fanfiction forums. This most recent one was about my Griffin pilot in our Megamek game from Friday.

#97 CabooseJr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hey guys,
I am currently a lone wolf looking for a good group of people to run with. I played MW4 Vengeance and still play Mercenaries on occasion. I also actively play LoL and DotA 2 (teamwork aspects). First impression i get, it looks like y'all are significantly more organized than a lot of other merc groups. Would love to become a part of the Blazing Aces just to get in with a good group of guys. I'm not sure exactly how I will fit into the divisions but most likely club or spade, maybe heart. In MW4 I love taking faster mechs with substantial firepower for their tonnage (Executioner, Stormcrow, Jenner (Owens in MW4), etc).
Please shoot me a pm if it sounds like I might be a good fit.
Cheers,
Drew B

#98 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:46 AM

I remember Caboose from MW4. Are you related?

#99 CabooseJr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

I have no idea if it is the same one. If I was running around like a bloody ***** in a flea trying to kill an Atlas then yeah, thats me :o

I do seem to remember the name though.

#100 Sikreci

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

This has nothing to do with Mechwarrior but I'm going to post it anyway. I made this yesterday out of the photos I took of the transit of Venus. Pretty happy with how well it turned out considering I just used a cheap point and shoot camera held up to the eyepiece of my telescope.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users