Mean Catapult-K2 setup! (had to post this)

70 replies to this topic

#1 Zeneb

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Specs:
  • 2 AC/20's with 49 ammo
  • 52.3 Max kph
  • 365 Armour
  • Endo-Steel Structure
  • 10 (Double) Heatsinks
  • Standard Engine 210
  • Heat Eff. 1.52
  • Fire-power 40
Keep a couple things in mind. Heavy on heat and you CAN run out of ammo, even with 49. All that aside, this is an extremely mean variant of the K2. It's meant for two things, front line combat and to flank the LRM boats and backup the front line. It's not meant to kill the smaller class mechs (Jenner, Raven etc etc), but it can be done if you have the accuracy.

Another note, you can take out a couple AC/20 ammo to add lasers, if you're worried about running out of ammo. All and all, try it out and lemme know what you think!

Created by: Myself and M60

Edited by Zeneb, 18 December 2012 - 12:03 AM.

#2 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:18 AM

I think it won't win over the Gausscat users. Not even close.

#3 Cyico

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

He don't know about 4xPPC K2.

#4 Dwarfling

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:02 AM

Or you can make a K2 with 4xLLAS that goes over 86kph (with speed tweak)...

#5 M60

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

heres the issue with the 4 PPC set up...the only way you would be able to match the ac20's damage is if you were to fire all 4 at once..and how often are you going to be able to do that? I've used 3 ppc's at once (and alternating) and hit almost everyone of my targets and was only averaging about 200 damage per round(no kills and overheating like a b!tch), With this set up not only is my damage at an average of 500 but im scoring at least 1-2 kills a game (not exaggerating). Im also alternating fire which increases damage per minute and lessens chances of missing.

The Gaussapault is a great set up but most gaussapault users tend to fire two at once (and often miss). You have to remember, one ac/20 is devastating enough, just imagine two alternating fire. Plus component destruction every few shots...wicked set up

Edited by M60, 27 October 2012 - 01:10 AM.

#6 GrimDeath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

You are not flanking at 54.8 Max kph.

#7 M60

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

you would be surprised..also, this set up is very effective for defence. I would gladly sacrifice speed for that much firepower. I have been playing since the closed beta started, put lots of hours into this game and this is by far the best set up I've come across IMO

Edited by M60, 27 October 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#8 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

slow, heavy, with big cabin hitbox, heat issues, ammo dependent, limited fire cone and ***** to repair - yeah ur doing it right.

#9 Gen0

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostKurayami, on 27 October 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

slow, heavy, with big cabin hitbox, heat issues, ammo dependent, limited fire cone and ***** to repair - yeah ur doing it right.

And the Gausskat, widely agreed to be the most OP build in the game shares all of those issues except heat... and this has more DPS.

Yeah, he's definitely doing it right, this is a good alternate to the GaussKat if you wanna come up a lil closer or brawl with a heavy.

#10 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostGen0, on 27 October 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

strangely gausscat carry more ammo and faster - that is not to mention that effective range is 1.5k instead of 300m, faster slug and almost pinpoint accuracy with close to 0 delays and little to none backslash of netcode - do we really need to compare this build to gauss? my point is CTPL is not a brawling machine and i described why.

now please tell me what + this build have in brawl aside from questionable "DPS" of buggy\glitchy microwave by some mistake called "AC20"? hunch. cent and dragon while not have dual ac20 are faster, maneuverable, not ammo depended, versatile, cheaper, and live longer so what bonuses this build have? and what role exactly it fills? PDS in some cavern\city?

#11 M60

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

if you read what the heat efficiency is rated at, overheating is not much of an issue. Provided your alternating fire and not spamming your attacks like a newb. I have duel`d atlas`s up close and won, like Gen0 said, more DPS. Plus component destruction is increased 10 fold (which is harder to do with a gauss). Given the class, it packs a huge punch in the face!

The gaussapault is very ammo dependent as well, but with 49 shots of ac/20.. thats a lot of hurt!

