ALL JOYSTICK USERS

joystick flight system HOTAS configuration config controller

373 replies to this topic

#41 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostSo who took Pilot Name as a name, on 19 December 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

THERE IS A GOD *ahem* I mean, thanks guys! I was feeling a bit hopeless but then again, hadn't even STARTED to look up those forums for assistance, so yeah! Glad to see I can get THAT out of the way.

I wonder, how ''limited'' are we at editing that file? I sure want to assign my j1_pov0_right* to ''turning my cam/arns 90­° right'' and j1_pov0_left to ''turning my cam/arm 90° left''. But that very option isn't part of the controls in-game, there's only a way to assign ''Free Look''.

*apparently, it detects my 360 controller as j0, but I'm not using that one so whatever! Speaking of which, would I have to write ''cl_joystick1_[function]'' (naming convention used in this thread) or ''cl_j1_[function]'' (naming convention used in-game) in my USER.CFG file to assign it to my Wingman and not my 360 controller?

No. The j0 / j1 naming convention does not apply to the USER.CFG file.

jo / j1 / j whatever is designated in the the MW:O client's Options menu. Assignments made in there are stored in the Actionmaps.xml file. The naming convention applies in that file, which will store both controller axis assignments and controller button assignments. Use an XML editor, such as Notepad++ to edit that file, if you choose to. make a backup copy first. :D

The USER.CFG file does not contain assignments. Rather, it can contain modifiers (ie. Inverting the throttle axis, splitting the throttle axis into a -100% to +100% range, sensitivity, gain, etc.). If you think of USER.CFG as being sentient, it has no clue about what controller and axis from that controller is supplying the throttle inputs. It's just concerned with tweaking the signal that Actionmaps.XML says is the throttle signal. USER.CFG is a plain text file, and can be edited with Notepad.

USER.CFG can modify many things... (ie. joystick / throttle axis behavior, mouse behavior, graphic settings)

As for that turning the cam/arms thing... The axis assignments that are available for designation are shown in the MW:O client Options menu. By now, you have likely noticed that the arms track the mouse by default, and that the torso slews to catch up to the arms. There is also a "freelook" mode. You may be able to contrive something that works the way you want to, or at least approaches it.

#42 Taranchio

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

For those who are still having fun times with sensitivity and deadzones, I found this

http://mwomercs.com/...ech-saitek-fix/

in the user support forum.

Seems there is quite a bit more flexibility in joystick setup than the user.cfg tweaks pasted everywhere actually led me to believe.

#43 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Is there anyway we could get min/max numbers for the gain, sensitivity and deadzone numbers? and what increments they go by (one or two decimal places)?

#44 Cosmo Sparks

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

View PostBlackBeltJones, on 02 December 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

Yes it is. I had been doing exactly this until recently. I used the CH Pro Throttle and select 'invert throttle' with a button on the throttle. This gives me the full throttle for each direction. I have adjusted my control layout recently and found that a centered throttle allows for faster negotiation of my forward and reverse actions at low speeds.

I'm trying to setup my throttle this way as well. Unfortunately, when I try this by not setting the throttle_range value or setting it to 0, the invert_throttle flag seems to stop working. I've trying both 0 and 1 and by throttle still runs backwards. Any recommendations.

#45 x CRASH x

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'm having difficulty in options to get the leg turning and torso turning set up correctly. I've got the torso sorted out, but turning left and turning right are two seperate selections, and using the 'x axis' only allows me to turn one way. Is there a way to use the X axis for turning the legs?

#46 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

x Crash x. You want to assign your controller axes in the joystick fields at the bottom, NOT near the top where it gives you the option of turn left/right. You want the full axis to be controlled by your controller Al. You want to assign your x axis to "turn", not turn right at the top.

And be warned: Turning your mech is on/off only with no proportional input. You are better off controlling the turn with rudder pedals and leave the joystick to control the cockpit facing/arms

Edited by Hammerhai, 31 December 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#47 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Throttle range is only there to give you a 2 way throttle with a middle stop. Disabling it leaves you with the normal throttle where you need to push the button to reverse. IN fact it does not disable the reverse speed button either, leaving you with inverting your throttle in mid stride if you do not watch out

Roadbeer, there is no documentation, You are out of luck and on your own.

Cosmo, paste this in your user.cfg
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1

#48 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Having problems getting your stick to work? Try this:
http://mwomercs.com/...stick-remapper/

#49 XTRMNTR2K

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Is there anyone still being able to use a G940 properly?

It used to be amazing and fun to play with it using a slightly modified user.cfg. The deadzone was very small by default, which made aiming with this stick incredibly precise, even for sniping.

However, that is no longer the case. Something in one of the previous patches - I think it was in November - seems to have broken the previous compatibility. The tweaks previously used don't seem to work anymore, which is one of the reasons I stopped playing completely until two days ago. After two hours of trying to get a playable result I gave up, completely and utterly frustrated. For some reason the deadzone much too large, even when editing it via user.cfg; beyond the deadzone, however, the initial input is too much, making proper aiming at anything beyond point blank absolutely impossible. I've tried a lot of things, but this is what I currently have:

cl_joystick_gain = 2
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.00000001

i_joystick_buffered = 0 //disables the Joystick buffering which greatly increases the joystick's sensitivity

Any ideas what else I could do? I really miss being able to play MWO with my HOTAS setup, it was just as good as a KB+M setup (but of course much more immersive), even with the digital mech turning.

