A call for new RP ideas/threads (now that The Windborne Raven is ending)

77 replies to this topic

#21 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

You know what I would think would be cool I know its a long shoot but how about the expeditionary force that originally ran into the clans and started the invasion. Be one of the groups that meet them or something that way you could get some clan tech in there to if you want and it could go anywhere as long as the GM directs the jump ships hehe.

#22 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostGozer, on 31 March 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

Okay so we have players and it sounds like Thom might be willing to CO-GM but not main GM that about right?

Now I was hesitant to say this at first but as no one else has stepped forward I will say that I HAVE GM'ed quite a bit in my life, both on and offline. So I can do it if you all want. Currently I'm on a rotating schedule (The next four weeks I have Sat-Mon as my weekends. Then the next four weeks is Tues-Wed off. Some months days, some months mids. You get the idea. ;) ) but I tend to post from work anyway. :angry:

So if Thom is up for it, that'll settle the Co-GM question. ;)

Next up as for time period it looks like we're all in agreement pre-clan invasion is cool.

The setting is the telling bit and sounds like most don't really want a Solaris game but a more backwater "boot strapping" adventure of a brand new Merc group on the fringes of the sphere. Does that about sum it up?

Simple rules set, ran here on the official forums, with a "light" post limit. So 1 post every 4 days minimum does that about sum it up?

--------------

Some things I'd do if chosen as a GM (Just so you know what you'd be getting out of me ;) ) I would set up an OCC/character thread as well as an IC thread. It's an old habit of mine to help keep the main thread clear of extra bits. OCC Comments in the IC thread are fine (I'm fine with brackets or parenthesis) but the character sheets and such wouldn't be there.

Also there would be more than 1 thread if the game continued. I like to break things up into "episodes" so you don't have 30 pages to sort through. It also helps keep the players focused as we have "moved on" from this scene to this scene.

I would also request some clarification language to the posts to help keep everyone going. Every post would have a header like this:

[Outside the Windborne Raven]

Any time your post goes to a new area you'd also do a break with the new area title like this:

[Inside the Windborne Raven]

Sure it's a bit "Script like" but it helps players keep track of where they are. As a GM I would occasionally post location updates (espeically when folks get broken up) which would be like this:

[Inside the Windborne Raven]
Time: 14:44
Characters: Thom, Sloth, Azman

[Outside the Windborne Raven]
Time: 14:44
Characters: Charles, Joe

Again it's part of my job as GM to help move things along and to do that I tend to be a bit **** about it. I tend not to do maps but I can. Though they'd probably be quick Blender images and not pretty Photoshop stuff. (I do 3D modeling)

Finally, the CO-GM and I would have to have a Pow Wow to get some key points and characters figured out, and then set-up some character creation rules. I'm not going to get so heavy into rules lawyering just some thoughts of Mech Types allowed (if any), personal weapons allowed (gernades?), hidden histories (Azman you rock), house affilation (or are we all Mercs) that type stuff.

So if you want a semi-an al GM to help ride herd on your creative game feel free to ask. Otherwise I'm all for just playing. :P

((Hey, if you're all for GMing, I'd be down. I really wouldnt recommend splitting the forum into two posts, just for the sake of saving thread space. I personally think we should avoid any clan-related themes, just because there is alot of stories to tell. Cant wait to see what you come up with in a setting.))

#23 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostDurgan Carlyle, on 31 March 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

You know what I would think would be cool I know its a long shoot but how about the expeditionary force that originally ran into the clans and started the invasion. Be one of the groups that meet them or something that way you could get some clan tech in there to if you want and it could go anywhere as long as the GM directs the jump ships hehe.

Edit:
Just started out as the paragraph below, but added more to it... Just thoughts and rambles mostly.

From what I remember, the Explorer Corps of Com* are the ones who blundered into the Clans and well, stired up the hornet's nest as it seems.. Not sure how everyone would feel playing them, I for one don't care for the idea since I only have general knowledge of them.

I like the idea of placing where your character is at the begining of your post. (Knee deep in filth somewhere in the sewers below the Streets of Solaris)

As for gear I'd like if people would not come into play with a uber assault mech or even a heavy. Remember the numbers of lights and meds far outnumbers the bigger ones. It would add to the awe of bigger mechs

Limit 1 character for players. Keeps things simple and keeps people from pulling aerospace support out of their butt at convenient times. Exception would be for infantry squad leaders and tank commanders.... dialoge and simple actions between a mechwarrior/aerojock and their chief tech would be acceptable. Though flashbacks would be alright. I suppose.

Oh and I will allow strapping of a light machine gun to the side of your command couch. But if you have to eject things might not come out too nicely. Remember Candance Liao's shoulder got shredded from punching out of her BJ-1 and I'm pretty sure there was no RPD strapped to the side of her chair. Just a thought and warning.

I think the kids are staying the night over somewhere so I should have some peace and quiet to work on something.. Hopefully not too horrible.

