my newly constructed battlemech cockpit!

245 replies to this topic

#141 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hell yeah that's tight

#142 Jiri Starrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationCalafia, Caid (San Diego, CA)

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Wow...

Just... Wow.

I'm pretty handy with tools and have a 12" compound sliding mitre chop saw. I could do the angles. I have the space.

Perbroblem.

The Wife. Anyone need a spare redhead?

:D

#143 Alcatraz968

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationBehind You!

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

That almost bring a tear to my soulless eyes. Great job.

Would love to see a video of you in game also

#144 jlbdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationvermont

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

ok this looks great!! i had similar ideas for a cockpit. and i am in the same boat as most of you(being broke). i work in roofing and all the scrap plywood we throw away i keep to build a cockpit and over the years i have amassed many computer parts and joy sticks key boards etc... I will be constructing my cockpit soon and if turbo dont mind I will borrow some of his designs. the lighted keyboard is a must by the way lol. great sim base turbo!!

#145 Sakon

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!! I was watching this when my wife walks into the office..stands behind me and watches it as well...at the conclusion she told me "if i was planning on something like that i had better make it comfy because i will be sleeping there". i replied with " bargained well and done!"

#146 00seven

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

" in a battleship grey color"

I love that line.

Awesome pit, very cool touches throughout, like the lighting to be blue/white or blue/blue, speakers beneath grilles, all superb stuff! But really...where's the drink holder? :D

#147 Tenrai

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDeep in Davion controlled space aboard the Overlord class dropship Nobara

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Can hardly put into words how cool that is...Gives me inspiration to do a similiar project when funds and time permit...Thanks again for sharing this with us!

#148 Nemesiis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 138 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Amazing. Great job !!!

#149 Fonix

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

wow that is cool. immersion level over 9000

#150 W0lfnMan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'm not sure the forums rules of conduct would allow me to truly express, metaphorically, what this did for me. To say this is awesome would be doing an injustice to the word. Kudos to you.

#151 Inmora

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Sir, you have totaly inspired me. I love it!!!

#152 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostHolski77, on 29 June 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

You are going to be lacking in some serious vitamin D when this game comes out.
But so will I.

They make supplements for that :-)

#153 W0lfnMan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Having now watched the video...dear sweet 8lb baby Jesus. I'm tempted to ask you to design and build me a mech cockpit.

I don't mean to seem the noob, but I would love to see how those side screens come into action. Perhaps I've missed a few years of game development but I am used to a video card only outputting full screen to one display.

TO THE COMMUNITY: Tell me I'm a moron and then explain how I can make multi-monitor work for games I a will both accept your written abuse and your education on how I might accomplish this magical feat.

Again, this may be the most awesome thing I've seen in years....what's that say about me?

#154 SOGNeon

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

very nice...I am still trying to figure out how to squeeze a modular cockpit into my apartment here...I might hae to settle for desktop for a while longer. lookforward to sharing the field with you.

#155 Frankdark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

I hope you don´t mind.
I had just a carpenter here and showed him youre cockpit to build me the same *G*

#156 BoomerZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 127 posts
  • LocationEngland......UK......

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostTurbo Corvair, on 01 April 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

I've mentioned this project quite a bit the past couple weeks as I've been working on it and a few people asked that I show it off when it was ready so here it is!

The outside dimensions of the whole thing are only 6 feet wide by 4 feet 3 inches deep. Any ceiling height would be fine. I am only 5'8" which helps, the 4'3" depth would have to be increased a little to allow for a taller player. When I eventually move I'll rebuild it as a free standing unit. This build every inch counted to get it into a corner that wasn't quite big enough so I used two of the house walls. Still, I only put about 12 screw holes in the wall, nothing attached to the floor, and nothing attached to the ceiling.

The video is a little rough, but set it to the HD resolution on youtube anyway so you can see as much detail as possible.

For those who don't want to watch a video, best pic I could manage:
Posted Image
My newly constructed SimPit (simulator cockpit) primarily intended for the upcoming release of MechWarrior Online.

Some things I failed to mention in the video:

The flat area between the keyboard and monitor is there primarily to provide a good place to mount my Logitech MOMO racing wheel for racing games (also swap in the pedals). It also provides a good place to place drinks and snacks.

The mouse and G13 gamepad can easily be moved to behind the joystick and throttle for normal use. The video shows things where they will be when playing MWO.

My triple 28" monitors are set up with AMD Eyefinity, where I can span games across all three monitors when I want, giving me a wider field of view. This is particularly enjoyable when playing racing games.

There is an adjustable crossover mounted on the wall near my left foot that allows me to adjust the butt-kicker on the chair.

I mention the SteelSeries WoW Legendary mouse but not the reason I'm using it. It's an 11 button mouse where I find nearly all the buttons convenient and easy to use. The WoW mouse series are the ONLY ones I've seen with the buttons that are between the primary right and left click and the scroll wheel. I find these to be one of the best locations there is for extra mouse buttons and only these mice have them. Those two buttons are about 90% of the reason I bought this mouse. For those who have had one of the other WoW mice, the "legendary" seems to be of much better quality. It is considerably smaller than the others and at first I felt it was too small, but I quickly adapted.

The speaker setup mentioned (and the control shown) is a Logitech X540. The HOTAS and rudder pedal setup is a G940 flight control system. The Keyboard is a G19, and the gamepad (nostromo type thing) is a G13.
Lastly, I mentioned that I just replaced a Razer keyboard and Nostromo. The biggest problem with these was that the coating quickly wore off the keys which looked really horrible since they are backlit. I really liked them when new, but the fact that Razer considers this "normal wear and tear" bothers me. I've never before had a keyboard do that, and it is not acceptable to me.

My Daughter has just moved to her new house and left me with a spare room....erm I wonder.... :lol: :)

#157 LegionZero

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

GOOD LORD!!!! Legendary and Epic just isn't good enough to descripe that... a word have to be invented to describe the sheer awesomeness of that cockpit

#158 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

DAT AMOUNT OF MONEY

#159 Kris Osis

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationon the way from Huntress to Terra

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

omg....real Freak...i love it

#160 Ublernoobler

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWollongong, Australia

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

Absolutely amazing. Good job sir! Just filled with Jealousy right now :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users