joystick flight system HOTAS configuration config controller

373 replies to this topic

#101 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostMechazoid, on 10 May 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

This is sad... I can't find user.cfg file. Im in my mechwarrior online folder. I see system.cfg. systemoverride.cfg, etc. Please help...

You can make a user.cfg file and save it into the same folder that you are seeing the system.cfg file in. It's a simple ascii text file, so you can use notepad to create it... just make sure it's saving as user.cfg, and not as something ending in .txt and you should be good.

#102 samethos

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationClearwater FL

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostNeoHax, on 06 November 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

will i be able to use my xbox 360 controller

the only thing they need to do to allow controllers to be used is to add the + and - aspects to the Y and X Axis. Which file has the control definitions? i might be able to fix that little problem.

Edit: Solved in page 4 of Using Xbox 360 controller with MWO / suport

Edited by samethos, 21 May 2013 - 04:24 AM.

#103 Lazor Sharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

with the new analog Joy Stick controls, will the adjustments in the User.cfg file still work...?

I would like to fine tune my joy stick, and not sure that this user.cfg adjustments will now work.......

#104 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

As far as I know, things such as gain and sensitivity settings should still work. The only things added to analog control capabilities 'recently' have been to finally put in analog (leg) turning, and some check boxes for inverting joystick turning and pitch. Those might not work in user.cfg any more.

If in doubt, you may wish to utilize an emulator instead. For instance, http://atzitznet.dyn...use3/index.html

#105 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

they haven't asked for my money.i had to make my own config file in notepad running as admin, copying and pasting from the forums.a player/poster hammerhai has given me great info in replies.

#106 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

cyberkut, that emulator seems interesting,it would allow me to setup and test joystick sensitivity out of the game without going into user.cfg?

would i have to delete my thrustmaster calibration tool?

#107 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostGorantir, on 20 June 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

cyberkut, that emulator seems interesting,it would allow me to setup and test joystick sensitivity out of the game without going into user.cfg?

Loc Nar would probably provide a more authoritative answer as he is way more experienced with the Thrustmaster stuff. However, I'll theorize that if you simply avoid starting up the Thrustmaster calibration tool while using the emulator, it would seem to be no opportunity for a conflict/problem.

#108 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

What TM hardware do you have and what is this calibration tool?

that emulator seems interesting,it would allow me to setup and test joystick sensitivity out of the game without going into user.cfg?

Yes, plus a good emulator allows much more flexibility than the in-game options (on the fly sensitivity, macros, custom curves, shift layers, etc) in addition to not getting wiped out every other patch like many folk's joystick setups that rely on the native support/.cfg become...

#109 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Can I use my Ace Edge from AceCombat?

#110 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostFEK315, on 22 June 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Can I use my Ace Edge from AceCombat?

Well, that appears to be a re-branded Saitek X-45. Depending on what they had to do to make it work with AceCombat, you might be OK.

When connected to your PC, does it show up in the Windows Control Panel as a joystick controller? If so, does it let you test all of the buttons, switches and axis?

Edited by CyBerkut, 23 June 2013 - 06:28 AM.

#111 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

Im on my mac right now Ill go check on my laptop....

#112 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm using a thrustmaster tflight hotas x, i have been playing with the user.config i had to make and wasn't sure where to put it so i put it in the mwo folder and my gorantir profile folder.which is correct?still going to have to download an emulator and play with it.

#113 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

put it in the mwo folder and my gorantir profile folder.which is correct?

File should only be in your main MWO directory folder like this:
C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\user.cfg

You don't *have to use an emulator, it's just a preferable option since it's generally much easier to make adjustments to dial in your preferences, is not subject to the upheaval of controls that happens frequently, offers options otherwise not available (independent x/y sensitivity, macros, etc).

#114 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

whats the word on the saitek x52 pro with this game? thinking of picking one up.

#115 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

whats the word on the saitek x52 pro with this game?

On the pro model at least the throttle is nice, but the stick itself is as much a fish out of water in MWO as any other off-shelf joystick, including the Warthog which is light years ahead of it. Not just in construction but is TARGET capable, which puts better support in your own hands than we could ever hope PGI (or any developer) to provide, but doesn't get one much closer to viable owing to the fact MWO is coded in zero-order and first-order mechanics just don't cut it in in that environment.