#24 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Heh good to see we're on the same page there Thom. So you think Solaris is a good place to start? (I emphisize the start as Solaris lets us go anywhere.) I too am in agreement with the 1 character and no heavies idea. (Mainly because I want either a Locust or a Shadowhawk. ;) )

Not sure I'd want anyone to be anything but a singleton though. So no tankers unless a couple guys want to man the same tank. Single infantry guys would be fine by me as well.

So does this mean you're down for Co-GM officially Thom? I'm not an offical GM either yet just throwing things out there. ;)

#25 Orcinus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationYour Left Flank

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

[[
Takes seat in the RP bus. ;)
]]

#26 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Whatever we decide I'm along for the ride cant wait, just may have to revamp my character unless I can find a way to involve a engineer more.

#27 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostGozer, on 31 March 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Heh good to see we're on the same page there Thom. So you think Solaris is a good place to start? (I emphisize the start as Solaris lets us go anywhere.) I too am in agreement with the 1 character and no heavies idea. (Mainly because I want either a Locust or a Shadowhawk. ^_^ )

Was looking up Galaeta (hope I spelt it right this time) damn hot that place! Solaris is as good as anyplace. We've agreed on a year? 3031ish sounds decent to me...

Not sure I'd want anyone to be anything but a singleton though. So no tankers unless a couple guys want to man the same tank. Single infantry guys would be fine by me as well.

I like the idea of having that option just incase someone wanted to do something different. Mech's may be king of the battlefield but that doesn't mean they're the only thing on it.

So does this mean you're down for Co-GM officially Thom? I'm not an offical GM either yet just throwing things out there. :huh:

I think I am down for it. 'Raven was good because people kind of threw ideas out there randomly from time to time. The better the people RPing the less strain on the GM. I'm still kicking around ideas though, we doing Solaris for sure?

#28 Damon Howe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic - Exact Loc. Unknown

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hoping along for the ride as well. Can't read too much of this due to time, but I like some of the ideas of time period to be RP'ed. We'll see if Damon gets used though, he's not that old in the Windbourne Raven so anything earlier than 2045 most likely will not include him.

Edit: Now if you do pre 3028, you might get his dad. :huh:

Edited by Damon Howe, 31 March 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#29 Aedris Nova

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm willing to go with any setting, but I like the idea of the Fourth Succession War, especially as it means RPers will end up fighting in conflict. The Windborne Raven was a blast to participate in and a similar experience would be great.

#30 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 31 March 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Was looking up Galaeta (hope I spelt it right this time) damn hot that place! Solaris is as good as anyplace. We've agreed on a year? 3031ish sounds decent to me...

Yeah I think we're set on Time/Place. 3031 ish (either tail end or right after 4th succession war. Lots of brush fires still and lots of depleted house forces so need for mercs. Lots of displaced house units/mercenaries.) and using Solaris as a nice starting/gathering area.

As for the Non-Mechwarriors if someone call play them well I'd be open for it, but I think it'd have to be a darn good character concept to warrant approval.

I think I am down for it. 'Raven was good because people kind of threw ideas out there randomly from time to time. The better the people RPing the less strain on the GM. I'm still kicking around ideas though, we doing Solaris for sure?

I think we've settled on that. I think we've also settled on Thom and I GM'ing eh since no one else has said no or that they want in. :huh:

I think I'll wait until Monday though before making an "Official" OCC/Character Sheet thread. Just to make sure none of the old hands from the previous game want control. That'll also give Thom more time to work on whatever thoughts are running through his head. ^_^

#31 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

3031, Charles as a fresh-faced, newly-minted Chu-i. The early years of the "mad-man with a LAM".

I like.

#32 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 31 March 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Limit 1 character for players. .

*side glance cheekily at sloth* Guess we may not get to see the '5 Paths of Sloth' this time around. :) Was crazy-fun but really had a hard time keeping track of all the merry slothes running around.:lol:

Ps It was the Vulkaneers Urbanmech that killed the Atlas! Urbies dont die! They just multiply! ;) :ph34r:

3031 eh. *scratches chin* um, let me do my maths... 10 percent of nothing is... character Azman was only 11 and just joined the Racoon Brigade child infantry of No Return - charging bravely away from battle and learning the finer points of playing dead. ^_^

Ooh ooh time to cobble up a new character! ^_^ For the call of tad more realism, my quantum leaper and my time traveller characters may be shelved... for the moment. Yea time to squibble illegible scribblings on recycled paper at work! Just ask for patience for players who may have time contraints and I think we all will have real good fun. :huh:

Yes boss...am working boss... just writing some ideas for the suggestion box...

Edited by Nor Azman, 01 April 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#33 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

View PostCharles Martel, on 31 March 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

3031, Charles as a fresh-faced, newly-minted Chu-i. The early years of the "mad-man with a LAM".

I like.

