I am curious, lets discuss the raven!

49 replies to this topic

#1 ripperzipper

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

I want to know what people out there think about the raven and what loadouts you like to use, I love the look of this chassis and want to get more personal with it but also want to hear what others are saying about it etc.

#2 Evil Deaz

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPR

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

Well i enjoy piloting a raven myself. currently using the 3L variant, which isn't to bad, still messing around w/ the loadout, still trying to find that perfect loadout

#3 Telthalion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

Ravens are my preferred 'mech. They're pretty slow for lights, which can be detrimental in scout-skirmishes or if you get caught in the crossfire of the big boys. But they have a sense of style that makes everyone else on the battlefield jealous. And if you play carefully you can still cause a lot of havoc.

The build that I've had the most success with so far is a 3L with a pair of Medium Lasers, a pair of SSRM2s and a TAG. (With the placeholder GECM and BAP in, so I don't throw off my build once those actually do something.) It covers all the electronics warfare that Ravens are iconic for and still has the speed and firepower to mix things up with anyone who comes poking their nose in on you.

I tried a dual AC/2 RVN-4X to pick people apart from extreme range, but I found it too unreliable to recommend widely. When an enemy scout came after me it was pretty much game over. Though it did have its moments to shine when distracting enemy snipers/LRMs from the cover of an alleyway.

For fun I spent a day running around in a 2X swinging a pair of ERPPCs. It's amusing watching people freak out when they see you fire for the first time but, alas, I'm not a good enough shot with PPCs to be very effective.

Edited by Telthalion, 29 October 2012 - 02:04 AM.

#4 Polarice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

View PostEvil Deaz, on 29 October 2012 - 01:35 AM, said:

Well i enjoy piloting a raven myself. currently using the 3L variant, which isn't to bad, still messing around w/ the loadout, still trying to find that perfect loadout

I've enjoyed the 3l as well. I've found the 3l good with 2streaks and energy slots with medium pulse. Ams and a fast engine round it out, I'd recommend about 127km or more to help get you out of trouble. Once they released the 3l I have not gone back to the others.

#5 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:10 AM

raven is alot of fun... i like the handling and the feel of it... it offers some good variations for loadouts...

i gotta admit the most fun setup i had so far was 2 medium lasers, some LRM( i think it was a 5? ) and a tag...
i used it as direct fire attack missle carrier, which was so much fun^^^... guess i will try it with all the new stuff with a more powerful setup

but to be honest, i always try to build it to run at least 105kph...

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 29 October 2012 - 02:11 AM.

#6 Blackfire1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

I... I tried... I've been piloting Mediums for so long.... Lights are too wirey for me. :P

#7 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Regarding its possible armor, its speed, weight, and armament its a nice ride.
Considering its chassis shape I would prefer the Jenner or a Commando when doing hit and run or raidings.
He's a nice spoter or recon mech but its chassis shape makes it vulnerable.
At least thats the feeling when I was hunting Ravens. Jenners are tougher.

#8 Atheris

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

I loved the Raven... until they put in the Cicada. Now I can't bring myself to go back to the raven, I don't see any advantage of it. Maybe that will change once EWar is in.

#9 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

I had a lot of fun with a ER PPC Raven build, sniping GaussCats and LRM boats from afar, and running away really fast (120 Km/h) when someone gets close. Until last week, I was trying a LRM 15 build and it was surprisingly effective, moving fast through the battlefield and getting easily away from trouble. That's will be my first mech after open beta for sure.

#10 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

Raven ftw. :P He is maybe nothing compared to the other Ligthmechs, but true Love goes over efficiency.

My personal most liked Config is RVN-4X with an LRM 20 an Massive Ammo. His speed of 78 k/ph, 64 k/ph before the Patch, and lack of other Weapons leaves him vunerable to counterattacks, but he do his job if u play him carefully. And for many Gamers, a Raven isnt the Primarytarget. So somtimes i realy can unload 1200 Missles and more. :wub:

Second Build, after the RepPrices are got to high, is the dual AC/2 RVN-4X. Its verry funny to enforce LRM-Boats an other Mechs with the constant BämBäm to seek Cover. Suspressionfire is his job, but the Agro build up with this tactic, is high and risky.

Well, bouth Builds are done with the Game if any Mech comes to figth 1 vs 1 with them. But till then, they are doing surprising well. :P

Edited by Revorn, 29 October 2012 - 03:52 AM.

