373 replies to this topic

#61 Mikro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

If you are having problems setting up your joystick, add the following to your USER.CFG file:

cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
cl_joystick_deadzone = 0.1

The things you'll want to play with are:
cl_joystick_gain - The higher this value is set to, the faster a full throw of the joystick is going to move the reticule.

cl_joystick_sensitivity - The smaller this value is set to, the more sensitive your joystick will become. E.g. a slight throw of the joystick will trigger the movement. i.e. If you set this number to something big like 5, you'll smash the crud outta your joystick trying to get anything to move (which is funny in itself).

cl_joystick_throttle_range - This is a flag to tell your Joystick to have a middle STOP zone when the throttle is centered. Pushing forward makes you go forward, pulling back makes you go backward and putting the throttle in the middle will make you stop. I HIGHLY suggest you don't mess with this value. No I'm not going to help you with anything if you've messed with this value.

cl_joystick_invert_throttle - This will make sure that when you push forward on your throttle, you're going to accelerate.

cl_joystick_invert_pitch - When this is set to 1, you will look up when you pull BACK on the joystick. You will look down if you press FORWARD on the joystick. This is how airplanes work and how you should leave it unless you're some sort of demon spawn that does it backwards. If you are demon spawn, then set the value to 0 if you want to look the wrong direction when pressing forward or back on the joystick.

cl_joystick_deadzone - This is the amount of non-movement wiggle room when you're joystick is centered. The smaller you make this, the less wiggle room there will be.

NOTE:
Remember, turning a Mech (it's feet) is a DIGITAL (on/off) movement at the moment. This means when you press left or right to turn your Mech, it turns just like you're pressing the A or D key on the keyboard. Slight movements on the joystick react like a key press. We know this is not how sim players want it and it should be small movements = slow turns. The problem is, the fix requires a huge code update on Mech movement. This is something we cannot tackle at the moment but it IS going to be addressed. We just can't give you a confirmed date of delivery.

Just tried this config on a Saitek x45 just copied and pasted the lines to user config using notepad in windows 8 and your the dude IT WORKED for Me PS I'm back

#62 ego1607

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationZagreb, Croatia

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Works here also.

One problem I'm having is the throttle maped to y axis being a bit twitchy. I push a bit forward, nothing happens. Then I pus ha bit more, it jumps to about 20%, then a bit more it goes to about 30%. Then it slides much nicer to 100%

#63 David CB

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCR, Spain

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

Thanks a million for the advice Paul Inouye. Now I truly control my mech for the very first time.

Thanks again.

S!

Edited by David CB, 10 March 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#64 VarietyOfCells

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 904 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNYC

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thought I'd check back in after taking a break from the game for a while. The game is still fun, combat is coming along nicely. Once the community and persistent features are added I feel I will come back and play much more frequently.

Though I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that nothing has been done for joysticks yet. The Razer Artemis seems to have disappeared. I remember there being talk of joystick support being moved up in the schedule before I left, but I guess that was just talk. I was a big supporter of giving the devs time and not expecting to have everything immediately like a lot of people did. But it's been quite a while, and people are spending money on the game now. I do hope it's addressed by the time they decide to launch the game. Until then, I guess I'll have to extend my hiatus and come back later.

Though I am grateful to the devs for adding the ability to wait until I start my premium account. I won't be pressing that button until analog turning is in the game.

#65 keydet

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationMid-Atlantic region

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hallelujah for this thread. :D The first few times I tried to play using the joystick I got so frustrated that I ended up logging out after 1 or 2 matches. In fact I've barely played since the game came online. (Granted Civ5, GW2, SWTOR, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, and finally finishing the Riddler challenges in Batman:AC cut into my play time too. :P ) I'm glad there are other old timer players who were able to figure out the config settings and share them. Seriously did the programmers never once play the previous MW games using a joystick? Or did M$ threaten to sue them if they used the same control set ups?
Now that I've got that out of my system, I'm glad they added the testing grounds. I think it's awesome they tossed that into the game. It will make tweaking controls and getting used my personal setup much easier and less frustrating than getting my head handed to me on a silver platter in multiplayer. Now if you'll excuse me I think I'll go liberally apply some lightsaber diplomacy to the sith in SWTOR until the devs here get all the electronic warfare modules implemented.

#66 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

You will have your joystick. When you look in a Mech now you don't see a keyboard but a stick and throttle They have promised us stick jockeys it will be ready for game opening. I could tell you a story about an onion which would explain it but it will come.

#67 CGB Radar

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

I have a Saitek Cyborg X.
I have been having problms with being able to turn left or right (right now I have to torso twist in order to do this). This is extreamly annoying since I would like to be able to move in one direction while twisting in another.
Unfortunately the left or right turn in the options will not allow you to map your stick for both directions.
Also I have noticed a couple of things not working with my stick
I mapped my coolant flush and that doesn't work, hell it wont even work on my keyboard,
The ECM is not working either keyboard or stick,
Chain fire is not working either, keyboard or stick.
These settings are for the Raven.
Everything else is just fine.

#68 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Everything is working fine for me although I would like the center of the throttle range to bottom out at the idle detent rather than at the center of the range.