Assuming you don't end up with one of the out-of-the-box lemons that have been going around lately, the X52 itself has 2 known flaws that have nothing to do with MWO, but both easily enough addressed. There is a repositioning mod that needs to be done to the magnet to elimnate an inintended built-in deadzone, and there is another mod to remove the slop in the y axis.

Controls Demystified(?)

#116 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostLoc Nar, on 05 July 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

On the pro model at least the throttle is nice, but the stick itself is as much a fish out of water in MWO as any other off-shelf joystick, including the Warthog which is light years ahead of it. Not just in construction but is TARGET capable, which puts better support in your own hands than we could ever hope PGI (or any developer) to provide, but doesn't get one much closer to viable owing to the fact MWO is coded in zero-order and first-order mechanics just don't cut it in in that environment.

Assuming you don't end up with one of the out-of-the-box lemons that have been going around lately, the X52 itself has 2 known flaws that have nothing to do with MWO, but both easily enough addressed. There is a repositioning mod that needs to be done to the magnet to elimnate an inintended built-in deadzone, and there is another mod to remove the slop in the y axis.

Controls Demystified(?)

hmm..I really want a 3 axis joystick otherwise id go with thrustmaster. CH products just dont appeal. is there seriously no other viable solution or producer of a quality product? I had hoped saitek had improved on their quality ... meh

#117 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

By 3 axis joystick you mean with twist? The Thrustmaster T16000M has twist, is a well constructed stick with a decent gimbal, but most importantly for MWO it is TARGET compatible (already have scripts for it...). Among other things, TARGET allows on the fly axis manipulation, adjustable curves, independent x/y, macros, shift layers etc... I say it a lot, but honestly any gamers toybox should have one in it, since if nothing else it's a great 'joystick viabillity diagnostic tool' for any game/sim, regardless of its state of support and makes it real easy to explore various control schemes. Same sensor as the Warty, can be used lefty, and at only $20-40 you can't go wrong. It's not a HOTAS so it has a cheesy throttle slide on it's base, but it works ok.

The X52 pro ain't bad, and is worth it if you can get it under $100 in decent shape, then do the easy mods. Not ideal for MWO (but dat throttle!), but would be great in Star Citizen...

Edited by Loc Nar, 05 July 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#118 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 05 July 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

hmm..I really want a 3 axis joystick otherwise id go with thrustmaster. CH products just dont appeal. is there seriously no other viable solution or producer of a quality product? I had hoped saitek had improved on their quality ... meh

1. If you just want a joystick, instead of a HOTAS... then Loc Nar's recommendation of the Thrustmaster T.16000M is a good one. While it is plastic, it is VERY well made and has a very solid feel to it. The T.A.R.G.E.T. profiling software is very capable.

2. If you want a HOTAS that has twisting joystick, the Saitek X-52Pro is actually a good choice. Just make sure you have an option to return/exchange it, in case you get a lemon. Mine was OK, but I have a read a *few* postings of people getting a bad one. Saitek made some improvements to the X-52Pro stick, versus the X-52. I have not found a need to do any modding of mine, FWIW. The Saitek SST profiling software is pretty capable, but widely considered to be a notch below Thrustmaster's TARGET and CH's Control manager software.

That being said, while I use my Saitek X-52Pro throttle and Combat Pro Rudder pedals, I use a mouse instead of the joystick. I *really* wanted to go the HOTAS route, and fiddled with various configuration settings in MWO's USER.CFG file. But it became clear that it was not going to work like it did in MW4, etc. Loc Nar's Controls Demystified treatise (linked above) explains why that is the case.

The problem can be somewhat mitigated by having absolute axis input instead of relative. With Thrustmaster's TARGET you can do that. I have not seen a way to do it via Saitek's SST software... however, you could try Joystick 2 Mouse as that has the ability to select absolute axis input. By the time I found out about it, using a mouse had become so ingrained that I didn't really give it a try... at least not yet.

Alternatively, you might look into the Razer Hydra. Just have a chair with comfortable arm rests...

#119 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

id go with the HOTAS, but it doesnt seem to have a 3 axis option or id buy it. is there any HOTAS option with a 3 axis like the cougar or warthog?

#120 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

The X52 and the Saitek X65f (force sensing but not very well implemented) are the only ones I know of that are HOTAS.

Here's a link documenting the easily done X52 mods I mentioned though...

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want twist stick? I find it pretty hard to manage along with the other axes, and most HOTAS have at least a rocker switch in a good spot that makes it really easy to drive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users