#11 Dandyman

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCentral PA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

The Raven (4X) and Dragon (1N) are my two favorite mechs, because I tend to play the same style with them. That being said, one of the things I do best with the Dragon is ... kill Ravens. My favorite loadout on the 4x included 2 MPLs, 2 MGs (yeah I know) and the biggest LRM I could fit depending on my engine, etc. I nicknamed the build the "Longbow" because I tended to use it like the Army uses the Apache Longbow. Pop up either via JJs ot a tall hill, acquire and launch missiles. Get the hell out and move somewhere else. Jenners and Dragons can rip you to shreds in no time, but you can cause some serious damage this way. My second favorite build would use Streaks and MPLs to take care of those damn jenners.

#12 Boitameuh

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

I'm the proud owner of a 4X with the biggest possible XL engine (can't remember, 245 maybe?) 2 medium pulse lasers and one SRM6 with 2t of ammo. Firepower is rated 27, full armor, FF and DHS, AMS.

Perfect mech to flank and finish big boys with SRM6 volleys, and can totally stand a fight against lights thanks to the dual MPLas. Most beautiful cockpit too...

#13 BL00D RAVEN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:02 AM

The raven is not a good mech- I use it for the style
the dragon goes as fast as the standard ravens.
the jenner can have better firepower.
I like the raven 2x with max engines and 1 ERPPC and small lasers
The first time you upgrade the engine, the mech feels completely different.

#14 Gen Kumon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostBL00D RAVEN, on 29 October 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

The raven is not a good mech- I use it for the style
the dragon goes as fast as the standard ravens.
the jenner can have better firepower.
I like the raven 2x with max engines and 1 ERPPC and small lasers
The first time you upgrade the engine, the mech feels completely different.

Jenner can't mount an AC/2. Jenner can't mount for than 2 crit slots worth of missiles.

Not to mention they're meant for different roles in general. If you pilot a Raven like a Jenner, yeah, Jenner's better. Raven works as a sniper, and when ECM etc. is in, it'll be better at that. If I recall, it also has more module slots than a Jenner, so as more modules are added, it'll have that too.

#15 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

The Raven was my favorite mech before the most recent patch (the one that lowered its max speed from 139 to 111).

If I'm gonna use a Light mech, I just plain need the speed to survive. A slow Light mech serves absolutely not purpose, it's just like a big mech except with significantly fewer weapons and less armor.

#16 CRF Hawkeye

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNetherlands, Europe

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

the raven rules,.. the ecm edition anyways,.. messed around with the loadouts and found the perfect one for me:

RVN-3L "the ultimate scout"
Loadout used:
2x Medium Laser
2x Streak SRM 2
TAG
11 Dubbel Heatsinks
C.A.S.E.
Beagle Active Probe
XL Engine 295

Specifications:
Speed (kph) - 136.5
Firepower - 20
Armor - Ferro Fibrous
Structure - Endo Steel
currently playing the other chassis to get to mastery level but damm the other one's are crap compare to this one

Edited by CRF Hawkeye, 18 January 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#17 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

The 3L has a PGI forced variant, which is 3 ML, and 2sSSRM2.

The 4x has a variety of loadouts that will never ever make it competitive against the ECM lights
The 2x can be good, until it runs into an ECM light with streaks, or any light that can outmaneuver it.

That's all.

#18 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

It's amazing how much opinions of the Raven have changed since ECM came out. I for one refuse to play mine now since I feel dirty when I do.

#19 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

The 2x with 4 med pulse and an srm6 is a pretty good mech.....until you run into an ecm light. I actually enjoy running around with it, and then a 3L or commando 2B find me, and I begin cursing.

#20 Siluss

• Pip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I have 2 ravens right now.

my 3L has 3 med lasers srm 6 and ssrm 2: they are the best against lights but i use the srm for bigger targets.

and my 4x has 2 med pulse lasers srm 4 and ac/5: better for bigger targets i find when i hit with my missles and cannon im good at hitting the same spot and taking off armor fast and have gotten used to using the ac at 100+ speeds while going around big mechs. I also like to keep this one in urban areas as if i run into another light i will tear him up because he doesnt have anywhere else to run.

on my 4X i was getting out manuvered by a cammando earler so i stopped then so did he so he could keep hitting me an alpha took out his armour and made the exo go orange.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users