My rig: Hotas Warthog + Saitex combat rudder pedals.
Settings: Inverted pitch to Joy 1 y axis, Torso twist to joy 1 x axis, turning to joy 0 (rudder) and throttle to joy 2 z rot axis.

User.CFG additiions:
cl_joystick_gain = 3
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 1.25

Edited by Burner, 23 March 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#69 GriefHard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:14 AM

You can easily set the throttle to a full axxis with including the following line:

cl_joystick_throttle_range = 1

With an actual throttle "stick" (like a HOTAS) now it is off, when you pull all the way back and full when you push all the way. You need to set a key binding in the game client for "reverse throttle" to be able to change directions. I use this setting and it feels right.
For my HOTAS Warthog I had to set "invert" in the TARGET software and an addition switch in the user.cfg: cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 0

One thing is still the problem:
In the middle of the throttle position there seems to be nothing happening for about 1/4 of the throttle way. It is like a "deadzone" in the middle of the throttle range (makes sense, if you think of it as a joy axxis).
the cl_joystick_deadzone does not change behavior (I set it to 0).

Edit: Tried to add the line "cl_joystick_throttle_deadzone = 0" - but it didn't change the behaviour...

Edited by DoctorDigital, 28 March 2013 - 05:18 AM.

#70 Celldoor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have just watched for 9 months now.. still no joystick support, Guess Russ was talking crap back during founders.. well be proud Russ, you got me, you should be ashamed but probably not.. well good luck all, i am going to chalk the 120 bucks to a lesson learned... i give up.! Russ told me he would get me help.. that help was a jackass who said no time for help...

#71 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostDoctorDigital, on 28 March 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

For my HOTAS Warthog I had to set "invert" in the TARGET software and an addition switch in the user.cfg: cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 0

I was having trouble with this until I re-read the post and noticed that you had to reverse the throttle axis in TARGET. Now it works. Having trouble getting some keys to bind with Thrustmaster Combined (AKA TARGET running). i guess that I'll be making a profile for this Sim now.

Edited by Burner, 29 March 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#72 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thrustmaster Combined (AKA TARGET running). i guess that I'll be making a profile for this Sim now

I already have advanced MWO scripts for Warthog, Cougar, and T16000...

Two versions;
version 1:
uses analog pot (slew control) as a real time sensitivity adjustment -on the fly
user selects between NORM, SNAP (two relative types) and ABSOLUTE -on the fly
user selected deadzones -on the fly
shift layer to use primary buttons for secondary controls
many more features
all in-game functions sensibly mapped on HOTAS

Version 2:
fixed point sensitivity that can toggle between fixed sensitivities
automatically scales sensitivity with advanced zoom and arm lock toggle on/off (can also override with above controls)
many more features
all in-game functions on HOTAS

I myself use a Cougar that I modded just for mech piloting and it works like a champ, as part of my ongoing mechpit projects.

#73 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostLoc Nar, on 29 March 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

I already have advanced MWO scripts for Warthog, Cougar, and T16000...

Care to share yout Warthog version?

#74 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Care to share yout Warthog version?

Absolutely... and there are actually 2 versions. One that uses the analog slew control to adjust sensitivity, where the other uses fixed point settings that you toggle between. You are the first Warthog request since new functions were added, so I got a little modding to do first to bring it up to speed...

#75 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

That is great. Some users are not so willing to share their hard work and accept feedback. Please let me know when your updates are completed.

#76 Dunne

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

I tried playing over the weekend with my Logitec Attack3 joystick, but found it painfully slow. I had the stick pressed all the way to the left, and the torso would slowly swing around to the left. Pulled back and the crosshairs would ever so slowly raise into the air.

Will editing the config file as above and adjusting the sensitivity help in this regards?

#77 Burner

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostDunne, on 02 April 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

I tried playing over the weekend with my Logitec Attack3 joystick, but found it painfully slow. I had the stick pressed all the way to the left, and the torso would slowly swing around to the left. Pulled back and the crosshairs would ever so slowly raise into the air.

Will editing the config file as above and adjusting the sensitivity help in this regards?

sounds like you need to turn up the gain and maybe the sensitity. add the following to your user.cfg

User.CFG additiions:
cl_joystick_gain = 8
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 0.75

I am running 3 and 1. Gain will cause your stick to turn faster when the farther that you push it in a direction.

Edited by Burner, 02 April 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#78 GriefHard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostLoc Nar, on 31 March 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

You are the first Warthog request since new functions were added, so I got a little modding to do first to bring it up to speed...

I'd like to take a look into this, also. So, I would greatly appreciate it, if you could get that profile to me also. I also have the HOTAS Warthog.
Thank you!

#79 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Please let me know when your updates are completed.

I'd like to take a look into this, also.

PM's sent... figure better than hijacking the thread. Let me know if you run into any troubles and want the other bits I mention...

<ALL> gl,hf

#80 Flashback37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

A couple of patches ago PGI added 'joystick support" that just borked my setup.
I use a trackball mouse for torso/aiming and the throttle part of my HotasX for throttle, turn and kb functions. Since the so called upgrade I have been unable to map any functions to button 5 or 7 on the hotas. Is this a bug or a problem with my setup?
Any help is appreciated.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users