I'm kind of desperate here... If it turns out there's currently no fix for this, I'm gonna pack up my G940 and make room for my racing wheel again... and stop playing MWO for at least half a year or so.

Edited by XTRMNTR2K, 18 January 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#50 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

I can run one with no problems at all now. That due to the engine is one of the last things that will get a total fix. Yes, I would play GT5 with my wheel if I did not know its going to be perfect. try dead zone .1 those zeros would drive me crazy.

Edited by shotokan5, 21 January 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#51 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

XTRMN:
I think the problem lies in your joystick sensitivity. Try INCREASING the sensitivity, (NOT the gain) to DECREASE the movement of the torso at the centre. Yes, for whatever reason it works *** backwards.GAIN is for large, fast movements and controls those, sensitivity is supposed to control the finer aiming movements. INCREASE gain to speed up larger movements.

This is only a guess, as it is odd that the same joystick should suddenly be awkward, as long as you used the same settings. Also, afaik the smallest possible setting for deadzone is 0.05. That's it. Comment it out with a semi colon at the beginning of the line.

#52 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostNeoHax, on 06 November 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

will i be able to use my xbox 360 controller

You can already use your xbox pad. But i can assure you, you will get your *** kicked.

Just curious. How in the world would aiming your guns work with a joystick? Would you just use the mouse as normal?

Edited by Mordynak, 23 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#53 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostMordynak, on 23 January 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

You can already use your xbox pad. But i can assure you, you will get your *** kicked.

Just curious. How in the world would aiming your guns work with a joystick? Would you just use the mouse as normal?

It's not like you need a ton of gun-aiming precision if the majority of your opponents are well under 90m and occupy the better part of your screen. Not everyone is into sniping a pixel from the far side of the map.

But personally, I just use the joystick (xbox controller) to operate my throttle and legs. I control my torso via the mouse. In short, I'm merely replacing the keyboard with a device I find *far* more intuitive and responsive. And once (if) analog turning is implemented, I assure you, it's the keyboard users who are going to be getting their ***** kicked.

#54 Psiwolf

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Well, I just purchased an X52 HOTAS and I'll be right here with you guys trying to figure it out next monday. Can't wait to start. ;)

#55 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

no because they break so easy and its over a lot of years. x52 are cheap quality and overpriced. I like the lights though.

#56 PeptoB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationUSA, Bread Basket

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

If you are having problems setting up your joystick, add the following to your USER.CFG file:

NOTE:
Remember, turning a Mech (it's feet) is a DIGITAL (on/off) movement at the moment. This means when you press left or right to turn your Mech, it turns just like you're pressing the A or D key on the keyboard. Slight movements on the joystick react like a key press. We know this is not how sim players want it and it should be small movements = slow turns. The problem is, the fix requires a huge code update on Mech movement. This is something we cannot tackle at the moment but it IS going to be addressed. We just can't give you a confirmed date of delivery.

Paul and company, isn't the moment a bit long in the tooth? We have a huge community that is waiting for this one last hurrah for analog left/right turn. I am a patient person, and love the MW franchise, but I play with a Stick like all of the past MW games I have owned (and that is all of them). I like the way the game is going, but without a joystick, well...

Anyway, I can limp without having you guys "generate" a usable joystick model for every manufacturer out there. Heck, I think the mod community has a profile for just about every setup. But there is nothing that most of us can do to work around this one last shortcoming.

My plea has been made...again...as if anyone from PGI would read this thread anymore after it's inception...sigh!!!!

Pepto :(

#57 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

pepto don't give up. the reason is that by hounding staff tech and complaints.
the cry engine is like an onion. it si blilt in layers. sadly one of the last layers that can be done is Joystick.
Thats why the joystick has not changed in such a long time. Sadly the joystick is like building a new car engine one of
the last things you do before finishing is put in a battery well think of the joystick as a battery.

no for example the 3D extreme Pro will work as well as many others that have been around a while. You can now purchase one because they are still being made.

so as the song says don't worry be happy. it will be here for all jock stick jockys. By the way from numeras emails most of the techs what the joystick becasue when its right take that you keyboarders you. lol ment as joke. in the opening where in the powerup sequence I still can't find the keyboard look what he has his hands on joystick throttle and well pedels that finishes that argument . ;)

#58 willrnlds

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

I'm having a problem. I have an axis bound to Turn, but I'm having trouble controlling the speed of the turn.

Lets say I'm shooting lasers at someone running sideways to my view. I'm pressing my joystick to match their rate of movement. Now they're reaching the end of my torso twist, so I go to begin turning gently, and it slams to full speed. My cursor flies off the target. It would require an instantaneous movement of the joystick (impossible) not to lose target. Versus being able to slowly begin turning legs, as you equally ease off turning the torso. Much better reticle control.

What's the deal? ETA? or am I SOL?

Edited by willrnlds, 22 February 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#59 Alek Raynz

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

The turn axis is still digital only. During the last "Ask the Devs" they confirmed it will be going analog and we'll be getting better joystick support eventually, but didn't say when.

#60 V8i Gunner

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostWildedge, on 01 November 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

I'm very interested in trying your set up. I sent you a message. I've been discouraged with my attempts to set up a CH Fighterstick Pro Joystick and Pedals, going back to the mouse every time. The Gain and Sensitivity settings seem nearly impossible to me to get right.

Could one of you guys send me a message with that config?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users