And like Zeneb said " you can take out a couple AC/20 ammo to add lasers, if you're worried about running out of ammo. "

Edited by M60, 27 October 2012 - 02:06 AM.

#12 Gen0

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostKurayami, on 27 October 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

strangely gausscat carry more ammo and faster - that is not to mention that effective range is 1.5k instead of 300m, faster slug and almost pinpoint accuracy with close to 0 delays and little to none backslash of netcode - do we really need to compare this build to gauss? my point is CTPL is not a brawling machine and i described why.

now please tell me what + this build have in brawl aside from questionable "DPS" of buggy\glitchy microwave by some mistake called "AC20"? hunch. cent and dragon while not have dual ac20 are faster, maneuverable, not ammo depended, versatile, cheaper, and live longer so what bonuses this build have? and what role exactly it fills? PDS in some cavern\city?

Also, because it's a K2. The amount of people that don't even look at the loadout on their HUD before approaching a K2 up close are astounding, because 90% of K2's are GaussKats. The other thing is sustained fire, something that a GaussKat lacks and really hurts it a close range from a DPS angle. It's not exactly an MG, but a lil bit more sustained fire makes for a lot more effective DPS when you face a smaller or faster target and some of your shots miss (it still wont deal with lights, but it stands a change against the strike hunchy pilot that snuck up on you without needing to be 100% accurate).

As for role, its support/heavy DPS. K2's have good armor, this has mad DPS so it can be fielded much closer to the frontline and makes a better mech than the GaussKat when playing wingman to an Atlas or leading a pack of lighter mechs, although I would make a point of dropping a lil ammo for a slightly bigger engine.

#13 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

View PostM60, on 27 October 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

so 70 slugs for gauss is "very ammo dependent" right.
DHS are NOT working currently so you have like 11 singles what point of dual ac 20 CURRENTLY if this setup launch me in 60%+ on alpha? and if i end up in caustic? killed atlas in duel uhuh - i killed 100% atlas solo with halfdead C1(f) using 1 med laser - c1(f) brawling god? what point of those 2 ac 20 if mech filling the same role can run circles around me? what point of dual ac 20 if mech i supposed to kill can easily one shot me in cabin just lining up in center torso? this is flawed logic - bigger guns is just bigger guns - they are not always do a better job overall.

View PostGen0, on 27 October 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

because it k2 it will have focus fire from any wise man. can it survive? no. can it run? no. can it at least make to front lines to deliver "very high dps of dual ac 20"? doubtful. go ahead flank my lrm cat- my combat speed is 75 and i have JJ, enough armor to suck up you alpha with any part of my mech aside rear and 4 ml to make sure you will regret this. go ahead in frontline combat too bad you dont have ams, cant outrun or outmaneuver cent or hunch and have ultrabig cabin hitbox for snipers. and sustained fire? with not working dhs? gauss have sustained fire. uac with macross have sustained fire. ac 10-5 have sustained fire. ac 20 have "wait or overheat". and it have efficient range like 300 and it will not hit fast targets thanks to lagshield.
no k2 dont have good armor because like 60% of ct hits registering as cabin hits.
no k2 is not a good wingman to atlas - it will be eaten alive by lights or fast cents.
no k2 suck in PDS because of limited fire cone.
no k2 suck in flanking because it can be outmaneuvered by its targets with ease.
no k2 suck in frontlines because of distinguishable silhouette and "popularity" of both lrm boats and gausscats - they can at least return fire, while you forced to hide or endure.

the only thing this mech will do ultragood is roflstomping in pug where noone know what are you and just blindly rush in your range. in teamplay there is a mech that can do better for every role you mentioned with less effort and less expense.
think again. CTPL essentially SUPPORT class chassis the only other role is guerrilla warfare using A1 full of CSRM\SRM which is actually a VERY good support for said ATLAS since it can outright kill lights and deliver heavy punch on anything else with 100% guarantee, while maintaining high survival rate thanks to JJ.