Not so sure about that. I know next to nothing about lams.. well other than lamb meat is overpriced and very yummy.

View PostNor Azman, on 01 April 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

Yes boss...am working boss... just writing some ideas for the suggestion box...

Azman, my Singaporian friend. What exactly do you do for a job? Just curious.

I work at Starbucks. No, I don't whip up grande latte's for yuppies. I work in a green bean warehouse. Basicly it's where the beans are stored after reaching america from whatever exotic jungle hell they grew in. We hold them, then ship them off to a plant where they get roasted and shipped off to every other street corner. Basicly my job consist of doing inventory every couple of days and tossing 150lb/70kg bags of beans around.

Grunt work, hard on the muscles, but it allows me to let my mind wander, well not the inventory thing, it's easy but I need to pay attention to what I'm doing, not wondering about how I'm gonna put whatever I'm imageing down for everyone to enjoy.

But I do have good news, I'm cobbling up some stuff for you guys so be patient and remember... never eat yellow snow. It snowed here today. :huh:

#34 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

I read the old thread and chaotic as it occasionally was I found it very fun. There were even some characters I came to genuinely like, so well done!

If it is still possible I would be quite interested in participating in any further RPs.

I can spell and I have vodka, two facts which clearly ensure that I would be a most useful participant. :huh:

#35 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

*Chuckles*

Well Vodka we're still in the planning phases so you'll be able to apply as well, just as soon as Thom gets his work done. ;)

As for LAMS, yeah, they don't fit under the common mech types so we won't be seeing those. We were going for cheap down, and dirty. LAMS are far to fancy and expensive for that. :huh:

Finally since we're all starting to share I'll tell you guys what job I do that lets me post from work. I work for NASA.

No seriously, I track satellites (Specifically the TDRS system currently) for NASA. Formerly of the Goldstone Deep Space Complex and JPL I currently work at White Sands, New Mexico. So I sit around on my butt watching screens for hours and hours. While I can't do a lot of surfing during the week, I can totally have screens up for typing and I'm getting good at sneaking peaks at the board during day shift. ^_^

I shall work up an "official" Character sheet and the application/Character/OCC thread while Thom works on the details of the game beyond year/location. :)

#36 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Cool Gozer I might run into you from time to time as I part of the test battalion for 11 ADA patriot system. I'm a patriot missile system repairer basically if all the little minions of the army can't fix it i'm there last line of repair before we take it to Ratheon. Thats partly why I like to RP as a engineer or something of that short but I didn't get a real chance in the last RP so I might try again this time around.

#37 Aedris Nova

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I agree with Solaris as it is pretty much the galaxy's version of the Olympics. There are citizens from all factions who live there regularly, but if we're using the same characters as in the Windborne Raven, my guy won't be able to do much - he'll only be 15.

#38 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostAedris Nova, on 01 April 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

I agree with Solaris as it is pretty much the galaxy's version of the Olympics. There are citizens from all factions who live there regularly, but if we're using the same characters as in the Windborne Raven, my guy won't be able to do much - he'll only be 15.

Thom's still in diapers at this point....

View PostGozer, on 01 April 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

Finally since we're all starting to share I'll tell you guys what job I do that lets me post from work. I work for NASA.

No seriously, I track satellites (Specifically the TDRS system currently) for NASA. Formerly of the Goldstone Deep Space Complex and JPL I currently work at White Sands, New Mexico. So I sit around on my butt watching screens for hours and hours. While I can't do a lot of surfing during the week, I can totally have screens up for typing and I'm getting good at sneaking peaks at the board during day shift. :ph34r:

I shall work up an "official" Character sheet and the application/Character/OCC thread while Thom works on the details of the game beyond year/location. :angry:

View PostDurgan Carlyle, on 01 April 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Cool Gozer I might run into you from time to time as I part of the test battalion for 11 ADA patriot system. I'm a patriot missile system repairer basically if all the little minions of the army can't fix it i'm there last line of repair before we take it to Ratheon. Thats partly why I like to RP as a engineer or something of that short but I didn't get a real chance in the last RP so I might try again this time around.

Oh you guys and your nifty educations....

#39 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

RPing an old-fart has it's advantages. Rick's ready to RP anything 3025+. I am personally tempted to start a more casual-orriented RP thread taking place during his years as an early mechanic , or just soon after getting his Archer back from the dead. I was thinking something a little less grand, where it's less to do with action so much as the mix of characters and philosophies that bring the conflict and interest. Also helps when you have a couple of Sims set-up in the mechbay as a kind of 'pool table' for the mechanics where the REAL pilots get to show them how it's done (It's the closest most of them get to, or want to get to real combat).

~Neeeeeeeeds RP fix.... Shakes....~

#40 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Alright. Just about done. Just need a decent name for the thread... Well. I got everything writen up to when my dude arrives at the spaceport. I'm thinking about letting someone else put down a place where we all get together...

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 01 April 2012 - 11:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users