Reducing Bloodname counts

134 replies to this topic

#21 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 27 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

The IS has their lore & the Clans have their lore. Why hate on the Clan players for doing what they do? This is how the lore was written & players choose to implement it for RP value.

Exactly.

#22 Archer Pryde

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I play a bloodname because i am a fan, have every single original battletech book, and would be a clan mechwarrior in a heart beat if given the chance. I choose my name for many reasons, you all recognize my last name, but if you dont recognize where my first name comes from then you havent read the books. Dont judge the fans who choose a name because they thought it was cool since before any of these games. Long term fans shouldnt be persecuted for loyalty, its just a game and we all want to have fun.

#23 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

^To the above poster, you should join Clan Jade Falcon.

;)

#24 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

As a clanner I am all for limiting the amount of people with bloodnames. Allowing the BNs of all Clans in the game would still mean a significant amount to go around. Should be like loyalty points, need to earn the right to compete for one first and then if you are not very active or behave in an un Clan like manner you lose points and eventually the name so it is opened up to others. This way there would be regular BN trials for people to enter. The bloodname could be added to a name just like unit tags are planned to be.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 28 October 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#25 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostFiachdubh, on 28 October 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

As a clanner I am all for limiting the amount of people with bloodnames. Allowing the BNs of all Clans in the game would still mean a significant amount to go around. Should be like loyalty points, need to earn the right to compete for one first and then if you are not very active or behave in an un Clan like manner you lose points and eventually the name so it is opened up to others. This way there would be regular BN trials for people to enter. The bloodname could be added to a name just like unit tags are planned to be.

Again I completely disagree.

#26 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Well if we are going to have a serious discussion about who gets to wear what name on the forums, I want to expand the debate to cover people who use numbers in place of letters.

Note I have not ever used numbers in place of letters, never have and never will, but if all you guys out there are going to pretend that 5 is the same as S, why don't you follow common literary practice and just use an S? For example there are a ridiculous number of people using 3 for an E or 4 for an A. there should be a max of 0 people doing this. have fun.

#27 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

actually, the numbers in my name are not to replace letters, but to be said phonetically. so my name, dal10 translates to dalten. which is nearly identical to my actual first name, dalton. so have fun with that.

Edited by dal10, 28 October 2012 - 10:07 PM.

#28 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

View Postvon Bremerhaven, on 26 October 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Bloodnames were limited within the teams fighting in any of a number of older leagues. Problem is, there are a LOT of older leagues. For the most part, the people who sport Bloodnames earned the right to use them. I earned mine but chose not to carry it here. Who are you to say otherwise?

Which one was it?

#29 Frost Cobra

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostAlik Kerensky, on 27 October 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

I'm not a Clanner either, and I've used this name (Alex, Alec, Alik, Alexsandr... Kerensky) since before there were any clans in BT universe after Natasha Kerensky before they made her a Clanner and I don't intend to stop now. I'm been a Steiner under the 1st Katrina 3025 since 1988. Also if I remember my cannon Clanners would seek out and destroy, or capture if they made a pest of themselves, anybody that happened to have a Clanner last name so I'd be the first target of any actual Clanner in 3050. Outlawing or limiting surnames is like saying people can't be called Smith, because some idiotic child claimed that name 1st after he saw the Matrix.

For the Kerensky name, I can see you either getting killed, or at best captured by a Clanner, and made a bondsman. If you had the Steiner name, odds are that only Clan Cloud Cobra would go after you.

Edited by Frost Cobra, 29 October 2012 - 02:19 AM.

#30 Demon Horde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

i got a name and a blood name for all clanners,... scrap metal.

clanners are stuck up elitist in the mw universe , i used think i favored them but now after much thought i realize i just favored their mechs cos of the tech.

Quote for the day - Being an Elitist doesn't mean you are elite, it only means that you think you are elite.

#31 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

View Postdal10, on 26 October 2012 - 06:02 PM, said:

note I am not a clanner, never have been and never will be, but if all you guys out there are going to pretend to be clanners and have bloodnames, why don't you follow canon and limit it to 25 people with the name. For example there are currently 218 prydes. there should only be a max of 25. have fun.

Insofar as you have stated your distaste for Clansmen, why do not you keep your point of view regarding internal Clan protocols to yourself. In the game that is MW:O, there can be no enforceable limit regarding the assignation/earning of Bloodnames. However, in a Planetary League, there will be limits. MW:O is not a game that lends itself to such limitations.

When they are in game against you, you really only need to worry about beating them and surviving - not what their name is. Concentrate on something more productive.

View Postdal10, on 28 October 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

actually, the numbers in my name are not to replace letters, but to be said phonetically. so my name, dal10 translates to dalten. which is nearly identical to my actual first name, dalton. so have fun with that.

re dal10's name, I am glad he did not choose ID10T

#32 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I think Gremlich is suffering from an UTS error.

Edited by dal10, 29 October 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#33 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

Like someone said above me, MWO wont enforce people to change there name. Merc/RP groups might but you guys will never see it on MW.
It's a stupid idea either way. And could cause alot of confusion. Look how many peopr think it's a good idea Vs. bad. Then take th question to everyone in MW it's going to resemble that. Hella lot more no's then yeah.

#34 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Well my real last name is Scott, and there are few who use the bloodname Scott, so I guess I'm in the clear!

#35 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostCpt Grunge, on 29 October 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Like someone said above me, MWO wont enforce people to change there name. Merc/RP groups might but you guys will never see it on MW.
It's a stupid idea either way. And could cause alot of confusion. Look how many peopr think it's a good idea Vs. bad. Then take th question to everyone in MW it's going to resemble that. Hella lot more no's then yeah.

Notice that the people that think it is a bad idea are IS lovers. This is the Clan section. That is how the lore was written & we like it & embrace it. We do not go to your section to whine about how your affairs should be run. If you have a problem with it, go back to the IS section or suck a Gauss Rifle.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 29 October 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#36 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 29 October 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

Notice that the people that think it is a bad idea are IS lovers. This is the Clan section. That is how the lore was written & we like it & embrace it. We do not go to your section to whine about how your affairs should be run. If you have a problem with it, go back to the IS section or suck a Gauss Rifle.

I'm a clan lover. you can't judge a book by its cover. You can't tell what we are by what we have said. Expect a few who straight out said it.

#37 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 29 October 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

I can't tell if he is against my thoughts on this or for them...

#38 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

And how pray tell do you deal with those of us who rightfully earned our Bloodnames in Trials years ago in MechWarrior2. I personally won mine in the Registry in 1994, who are YOU to tell me I cannot use the Bloodname I fought for and won almost 20 years ago now?

And why does it matter? There are no Clan options for us to pick from, or did you miss that? And since you have no intention of being a Clan Mechwarrior, why does this matter to you? It is not like it will have any impact on YOUR gaming since you will not be involved with the Clans, only with fighting against them, so the names of those who kill you should the least of your worries.

Edited by Kristov Kerensky, 29 October 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#39 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

I just thought it was interesting, due to meeting a number of people (considering your last post, you as well) who think a bloodname == they are the best thing ever. My thought is by doing it here, it could actually mean something vs being a way to suck up to a legacy.

#40 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Your incorrect assumption is that people just add a Bloodname to their name because they think it is cool and will make them all the hotness. What you cannot seem to understand is that to some, it already does mean something. Your original post clearly revealed your bias against those who enjoy roleplaying as a Clansman and your subsequent posts have done nothing to change that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users