Edited by Kurayami, 27 October 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#14 Gen0

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

View PostKurayami, on 27 October 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

so 70 slugs for gauss is "very ammo dependent" right.
DHS are NOT working currently so you have like 11 singles what point of dual ac 20 CURRENTLY if this setup launch me in 60%+ on alpha? and if i end up in caustic? killed atlas in duel uhuh - i killed 100% atlas solo with halfdead C1(f) using 1 med laser - c1(f) brawling god? what point of those 2 ac 20 if mech filling the same role can run circles around me? what point of dual ac 20 if mech i supposed to kill can easily one shot me in cabin just lining up in center torso? this is flawed logic - bigger guns is just bigger guns - they are not always do a better job overall.

1. They will work on Monday, why not plan ahead?
2. What if you end up on Caustic in a Laser boat as I have many times? What if you die, god forbid!? That's life, suck it up and fight.
3. Your achievements with a C1 have no bearing on this fit, whereas he stated that he has killed with this fit. Why are you trolling?
4. Because the AC20s will tear you apart as you run around me. If that's your main argument, you'd be better off in an agility based game like Hawken.
5. Getting oneshotted in the cabin happens to snipers often because they aim at the guy who one-shots them then get popped before they shoot, for everyone else, AC20 K2 included, you should be either blasting the pain of death into your target or spreading incoming damage across your mechs armour. Oneshots are usually your fault, not the fault of your guns or armour. Granted it's easier in some chassis than others, but you should be well aware of that.

Edited by Gen0, 27 October 2012 - 02:25 AM.

#15 dtgamemaster

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 62 posts
  • LocationThe BattleField

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

This build is now possible with endosteel + DHS and I have experimented with it.

The problem is this.

1) You literally have to move up close to a target to have a good chance of hitting. And that should be the way to play this mech. You choose a target that is easy to hit, move into close range, aim into a choice spot and hammer away. You CANNOT afford to miss, as your heat dissipation ability is low(with DHS being bugged).

2) Your slow speed and hence poor maneuverability is a death trap once you engage in the open. It is an all-in build with no space for mistakes. You expect to be killed with no way of escaping if you engage wrongly.

3) One on one vs a fast light or STREAKCAT, you are mostly doomed. Good luck landing those AC/20 shots.

4) There are better builds that are more balanced and allow more flexibility in your choice of engagement, and less of the setbacks. The key I feel is this. You are not able to put in an XL engine into the dual AC/20 catapult (due to lack of slots in side torso). And because of that, you are forced to use a standard engine that gives you less heatsinks and less speed, which is really what you need with such a build.

5) Don't bother with lasers. Use the very little spare tonnage you have to up yr engine speed/place more ammo/have more heatsinks. Better to focus on maximising the ability of your AC/20s then relying on backup...that's my opinion.

That being said, pumping dual AC/20s into the centre torso of a centurion, or into the cockpit of a fellow K2 is a great feeling. But I would prefer a more balanced mech that can hit targets more easily (aka choice of lasers and 1 gauss).

#16 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Incidentally i don't understand why ppl think they can win against gauss cat just by coming up close...

gauss are as lethal at point blank as it is at 600m... it's DPS is poor? 4 second recycle time, slightly slower indeed than some weapon but hardly lacking (hence why gauss cat still murder mechs at such range assuming the pilot knows how to lead)

the primary exception to this is light mech ESPECIALLY after the last patch that made the hit detection absolutely bonkers and gave light mech lag shield of extraordinary proportion... those you probably can't hit with gauss unless they stand still or move in a straight line for extended period...

after the last patch the problem with lag shield also increases exponentially that it can be observed even on larger and slower mech, this is why you will find quite a few ppl in game right who appears to be shooting slightly behind the enemy all the time and missing... he is actually aiming right on the enemy counting for the projectile travel time, but the new hit detection went bonker and does not display the accurate. shot path and hit effect in his client

#17 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

View PostGen0, on 27 October 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

1. because you dont know how exactly they will work.
2. what if i think ahead and have some heatsinks buffer to compensate this so i would not drag my team down?
3. ah. already edited i see. there was a nice story of going cqc with atlas.
4. good luck with that. seriously do you think this is first incarnation of said build? or do you honestly think i never tried this or never met it in battle?
5. facepalm. no seriously. cabin hitbox is exactly center of mech. it can be reached from any angle aside rear ones. and in cqc default fire cone of ac20\srm of atlas will hit exactly this space. dont start on skills etc this is empty talk - the fact is % of death from cabin hits for CTPL is higher than for other mechs.

View Postdtgamemaster, on 27 October 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

a word of wisdom at last.

#18 M60

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

It comes down to play style ultimately. We provided an alternative to the gaussapault which i feel packs a really strong punch, its just pure satisfaction landing those shots. Its a build that challenges your accuracy, mobility, and tactics. Like dtgamemaster said, its a mech with no room for mistakes. If you have good accuracy and like to move in with your team, this becomes a huge assest to the team, a high damage close range mech. We all know what its like to get hit with an AC20, it shakes your screen and disorients you momentarily.. now times that by two, ya its like getting hit in the head with a steady stream of big rocks.

In response to Kurayami

how often do you hit moving mechs in the head with a gaussapault? Not everyone stands still. And if someone gets up close to you, your gauss's all of a sudden become less valuable and accurate. AND are you really going to argue that guass's up close will do more damage then an two ac20's?

I dont think you have tried this variant, honestly... it is now possible to do with the latest patch (which just came out). Once you try, you'll know how powerful it is. It is possible to put more speed in this mech as well (most likely at the cost of armor or ammo). I feel this is a good option to the tiring gaussapault.

You cant troll a guy for trying something new..

Whats the polar opposite to a long range sniper rifle? A close range shotgun.

This is what we have created, an ALTERNATIVE to a gausskat.

This is a very rewarding variant IF you have the skill and tactics to use it. Like a double barrel shotgun, get nice and close :o

*** im going to add one more thing, from experience

Most one on one duals i get into with a mech my size or less (within close to medium range), tend to back away or try to escape. Happens often

Edited by M60, 27 October 2012 - 03:10 AM.

#19 Fotracul

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostCyico, on 27 October 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

He don't know about 4xPPC K2.

you don't know about the bugged DHS either

#20 Gen0

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostKurayami, on 27 October 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

1. because you dont know how exactly they will work.
2. what if i think ahead and have some heatsinks buffer to compensate this so i would not drag my team down?
3. ah. already edited i see. there was a nice story of going cqc with atlas.
4. good luck with that. seriously do you think this is first incarnation of said build? or do you honestly think i never tried this or never met it in battle?
5. facepalm. no seriously. cabin hitbox is exactly center of mech. it can be reached from any angle aside rear ones. and in cqc default fire cone of ac20\srm of atlas will hit exactly this space. dont start on skills etc this is empty talk - the fact is % of death from cabin hits for CTPL is higher than for other mechs.

a word of wisdom at last.

1.Except I can, as all the information and the actual items are in the game right now, the effects that they are supposed to have just arent functional. That means I can build a mech on paper.
2. Exactly the same can be done for the AC20K2, completely negating the problem YOU suggested in the first place. Again you have no point, you are just trying to troll.
3. Umm... no there wasn't, look in the edit history. I said that whatever battle you had with a C1 has nothing to do with this fit. I only edited in that his example did have something to do with the fit.
4. You definitely haven't with DHS so stop talking and wait for the patch. That's the point of adding new non-direct fire parts. All of a sudden new fits that were ineffective become doable.
5. No. Cabin hitbox on a Catapult is exactly front centre. You obviously don't think in 3D. That means that by simple torso twisting (because the cabin protrudes forward) you can shift it to the left and right, and by doing that you can not only avoid damage on the cabin, but offload it to the torso sides. To spell it out for you, stop staring at the enemy 24/7 till you're in firing range, by then you've got bullet flare coming from your torso, their armour's melting and their HUD is rattling from two AC20s, they would have to be hella good to still headshot you at that point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users